RIAT 2018 wishlist

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
RIAT Air Ops

Re: RIAT 2018 wishlist

Post by RIAT Air Ops »

F-5F wrote:Further to my post above regarding the Couteau Delta disappointment to be fair to other countries what do they get from the UK? Why should they send display items?

On a separate issue I note the Swiss Hornet is confirmed flying for Scottish airshow. Just checked the confirmed list by Boff for RIAT and it seems to be lagging behind Cosford and Yeovilton albeit they are a couple of weeks earlier. I'm wondering whether harkins might be right and this may not live up to expectations despite the amazing ticket sales already. Come on DBH, throw us a bone, let's have some flying updates and start getting excited.

Come on, January has only just started! With the majority of foreign air arms yet to work through their ratification process to then confirm what their support to any shows will look like then its hardly a case of us "throwing you a bone". Irrespective of what Cosford/Yeovilton/Scottish Air Show are putting out most Air Arms are only just starting to pick up after the Christmas & New Year break. I'll repeat that we don't announce anything until we have a formal notification from the respective nations; even then that is subject to change and in some cases sooner than we would like!

Tom

Chopper81

Post by Chopper81 »

Spotty_Jag wrote:
harkins wrote:Having said that, what else really do the French have to offer for a flying display?

Going on what was offered in 2017, the French Air Force should have the following display assets available:

Patrouille de France (8x Alpha Jet)
L'équipe de Voltige (2x Extra 300SC)
Couteau Delta (2x Mirage 2000D - Tactical Display)
Rafale (Solo Display)
Alpha Jet (Solo Display)

So still plenty of options for the French Air Force to support the flying display at RIAT 2018, even without Couteau Delta.

The French do also have Navy displays, the Rafale pair at Yeovilton was a highlight for me in 2017! Not to say RIAT would get them, this is a wishlist tho :biggrin:

Go4Long

Post by Go4Long »

Chopper81 wrote:
Spotty_Jag wrote:
harkins wrote:Having said that, what else really do the French have to offer for a flying display?

Going on what was offered in 2017, the French Air Force should have the following display assets available:

Patrouille de France (8x Alpha Jet)
L'équipe de Voltige (2x Extra 300SC)
Couteau Delta (2x Mirage 2000D - Tactical Display)
Rafale (Solo Display)
Alpha Jet (Solo Display)

So still plenty of options for the French Air Force to support the flying display at RIAT 2018, even without Couteau Delta.

The French do also have Navy displays, the Rafale pair at Yeovilton was a highlight for me in 2017! Not to say RIAT would get them, this is a wishlist though :biggrin:

The Rafale pair is the second best "not a display team" display that I've ever seen...second only to the awesome A2A and A2G demos put on by Nellis every year at their show where they fly the snot out of everything they've got...side by side full afterburner low transitions by F-15's, flare dumps by the F-16's, F-15's, and this year the F-35's.

spotterwilliam

Post by spotterwilliam »

That's exactly what RIAT is missing, a good air power demo.

And, as this is the wishlist thread, my wishlist is a NATO airfield attack demonstration... :wink:

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Collings Foundation F4. Will cost a bomb, but if shoved in to back of a C17 it is possible? Or am i in cloud cuckoo land.

vulcanshammer

Post by vulcanshammer »

Airshowhammer wrote:Collings Foundation F4. Will cost a bomb, but if shoved in to back of a C17 it is possible? Or am i in cloud cuckoo land.

Probably, but it is a wishlist! :lol: Let's hope they chuck in the Skyhawk while they are at it! Then wheel in a Spanish or US Harrier for a dogfight :biggrin:
The sooner the world runs out of cotton wool the better

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Airshowhammer wrote:Collings Foundation F4. Will cost a bomb, but if shoved in to back of a C17 it is possible? Or am i in cloud cuckoo land.

They might not be too happy about that. :whistle:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

SPLAT

Post by SPLAT »

Having seen the invited countries today , more of a dream than wish list
Civilian AN225
Ecuadorian IAI KFIR
Hellenic Apache
Jap Navy Shinmaywa
Mexican Mil26
Indian Navy MIG29
Chinese airforce display team August 1st
Peruvian SU25 Tiger marked
USAF A10 Demo team
Vietnamese SU27
I have a dream , a very large dream :grin:

SPLAT

Post by SPLAT »

The Canadian showed the way in 2017 , by bringing in the Chinook , so ferrying a F4 in a USAF display C5, C17 etc is feasable , but as said , cost is everything

Steve p

Post by Steve p »

As it is the RAFs centenry it would be nice to see some of the RAFs most iconic aircraft in the flying display, fury, vimy, gladiator, halifax, mosquito, beaufighter, sunderland, meteor, hunter, canberra, javelin, victor, vulcan, lightning, buccaneer, phantom, jaguar, harrier as well as of course spitfire, hurricane and lancaster, oh wait there a min we have a bit of a problem!!!.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Steve p wrote:As it is the RAFs centenry it would be nice to see some of the RAFs most iconic aircraft in the flying display, fury, vimy, gladiator, halifax, mosquito, beaufighter, sunderland, meteor, hunter, canberra, javelin, victor, vulcan, lightning, buccaneer, phantom, jaguar, harrier as well as of course spitfire, hurricane and lancaster, oh wait there a min we have a bit of a problem!!!.

Yes we do, you used iconic and Javelin in the same sentence. :dizzy:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

CJS

Post by CJS »

capercaillie wrote:
Steve p wrote:As it is the RAFs centenry it would be nice to see some of the RAFs most iconic aircraft in the flying display, fury, vimy, gladiator, halifax, mosquito, beaufighter, sunderland, meteor, hunter, canberra, javelin, victor, vulcan, lightning, buccaneer, phantom, jaguar, harrier as well as of course spitfire, hurricane and lancaster, oh wait there a min we have a bit of a problem!!!.

:grin:

Plenty to be had there :grin: - Gladiator, Mosquito, Meteor, Hunter, Canberra, Lightning, Buccanear, Phantom, Jaguar, Harrier...easy peasy. :whistle:
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

Gripenjetphotos

Post by Gripenjetphotos »

After seeing the invited list, there is one aircraft I’d like to see:
Columbian Kfir Block 60! :drool:
I am impartial to a bit of jet noise.

Instagram- https://www.instagram.com/gripen_jet_photos/

Steve p

Post by Steve p »

capercaillie wrote:

Ok maybe a bit bias toward Javelins as they was built just a few miles from where i live :wink:

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

SPLAT wrote:The Canadian showed the way in 2017 , by bringing in the Chinook , so ferrying a F4 in a USAF display C5, C17 etc is feasable , but as said , cost is everything
More than one bit of simplistic remark. The Chinook can be taken apart in bits that fit inside a Globemaster. I'm not so sure a Phantom can be taken apart in fitable pieces and be returned in an airworthy state.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

Airwolfhound

Post by Airwolfhound »

Would be very nice if the French Navy could send over some assets either in the flying or static display. Been a very long time since I've seen an E-2C Hawkeye, and would be great to see a Panther or NH90 if available.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/24874528@N04/

Agile, mobile and hostile ;-)

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

As they are ex-RAF, Austrian C-130. I think one was there 10 years ago for the 90th, it just wasn't seen by too many ticketholders. Anyway, as much as possible of the participants from '08 as long as these are still around might be a nice thing.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

mavvymoo

Post by mavvymoo »

I'd quite like to see that Textron(?) Scorpion that has been in the static for a while in the air.
Famed for appearing to put my foot in it, read my post with the voice of Stewie Griffin if it offended you first time

CJS

Post by CJS »

mavvymoo wrote:I'd quite like to see that Textron(?) Scorpion that has been in the static for a while in the air.

IIRC (which if I'm honest is unlikely) they said when I spoke to them the first year they came (was it 2015?) that 2018 "may" be the year they manage to put a display together, although I've not heard anything since.

It's certainly doing the rounds and has been tested or discussed with lots of air arms around the world, so it's perhaps a bit of a surprise they haven't displayed it anywhere yet, other than statically. The first production model (which I think is the second one they've built) was first seen at the Dubai airshow last November, but I don't think it flew in the display (may be wrong about that).

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

CJS wrote:IIRC (which if I'm honest is unlikely) they said when I spoke to them the first year they came (was it 2015?) that 2018 "may" be the year they manage to put a display together, although I've not heard anything since.

One year out; the Scorpion first attended in 2014 if memory serves.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Tommy wrote:
CJS wrote:IIRC (which if I'm honest is unlikely) they said when I spoke to them the first year they came (was it 2015?) that 2018 "may" be the year they manage to put a display together, although I've not heard anything since.

One year out; the Scorpion first attended in 2014 if memory serves.

Ah Ok, I wasn't there in 2014 so I must have spoken to them the second year they came! Whatever, I'm pretty sure they mooted 2018 as the first possible year they might have a display ready.

Havoc

Post by Havoc »

Going through my shots of various last year, PLANAF and PLAAF uniforms were quite well represented.
I'd like to jump on the August 1st bandwagon.

And Tom..when are we gonna get the TBM700 Role Demo??

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Chucking this one out there, but how about the UAE F-16 Desert Falcon, or (even better, imo) their Mirage 2000-5?

edhunter

Post by edhunter »

Wouldn't say no to a couple of jaguars from India and a harrier or two from usmc

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Malaysia. Cough cough :ninja: