RIAT 2019

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
mark_aviation

Re: RIAT 2019

Post by mark_aviation »

JackyRIATWilson wrote:
bobby 1211 wrote:how do i get a RIAT checklist?

They will normally have a stand or something saying "Aircraft Checklist" spaced out in all of the zones.

Think they’re £2 but there’s a limited amount so buy one earlier in the day. Alternatively, just keep an eye on social and someone usually posts photos of them first thing.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

[tweet]https://twitter.com/349BelSqn/status/1150730977192419329[/tweet]

austinp

Post by austinp »

jasonT1981 wrote:First arrival.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/BAESystemsAir/status/1150749579761061888[/tweet]

A giant model kit :-)

harkins

Post by harkins »

JackyRIATWilson wrote:Are you doing Mach 3 FRIAT?

I am. Although I don't have my pass yet as Royal Mail lost it and I will now need to pick it up when I arrive at the enclosure, probably Friday. So even that has perhaps contributed to my slight lack of usual enthusiasm.

Domvickery wrote:
harkins wrote:, the bonkers marketing, the whole Sunday thing and resultant worst flypast announcement ever

This, I’m the same, it just seems to feel like a chore to get ready, DBHs build up has left me totally underwhelmed. I’m sure when the first aircraft touches down my mind will change but right now I’m just a bit meh

That's the thing, despite the not fantastic build up this year I'm sure you're right and once that B-52 appears on finals on Wednesday morning (fingers crossed after last year) then the buzz will return.

And MiG_Eater, you are right, there's some terrific aircraft due in that I'm genuinely excited about. I think I've just dwelt a bit on the numerous things that 'could' have come and haven't. I am seriously excited to see the Turkish F-4s, Sea Harriers (despite the bloody terrible tails) and the Mig-21.

I'm sure I'll be fine once I'm sat in the P&V on Wednesday morning. Definitely taking a good book this year though as I have no doubt that owing in part to my specific aircraft interests that there will be a lot of down time in arrivals and displays.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

At least that's cheered harkins up now and made him pack his bags. :biggrin: :up:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

harkins

Post by harkins »

capercaillie wrote:

At least that's cheered harkins up now and made him pack his bags. :biggrin: :up:

I'm now packing green and dark sea grey paint and a roller and will attempt to make that thing look slightly less horrific to look at. Just when you though aircraft design couldn't get any less interesting!

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Domvickery wrote:
harkins wrote:, the bonkers marketing, the whole Sunday thing and resultant worst flypast announcement ever

This, I’m the same, it just seems to feel like a chore to get ready, DBHs build up has left me totally underwhelmed. I’m sure when the first aircraft touches down my mind will change but right now I’m just a bit meh

+1.

I'm usually like a kid before Christmas, this year i'm just like 'urgh do I really have to get up at 5am'.

*Edit that Tempest thing is hideous, looks like a Pterosaur :sick:

MarkEstus

Post by MarkEstus »

Airshowhammer wrote:
Domvickery wrote:

+1.

I'm usually like a kid before Christmas, this year i'm just like 'urgh do I really have to get up at 5am'.

*Edit that Tempest thing is hideous, looks like a Pterosaur :sick:

Dont go then :)
- https://www.facebook.com/groups/332375753559900/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Luke28

Post by Luke28 »

He'll be there and he'll love it. That Christmas line is his trademark :lol: :lol:

CJS

Post by CJS »

harkins wrote:
capercaillie wrote:

I'm now packing green and dark sea grey paint and a roller and will attempt to make that thing look slightly less horrific to look at. Just when you though aircraft design couldn't get any less interesting!

Oh I dunno, at least the Roundals are in colour on this featureless grey lump, unlike the other featureless grey lumps.

Also, can I just say that they may not have coned it off brilliantly just yet...
Last edited by CJS on Mon 15 Jul 2019, 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

they could have at least put some invasion stripes on it

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Jeez, you miserable bunch of layablouts, its a week in sunny, well cloudy, maybe rainy, look its a week in Gloucestershire, with some stunning aircraft - some in exceptional schemes such as the D-Day F-16s, the Danish Flag F-16, Richthofen EF2000, Schleswig special Tornado and RAF D-Day Typhoon performing take offs and flybys for everyone (unless you're going only Sunday), and the long time return of classics such as the Harriers and MiG21.

For your money you have a 7 hour flying display (unless of course you're going only Friday) but at least then you will have more time to see Tim Peake and all the spaceships and rockets or have a ride on the gigantic Ferris Wheel that will be ruining your static pictures.

On Friday or Saturday you can play spot the Japanese Air Chief of Staff in between passes of the Patrouille de France while those on Sunday can play count the spinning propellers on the formation of the century.

In the static park look for the first debut of the Firebird drone brought over in a truck and the beautiful shape of things to come with the Tempest, with any luck they can be in the same photo as the Turkish Phantoms highlighting contrasts in technology.

Even your favourite airline is joining in with the flypast of the BOAC liveried 747 with the Red Arrows and see how many of your favourite celebrities from the adverts are waving in the windows - Dame Olivia Coleman, Dame Grayson Perry, Dame Anthony Joshua and Dame Nicola Adams are all rumoured to be on board along with Helen Sharman to link in with RIAT's highly publicised space theme.

Bigplanestv will be showcasing the event live so make sure you all turn around, smile and face the trees where the static should be parked if you want to see yourselves on the DVD when it comes out.

So pack your bags, cameras, memory cards, tents, sun cream, brollies, waterproofs, shorts and everything else and have yourself a great RIAT 2019. It will be good. :up:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

JackyRIATWilson

Post by JackyRIATWilson »

harkins wrote:
JackyRIATWilson wrote:Are you doing Mach 3 FRIAT?

I am. Although I don't have my pass yet as Royal Mail lost it and I will now need to pick it up when I arrive at the enclosure, probably Friday. So even that has perhaps contributed to my slight lack of usual enthusiasm.

Then let me word it to you differently. The others have mentioned the aircraft, I'll put it to you differently.

Wednesday morning. The sight that greets you. An airfield under construction. Enthusiasts all wide-eyed and eager to get going. The gates open, the inevitable bag searches are done, the pass is scanned and you're in. You choose your spot, set up and wait. The book keeps you going throughout the day as the aircraft trickle in at intervals. When it's time to head to your base for the week, you won't be feeling as meh about RIAT for sure.

Onto Thursday. The first day in the FRIAT stand. The buzz as you line up outside the gates and then gain access to your home on base for the next 5 days. The familiar scenes of the benches, marquee, catering and the stand itself evoke memories of previous years. You find your seat, plonk yourself on it, and repeat the process from the previous year. The recognisable faces of previous RIATs appear into view, as the aircraft arrive and rehearse. The early exit from FRIAT only means the validations are occurring; East or West, whichever is best, before back to base for a cold beverage or three.

The weekend arrives, and the sights and sounds are now on overload. The car parks quickly begin to fill. Ben, Mark and the team providing an excellent commentary, the general public in throngs and the aroma of every food imaginable permeate the air. The display acts do their thing, you strike up a conversation during the displays with your surrounding enthusiasts and enjoy the spectacle before you. All the marketing issues, for one weekend, temporarily forgotten.

And then, before you know it, Monday arrives. Up early, and soon after 8am, the airfield changes from the bustling aviation metropolis it was, the scene it was on the Wednesday before. Aircraft departed, seat vacated, airfield exited; same time again next year guys?

Hopefully now you're a little more excited. I know I am for sure.

harkins

Post by harkins »

Now you've cheered me up caper.

And Jacky more so perhaps.

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

capercaillie wrote:RAF D-Day Typhoon

Do you know something we don’t? :clown:
Last edited by Tmyers123 on Mon 15 Jul 2019, 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FlankerPhoto

Post by FlankerPhoto »

Whoosh. :tongue:

CJS

Post by CJS »

Nice one Caper, that brightened up my day no end. :worship: :clap:

So much so that I can't even bring myself to moan about Sunday's lineup anymore - it will be what it will be, which will be cracking.

To all those packing their bags tonight - you're at least a day too early.

To all those heading to Fairford later this week - have fun in the [sun / cloud / light drizzle / thick fog] and don't forget the UKAR meetup on Sunday morning - half 9 outside some model tent or other (it's not a real tent, they've bussed it in).

Edit - Tymers, you can't edit in a clown and hope no one noticed :grin:

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

Wonder if the Pdf and Three coloured Arrows have rotated there aircraft much since the 90s, or use the same set frames?

JackyRIATWilson

harkins wrote:Now you've cheered me up caper.

And Jacky more so perhaps.

That's one reason we are here. :up:

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

CJS wrote: Tymers, you can't edit in a clown and hope no one noticed :grin:

It was to try and convey the tongue in cheek manner of my post which I clearly didn’t get across, which seems to have failed. :grin:

CJS

Post by CJS »

Tmyers123 wrote:
CJS wrote: Tymers, you can't edit in a clown and hope no one noticed :grin:

It was to try and convey the tongue in cheek manner of my post which I clearly didn’t get across, which seems to have failed. :grin:

It has, indeed it has :wink: :tongue:

As a matter of interest (and also cos it's about planes at RIAT, so I might get away with it) is there any way of knowing which fighters the BBMF will be bringing along? Keen to see P7350 if she's back flying again this year, but not seen any shots of her out and about so far this season as far as I recall. :love:

FlankerPhoto

Post by FlankerPhoto »

Not until Friday, Chris. :smile:

Unfortunately, P7' hasn't flown this year and therefore, won't be at RIAT.

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Crikey, today's gone, we set sail from the fine north Wales borderlands crack of dawn on Wednesday, and the only prep I've done is charge my camera batteries and print out my packing list. And I'm still working and have a full work day tomorrow. Better get a wiggle on!

See you all there, and that's a reminder for me for Sunday morning Chris. Although, I'll probably need another reminder on Sunday morning!

JackyRIATWilson

Wrexham Mackem wrote:Crikey, today's gone, we set sail from the fine north Wales borderlands crack of dawn on Wednesday, and the only prep I've done is charge my camera batteries and print out my packing list. And I'm still working and have a full work day tomorrow. Better get a wiggle on!

See you all there, and that's a reminder for Sunday morning Chris. Although, I'll probably need another reminder on Sunday morning!

Crack of dawn in Wrexham for myself and TomTwin as well. Have a good one.

FlankerPhoto

Post by FlankerPhoto »

JackyRIATWilson wrote:
Wrexham Mackem wrote:Crikey, today's gone, we set sail from the fine north Wales borderlands crack of dawn on Wednesday, and the only prep I've done is charge my camera batteries and print out my packing list. And I'm still working and have a full work day tomorrow. Better get a wiggle on!

See you all there, and that's a reminder for Sunday morning Chris. Although, I'll probably need another reminder on Sunday morning!

Crack of dawn in Wrexham for myself and TomTwin as well. Have a good one.

Safe trip down chaps. :up: