All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
APG

Re: Update Today?

Post by APG »

Bring back the 70's I say :yahoo:

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

There's a huge amount of bollocks being spewed on this board about the flare situation. Any qualified armourer out school will find a flare-armed airframe nothing out of the ordinary. There's more risk fuelling the aircraft. Most of the clunkys that come with the support teams will be more than adequately prepared to deal with a hot airframe, display or not.

I reiterate the basic fact that it's a matter of red tape, nothing more. Citing incidents that have taken place 15 years ago as examples of why the practice is dodgy is frankly rather tiresome. Bleating on about rules and regs is all well and good, but is it relevant? If the Yeovy Lynx pair were any measurement, I look forward to reading the H&S apologists reasoning; if indeed 'reason' is an adequate term in this particular situation.

TomG

Post by TomG »

Sulman wrote:There's a huge amount of "big balls" being spewed on this board about the flare situation. Any qualified armourer out school will find a flare-armed airframe nothing out of the ordinary. There's more risk fuelling the aircraft. Most of the clunkys that come with the support teams will be more than adequately prepared to deal with a hot airframe, display or not.

I reiterate the basic fact that it's a matter of red tape, nothing more. Citing incidents that have taken place 15 years ago as examples of why the practice is dodgy is frankly rather tiresome. Bleating on about rules and regs is all well and good, but is it relevant? If the Yeovy Lynx pair were any measurement, I look forward to reading the H&S apologists reasoning; if indeed 'reason' is an adequate term in this particular situation.

Biggest load of c**p I've heard for years - as an RAF armourer with 30 years service behind me I can state without doubt that a flare loaded airframe is indeed something out of the ordinary, is treated differently on an RAF station with regard to parking and maintenance and is something to treat with a great deal of respect as is any other 'armed' aircraft.
Last edited by TomG on Sat 11 Jul 2009, 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

TomG

Post by TomG »

TonyO wrote:
stuart n wrote:Tom's post on the previous pge explains why flares are not allowed at UK airshows.

But that's not the case, clearly some exceptions can be made, as mictheslik says, a Lynx pair dropped around 60 flares over farmers fields at VL today...

That's something for Yeovilton to deal with isn't it? They may well have a dispensation, I don't know and haven't got the time and energy to offer anything else. All I can say (and keep saying) is that RIAT apply the 'no flares' rule for reasons previously stated.

MikeH

Post by MikeH »

Not much chance/point of an appearance by the Russian Knight's then? :sad:

PD31

Post by PD31 »

Mictheslik wrote:Briefly on the subject of flares, a pair of lynxes (possibly the black cats) were happy to spew them out all over Yeovilton this evening and will presumably do so tomorrow as well.... :question:

.mic

No they didn't do it today.... :sad: Whether that was down to the weather or not i don't know....they didn't perform the same pull up as yesterday. Typical, as i had the camera ready this time. :loser:
Cheers

Dave

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

Going back to the actual topic of Updates, I know alot has been said whether we will have another one or not, but I find it hard to believe that we'd have a RIAT with no aircraft from Belgium?? The BAF-F16 has always been a regular at RIAT.
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

rdchawk wrote:Going back to the actual topic of Updates, I know alot has been said whether we will have another one or not, but I find it hard to believe that we'd have a RIAT with no aircraft from Belgium?? The BAF-F16 has always been a regular at RIAT.

I'm also pretty sad about there only being one F-16; I think I've only seen the BAF one once though in '07 - did it do 05 and 06? I don't recall.

Agg
UKAR Staff

Post by Agg »

No there was no BAF solo display in 06.

bigfatron

Post by bigfatron »

Has anyone seen the Vulcan display this year? I caught it at Southport last September (picked the right day fortunately!) and it was a relatively sedate series of passes and turns, whereas in the old RAF display days they used to wring the neck of the thing and fly it like a fighter! I remember hearing them saying they didn't want to rag the engines too much in the early runs but i'd love to hear that trademark howl again.

banksy

Post by banksy »

I was present at Southport too on that "is it coming, is it not?" day when the skies eventually cleared to see 558 flying in.

From what I've seen on here so far, the display has changed a little for the better, but I think that most really just want to be around for the take off which will give us the famous howl.

What I'd like to know is there any plan for a display on arrival at fairford on Friday - now that would be nice.
Chester FC Fan Engagement Director
Twitter: @banks247

Eizo

Post by Eizo »

Sulman wrote:
rdchawk wrote:Going back to the actual topic of Updates, I know alot has been said whether we will have another one or not, but I find it hard to believe that we'd have a RIAT with no aircraft from Belgium?? The BAF-F16 has always been a regular at RIAT.

I'm also pretty sad about there only being one F-16; I think I've only seen the BAF one once though in '07 - did it do 05 and 06? I don't recall.

Best thing in BAF F-16 display is the takeoff, keeping it low on the runway with full afterburners. Display is "normal", livery also not really special grey in grey. In Zeltweg BAF F-16 threw it's flares with no reason in normal flight far away from people... Maybe they should copy the flare drop sequence from NL.

4 days till Friday :cool:

AdamN

Post by AdamN »

Eizo wrote: livery also not really special grey in grey.

Personally, if there's any reason I want to see the BAF F-16, it's the new livery. I think it looks fantastic!

poopsie

Post by poopsie »

Some people are hard to please. It's only in recent years that they have started using flares. It always gives a special effect when they do. So enjoy it while you can.

The new livery is fantastic. The dutch is a bit OTT IMHO. On pictures it looks great, IRL I find the oranje to prominent. A bit less and more discreet would have been nicer, but hey that's the dutch for you :wink:
Belgian Waffle

Eizo

Post by Eizo »

poopsie wrote:Some people are hard to please. It's only in recent years that they have started using flares. It always gives a special effect when they do. So enjoy it while you can.

The new livery is fantastic. The dutch is a bit OTT IMHO. On pictures it looks great, IRL I find the oranje to prominent. A bit less and more discreet would have been nicer, but hey that's the dutch for you :wink:

2007 was a great display in Brno, so it is more depending on pilot... I like the Dutch livery very much, finally another color instead of the grey jet on blue sky like with all other jets. And if we heave the predicted weather, grey jet on grey sky. At least we do not need to take pictures... ;)

MartinNeedham

Post by MartinNeedham »

I expect that I'll get flamed for this, but I'd like RIAT to not announce an update, have to say I preferred the pre-show build up not knowing what would be flying or static, rather than a 36 page moan about the lack of F-22s and B-1s. Although there'd be a heck of a lot more speculation about what's on the "secret update."

Martin

Seahornet

Post by Seahornet »

MartinNeedham wrote:I expect that I'll get flamed for this...
Martin

No mate, just lightly toasted... :smile:

...and yes, the unknowing anticipation was rather good, in retrospect.
And as the smart ship grew,
In stature, grace and hue,
In shadowy silent distance grew the iceberg too....

banksy

Post by banksy »

Agreed, it was good not knowing what was going to be flying until the day, but it did lead to both elation & disappointment!
Chester FC Fan Engagement Director
Twitter: @banks247

sismore

Post by sismore »

I see that the F-22 has been critisised in the headlines because of its Very High running costs. Also the crash of one F-22 already in March has not helped matter . All this has put a dark loud over its program. Also with the Obama administration's decision to procure only four more F-22 fighters the interest in this program looks to be disappearing. So i think that the reason for the F-22 to not leave America this year is due to the criticism of the Maintenance costs etc.

A quote from:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 03020.html

Sensitive information about troubles with the nation's foremost air-defense fighter is emerging in the midst of a fight between the Obama administration and the Democrat-controlled Congress over whether the program should be halted next year at 187 planes, far short of what the Air Force and the F-22's contractors around the country had anticipated.

"It is a disgrace that you can fly a plane [an average of] only 1.7 hours before it gets a critical failure" that jeopardizes success of the aircraft's mission, said a Defense Department critic of the plane who is not authorized to speak on the record. Other skeptics inside the Pentagon note that the planes, designed 30 years ago to combat a Cold War adversary, have cost an average of $350 million apiece and say they are not a priority in the age of small wars and terrorist threats.