RIAT 2019

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
Rossbeef

Re: RIAT 2019

Post by Rossbeef »

Whilst I would say the show is looking no where near a classic, I think it is a pretty solid line up. Su-27, MiG-21, Harriers, and i do keep forgetting about the USAF F-16 as I have not seen that since 05. I know it is not the best of F-16 displays but for this years display, THAT take-off looks fantastic.

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

I know I may as well be their PR, but I promise you I have been extremely critical of them in the past. Alexandra Burke, the 2008 fiasco, the Caterhams, the lack of commentary in the FRIAT stand last year - these all attracted my ire.

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Rossbeef wrote:Whilst I would say the show is looking no where near a classic, I think it is a pretty solid line up. Su-27, MiG-21, Harriers, and i do keep forgetting about the USAF F-16 as I have not seen that since 05. I know it is not the best of F-16 displays but for this years display, THAT take-off looks fantastic.

Nowhere near ... what on earth would make it a classic if not a pair of Harriers and a MiG-21 (plus the very decent static display and a host of other absolutely great fast jets).

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

MiG_Eater wrote:
Rossbeef wrote:Whilst I would say the show is looking no where near a classic, I think it is a pretty solid line up. Su-27, MiG-21, Harriers, and i do keep forgetting about the USAF F-16 as I have not seen that since 05. I know it is not the best of F-16 displays but for this years display, THAT take-off looks fantastic.

Nowhere near ... what on earth would make it a classic if not a pair of Harriers and a MiG-21 (plus the very decent static display and a host of other absolutely great fast jets).

What year did you start going? :ninja:

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

1991 - but I think it would be a little unfair to start saying that in order for a 'classic' airshow to occur air arms need to start re-equipping with retired aircraft. I'm just saying, this airshow has everything that makes a classic RIAT: a massive static display, aircraft you can't see anywhere else, real rarities, a wealth of 'ordinary' fast jets like F-16s, F/A-18s, Typhoons etc. I mean, genuinely - what more do people want?

I'm so excited by this year's RIAT. The chance to see the Su-27 again would warrant excitement in itself, but the prospect of a Fishbed and Harriers amongst all the other great stuff is just mouth watering! :cool:

Rossbeef

Post by Rossbeef »

MiG_Eater wrote:

Opinions.

Roger_Over

Post by Roger_Over »

My first RIAT was 2000 at Cottesmore, the retirement of RAF Tornados this year was a reminder of the near-future loss of a few cold war types such as Mig-21 and Harrier that I’d still love to see in the air where they belong and RIAT ticks a lot of boxes for me, especially if I get to see the F-4s / Hunters / Meteor/ B-52 leave on Monday as well…

I’m really looking forward to the show and praying we don’t suffer too many cancellations!

play it cool

Post by play it cool »

Roger_Over wrote:especially if I get to see the....B-52 leave on Monday as well

I wouldn’t hold your breath!

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

I wouldn't get your hopes up about the BUFF, Roger. For some reason the bombers have been skipping Monday departure the last couple of years. No idea why.

TomTwin

Post by TomTwin »

MiG_Eater wrote:I wouldn't get your hopes up about the BUFF, Roger. For some reason the bombers have been skipping Monday departure the last couple of years. No idea why.

They need a tanker from Mildenhall to fuel them on the journey back, or it could just be they want an altitude reservation and they use Tuesdays for it.

If I’m wrong I’m sure someone in the know will correct me!

Roger_Over

Post by Roger_Over »

Thanks, of the things on my flying wish list the B-52 is probably the one I'm least bothered about as we know if you really want to see one you should be able to on the next operational deployment.

For departures Phantoms (plus Mig-21 / Su-27) are the main event for me, I used to take them for granted and haven't seen one fly for about 30 years! Fingers crossed anyway

st24

Post by st24 »

MiG_Eater wrote:It has often been the case that the flying displays have been different on each day - in fact it was a hallmark of the classic '90s shows

I would never call it a "hallmark" of the' 90s shows- sure F-16s, 18s, odd teams and Tornado displays were swooped purely due to there being so many but the show sealers - the debuts/feature set pieces and flypasts were always on both days. That said of course there was never the annoyance of a half hearted Friday display back then to interfere..
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

edhunter

Post by edhunter »

is the cessna f-406 from the maritime and coastguard agency still coming as i can't see it on the website in the confirmed aircraft section?

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

edhunter wrote:is the cessna f-406 from the maritime and coastguard agency still coming as i can't see it on the website in the confirmed aircraft section?

Don't think it's ever been put on the list.
Did you hear about the dyslexic pimp? He bought a ware house!
Proud member of the Silverstone Marshalling Team

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

rdchawk wrote:
edhunter wrote:is the cessna f-406 from the maritime and coastguard agency still coming as i can't see it on the website in the confirmed aircraft section?

Don't think it's ever been put on the list.

Correct. Amateurs. :whistle:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

harkins

Post by harkins »

Rossbeef wrote:
MiG_Eater wrote:

Opinions.

That is the thing isn't it? In my eyes the static is decent at best. From the perspective of someone who will be there for the full week, the static is very significant - not so much whilst parked among the cones and ice cream vans but whilst arriving and departing. And I just can't see it as 'very decent'. Apart from actual numbers which I'm sure is probably a tad down on typical in recent times, it just seems so vanilla to me (Turkish F-4s aside) and seems a little predictable these days.

As someone else said, there's no bringing back what has gone for a 90's show but, there are still so many types being operated around Europe that we more or less never get to see anymore. Greece have sent nothing for static but there are Buckeyes, Phantoms and Mirage 2000s plus things like their C-130 and EMB-145. Portugal have no showed again but if they had sent something it would be a CN-295, not that amazing Merlin is SEA camo. Germany have supported brilliantly but how we all wish to see a CH-53 again one day. Norway still have P-3s and Falcon 20s. Spain, amazing to see the Navy's Harriers, yet their air force have given it a complete miss, so apart from no Hornet or Typhoon, definitely no C-130 or F-5 which could have also come courtesy of Switzerland. France are notably absent and they still have Mirage 2000s and Alpha Jets and their Navy fly Hawkeyes and Falcon 10s. No Poles this year, so no Fitters or Fulcrums and no Hind, be it from Poland or the Czechs who are also absent. Then the Slovaks send a C-27 again when they do still have Fulcrums. Also mentioned elsewhere recently, Tiger and Mangusta attack helicopters are operated around Europe and finally Discovery Air aren't far away with their A-4s but remain unseen despite a couple of apparently close calls. And when you look beyond Europe and the USAFE, this year is certainly not a classic by any stretch.

So my point is kind of that whilst it's not 1994, there is still more than enough kit out there for a classic to occur and yet it feels as if it's generally the same types from the same countries/squadrons year in year out. Of course, I'm certainly not expecting to see 'all' of that turn up but, if 2 or 3 of those things I listed and maybe something from the Far East and South America or the Middle East turned up it would move it up to being a classic for sure. Anyway, that's my opinion on how I see the show this year and how I see that it is at least technically possible for it to be better with just 2 or 3 additional or even alternative types.

And that's before getting into the whys and wherefores of not paying out for a Wessex, Viggen, Draken or Mirage III for static.

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

2012 was the last classic imo.

Harkins, you are on fine form this year arn't you sir?

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Total static is equal if not greater than 2017 at the moment.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

boff180 wrote:Total static is equal if not greater than 2017 at the moment.

Sure, but numbers don't mean quality. How much of it is "guff"
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Wasn't commenting on that :-) just the comments that static numbers were down on recent years :-)

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

edited for idiocy :facepalm:
Last edited by HeyfordDave111 on Wed 10 Jul 2019, 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Got to love Russianhardware

FlankerPhoto

Post by FlankerPhoto »

Apologies, misread the initial post.
Last edited by FlankerPhoto on Tue 09 Jul 2019, 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

harkins

Post by harkins »

Airshowhammer wrote:2012 was the last classic IMO.

Harkins, you are on fine form this year arn't you sir?

Not sure I follow but, thanks anyway?

Ok, I haven't added everything up and maybe it is on a par in total airframes, but that isn't always that relevant in so much as some display teams have more aircraft than others and among ourselves, we have different takes on 'what counts' as most of the civilian stuff doesn't mean much to me and that even includes Qinetic and the Coastguard.

For everything I said though, it's interesting that the only thing that gets any kind of response is that one bit where someone can say that actually including some drone brought in on the back of a lorry means the numbers are the same or better than other years. I agree with Tommy, quality counts just as much as numbers and while I stress that I'm not saying it's "Kris Kris Tofferson!", I do believe that we are not exactly looking at a classic in terms of the static display and in turn the show as a whole. And before anyone says, yes, the Harriers and Mig-21 and the Flanker are brilliant and would be stars of any show anywhere anytime.

And numbers aside, I believe everything else I said was just a fair and honest observation that if the stars aligned we could still see a show that would compare favourably with the halcyon days of the 90's and I wasn't even criticising the organisers or any air arms.

Anyway, I will be there, I am looking forward to it and I will enjoy it (believe it or not).
Last edited by harkins on Tue 09 Jul 2019, 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

harkins

Post by harkins »

HeyfordDave111 wrote:As Harkins said, and i alluded to a couple of months ago..... who have we pee'd off in Europe this year....
French? Spanish? Portugese? Austrians? Greeks?, Slovakians? ..... those that aren't coming but usually do is quite remarkable, and anyone who goes regularly (since 93 for me) you have to ask if we have urinated on their chips somehow?

I mean no offence Dave but, can I just clarify that I didn't actually say that? I just mentioned some nations that haven't chosen/been able to send anything for static this year (and I acknowledged that Slovakia has) and I haven't speculated as to why.

As I said somewhere else recently on here, I stand by my own posts and accept the flack I sometimes get, but I'd rather not get extra grief for things I didn't type.

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

harkins wrote:
Rossbeef wrote:
MiG_Eater wrote:

Opinions.

That is the thing isn't it? In my eyes the static is decent at best. From the perspective of someone who will be there for the full week, the static is very significant - not so much whilst parked among the cones and ice cream vans but whilst arriving and departing. And I just can't see it as 'very decent'. Apart from actual numbers which I'm sure is probably a tad down on typical in recent times, it just seems so vanilla to me (Turkish F-4s aside) and seems a little predictable these days.

As someone else said, there's no bringing back what has gone for a 90's show but, there are still so many types being operated around Europe that we more or less never get to see anymore. Greece have sent nothing for static but there are Buckeyes, Phantoms and Mirage 2000s plus things like their C-130 and EMB-145. Portugal have no showed again but if they had sent something it would be a CN-295, not that amazing Merlin is SEA camo. Germany have supported brilliantly but how we all wish to see a CH-53 again one day. Norway still have P-3s and Falcon 20s. Spain, amazing to see the Navy's Harriers, yet their air force have given it a complete miss, so apart from no Hornet or Typhoon, definitely no C-130 or F-5 which could have also come courtesy of Switzerland. France are notably absent and they still have Mirage 2000s and Alpha Jets and their Navy fly Hawkeyes and Falcon 10s. No Poles this year, so no Fitters or Fulcrums and no Hind, be it from Poland or the Czechs who are also absent. Then the Slovaks send a C-27 again when they do still have Fulcrums. Also mentioned elsewhere recently, Tiger and Mangusta attack helicopters are operated around Europe and finally Discovery Air aren't far away with their A-4s but remain unseen despite a couple of apparently close calls. And when you look beyond Europe and the USAFE, this year is certainly not a classic by any stretch.

So my point is kind of that whilst it's not 1994, there is still more than enough kit out there for a classic to occur and yet it feels as if it's generally the same types from the same countries/squadrons year in year out. Of course, I'm certainly not expecting to see 'all' of that turn up but, if 2 or 3 of those things I listed and maybe something from the Far East and South America or the Middle East turned up it would move it up to being a classic for sure. Anyway, that's my opinion on how I see the show this year and how I see that it is at least technically possible for it to be better with just 2 or 3 additional or even alternative types.

And that's before getting into the whys and wherefores of not paying out for a Wessex, Viggen, Draken or Mirage III for static.

A really fair post Harkins. It's easy to forget what's still about.