RIAT 2019

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
Post Reply
FlankerPhoto
Posts: 599
Joined: Tue 25 Jun 2019, 4:43 pm

Re: RIAT 2019

Post by FlankerPhoto »

Are you suggesting you're aware of a name change or, just making some bizarre secondary comment?

IATthenRIAT
Posts: 1103
Joined: Sat 23 Jun 2018, 3:05 am

Re: RIAT 2019

Post by IATthenRIAT »

Go4Long wrote:
Big Eric wrote:
FlankerPhoto wrote:
IATthenRIAT wrote:
Yes times have changed and probably will continue to I can see a time when RIAT might be re named and branded as an Event possibly The Royal Internation Event and have even less military aircraft but a more diverse selection of events at the show.


Apologies for the selective quoting but, what on earth? :grin:


You are not alone, I have no idea what that bit means either! :lol:


I don't think we're allowed to make fun of senility anymore are we? I've lost track of all the people I'm not allowed to insult.


No need to insult anyone manners mean a lot more and everyone is entitled to an opinion or an observation - play nicely please sir. :wink:

IATthenRIAT
Posts: 1103
Joined: Sat 23 Jun 2018, 3:05 am

Re: RIAT 2019

Post by IATthenRIAT »

FlankerPhoto wrote:Are you suggesting you're aware of a name change or, just making some bizarre secondary comment?




I could just see it happening thats all call it a hunch.

User avatar
Go4Long
Posts: 610
Joined: Fri 26 May 2017, 2:18 am
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Contact:

Re: RIAT 2019

Post by Go4Long »

FlankerPhoto wrote:Are you suggesting you're aware of a name change or, just making some bizarre secondary comment?


Not sure what you call it over there...but here we call it talking out of ones ass.

IATthenRIAT
Posts: 1103
Joined: Sat 23 Jun 2018, 3:05 am

Re: RIAT 2019

Post by IATthenRIAT »

Go4Long wrote:
FlankerPhoto wrote:Are you suggesting you're aware of a name change or, just making some bizarre secondary comment?


Not sure what you call it over there...but here we call it talking out of ones ass.



Manners please.

edhunter
Posts: 587
Joined: Fri 25 Mar 2016, 10:27 am

Re: RIAT 2019

Post by edhunter »

A pair of phantoms now they are star items, I'm well happy with these additions. :clap: :clap: :yahoo: :yahoo:

User avatar
Wissam24
UKAR Staff
Posts: 7857
Joined: Mon 29 Apr 2013, 10:54 am
Location: London

Re: RIAT 2019

Post by Wissam24 »

IATthenRIAT wrote:
Go4Long wrote:
FlankerPhoto wrote:Are you suggesting you're aware of a name change or, just making some bizarre secondary comment?


Not sure what you call it over there...but here we call it talking out of ones ass.



Manners please.


Seconded
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | "soul-sapping mundanity"

User avatar
Gripenjetphotos
Posts: 355
Joined: Sat 07 May 2016, 7:30 pm

Re: RIAT 2019

Post by Gripenjetphotos »

Dutch Apache Cancelled
Instagram- https://www.instagram.com/gripen_jet_photos/

2019 shows:
Old Warden (Season Premiere)
RIAT (Thu, Sat, Mon)

User avatar
iainpeden
Posts: 3405
Joined: Sun 31 Aug 2008, 8:01 pm
Location: Great Oakley, Corby, Northants

Re: RIAT 2019

Post by iainpeden »

All these daily updates have me reminiscing for the pre-internet days when FIAT members got a couple of newsletters - usually about 4 months then a month before the show with the potential participants listed. It was great fun knowing it was in the offing, waiting for the envelope to drop through the letterbox than going down the 300+ list of what to expect.
Then arriving at the show to find new highlights had arrived or a few had cancelled (F-106s) or crashed into the Sahara (SAAF Shackleton).
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

Luke28
Posts: 1500
Joined: Fri 15 Jun 2012, 1:35 pm
Location: West Mids

Re: RIAT 2019

Post by Luke28 »

G67 wrote:
TomTwin wrote:
Get a lift or taxi. Sure there is something that can be done.


Would you say the same if they scrapped the shuttle buses on show days? Nah, thought not.

The *point* of the buses is that Fairford is difficult to reach by scheduled public transport or by just hoping someone us going the same way. Finally in 2018 DBH seemed to 'get' that not everyone has a car, and then in 2019 they promptly forgot again. Typical of them, their only consistency is inconsistency.


Were as your only consistency is finding faults within anything they do. They made it pretty clear early on that it was scrapped this year because hardly anybody used it last year, your 'argument' about them scrapping the show day busses is scraping the barrel.

daveseth
Posts: 77
Joined: Sat 28 Nov 2015, 4:22 pm

Re: RIAT 2019

Post by daveseth »

IATthenRIAT wrote:Reading through this whole section and also thinking back over the years of IAT/RIAT I think what may have given some people the hump is the way the structure of the event has/is changing over the years.

When it first started it was almost like an airforces get together but with public acsess, you almost got the impression it was a special privilege being there, as we have said it was no thrills just pure military metal - and thats all folk wanted.
Everyone knew there was other events to go to if you wanted a mixed event and plenty to satisfy anyone who was not just fixated on military and number crunching.

Yes times have changed and probably will continue to I can see a time when RIAT might be re named and branded as an Event possibly The Royal Internation Event and have even less military aircraft but a more diverse selection of events at the show.

Its still a fantastic day out and frankly better than sitting around the house or going shopping at the weekend. :up:


does the diverse events mean dog grooming and flower arranging demo's? :yahoo: but we must still have the wheel... :facepalm:

TomTwin
Posts: 1920
Joined: Fri 11 Jun 2010, 8:37 pm

Re: RIAT 2019

Post by TomTwin »

G67 wrote:
TomTwin wrote:
Get a lift or taxi. Sure there is something that can be done.


Would you say the same if they scrapped the shuttle buses on show days? Nah, thought not


The show days are a different story, there are more people attending than just a pedantic child moaning because they can’t get to Fairford to see some Phantoms.

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter
Posts: 1151
Joined: Sat 19 Dec 2009, 10:16 pm

Re: RIAT 2019

Post by UKTopgun »

Or even a petulant child

User avatar
CJS
Posts: 7946
Joined: Thu 15 Jul 2010, 4:30 pm
Location: Hogwarts

Re: RIAT 2019

Post by CJS »

UKTopgun wrote:Or even a petulant child


Stop being so pedantic...
With just the slightest bit of finesse, I might have made a little less mess.

User avatar
Mr Benn
Posts: 228
Joined: Mon 10 May 2010, 9:49 am
Location: WORCESTERSHIRE

Re: RIAT 2019

Post by Mr Benn »

What are the chances of the phantoms flying in on the Friday, as we plan to go that day . In fact Do the arrivals for the Friday get posted in advance ? First time ive been on an part arrivals day, so will be keen to know how early to get there, bearing in mind Mrs Benn and 2 others are in tow !
Thanks.

TomTwin
Posts: 1920
Joined: Fri 11 Jun 2010, 8:37 pm

Re: RIAT 2019

Post by TomTwin »

UKTopgun wrote:Or even a petulant child


That works too, thank you! :clap: :grin:

CJS wrote:
UKTopgun wrote:Or even a petulant child


Stop being so pedantic...


Don’t you start Mister!! :lol:

TomTwin
Posts: 1920
Joined: Fri 11 Jun 2010, 8:37 pm

Re: RIAT 2019

Post by TomTwin »

Mr Benn wrote:What are the chances of the phantoms flying in on the Friday, as we plan to go that day . In fact Do the arrivals for the Friday get posted in advance ? First time I've been on an part arrivals day, so will be keen to know how early to get there, bearing in mind Mrs Benn and 2 others are in tow !
Thanks.


Get a Daily Flying programme, also known as a sheet of lies, and see if the Phantoms are on the list. If not, they are probably already in.

FlankerPhoto
Posts: 599
Joined: Tue 25 Jun 2019, 4:43 pm

Re: RIAT 2019

Post by FlankerPhoto »

Mr Benn wrote:What are the chances of the phantoms flying in on the Friday, as we plan to go that day . In fact Do the arrivals for the Friday get posted in advance ? First time I've been on an part arrivals day, so will be keen to know how early to get there, bearing in mind Mrs Benn and 2 others are in tow !
Thanks.

Very, very unlikely unfortunately.

Wednesday is most likely.

Woodster
Posts: 82
Joined: Thu 23 Jun 2016, 7:53 pm

Re: RIAT 2019

Post by Woodster »

Wow, a couple of Turkish Delights in 3 weeks. :yahoo: I never thought we'd see these F-4s back at RIAT and as much as I wanted SoloTurk to surprise us again I'll settle for these this year. Would have love to see them in the air like every enthusiast would (no I'm not doing arrivals or departures), however wouldn't it be something to have them confirmed in the NATO flypast? :heyhey:

I must admit I've been eyeing up Yeovilton myself recently as they have some awesome rare items at UK airshows however RIAT is still the one to be at.
Just airing my tuppence worth! People have been arguing points all year on this forum, thats what a forum is for, to air your opinions and discuss the matter at hand. :snack: RIAT or DBH will always be criticised in todays media and social online age. Someone will always find something that offends them, we've turned into a Nanny state and everything you do can be great as well as diabolical dependng who reads/sees it.
Back to the point of RIAT being the one to be at - for a start we have the Harrier Duo and MiG-21 which are two star items that we probably may never see again in the UK airshow scene. Add on a Flanker, Swedish Gripen and both the Swiss & Finnish Hornets as well as the Italian displays that are usually very good plus the Viper display from the US and probably the best European F-16 Belgian display and you've got something miles better than anywhere in Europe if not the world. Add on the usual british fayre of the Typhoon (which is probably the best display I've seen it fly!), BBMF, Red Arrows, Chinook and Apache displays to keep the kids and Gramps happy as well as RIAT faithfuls the RJF plus the lesser appealing acts for us enthusiasts and you've got a bloody good weekend away with like minded people! Oh I forgot to add on the flypasts that are only unique to RIAT.

Numbers wise I make it around the 162 mark. This does not include spares or support aircraft and only what is announced. Compare this to last year and we're down by 45 aircraft. More closer to 2016 numbers but a decent update of 20 aircraft will have it on par with 2017.
Going by form we are still potentially expecting the Japanese confirmation and agree that no French participation is worrying. Even if PdF do confirm it's still a bit lacklustre from the ever so reliable neighbours across the water.
As for the flying displays I think we are 3-4 items short overall taking into consideration some will only fly on specific days etc however we are not 100% sure of the full flypast extent.

There are potentially 3 Thursday updates still to go so there could still be some awesome additions to come!
I would love to see DBH confirm Japanese F-15s or F-4s on the run up to the show and watch all those negative folk rush to buy their Sunday tickets! :hide:
3 weeks! :yahoo:

FlankerPhoto
Posts: 599
Joined: Tue 25 Jun 2019, 4:43 pm

Re: RIAT 2019

Post by FlankerPhoto »

Can't comment on the reliability but,

According to a post on Facebook, the reason for the late French confirmation is due to something rather political in nature (no, not Brexit), this was also the reason for the late confirmation of the TBM.700 at Cosford. So it could be a case of waiting and seeing what turns up from the French during the arrivals.

Once again, no idea if this is reliable or not.

Woodster
Posts: 82
Joined: Thu 23 Jun 2016, 7:53 pm

Re: RIAT 2019

Post by Woodster »

FlankerPhoto wrote:Can't comment on the reliability but,

According to a post on Facebook, the reason for the late French confirmation is due to something rather political in nature (no, not Brexit), this was also the reason for the late confirmation of the TBM.700 at Cosford. So it could be a case of waiting and seeing what turns up from the French during the arrivals.

Once again, no idea if this is reliable or not.


Would this be anything to do with the UK pulling out from the new French Stealth project earlier this year maybe? :ninja:

User avatar
Tmyers123
Posts: 1069
Joined: Thu 03 May 2018, 7:05 pm
Location: West Yorkshire

Re: RIAT 2019

Post by Tmyers123 »

FlankerPhoto wrote:Can't comment on the reliability but,

According to a post on Facebook, the reason for the late French confirmation is due to something rather political in nature (no, not Brexit), this was also the reason for the late confirmation of the TBM.700 at Cosford. So it could be a case of waiting and seeing what turns up from the French during the arrivals.

Once again, no idea if this is reliable or not.


Got a link to this post?

Airshowhammer

Re: RIAT 2019

Post by Airshowhammer »

TomTwin wrote:
G67 wrote:
TomTwin wrote:
Get a lift or taxi. Sure there is something that can be done.


Would you say the same if they scrapped the shuttle buses on show days? Nah, thought not


The show days are a different story, there are more people attending than just a pedantic child moaning because they can’t get to Fairford to see some Phantoms.


Oh for goodness sake, this response itself is childish. If i'm honest i've never seen a Phantom move, never mind fly and its not exactly like they have much time left. They are something i'd absolutely love to see. Its my opinion, stop thinking you have the upper high ground just because you can get to arrivals and I can't. Hope your car breaks down.

User avatar
Tmyers123
Posts: 1069
Joined: Thu 03 May 2018, 7:05 pm
Location: West Yorkshire

Re: RIAT 2019

Post by Tmyers123 »

Airshowhammer wrote: Hope your car breaks down.


:lmao:

Airshowhammer

Re: RIAT 2019

Post by Airshowhammer »

Reading over that I do let my BPD get the better of me. I can be such an obnoxious "dwad" sometimes. Sorry Tom Twin, I do hope you actually enjoy your day :facepalm:

Post Reply