RIAT 2018 wishlist

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
F-5F

Re: RIAT 2018 wishlist

Post by F-5F »

verreli wrote:
I think RIAT isn't necessarily the place to be seen, but the place to 'meet'. This will likely continue, especially if the organisers make this a feature of the show, albeit one not available to the general public. The evolution (decline) of the Farnborough trade show has almost certainly had an effect on RIAT. This is likely to continue. The one curve ball is what influence the American presence at Fairford will have in the future.

Based on today's update I think you are correct Verreli. 50 airships compared to 37 at this point last year!! From my personal point of view I couldn't care less about this statistic and don't consider this an update (are RIAT struggling to find things to tell us?) unless each of them bring some of their pilots/aircraft.

AngryAndyPandy

Post by AngryAndyPandy »

F-5F wrote:are RIAT struggling to find things to tell us?

No.

CJS

Post by CJS »

F-5F wrote:
verreli wrote:
I think RIAT isn't necessarily the place to be seen, but the place to 'meet'. This will likely continue, especially if the organisers make this a feature of the show, albeit one not available to the general public. The evolution (decline) of the Farnborough trade show has almost certainly had an effect on RIAT. This is likely to continue. The one curve ball is what influence the American presence at Fairford will have in the future.

Based on today's update I think you are correct Verreli. 50 airships compared to 37 at this point last year!! From my personal point of view I couldn't care less about this statistic and don't consider this an update (are RIAT struggling to find things to tell us?) unless each of them bring some of their pilots/aircraft.

In case you'd missed it, today they also confirmed participation from 4 air arms, including one from the other side of the world and one bringing 50% of it's C-27js for the static display.

Last week we had confirmed another popular fast jet display and 2 rarely seen classic jets for the static park.

So no, it doesn't seem like they're struggling to me. But hey, keep bashing them, I'm sure it at least helps with team morale. :surrender: :up:
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

F-5F

Post by F-5F »

CJS wrote:
F-5F wrote:
verreli wrote:

In case you'd missed it, today they also confirmed participation from 4 air arms, including one from the other side of the world and one bringing 50% of it's C-27js for the static display.

Last week we had confirmed another popular fast jet display and 2 rarely seen classic jets for the static park.

So no, it doesn't seem like they're struggling to me. But hey, keep bashing them, I'm sure it at least helps with team morale. :surrender: :up:

Didn't miss it. Don't be so patronising. Or are you another part-timer at DBH?

Are we not allowed to question participants (or lack of). Where did you think I got the information about the airships. This was my main point. Who cares about airships? Was great to see the Wedgetail last year but can't get excited about it this year sorry CJS. As for Solo Turk - always impressive but seen it before. And 50% of 2nr is 1nr!! :lmao:

All DBH can do is invite countries to participate - understood. It seems as though there may be some reluctance to participate which needs understanding. Compared to the Radom update it is disappointing. There is time and undoubtedly things will improve and hopefully we will get a Radom style update in a few weeks - I sincerely hope so.

Apologies for voicing my opinion and daring to question DBH. After all a week's attendance with a hotel thrown in doesn't cost much. I thought this was a forum for discussion. Maybe I shouldn't get involved. :pinkwafer:

Gonzo230

Post by Gonzo230 »

Do you not think that having a high number of ‘airships’ is a good thing?

That if a Chief of Air Staff attends RIAT and the hospitality along with their partner, and has a great experience, they’d be more likely to want to return, and perhaps more likely to authorise aircraft attendance in the following years?

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

That's a mantra which is often chanted, but is there any real evidence that that happens?
I think it's only been reported as happening once in recent years, hasn't it?
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Gonzo230

Post by Gonzo230 »

Brevet Cable wrote:That's a mantra which is often chanted, but is there any real evidence that that happens?
I think it's only been reported as happening once in recent years, hasn't it?

All those years and all those relationships and it’s only made a difference once? Really?

At this level a lot of it is about developing relationships, building networks, cultivating the Air Attaches, and as such is relatively nebulous. Not sure how that could happen if the hospitality programme for foreign CASs wasn’t there.

I imagine DBH reckon it works, given they effort they put in to it.

I certainly don’t think it detracts from the airshow itself, does it?

It’s like the amazing level of organisation that goes on behind the scenes for the visiting flight and ground crews. Everything is laid on for them, so that a side effect of their attendance is that they return back to their unit wanting to come back the following year.

We’ve seen it in social media posts where people have claimed ‘so and so is coming back next year because I talked to the pilot and he said he’d love to’ etc etc. This can only be a good thing.

Get the crews wanting to come back, get the Chiefs wanting to come back, and that’s a little of the battle won.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

You may want to re-read my post......if you do, you'll see that I'm asking a question not making an empirical statement.
I don't do 'social media', so have no idea what's been claimed on there.
As stated, I can only recall one instance in recent years where it was reported that an air arm has attended with aircraft the year after their 'Airship' has attended.
Have there been more? I don't know -- hence the question.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

CJS

Post by CJS »

F-5F wrote:
CJS wrote:
F-5F wrote:
verreli wrote:

Didn't miss it. Don't be so patronising. Or are you another part-timer at DBH?

Are we not allowed to question participants (or lack of). Where did you think I got the information about the airships. This was my main point. Who cares about airships? Was great to see the Wedgetail last year but can't get excited about it this year sorry CJS. As for Solo Turk - always impressive but seen it before. And 50% of 2nr is 1nr!! :lmao:

All DBH can do is invite countries to participate - understood. It seems as though there may be some reluctance to participate which needs understanding. Compared to the Radom update it is disappointing. There is time and undoubtedly things will improve and hopefully we will get a Radom style update in a few weeks - I sincerely hope so.

Apologies for voicing my opinion and daring to question DBH. After all a week's attendance with a hotel thrown in doesn't cost much. I thought this was a forum for discussion. Maybe I shouldn't get involved. :pinkwafer:

I suggest you try reading your post again - you asked if dbh had anything to tell us, when what you really meant (I suspect) is that they didn't have anything to tell us that you wanted to hear - hardly the same thing.

I wasn't being patronising, merely addressing your question.
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

Berf

Post by Berf »

Brevet Cable wrote:You may want to re-read my post......if you do, you'll see that I'm asking a question not making an empirical statement.
I don't do 'social media', so have no idea what's been claimed on there.
As stated, I can only recall one instance in recent years where it was reported that an air arm has attended with aircraft the year after their 'Airship' has attended.
Have there been more? I don't know -- hence the question.

The ability to interact with other 'air chiefs' and discuss issues with crews and their opportunity to do the same with other crews sometimes in an informal way as well as semi official way was an important part of the decision to send Swedish Gripen aircraft to the show - according to the Swedish air attache with whom I spoke three or four years ago. I doubt if it is different for many other air arms.

verreli

Post by verreli »

Berf wrote:The ability to interact with other 'air chiefs' and discuss issues with crews and their opportunity to do the same with other crews sometimes in an informal way as well as semi official way was an important part of the decision to send Swedish Gripen aircraft to the show - according to the Swedish air attache with whom I spoke three or four years ago. I doubt if it is different for many other air arms.

Agree. RIAT for the enthusiast will have much more longevity and variety if this continues and expands. The UK is an 'effort' to get to for many of the nations that attend so there must be some payback for the airarm itself. Think of it like a global tigermeet with a dedicated airshow. I can say that the CAS's that attend do take pride in having their aircraft display at the show and this helps with attendance. Why do you think some nations come back year after year?

As for the Farnborough link, when you have a concentrated grouping of potential customers at an event, it doesn't hurt to give your product extra exposure. Sure, an airarm isn't going to go shopping for a new F-18 just because they saw it fly at RIAT but marketing is far more complex than that. I'm actually surprised LM, Boeing et al haven't sent products on off Farnborough years given the exposure it would give and relatively low cost (vs their marketing budget).

Gonzo230

Post by Gonzo230 »

Apologies Brevet, I was reading too much into your question.

But why/how would anyone not involved know how useful the Chiefs of Air Staff programme is?

It appeared to me as if it was being dismissed by some posters, without any thought to its use.

In terms of social media, I would categorise Internet fora as a part of social media, and indeed I’m sure I’ve seen such remarks here before. To be honest I don’t go to any other enthusiast forums, nor follow many on Twitter, so come to think of it I’ve only ever seen it here.

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Now the ingredients are being added to the cake, I can't help but fantasise about how awesome it would be to see the Buff & Bone return to flying like in the 00's where one would display after another. One can dream ay? :love:

davidjones533

Post by davidjones533 »

Last edited by davidjones533 on Wed 12 Sep 2018, 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

I remember last year a european airshow was due to have a flying Ukrainian SU-24 might have been CIAF? But i don’t recall it coming to fruition. Correct me if i’m wrong. That would be seriously special. (I know state the obvious)

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

Was thinking would be great if RAF could do a 4 ship heritage flight so to speak of Spitfire Hurricane Typhoon and Tornado
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Every year when i'm hoping against hope for almost impossible additions to the participation, 'Su-24' comes to mind...

138EAW

Post by 138EAW »

Looks like the Belgians have a NH90 SAR demo, would be nice too see after last year's Sea King
Gary

Wes_Howes

Post by Wes_Howes »

Would be great to see the CH-53K, I'd say it's likely to be at FIA.

duffspeed

Post by duffspeed »

How about an Mi-26? Has anybody seen one fly, even at MAKS?

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Wes_Howes wrote:Would be great to see the CH-53K, I'd say it's likely to be at FIA.

Seconded. Beast for the static park!

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

duffspeed wrote:How about an Mi-26? Has anybody seen one fly, even at MAKS?

There was one last year, took part in the daily helicopter flypast which opened the show at MAKS. It's an almighty beast of a thing:

by Gordon Duncan, on Flickr

by Gordon Duncan, on Flickr

Odds of seeing one in the UK: sadly negligible I feel, unless the manufacturer popped up with a type-demonstrator for Farnborough.
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

duffspeed wrote:How about an Mi-26? Has anybody seen one fly, even at MAKS?

It flew at Farnborough in 84, in Aeroflot colours. It appeared again at Farnborough, but I don't think it appeared in the flying display again after 84. That is to say, I didn't see it fly again after 84. As Gordon says, an absolute beast. Huge.

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Can't help thinking after the recent additions of the Rafale, Couteau Delta & the Romanian Mig the Wingwalkers will be the icing on the cake. :wat:

Rossbeef

Post by Rossbeef »

For me, just a Ukrainian Flanker display and it would not bother me if anything else did not turn up!

Fantastic looking show and congratulations to DBH for their efforts.