RIAT 2019

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
borismorris

Re: RIAT 2019

Post by borismorris »

:grin:
Last edited by borismorris on Fri 03 May 2019, 5:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

borismorris

Post by borismorris »

Big Eric wrote:
IATthenRIAT wrote:Just discovered its also RAFBF 100th anniversary this year, surely that should bring something.

Hopefully this will see a nice line of collecting tins in the static park. :grin:

Surrounded by green cones :rofl:

ikarus

Post by ikarus »

borismorris wrote:
Big Eric wrote:
IATthenRIAT wrote:Just discovered its also RAFBF 100th anniversary this year, surely that should bring something.
<br abp="680"><br abp="681">Hopefully this will see a nice line of collecting tins in the static park. :grin:
<br abp="682">Surrounded by green cones :rofl:

As long as the bouncy castle and fun fair isn't positioned behind the tins , it wont ruin the photographs :lol:

mark_aviation

Post by mark_aviation »

An evening show on the Friday is honestly what I think is missing. I'm more likely to pay the Friday price for a 4 hour evening show (like other big European shows do) than paying the same price to just see half as many aircraft...

Gonzo230

Post by Gonzo230 »

Not that I know much in this regard, but I doubt a Friday evening show is viable. The showground needs to be closed to the public in enough time for the site to be made ready for Saturday morning.

The volunteers also need their rest!

G67

Post by G67 »

Gonzo230 wrote:

Not legally, no. Since they're daft enough to perform work for a company without a contract of employment or remuneration they do not have any working time protections.

They could be told to work 23 hours a day for ten days.

Now not many of them would choose to return the next year, but that's tangential.

borismorris

Post by borismorris »

On the other hand they’re not obliged to turn up if the organisers are taking the Michael. So no, the organisers wouldn’t be so daft to pull a trick like that.

Suffice to say it’s a non starter

MarkEstus

Post by MarkEstus »

G67 wrote:
Gonzo230 wrote:

Not legally, no. Since they're daft enough to perform work for a company without a contract of employment or remuneration they do not have any working time protections.

Now not many of them would choose to return the next year, but that's tangential.

How do you know there is no contract or agreement in place for the Volunteers? I myself have done voluntary work and i had a agreement/contract. For volunteers working on an air base surrounded by military aircraft and equipment im sure there's a contract/agreement of some sort.
- https://www.facebook.com/groups/332375753559900/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Go4Long

Post by Go4Long »

I never thought I would long for the days when people were arguing about a country that there weren't even rumours about coming to RIAT in this thread...but now there's an argument going on about volunteers work rest rules and here we are.

this thread is about RIAT 2019. What agreements RIAT has or doesn't have with volunteers is not relevant, although I'm sure there's a thread somewhere on this forum for you idiots to argue with each other in.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

You guys, seriously. :lol:

Gonzo230

Post by Gonzo230 »

G67 wrote:
Gonzo230 wrote:

We are going off topic now, but I used the word ‘need’, not legally entitled.

However, you are incorrect. The ATC staff (of whom I’m one) are legally required to follow CAP670, including the Scheme for the Regulation of Air Traffic Controllers’ Hours. Just because we don’t get paid doesn’t mean legal obligation disappears.

Not sure I agree with your ‘daft’ assessment, either. But thanks for the thought! :up:

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

mark_aviation wrote:An evening show on the Friday is honestly what I think is missing. I'm more likely to pay the Friday price for a 4 hour evening show (like other big European shows do) than paying the same price to just see half as many aircraft...

The volunteers need a chance to rest - fatigue leads to accidents and mistakes - things that any airshow has to minimise. They (we) are on duty show days from well before the gates open through to well after gates close (or the airfield is open/closed) and for many that's done for an entire week - for some it is for weeks. There just aren't enough volunteers available to run a shift system to allow for an evening show to occur.

st24

Post by st24 »

boff180 wrote:
mark_aviation wrote:An evening show on the Friday is honestly what I think is missing. I'm more likely to pay the Friday price for a 4 hour evening show (like other big European shows do) than paying the same price to just see half as many aircraft...

The volunteers need a chance to rest - fatigue leads to accidents and mistakes - things that any airshow has to minimise. They (we) are on duty show days from well before the gates open through to well after gates close (or the airfield is open/closed) and for many that's done for an entire week - for some it is for weeks. There just aren't enough volunteers available to run a shift system to allow for an evening show to occur.

Just wondering how other shows that run a full weekend event also manage to put on a Friday evening show- are their volunteers robots?? (Adding that I've no real interest in a night show, god forbid anything to raise Friday ticket prices even more...)
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

We really don't have much to talk about do we :tumbleweed:

Frogfoot

Post by Frogfoot »

Airshowhammer wrote:We really don't have much to talk about do we :tumbleweed:

Well, the updates aren’t exactly much to talk about at the moment are they?

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Frogfoot wrote:

I know it was sort of rhetorical :grin:

AMB

Post by AMB »

Frogfoot wrote:

Nope, patiently waiting for the hyped up e.mail saying that microlights and radio-controlled models are coming!!! :whistle:
Adrian

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

AMB wrote:
Frogfoot wrote:

Nope, patiently waiting for the hyped up e.mail saying that microlights and radio-controlled models are coming!!! :whistle:

Tease, you're telling me that some microlights will confirm? Whats your source? What do you know that we don't. :yahoo: :ninja:

MicrolightDriver

Post by MicrolightDriver »

Sworn to secrecy I'm afraid...

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

MicrolightDriver wrote:Sworn to secrecy I'm afraid...

Bank holiday extravaganza folks :love:

Abbo46

Post by Abbo46 »

Anybody had their FRIAT payment taken out yet?

Go4Long

Post by Go4Long »

Abbo46 wrote:Anybody had their FRIAT payment taken out yet?

Mine went November - April. So no payment this month.

Abbo46

Post by Abbo46 »

Opted for a single payment instead of direct debit this year, not had anything come out yet.

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Abbo46 wrote:Opted for a single payment instead of direct debit this year, not had anything come out yet.

I never knew you could do it as DD, silly me :sad:

Tom105

Post by Tom105 »

I was one signal FRIAT payment went out in November
Thomas