RIAT 2019

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
Sid-104

Re: RIAT 2019

Post by Sid-104 »

Red Dragon wrote:
jalfrezi wrote:A NASA WB-57 would be a nice coup, and not outside the realms of possibility.

As a complete shot in the dark I was thinking last night....

A flypast of a NASA WB-57 (or insert any other of the NASA fleet of aircraft) with the Reds? Yes I know I can dream! :grin:

That's what crossed my mind when I posted. I suppose we could get a touch and go from Lakenheath's finest so the commentators could say "the Eagle has landed".

Sid.

Georgeconna

Post by Georgeconna »

Monday P&V Advanced Tickets sold out.

Afer much Deliberation after a break for 4 years from IAT and UK shows I was tempted in traveling this year and and was just going to buy these Tickets this am along with a Sunday ticket and was going to view Saturdays display in Trotterdown (was waiting on a Friend to confirm attendance for a week) but it now looks like I will be staying firmly at home. Snooze you loose as they say.

Limited number of Tickets on the gate appatently.
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

The bit I never understand, have a sellout than allow a bun fight on the day, 2000 vultures and one small carcass. :dunno:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

trebleone
UKAR Supporter

Post by trebleone »

capercaillie wrote:The bit I never understand, have a sellout than allow a bun fight on the day, 2000 vultures and one small carcass. :dunno:

On the face of it, the policy appears to make no sense .... until, that is, you take into account the fact that the east-west split cannot be accurately predicted and as tickets can be used for either end, they cannot sell advance tickets to the full capacity of both ends or the situation would arise where, when one end reached capacity, arriving ticket holders would have to be turned away and sent to the other end. With the ever increasing numbers wishing to attend departures, a limit on advance tickets with remaining capacity filled with 'on the gate' sales, although not ideal, does work. As I see it, the only other viable options would be to not sell tickets on the gate, in which case there would be spare capacity wasted, or to make the tickets specific to each end, which wouldn't go down at all well.

JJC

Post by JJC »

RSV C-27J is back to its usual excellent routine this year (Derry turns/aileron rolls - but no loop) just watched it perform on the livestream over at Luchtmachtdagen.
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

JJC wrote:RSV C-27J is back to its usual excellent routine this year (Derry turns/aileron rolls - but no loop) just watched it perform on the livestream over at Luchtmachtdagen.

Was that due to cloudbase or just left out of routine? At least its going to be better than last year's yawnfest. :up:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

JJC

Post by JJC »

capercaillie wrote:
JJC wrote:RSV C-27J is back to its usual excellent routine this year (Derry turns/aileron rolls - but no loop) just watched it perform on the livestream over at Luchtmachtdagen.

Was that due to cloudbase or just left out of routine? At least its going to be better than last year's yawnfest. :up:

Couldn’t say for certain, but commentary was in English and there was no mention of anything being left out due to the cloud base. Most of other items seem to have enough room for their full show - we will have to wait and see, but certainly a vast improvement on last year!

CJS

Post by CJS »

JJC wrote:
capercaillie wrote:

Couldn’t say for certain, but commentary was in English and there was no mention of anything being left out due to the cloud base. Most of other items seem to have enough room for their full show - we will have to wait and see, but certainly a vast improvement on last year!

Love it, an Italian display at a Dutch show with a commentary in English :dizzy:

Be good to see some of that crazy flying back again for sure :hide: :rock:
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

PanaviaTornado

Post by PanaviaTornado »

I just watched the RDAF F-16 display on the Luchtmachtdagen livestream, what a display! Forgive me if already been covered but has the RDAF F-16 solo been confirmed as a no show for this year? Or is there still hope? It reminds me of the aggressive F-16 solos from years gone by, I'd love to see it at RIAT.

CJS

Post by CJS »

PanaviaTornado wrote:I just watched the RDAF F-16 display on the Luchtmachtdagen livestream, what a display! Forgive me if already been covered but has the RDAF F-16 solo been confirmed as a no show for this year? Or is there still hope? It reminds me of the aggressive F-16 solos from years gone by, I'd love to see it at RIAT.

They're taking part in the NATO flypast with an F-16, so I presume there won't be any further Danish updates, but I guess you never know!
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Danish F16 would be a fantastic addition. Looked the best fast jet display in years at Yeovilton last year.

Better not hope for too much though because some people might throw a tantrum and not attend because they feel so strongly about climate change :biggrin:

JJC

Post by JJC »

CJS wrote:
PanaviaTornado wrote:I just watched the RDAF F-16 display on the Luchtmachtdagen livestream, what a display! Forgive me if already been covered but has the RDAF F-16 solo been confirmed as a no show for this year? Or is there still hope? It reminds me of the aggressive F-16 solos from years gone by, I'd love to see it at RIAT.

They're taking part in the NATO flypast with an F-16, so I presume there won't be any further Danish updates, but I guess you never know!

Would be an excellent addition to the flying, as you say it is a superb display (as it was at Yeovilton last year). The Danes seem to operate the solo on a rather limited basis, as I believe the display is provided part-time, in addition to the normal duties of the pilot/squadron rather than as a dedicated ‘solo display team’.

If the RDAF intend to deploy F-16s to Fairford for the flypast, it would seem a shame if the solo display isn’t also on show, to capitalise on the assets being present and considering 2011 was the last time it displayed. As always, there is a lot more to it than that I’m sure and great to see the Danes providing support for the show in any form.

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

JJC wrote:
capercaillie wrote:

Last year at RIAT they said all the aerobatic stuff was left out as they wanted to show a more operational kind of demo. Now at Volkel it was back to aerobatics again.
CJS wrote:Love it, an Italian display at a Dutch show with a commentary in English :dizzy:
It is quite normal for non-Dutch displays to have their commentary in English if they fly in the Netherlands.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

frank

Post by frank »

trebleone wrote:
capercaillie wrote:The bit I never understand, have a sellout than allow a bun fight on the day, 2000 vultures and one small carcass. :dunno:

On the face of it, the policy appears to make no sense .... until, that is, you take into account the fact that the east-west split cannot be accurately predicted and as tickets can be used for either end, they cannot sell advance tickets to the full capacity of both ends or the situation would arise where, when one end reached capacity, arriving ticket holders would have to be turned away and sent to the other end. With the ever increasing numbers wishing to attend departures, a limit on advance tickets with remaining capacity filled with 'on the gate' sales, although not ideal, does work. As I see it, the only other viable options would be to not sell tickets on the gate, in which case there would be spare capacity wasted, or to make the tickets specific to each end, which wouldn't go down at all well.

This doesnt make sense either - people paying at the gate will arrive early to get in whilst advance ticket holders will still be arriving well after. How do you predict numbers on that basis.
The P&V`s - particulary the western end - are relatively small and getting more crowded every year. People last year had to ask the gate staff to stop allowing further on-gate sales as the western end was getting far too crowded. Those gate staff are generally very inexperienced or just don't pay attention to what`s going on.
Also if you are turned away at the gate - where do you go - you try to find somewhere else to view the departures

It would be far better to only do advance sales accepting people can go either end - at least you know what you are dealing with to a degree.
Its not a question of spare capacity wasted - thats just being too greedy at the expense of the comfort and experience of all.

trebleone
UKAR Supporter

Post by trebleone »

frank wrote:This doesn't make sense either - people paying at the gate will arrive early to get in whilst advance ticket holders will still be arriving well after. How do you predict numbers on that basis.

hmm ... on second thoughts, I guess you may be right ... but then they know how many advance tickets they've sold; so they have a finite number of on-the-gate tickets available ... although they don't know how many advance ticket holders will go to east and how many to west ... it all gets a bit confusing.
I wonder if there's an H&S ruling on maximum crowd capacity within a specified area?

frank wrote:Also if you are turned away at the gate - where do you go - you try to find somewhere else to view the departures

Well that's certainly true - I can't imagine anyone who is turned away just shrugging their shoulders, jumping in the car and driving back home.

frank wrote:It would be far better to only do advance sales accepting people can go either end - at least you know what you are dealing with to a degree.
Its not a question of spare capacity wasted - thats just being too greedy at the expense of the comfort and experience of all.

Have to agree with this - by far the fairest system.

While on the subject of things that don't make sense, can anyone see any reason for the left-right split of ladder / non-ladder areas in the P&Vs? Surely the logical divide would be parallel with the runway, with the ladder area in the rear portion of the enclosures, similar to the 10m exclusion zone in the showground on show days?

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

trebleone wrote:
frank wrote:

While on the subject of things that don't make sense, can anyone see any reason f ;or the left-right split of ladder / non-ladder areas in the P&Vs? Surely the logical divide would be parallel with the runway, with the ladder area in the rear portion of the enclosures, similar to the 10m exclusion zone in the showground on show days?

I didn't know they allowed any ladders into the airshow showground areas for health and safety reasons?

mark_aviation

Post by mark_aviation »

Judging by a post on the nutters group, (haven’t heard much of them on here this year!) there will be no Hellenic F-4’s this year according to the crews that are in The Netherlands at the moment.

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Probably to avoid any conflagration with the Turkish Phantoms..... :whistle:

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

MiG_Eater wrote:Probably to avoid any conflagration with the Turkish Phantoms..... :whistle:

The Greeks and Turks have been to Fairford many times before on the same weekend, indeed, i think at least once they both brought F-4's over for our delectation.

Remember Solo Turk and Zeus have displayed at FFD at the same show in very recent memory, at least once both in the same county :lmao:
Got to love Russianhardware

mark_aviation

Post by mark_aviation »

The Danes have a rather nice F-16 special this year. Here’s hoping...

https://twitter.com/rotorfocus/status/1 ... 88000?s=21

Gripenjetphotos

Post by Gripenjetphotos »

mark_aviation wrote:The Danes have a rather nice F-16 special this year. Here’s hoping...

https://twitter.com/rotorfocus/status/1 ... 88000?s=21

Could well see it in the NATO flypast.
I am impartial to a bit of jet noise.

Instagram- https://www.instagram.com/gripen_jet_photos/

Sid-104

Post by Sid-104 »

That's got knife-edge pass written all over it.

Sid.

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

I noticed at Duxford the BJT used flares, I don't want to be that guy, but surely Fairford is a much more safer place than Dux to store flares? Don't shoot down, i'm just interested in finding more about it :up:

Go4Long

Post by Go4Long »

Airshowhammer wrote:I noticed at Duxford the BJT used flares, I don't want to be that guy, but surely Fairford is a much more safer place than Dux to store flares? Don't shoot down, i'm just interested in finding more about it :up:

The c-130 also used flares, and from the pictures I’ve seen even the “mass attack” flypast was quite full of flarey goodness.

Abbo46

Post by Abbo46 »

Think you've confused Duxford with Volkel. :tongue: