Weather

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
borismorris

Re: Weather

Post by borismorris »

Who the hell are weather.com?

All these American forecasters..

Use a u.k. forecast for the best accuracy.

Tangoringo

Post by Tangoringo »

Have just had a quick nosey at the main models ( GFS, ICON, ECM etc ) and there is broad consensus for Friday. A spur from the Atlantic high pressure is sitting over the UK leading to a generally slack airflow with if anything a slight easterly drift. Pressure hovering around 1023. The result? A reasonable chance of showers ( possibly thundery ) increasing in probality further S and especially W. It’s in the lap of the gods with regards to what falls where but the showers will be slow moving so if we are unlucky we may get a fair downpour. Just to stress though we are not talking of hurricane/depression style rain. It’s the showery for a while but generally sunny kind of day way and definitely not a show stopper. Temps around 26 Deg with lots of sun still.
As/Sun....just luvverly. :grin:
All in all I’m really positive for the whole weekend.
Just my take.

tom tiger

Post by tom tiger »

Take 3 websites on the weather and you get 3 different answers... I got tired of that years ago :-) and starting to do my own predictions. Only one thing I've learned sofar, I can only predict the weather with reasonable accuracy 1 day in advance. ... anyone can do that.... just take 3 websites, take the average of that and you're pretty much in the right ballpark :-)

Still taking my umbrella and a poncho, part of my standard kit, and maybe some sunscreen. I'm carefully optimistic about the weather this year. Don't want to jinx myself. :-)
"You Live by the Code, You Die by the Code."
https://www.flickr.com/photos/tomtiger/albums

Andyperkins

Post by Andyperkins »

tom tiger wrote:Take 3 websites on the weather and you get 3 different answers... I got tired of that years ago :-) and starting to do my own predictions. Only one thing I've learned sofar, I can only predict the weather with reasonable accuracy 1 day in advance. ... anyone can do that.... just take 3 websites, take the average of that and you're pretty much in the right ballpark :-)

Still taking my umbrella and a poncho, part of my standard kit, and maybe some sunscreen. I'm carefully optimistic about the weather this year. Don't want to jinx myself. :-)

Umbrella is essential in both extremes, stops you coming away looking like a tomato if it’s a scorcher and stops you coming away looking like a drowned rat is it pours down :grin:

roh218

Post by roh218 »

Met Office forecast for Friday seems to be changing, now only a 40% chance of rain from 4pm onwards. My main concern now is the forecasted gusts of wind speed of up to 16mph (14 knots) that seem to indicate runway 09 will be used? Quick question: if runway 09 is used will the display still happen over the exact same area or is the display relative to takeoff direction? Thanks

paulb1973

Post by paulb1973 »

roh218 wrote:Met Office forecast for Friday seems to be changing, now only a 40% chance of rain from 4pm onwards. My main concern now is the forecasted gusts of wind speed of up to 16mph (14 knots) that seem to indicate runway 09 will be used? Quick question: if runway 09 is used will the display still happen over the exact same area or is the display relative to takeoff direction? Thanks

Warm/hot and wet at the same time! - trying to chuck on extra waterproof clothing in that will be fun. Hopefully they'll be no need.

FullCarrot

Post by FullCarrot »

Met office app is forecasting thunderstorms around 1300 on Friday with sun and showers for the rest of the day. It’s been all over the place the last couple of days!

borismorris

Post by borismorris »

Reckon if you get soaked you will be dried out in half an hour..

Failing that you could always ask the French Mirage crew to give you the hairdryer treatment.. a la West this morning :rofl:

Andyperkins

Post by Andyperkins »

borismorris wrote:Reckon if you get soaked you will be dried out in half an hour..

Failing that you could always ask the French Mirage crew to give you the hairdryer treatment.. a la West this morning :rofl:

That happened to me 2 years ago at Yeovilton, hammered down for 10 minutes and was soaked but then the sun came out and not long after I was bone dry :lol:

I am going to go out in a limb and predict that all these showers will be visible from the show but we will be in a halo of blue sky right up until the show has finished then it will pour down for an hour straight :biggrin:

paulb1973

Post by paulb1973 »

I've got visions of Mildenhall 2000 (the Saturday) with those torrential downpours! I was dry at the end of the day mind-you.

Andyperkins

Post by Andyperkins »

Metoffice have yet again changed the forecast, gone are the thundery showers and now no showers forecast until 4pm and even then only a 40% chance.

Of course I expect to wake up tomorrow and find thundery showers from 10-7 forecast :lol:

tankbuster81
UKAR Supporter

Post by tankbuster81 »

paulb1973 wrote:I've got visions of Mildenhall 2000 (the Saturday) with those torrential downpours! I was dry at the end of the day mind-you.

Remember it well, i was wetter than a goldfish!
Don't bother running, you'll only die tired!!

Mr Benn

Post by Mr Benn »

No rain gir weeks here then this. Hopefully we get lucky and the met office forecast is the right one ( bbc say showers all day). Not wantinng to carry any more luggage but is an umbrella worth it ? If rains too much i wil just hide in a tent ! How much rain woukd it take for a plane not to display ?

Andyperkins

Post by Andyperkins »

Mr Benn wrote:No rain gir weeks here then this. Hopefully we get lucky and the met office forecast is the right one ( bbc say showers all day). Not wantinng to carry any more luggage but is an umbrella worth it ? If rains too much i wil just hide in a tent ! How much rain woukd it take for a plane not to display ?

Don't let those little icons get you down, look at the probability of it raining which is currently in the 60-70% chance of not seeing a drop range but definitely worth taking an umbrella, will provide some shelter from the sun between the showers.

As for how much rain it take to ground a plane it would have to be a lot, the light showers forecast will have little effect on the show IMO

Mr Benn

Post by Mr Benn »

Well i hope you guys already at Fairford are getting the lovely weather here in Worcs right now. Nice blue skies but also nice fluffy clouds