Issues walking from Marston Meysey

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
Fishrage

Issues walking from Marston Meysey

Post by Fishrage »

Hi all,

Been camping at the fabulously named 'BogWoppit' campsite for 15 years and never had a problem until 2 years ago:

Walking from Marston Meysey, up to the west end of the base (I forget which gate this is, as they keep changing) for the past 2 years is no longer possible. When you reach the gate, you are now met with armed RAF personnel who tell me that pedestrians are not allowed here and I have to walk the entire length of the airfield to enter at the east side.... We had to jump into a random mans car instead.

When I finally gained entry I spoke with the RIAT staff who said they have not heard this before and would 'look into it' - Last year was the same thing.

Did anyone else walk this way? Some people in the campsite say they walked and had no issues (although they got there at 9am, rather than 7am when we decided to go). Could it be that I was there too early to 'walk'?

Cheers,

fish

capercaillie

Re: Issues walking from Marston Meysey

Post by capercaillie »

Fishrage wrote:Hi all,

Been camping at the fabulously named 'BogWoppit' campsite for 15 years and never had a problem until 2 years ago:

Walking from Marston Meysey, up to the west end of the base (I forget which gate this is, as they keep changing) for the past 2 years is no longer possible. When you reach the gate, you are now met with armed RAF personnel who tell me that pedestrians are not allowed here and I have to walk the entire length of the airfield to enter at the east side.... We had to jump into a random mans car instead.

When I finally gained entry I spoke with the RIAT staff who said they have not heard this before and would 'look into it' - Last year was the same thing.

Did anyone else walk this way? Some people in the campsite say they walked and had no issues (although they got there at 9am, rather than 7am when we decided to go). Could it be that I was there too early to 'walk'?

Cheers,

fish

Aerosmith possibly?

Seriously though, sounds ridiculous. Is there still any off base parking at the western end, as people walk in from the car parks when that happened? this year there is meant to be, so just join them.

Otherwise certainly from blue entrance there is off base parking and people walk in. Still a fair trek from MM though. Otherwise get in a car and cause more delays. :smile:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Fishrage

Post by Fishrage »

I don't think there has been any off base parking on the West end for a while, unless I totally missed it. Can you show me on a map?

Here is where I've always walked in (cars are allowed this way):

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/51.67 ... m2!4m1!3e2

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

Fishrage wrote:Hi all,

Cheers,

fish

i think i was said 'random man' :wave:
Got to love Russianhardware

Fishrage

Post by Fishrage »

Small world if so! I think I was sat on your coolbox... There were two of us. If it was you, thank you so much!

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

hi mate,

to be fair and not wishing to steal the guys thunder, im not sure now as i didnt have a cool box but did pick up a couple of lads and give them a lift.

i would hope others would do that if they see anyone walking, obviously to RIAt, as i know i'd like a lift if i was walking.
cheers
Dave

Blue Honda CR-V

Fishrage

Post by Fishrage »

It may not have been a coolbox... I just remember feeling bad because I was sat over all of your/his stuff! If it was very early in the morning then it's very likely it was us (assuming it was on that little dirt road?)

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

Hi mate,

nope, not me i'm afraid, but nice to know the spirit of human kindness is there still.

Cheers
Dave

Fishrage

Post by Fishrage »

Still, it sucks that we can't walk down there at <9am! I felt like arguing with the guard, but he had an SA80 (?) so I decided not to ;-)

Fishrage

Post by Fishrage »

Sorry to revive this thread, but I can confirm that walking from Marston Meysey is fine... Turns out we were just leaving far too early. Left at around 8am this year and straight in without issue.