phreakf4

Re: RIAT 2019

Post by phreakf4 »

Domvickery wrote:
CJS wrote:
I thought they were made by AgustaWestland... :lol:

I thought they were made by Leonardo :grin:

Wouldn't that depend on exactly when they were made..... :biggrin:
nothing is confirmed at a show until its u/c hits the tarmac or it is running in for its display.....

harkins

Post by harkins »

mark_aviation wrote:We're back with a Bank Holiday update! The Italian Air Force has confirmed even more support for this year's Air Tattoo with a number of static aircraft. The contingent includes the C-27J Spartan and two helicopters, the HH-149A and HH-101A as well as the A-200 Tornado.

The Italians certainly have a lot of love for RIAT. Probably fair to say that nobody else from overseas comes close to their regular level of support. If you add a C-130 that usually comes in to support Freece, they don't have many types left that they aren't sending!

Question though; initially I thought it was exactly the same set of aircraft as last year but, then I noticed that it says HH-149A (whereas last year it was a HH-139A). When I went to look at the difference, I read that only Thailand and Egypt operate them and that Italy had considered it for SAR but had chosen the lighter 139 instead. So do the Italians actually have 149s now?

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

harkins wrote:Question though; initially I thought it was exactly the same set of aircraft as last year but, then I noticed that it says HH-149A (whereas last year it was a HH-139A). When I went to look at the difference, I read that only Thailand and Egypt operate them and that Italy had considered it for SAR but had chosen the lighter 139 instead. So do the Italians actually have 149s now?

They’re sending the HH-139A, it’s a typo.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

harkins wrote:
Probably fair to say that nobody else from overseas comes close to their regular level of support.

USA? The Italians are great but we also regularly see top support from Germany, the Netherlands, Belgium, France etc.

harkins wrote:Question though; initially I thought it was exactly the same set of aircraft as last year but, then I noticed that it says HH-149A (whereas last year it was a HH-139A). When I went to look at the difference, I read that only Thailand and Egypt operate them and that Italy had considered it for SAR but had chosen the lighter 139 instead. So do the Italians actually have 149s now?

I was wondering this myself. Pic shows a ‘139. I just put it down to a typo.

harkins

Post by harkins »

Tommy wrote:
harkins wrote:
Probably fair to say that nobody else from overseas comes close to their regular level of support.

USA? The Italians are great but we also regularly see top support from Germany, the Netherlands, Belgium, France etc.

I was wondering this myself. Pic shows a ‘139. I just put it down to a typo.

Thought it might be but, as it wasn't corrected I thought they might have one and after a little extra surfing I found that the RSV took one to the Malta show in 2017. Maybe that was while it was still being considered for the SAR role.

About 'best' support, I admit that it''s a complicated subject as I guess you'd need a formula that calculates number of aircraft/types/distance etc to work it out. However, if you consider the sheer size of the USAF and that they have 5 types based in the UK, that kind of gives Italy the edge. The Dutch and Belgians do support very well too but, they're a bit nearer and between flying and static contributions I still think the Italian AF beats them. They do have more types in service in fairness. A Belgian Alpha Jet would be a nice and pretty rare attendee or a Dutch PC-7, just for a bit of variety from our Low Countries friends.

Jameslw1993

Post by Jameslw1993 »

We have the potential of 8 more announcements to come.

What do you lot think we can expect?
I know what I'm hoping for. To complete the already good lineup, I hope we will get to see the old Swedish jets, A400m and an American heavy.

bobby 1211

Post by bobby 1211 »

Jameslw1993 wrote:We have the potential of 8 more announcements to come.

I know what I'm hoping for. To complete the already good lineup, I hope we will get to see the old Swedish jets, A400m and an American heavy.

USA bombers, Pakistan c-130, a-400m, turkey, romanian air force, Polish air force, RAF statics and French air force. I personally think Poland will send the f-16 + c-130 for support and a su-22 for static. With the mig-21... I will believe it once its officially confirmed.

Andyperkins

Post by Andyperkins »

Jameslw1993 wrote:We have the potential of 8 more announcements to come.

I think its very likely an A400M will be announced (when was the last time one didn't attend) and wouldn't at all be surprised if there is a B-52 on static but I wouldn't hold my breath on the swedish jets.

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

Great the Italians being there in mass.
Last edited by IATthenRIAT on Tue 28 May 2019, 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

IATthenRIAT wrote:Please please please organisers bring us a galaxy for the static oh and a KC10 to go with the B-52/B1 and U2 a few KC135s - well one can dream.

Please stop posting your wishes and pleas to the organisers in this thread, the "Wish" thread is here :- viewtopic.php?f=19&t=81585

This thread is only for confirmed participants and general (sensible) enquiries.

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

Big Eric wrote:
IATthenRIAT wrote:Please please please organisers bring us a galaxy for the static oh and a KC10 to go with the B-52/B1 and U2 a few KC135s - well one can dream.

Please stop posting your wishes and pleas to the organisers in this thread, the "Wish" thread is here :- viewtopic.php?f=19&t=81585

This thread is only for confirmed participants and general (sensible) enquiries.

Changed it for you Mr Eric :whistle:

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

IATthenRIAT wrote:
Big Eric wrote:

Changed it for you Mr Eric :whistle:

Excellent, now we're getting somewhere - it's not exactly Rocket Science, is it? :grin:

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

Wonder how different (if at all) the Viper Demo F16 will be from say the Belgium?

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

IATthenRIAT wrote:Wonder how different (if at all) the Viper Demo F16 will be from say the Belgium?

Very.

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

I think it will be like a lot of US displays. A pass, then a too long pause to reposition for a next pass, pause, pass, pause, pass etc, not to forget, a completely over the top commentator that is unaware he/she is not in the Segregated State of Trump. It is not for nothing that even US pilots that have seen a European display rate those as the best F-16 displays they have ever seen.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

AngryAndyPandy

Post by AngryAndyPandy »

aviodromefriend wrote:I think it will be like a lot of US displays. A pass, then a too long pause to reposition for a next pass, pause, pass, pause, pass etc, not to forget, a completely over the top commentator that is unaware he/she is not in the Segregated State of Trump. It is not for nothing that even US pilots that have seen a European display rate those as the best F-16 displays they have ever seen.

I can't be the only one who loves the 'over the top American commentary' on all their demos? It's so stereotypical of them and really shows how passionate they are about their armed forces; Something that's not always evident in our somewhat plucky and understated RAF, RN and AAC demos. :grin: Whether I'm laughing at them or with them, I never want them to change! :rock:

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

IATthenRIAT wrote:Wonder how different (if at all) the Viper Demo F16 will be from say the Belgium?

Where most European F-16 displays are aerobatic, the US displays are more about showing off the capability of the aircraft.

I believe Zeus was initially trained by the US Viper Team. That is the best comparison.

Luke28

Post by Luke28 »

I always enjoy the OTT stateside commentaries aswell.

Although a bit of 'comedy' from the Saturday of 2017.

*Dramatic build up music*

"Ladddddys and Gentleman, booooooys and girls, get ready to be wowed by the most advanced fighter jet in the wooooooooooooooorld todayyyyyyyyy"

*long pause*

"ladys and gentleman unfortunately due the low cloud the Raptor will not be able to display for you today"

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

AngryAndyPandy wrote:
I can't be the only one who loves the 'over the top American commentary' on all their demos?

Yes, yes you can :lol:
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale

Abbo46

Post by Abbo46 »

Luke28 wrote:I always enjoy the OTT stateside commentaries aswell.

Although a bit of 'comedy' from the Saturday of 2017.

*Dramatic build up music*

"Ladddddys and Gentleman, booooooys and girls, get ready to be wowed by the most advanced fighter jet in the wooooooooooooooorld todayyyyyyyyy"

*long pause*

"ladys and gentleman unfortunately due the low cloud the Raptor will not be able to display for you today"

:grin: :grin:

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

boff180 wrote:

Where most European F-16 displays are aerobatic, the US displays are more about showing off the capability of the aircraft.

I believe Zeus was initially trained by the US Viper Team. That is the best comparison.

What we want - Very very fast lots of vapour and Hugely noisey. :smile:

Go4Long

Post by Go4Long »

I think a lot of the reason that North American teams demos end up with such big pauses in them when performing in the UK is that the regs are so different. When they perform here a lot of the passes originate, or at least reposition behind the crowd, and you’re not allowed to do that in the UK regs. I was talking to the Canadian PAO about that and she said that because their brass signs off on the display as per the way they fly it in Canada they’re not allowed to change the passes too much to make it work and just ended up having to not do half of their passes.

The euro teams are still spending a lot of time repositioning, they’re just doing it in front of you and it seems like it’s more incorporated into the show even if they’re off in the distance and just turning around.

mark_aviation

Post by mark_aviation »

RIAT now saying the F-35B flypast is Friday and Sunday on Facebook? :dizzy:

[fb-post]https://www.facebook.com/139578839386689/posts/2484896491521567?s=100003312109318&sfns=mo[/fb-post]

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

IATthenRIAT wrote:
boff180 wrote:

What we want - Very very fast lots of vapour and Hugely noisey. :smile:

Yep this guy gets it.