RIAT 2019

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
Andyperkins

Re: RIAT 2019

Post by Andyperkins »

Hog wrote:Starting to think I should have got a ticket for Saturday now, It's ashame Saturday seems to be the main day at the moment. Would have liked to have been able to see the 747.

Just you wait for Sunday to get a B1, B2 & B52 flypast, the message boards would explode :lol:

harkins

Post by harkins »

Andyperkins wrote:
Hog wrote:Starting to think I should have got a ticket for Saturday now, It's ashame Saturday seems to be the main day at the moment. Would have liked to have been able to see the 747.

Just you wait for Sunday to get a B1, B2 & B-52 flypast, the message boards would explode :lol:

You might be right there, but am I alone in being a bit indifferent about flypasts? Those three aircraft are amazing, but if they just pass east to west once at 3 or 4000ft and even more so if it's a bit cloudy or worse at the time, it's a far cry from the days of seeing them bank and climb and take off and land. Admittedly a mass flypast has a bit more spectacle but they're very hard to achieve in these austere times. I recall the TTTE flypasts the other year were fairly underwhelming - for me at least, and I love the Tornado. It was all about the take-offs for me.

Jamie87

Post by Jamie87 »

I literally chose Sunday this year just to mix things up. Definitely chose the wrong year to do it. Unfortunately work doesn't allow me to purchase a multi day ticket.

If the surprise on the Sunday involves an American bomber then all will be forgiven. :whistle:
Cosford, RIAT, Rhyl, Southport

mark_aviation

Post by mark_aviation »

My best guess for the Sunday flypast would be Reds and F-15’s (celebrating NA tour and D-Day) or Reds and ‘Leaders’ (one Aircraft from each display team like Friday 2014). Getting a B-2 3 years in a row does seem too big an ask and all the B-1’s are broke so... :dunno:

CJS

Post by CJS »

Gonzo230 wrote:
Airshowhammer wrote:
CJS wrote:
Airshowhammer wrote:Saturday again :grin:
Was kind of hoping it would have been the Negus/Landor livery. Beggars can't be choosers though. Sundays flypast needs to step up thats for sure!

Sunday's flypast needs to exist at all for starters!

Yet another shame - and yes, I get that it's out of DBH's control etc etc...

I'm sure RIAT themselves said theres plans to have one on the Sunday? Or have I made that up? :lol:

The quote was..... 'planning two other special flypasts' .....for Sunday.

Yeah, I know that, but at the moment the planning hasn't materialsied in to anything actually real.
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

Fantastic addition. I sincerely hope Sunday ticket holders get something special as well though.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

mark_aviation wrote:My best guess for the Sunday flypast would be Reds and F-15’s (celebrating NA tour and D-Day) or Reds and ‘Leaders’ (one Aircraft from each display team like Friday 2014). Getting a B-2 3 years in a row does seem too big an ask and all the B-1’s are broke so... :dunno:

Thanks for the excellent inside information. :up:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Hog

Post by Hog »

I do not think we will be seeing a B-1 there are not many flying at the moment, the Static B-52 taking off for a few passes would be good but again highly unlikely. Much as I like the Reds and the F-15 I think it will have to be a little more WOW to make up for all that's happening on the Saturday. I could not go on the Sat this year, whatever is in the air is down to the generosity of visiting teams and out of RIAT's hands I suppose. Whatever turns up I will still enjoy the day like I always do. B-1 would be nice though :smile: Still hoping we get a Galaxy on static.

Tangoringo

Post by Tangoringo »

BA are getting a shiny new plaything in mid July. No delivery date absolutely confirmed yet #justsayin

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Brilliant! I have Sat & Sun tickets, so I am looking forward to it all :D

Might add Friday on next year and do all 3 days.

pb643

Post by pb643 »

Hog wrote:I do not think we will be seeing a B-1 there are not many flying at the moment, the Static B-52 taking off for a few passes would be good but again highly unlikely. Much as I like the Reds and the F-15 I think it will have to be a little more WOW to make up for all that's happening on the Saturday. I could not go on the Sat this year, whatever is in the air is down to the generosity of visiting teams and out of RIAT's hands I suppose. Whatever turns up I will still enjoy the day like I always do. B-1 would be nice though :smile: Still hoping we get a Galaxy on static.

Last I saw less than 10 airworthy B1B airframes out of a fleet of 90.

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

I read somewhere a few years back that an American aircraft cannot be moved from static display to flying during a show as unauthorised personal cannot be present under the wings when moving (something along them lines, please feel free to shut me down). So unless there is a change from it being static to flying and it being parked northside, its unlikely we'll see the B-52 flying.

Shame about the B-1, doubt we'll ever see one fly at RIAT again. Its been 12 years :sad:

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

Airshowhammer wrote:I read somewhere a few years back that an American aircraft cannot be moved from static display to flying during a show as unauthorised personal cannot be present under the wings when moving (something along them lines, please feel free to shut me down). So unless there is a change from it being static to flying and it being parked northside, its unlikely we'll see the B-52 flying.
If so, that should have prevented the Mildenhall MC-130s from departing between Saturday and Sunday a few years ago, or the EP-3 from departing before the show ended on the Sunday in '98 after spending the weekend in the static.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

aviodromefriend wrote:
Airshowhammer wrote:I read somewhere a few years back that an American aircraft cannot be moved from static display to flying during a show as unauthorised personal cannot be present under the wings when moving (something along them lines, please feel free to shut me down). So unless there is a change from it being static to flying and it being parked northside, its unlikely we'll see the B-52 flying.
If so, that should have prevented the Mildenhall MC-130s from departing between Saturday and Sunday a few years ago, or the EP-3 from departing before the show ended on the Sunday in '98 after spending the weekend in the static.

Interesting, like I said I could be completely wrong! I did read it on here a couple years back, but I might have misread :facepalm:

ted633

Post by ted633 »

Tangoringo wrote:BA are getting a shiny new plaything in mid July. No delivery date absolutely confirmed yet #justsayin

Unfortunately, the last we heard is delivery on the 23rd!

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

ted633 wrote:
Tangoringo wrote:BA are getting a shiny new plaything in mid July. No delivery date absolutely confirmed yet #justsayin

Unfortunately, the last we heard is delivery on the 23rd!

What is it, the A350?

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

Anyone for a Canadian f18 or whoever uses Bison 1

https://twitter.com/RIATairtraffic/stat ... 50368?s=09
Last edited by rdchawk on Mon 10 Jun 2019, 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur

Chris G

Post by Chris G »

Yes BA are getting the A350. Got to say after a few ropey looking weeks it's starting to come together quite nicely!

Luke28

Post by Luke28 »

rdchawk wrote:Anyone for a Canadian F-18 or whoever uses Bison 1

https://twitter.com/RIATairtraffic/stat ... 50368?s=09

Probably the Suisse one.

Abbo46

Post by Abbo46 »

Not to my knowledge, a Swiss callsign.

Go4Long

Post by Go4Long »

Canadian 429 squadron is the bisons...they fly C-17’s,or in our case CC-177’s. So this likely isn’t one of ours.

Luke28

Post by Luke28 »

Chris G wrote:Got to say after a few ropey looking weeks it's starting to come together quite nicely!

Indeed it is.

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Luke28 wrote:
Chris G wrote:Got to say after a few ropey looking weeks it's starting to come together quite nicely!

Indeed it is.

Come on be serious... Without the MiG-21, Harrier pair, Su-27, Swiss F-18, NATO Flypast, US Viper and Frecce is there really any highlights in the flying display?

:whistle:

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

All right... all right... but apart from the MiG-21, Harrier pair, Su-27, Swiss F-18, NATO Flypast, US Viper, Frecce, better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what has DBH done for us?

:grin: :grin:

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

:worship: