Red route shambles - came home.

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
cg_341

Re: Red route shambles - came home.

Post by cg_341 »

A bit late now but the green queue was NOT an issue. The queue out of the car park off base was caused by a few selfish idiots who started a queue perpendicular to the main queues, right at the front, which naturally everyone latched on to the back of.

Walking past that queue would get you to the main, 8 lane queue, where there were no issues.

The Baron

Post by The Baron »

cg_341 wrote:A bit late now but the green queue was NOT an issue. The queue out of the car park off base was caused by a few selfish idiots who started a queue perpendicular to the main queues, right at the front, which naturally everyone latched on to the back of.

Walking past that queue would get you to the main, 8 lane queue, where there were no issues.

I disagree. The queue from the car park WAS an issue. Regardless of what caused it there was no clear alternative as there was just one long queue from said off-site car park. How would you have got from the off-site car park? There was no signage whatsoever and nobody in authority to redirect people.
Loafer for Mr. Da Vinci.

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

There was certainly an issue in Red this morning with car park marshalling, or rather the lack thereof. I drove around for about five minutes before someone finally guided me into a space. Meanwhile others in front of me were simply abandoning their cars in what were very obviously not meant to be designated spaces. All very shambolic.
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

Traveller

Post by Traveller »

I regularly see coaches go past our campsite arriving from the west so suspect the only dedicated route is for shuttles. Even so 0730 from Birmingham is a bit late to set off if someone wants to walk all the static before sitting down.

sdad

Post by sdad »

Going back to the first page of this thread:
Was there supposed to be a flypast similar to the one in London?
Was it broadly the same?
Was it cancelled due to rain? (We have had none here for over eight weeks).
What time was it scheduled for? (I wonder if some elements may have got going before cancellation).
Thanks.

T6NL

Post by T6NL »

I left Leeds at 6AM (slept through my alarm, and woke up in sunlight with the missus shouting at me), drove into the red car park (R1), took pics in the static and was sat on my chair with a red bull 5 minutes before the display started. :win:

paulb1973

Post by paulb1973 »

Park & View East (Tues to Thurs) plus two days inside the showground [having a rest Sunday] has meant parking at the 'Red end' every time - virtually no queuing at any point! I always approach from Lechlade, using the Alternative Route off the A361 (Hambidge Lane etc) on the show days reaching here around 6.45am - 7.00am. Back tomorrow for departures at P&V East.

Homer

Post by Homer »

G-CVIX wrote:Where did you come from? People leave Kempsford at 6am so I mean 6am sounds late.

Really? I set off from the other side of Gloucester after 7 and was sat by the green zone service area well before the flying started.

I'm not getting up earlier than that, and it was a challenge getting the rest of the family up even that early.

mavvymoo

Post by mavvymoo »

sdad wrote:Going back to the first page of this thread:
Was there supposed to be a flypast similar to the one in London?
Was it broadly the same?
Was it cancelled due to rain? (We have had none here for over eight weeks).
What time was it scheduled for? (I wonder if some elements may have got going before cancellation).
Thanks.

The forecast flypast for Friday was much reduced compared to the London one - the headline being that 50% of the aircraft by number were going to be there. The weather was the problem although not necessarily due to local weather at Fairford as the BBMF were lined up on the runway and ready to go whilst rain was falling. The problem was that the weather across the region was hampering the forming up of the formations in order to keep the 30 second spacing between formations and the risk to the timetable (which at times was threatening to run well past 1800hrs) was beyond what the Heads of Sheds were prepared or able to manage with - I understand that this was very much at the last minute with most assets already airborne. This isn't opinion, it's my recollection of what the commentators said at the time, so I'm prepared to be called out for any inaccuracies.
Famed for appearing to put my foot in it, read my post with the voice of Stewie Griffin if it offended you first time

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

Worth pointing out that each individual formation element was formated and ready, they just needed to be able to run in. From what I understand, the issue was getting the BBMF and Red Arrows off and in to the right position in time, and the FDD eventually made the decision to scrub the flypast entirely.

sdad

Post by sdad »

Thanks. It sounded like three elements went through the Daventry corridor about 13:40. Does this tie in with the schedule?

spellow3010

Post by spellow3010 »

Shout out of thanks to the blonde lady doing the traffic direction at Park and View East for arrivals. Very patient and understanding of the 'Washpool Lane' early bird parkers... Thanks :up:

Mr Benn

Post by Mr Benn »

cg_341 wrote:Worth pointing out that each individual formation element was formated and ready, they just needed to be able to run in. From what I understand, the issue was getting the BBMF and Red Arrows off and in to the right position in time, and the FDD eventually made the decision to scrub the flypast entirely.

If correct, that makes it even more frustrating. This was supposed to be the highlight of the day, maybe the whole weekend. I understand it was a complicated move bringing all the planes togethor , but if nearly all the jets were lined up surely they couldve got them over somehow ?

The show was great otherwise, and i take no pleasure in having a rant, trust me. Ive been beating myself up for not then going on the Saturday. The joys of Anxiety. :mad: