RIAT 2018 wishlist

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
harkins

Re: RIAT 2018 wishlist

Post by harkins »

Given the news today that North Korean leader Kim Jong-un and US President Donald Trump are to meet in person by May and that according to South Korean officials that Mr Kim is "committed to denuclearisation", I think it's time that DBH start drafting that invitation letter :lol:

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

verreli wrote:In the next 3 months the line up for this special RIAT year will be announced. To date we have F16, F-18, F35 and Gripen. It's unimaginable that UK Typhoon will not also join the line up. That's a fantastic line up for any air show but what other types are possible? Please add your thoughts.

A-4 - Independent - Maybe static
A-10 - USAF - Unlikely
B1 - USAF - Possible static
B2 - USAF - Possible static
B-52 - USAF - Possible Static
F-4 - Greek - Unlikely
F-5 - Turkey - Possible due to Turkish Stars
F-14 - Iran - No
F-15C - Singapore - Wishful - 100 Anniversary jet
F-15E - USAF - Possible Static
F-18F - Boeing - Possible due to Farnborough
F-18G - Australia - Outside chance due to RAF100
F-22 - USAF - No
GR-4 - UK - Likely Flyby
J-10 - China - Maybe with August 1st
J-20 - China - Outside chance due to Farnborough
JF-17 - Pakistan - Possible due to Farnborough
Mig29 - Poland - Possible
Su-30 - India - Low
Su-35 - Malaysia - Low
Su-57 - Russia - No
U-2 - USAF - Maybe Static
Harrier - USMC/Spain - Unlikely
Hawk - UK - Likely Flyby and Red Arrows
Jaguar - India - Unlikely
Rafale - France - Low - Attended last year
Mirage - UAE - Maybe Static

That is just a random list of nonsense which may as well include Concorde, Space Shuttle and USS Enterprise. Singapore haven't got F-15Cs either. Fingers crossed for those Iranians though. :roll:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

red_snow

Post by red_snow »

I won't post a long list:
USMC AV-8B Harrier II
Italian Navy AV-8B Harrier II
or
Spanish Navy AV-8B Harrier II

If multiple, then even better and someone let Art Nalls bring the SHAR as well!

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

CJS

Post by CJS »

See what you should do is wish for a Harrier or something, then at least we'd know what you wanted... :tongue:

capercaille, in verreli's (somewhat meagre) defence, he does append his Iranian Tomcat wish with 'no'.

Still, it's an odd list, even for a wishlist. I've got a few more:

MiG-29, KPAAF - no
An-24, KPAAF - no
F-117, USAF - no :ninja:
Denel Rooivalk, SAAF - Outside chance due to RAF100... :tumbleweed:
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

red_snow wrote:
USMC AV-8B Harrier II
and Spanish Navy AV-8B Harrier II

just corrected that for you. :up:

davidjones533

Post by davidjones533 »

Last edited by davidjones533 on Tue 11 Sep 2018, 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

verreli

Post by verreli »

davidjones533 wrote:The RSAF F-15SG (for capercaillie) special scheme does look fantastic. Given that this is a wish list... they are celebrating their 50th Anniversary, and given the long history of the RAF in Singapore and the support given by the RAF in establishing the RSAF, it would be great if they could make a visit here in the summer (there is also a gap in their events in June and July :lol: ).

Agreed Dave. I think a couple of typos crept into my original post. The list was more about types and the possibility of getting them than air arms although I listed the most likely air arm with an active display aircraft. Obviously I'd 'wish' for them to all come but I've also tried to inject a dose of reality. Is the F117 still flying? In the case of the harrier, the more the merrier. Such an iconic British machine, even if the latter ones were American.

red_snow

Post by red_snow »

CJS wrote:See what you should do is wish for a Harrier or something, then at least we'd know what you wanted... :tongue:

CAN WE HAVE HARRIERS?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

red_snow

Post by red_snow »

capercaillie wrote:
red_snow wrote:
USMC AV-8B Harrier II
and Spanish Navy AV-8B Harrier II

just corrected that for you. :up:

Now that is more like it :lol: :clap:

CJS

Post by CJS »

There are categorically no F-117s still flying...hence my ninja...

I would suggest we're about as likely to see one at RIAT this year as we are an Iranian Tomcat. ;-)

Berf

Post by Berf »

CJS wrote:There are categorically no F-117s still flying...hence my ninja...

I would suggest we're about as likely to see one at RIAT this year as we are an Iranian Tomcat. ;-)

Really? Take a look at this https://theaviationist.com/2017/11/24/the-day-after-an-f-117-was-spotted-on-a-trailer-in-southern-nevada-another-one-was-photographed-flying-with-an-f-16-near-rachel/ although I still would not expect to see it at RIAT :smile:

CJS

Post by CJS »

No no I was...oh nevermind...

Roughcutter

Post by Roughcutter »

Pair of scooters.... :whistle:

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

They've had them there for years.....you'll find them on the Honda stand....

I think they should go for the historic ones this year, though....

:whistle:
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Airwolfhound

Post by Airwolfhound »

With the Danish Lynx now retired, it would be nice to see if an MH-60R would attend RIAT this year :-)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)

Roughcutter

Post by Roughcutter »

Brevet Cable wrote:They've had them there for years.....you'll find them on the Honda stand....

I think they should go for the historic ones this year, though....

:whistle:

His and her's :lol: Nostalgia trip! Used to ride a nifty90 in the 1970's when I was a young apprentice, great little runner when the weather was good but got pissed off with flying off it when the roads were icey. So I swapped it with a mate for an air rifle! I was young and daft then :roll:

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

Would be great to see the Rafale Marine pair at Fairford someday and not just Yeovilton.

Go4Long

Post by Go4Long »

Flare Path wrote:Would be great to see the Rafale Marine pair at Fairford someday and not just Yeovilton.

As they belong to the Navy it actually completely makes sense for them to be at yeovilton and not Fairford.

harkins

Post by harkins »

Go4Long wrote:As they belong to the Navy it actually completely makes sense for them to be at yeovilton and not Fairford.

The naval link does make sense for them appearing at Yeovilton, but there’s no reason I know of that precludes naval air arms appearing at the Air Tattoo. And plenty of non naval types appear at both RIAT and Yeovilton.

The biggest problem RIAT seems to have with anything French is often clashing with Bastille day, as it does again this year.

CJS

Post by CJS »

harkins wrote:
Go4Long wrote:As they belong to the Navy it actually completely makes sense for them to be at yeovilton and not Fairford.

The naval link does make sense for them appearing at Yeovilton, but there’s no reason I know of that precludes naval air arms appearing at the Air Tattoo. And plenty of non naval types appear at both RIAT and Yeovilton.

The biggest problem RIAT seems to have with anything French is often clashing with Bastille day, as it does again this year.

None whatsoever, which is why it regularly happens! Go4Long's point (I presume) is that it makes more sense, not that RIAT cannot have naval participation, which quite patently it can.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Good grief, people spout gibberish on here.

They belong to the Navy? Probably one of the most ridiculous reasons ever given on here. So the Royal Navy, US Navy, Belgian Navy, Australian Navy, Polish Navy, Dutch Navy, Spanish Navy, Italian Navy, Japanese Maritime Defence, Danish Navy, German Navy, Pakistan Navy and any others I've not mentioned should only go to Yeovilton as well because its Navy?

IAT has a very enviable reputation when it comes to Aeronavale participation at IAT/RIAT over the years has included- Neptune, Atlantic, Atlantique 2, Alize, Hawkeye, Crusader, Etendard IV, Super Etendard, Rafale, Paris, Nord 262, Falcon 10, Falcon 50, Super Frelon, Lynx, many of which have participated in the flying display, and at almost every Tattoo until around 2000.

The whole reason we'd like the Rafale pair at Fairford rather than Yeovilton is because at least we could watch them without having to look directly towards the sun all day, especially since they've cocked up what used to be one of the most enjoyable venues to visit and watch arrivals and enjoy the evening photocall.

As for Bastille Day, last year I was expecting the reason we wouldn't see most of the lovely French specials kicking around at RIAT was they would be used in the flypasts over Paris and none of them were. So they clearly weren't short of airframes then.

Yeovilton seems to be benefitting very well from RIAT this year in sharing acts, the Rafale pair and Atlantique 2 wouldn't be a bad trade off for once.

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Well said.
Theres been many occasions when its been Bastille day and the French have still rocked up flying the flag. Never understood the worry to be honest. Its not exactly like France is a massive distance either. :dizzy:

RiatMarketing

Post by RiatMarketing »

The Thunderbirds did of course depart Fairford on the Friday last year to take part in Bastille Day, before returning and displaying; comfortably doing both within a short period of time.
Air Tattoo Marketing Team

CJS

Post by CJS »

RiatMarketing wrote:The Thunderbirds did of course depart Fairford on the Friday last year to take part in Bastille Day, before returning and displaying; comfortably doing both within a short period of time.

This is presumably covert confirmation of a Patrouille de France flypast on July 14th then... :wink:

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

CJS wrote:
RiatMarketing wrote:The Thunderbirds did of course depart Fairford on the Friday last year to take part in Bastille Day, before returning and displaying; comfortably doing both within a short period of time.

This is presumably covert confirmation of a Patrouille de France flypast on July 14th then... :wink:
I prefer a display over a flypast.

Launching and recovering a lot of the Bastille day flypast at Fairford would be great, I think it would give an extra thrill in the hours before the display starts. If it fits in with the timetable of the show, as we are now having a longer display at July 14 than last year?

P.S. We of course also had a flypast of one PdF Alpha Jet after it did its Paris appointment.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program