Friday and Saturday only - jeez... :mad:

Thought you'd like that Chris, I'll try and get an autograph for you. :up:

Cheers Caper, appreciate that :up: :grin:
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

Ian G
UKAR Staff

Re: RIAT 2019

Post by Ian G »

JackyRIATWilson wrote:Unless a kind-hearted soul fancies saving myself and my brother a spot, payment can be either £20 or unlimited chips that day? :grin:

Will you just give the money to the person who saves you a seat or are you prepared to go and get the chips as well?
Garf's website and Flickr Photostream

"Which road can I close for you today?"

#tapestries

JackyRIATWilson

Post by JackyRIATWilson »

Ian G wrote:
JackyRIATWilson wrote:Unless a kind-hearted soul fancies saving myself and my brother a spot, payment can be either £20 or unlimited chips that day? :grin:

Will you just give the money to the person who saves you a seat or are you prepared to go and get the chips as well?

Prepared to get the chips. :grin:

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

rdchawk wrote:I read that as him solely attending for a conference - nothing aircraft related at all.

Whoosh.

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Tmyers123 wrote:
rdchawk wrote:I read that as him solely attending for a conference - nothing aircraft related at all.

Whoosh.

:grin:

mark_aviation

Post by mark_aviation »

Harrier pair still expected to display on Sunday as per RIAT’s latest email. I get the feeling from the tone of the email that they aren’t going to be announcing anything else.

bobby 1211

Post by bobby 1211 »

Friday:
13:15 NATO Flypast
14:30 Red Arrows Display
Saturday:
12:15 British Airways 747 / Red Arrows Flypast
14:15 NATO Flypast
Sunday:
16:10 Red Arrows Display

Chopper81

Post by Chopper81 »

austinp wrote:
FlankerPhoto wrote:Park & View at each end of the runway, East at 27 & West at 09. Get there early, tend to fill up rather quickly. :up:

Until Thursday evening, there's absolutely no way of knowing where anything will be parked.

Cheers :-)

The better half wishes us to arrive at P&V around 9am, is that likely to be too late? I'd prefer earlier...

Depends what your after, standing at the fence with a 600mm lens blocking peoples view who are happy to just sit down and watch all day without a camera then you want to be there at 4am still gushing over your Yeovilton pics! Happy to sit 20 meters behind said people? Then do as I do, arrive at 8ish in the car park, take your time and walk down and get a nice spot for around the first arrival and chill out all day!

Wes_Howes

Post by Wes_Howes »

Chopper81 wrote: standing at the fence with a 600mm lens blocking peoples view who are happy to just sit down and watch all day without a camera then you want to be there at 4am

And what's the problem with this? If they're willing to get there at 4am then surely you can't begrudge someone that opportunity. Some people (or most for the arrivals days at least) are there to get photos and I'd wager that they all want to get the best pictures they can. If that means getting in the queue at 4am to get the prime locations then so be it, if you're just there to sit and watch, that's your choice but if you want to be at the front, then you know the game...
Last edited by Wes_Howes on Mon 15 Jul 2019, 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

austinp

Post by austinp »

Chopper81 wrote:
austinp wrote:
FlankerPhoto wrote:Park & View at each end of the runway, East at 27 & West at 09. Get there early, tend to fill up rather quickly. :up:

Until Thursday evening, there's absolutely no way of knowing where anything will be parked.

Cheers :-)

The better half wishes us to arrive at P&V around 9am, is that likely to be too late? I'd prefer earlier...

Depends what your after, standing at the fence with a 600mm lens blocking peoples view who are happy to just sit down and watch all day without a camera then you want to be there at 4am still gushing over your Yeovilton pics! Happy to sit 20 meters behind said people? Then do as I do, arrive at 8ish in the car park, take your time and walk down and get a nice spot for around the first arrival and chill out all day!

That sounds perfect to me :-)

Chopper81

Post by Chopper81 »

Wes_Howes wrote:
Chopper81 wrote: standing at the fence with a 600mm lens blocking peoples view who are happy to just sit down and watch all day without a camera then you want to be there at 4am

And what's the problem with this? If they're willing to get there at 4am then surely you can't begrudge someone that opportunity. Some people (or most for the arrivals days at least) are there to get photos and I'd wager that they all want to get the best pictures they can. If that means getting in the queue at 4am to get the prime locations then so be it, if you're just there to sit and watch, why do you need to be at the front? :dunno:

Not an issue for me sir I'm happy sat further back, watching and chilling out! The chap a few years back running around the no ladder area with an massive ladder smacking into people wished he had been there at 4 though :lol:

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Another bizarrely toned response, chilling out while bitching about having their view blocked :dizzy: - must be the mix of testosterone and avgas in the air - I predict a riat. :dunno:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Chopper81

Post by Chopper81 »

capercaillie wrote: I predict a RIAT. :dunno:

:clap: like that

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

capercaillie wrote:Another bizarrely toned response, chilling out while bitching about having their view blocked :dizzy: - must be the mix of testosterone and avgas in the air - I predict a RIAT. :dunno:

If there is one thing for sure, Harriers, the Red Arrows and anything noisy and fast alters the disposition of the crowd line every single time. As soon as the commentator announces anything meeting the previous description is either running in or about to take off, you can hear the crowd getting up onto their feet instantly blocking a clear view. I noticed in the Netherlands it is still seemingly acceptable to stand on step ladders and hog the moment for your self and your megaphone dwarfing camera lens. There is no need to stand up, if everyone remained seated, you'd see the lot. Because I'm getting to an age now where I'd rather take photos and film from a seated position (entirely possibly) I get quite irritated, and it invariably happens, that a bunch of individuals (they seek me out I'm sure) always, a half an hour to an hour after finding a place, pitch up and park themselves right in my line of sight, either just to the left or to the right and they can never sit down when any fast jet, the red arrows or anything else interesting is taking centre stage. I have now, at RIAT and similar events, taken to finding a small tent and sitting immediately behind it or just to one side, this seems to alleviate the blight somewhat. If I do, usually compelled by the afore mentioned find I have to stand up as well, to see anything, I do my best to avoid blocking anyone's view. RANT complete! :biggrin:

FB :cuppa:
I have danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings!

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

You get irritated FB? Really?

Surely if everyone remain seated, your view would still be as blocked as if everyone was stood up? You'd just be lower? :whistle:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

harkins

Post by harkins »

Can somebody sell me this years RIAT? I'm going for the full week, heading off tomorrow evening but, I just am not feeling it at the moment. I can't explain it but I just haven't got the usual buzz. I don't know if it's down to me feeling that this years collection of aircraft is lacking strength in depth, the bonkers marketing, the whole Sunday thing and resultant worst flypast announcement ever or maybe even the slightly depressing weather forecasts I'm seeing but, I haven't even prepared my camera gear and packed yet. I'm sure there's someone who can convince/remind me how great it is going to be.

JackyRIATWilson

harkins wrote:Can somebody sell me this years RIAT? I'm going for the full week, heading off tomorrow evening but, I just am not feeling it at the moment. I can't explain it but I just haven't got the usual buzz. I don't know if it's down to me feeling that this years collection of aircraft is lacking strength in depth, the bonkers marketing, the whole Sunday thing and resultant worst flypast announcement ever or maybe even the slightly depressing weather forecasts I'm seeing but, I haven't even prepared my camera gear and packed yet. I'm sure there's someone who can convince/remind me how great it is going to be.

Are you doing Mach 3 FRIAT?

bobby 1211

Post by bobby 1211 »

how do i get a RIAT checklist?

Luke28

Post by Luke28 »

bobby 1211 wrote:how do i get a RIAT checklist?

They sell them on the day I believe.

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

harkins wrote:Can somebody sell me this years RIAT? I'm going for the full week, heading off tomorrow evening but, I just am not feeling it at the moment. I can't explain it but I just haven't got the usual buzz. I don't know if it's down to me feeling that this years collection of aircraft is lacking strength in depth, the bonkers marketing, the whole Sunday thing and resultant worst flypast announcement ever or maybe even the slightly depressing weather forecasts I'm seeing but, I haven't even prepared my camera gear and packed yet. I'm sure there's someone who can convince/remind me how great it is going to be.

How would you feel if a pair of Phantoms flew over you today?

How about a pair of Su-27s?

How about a MiG-21?

How much effort would you go to to take a picture of these aircraft landing at your local airbase if you knew they were on their way?

Well... Wednesday-Monday RAF Fairford is your local air base, and these aircraft are just the cherries on the most beautiful cake you will eat this year!

JackyRIATWilson

bobby 1211 wrote:how do i get a RIAT checklist?

They will normally have a stand or something saying "Aircraft Checklist" spaced out in all of the zones.

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

harkins wrote:, the bonkers marketing, the whole Sunday thing and resultant worst flypast announcement ever

This, I’m the same, it just seems to feel like a chore to get ready, DBHs build up has left me totally underwhelmed. I’m sure when the first aircraft touches down my mind will change but right now I’m just a bit meh
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

First arrival.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/BAESystemsAir/status/1150749579761061888[/tweet]