RIAT 2019

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
Roger_Over

Re: RIAT 2019

Post by Roger_Over »

I can only do Sunday (and Monday now since F-4 announcement thanks to good will of family and work) and yes it isn’t balanced and maybe it irks our sense of fairness but if we see a Mig-21 ripping up the sky I’ll be a very happy bunny.

Fingers crossed for acceptable weather all days, no issues with Extinction Rebellion, and airworthy aircraft. I’m leaving Durham at 0300 on Sunday regardless and expect my inner 10 year old to surface when I smell the jet fuel and hear the engines cycling up, have a great time folks

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Roger_Over wrote:I can only do Sunday (and Monday now since F-4 announcement thanks to good will of family and work) and yes it isn’t balanced and maybe it irks our sense of fairness but if we see a Mig-21 ripping up the sky I’ll be a very happy bunny.

Fingers crossed for acceptable weather all days, no issues with Extinction Rebellion, and airworthy aircraft. I’m leaving Durham at 0300 on Sunday regardless and expect my inner 10 year old to surface when I smell the jet fuel and hear the engines cycling up, have a great time folks

An admirable attitude it must be said!
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

MrNelz

Post by MrNelz »

Long time lurker here but first time poster.

Sadly my buddy has been posted overseas at short notice so I have 1x Weekend ticket available. Open to offers as it's last minute.

AAC Wildcat AH 1 to be either ZZ398 or ZZ393 from 659 Sqn. Tried to get ZZ403 ready to go today but she decided to be a hangar queen.

Looking forward to the show and fingers crossed for the weather!

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

MrNelz wrote:Long time lurker here but first time poster.

Sadly my buddy has been posted overseas at short notice so I have 1x Weekend ticket available. Open to offers as it's last minute.

AAC Wildcat AH 1 to be either ZZ398 or ZZ393 from 659 Sqn. Tried to get ZZ403 ready to go today but she decided to be a hangar queen.

Looking forward to the show and fingers crossed for the weather!

What would hace been cool - Wildcat with invasion stripes.

mafro987daboss

Post by mafro987daboss »

Has the T-346 always been down as Friday and Sunday only? I hope there's a chance it can fill in for the PC9 on the Saturday (not that Saturday needs any filling up) - great aircraft and a very elegant display.

Andyperkins

Post by Andyperkins »

rdchawk wrote:So they're closing the show on Saturday with an aircraft doing a couple of flypasts?? Seems weird.

The twitter posts last week made it sound like they were trying to upgrade it to more of a role demo.

Hog

Post by Hog »

Really hope something else flies on Sunday finishing earlier is not something I expect if i am paying the same as going Saturday.

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Andyperkins wrote:
rdchawk wrote:So they're closing the show on Saturday with an aircraft doing a couple of flypasts?? Seems weird.

The twitter posts last week made it sound like they were trying to upgrade it to more of a role demo.

Will be same as Yeovilton imo :down:

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

Do they do a search of your belongs (bags etc) when you go though the gate/s on entry.

Albion143

Post by Albion143 »

iainpeden wrote:
Albion143 wrote:A few snowflakes got blown off their ladders when one had a play with his throttles, apparently some insurance claims were made and now we all suffer the consequences!!!

That is down right offensive. A good friend of mine who is into his 60s suffered bad cuts and bruises having been blown off his ladder; he also had a prime Canon lens smashed.
He is a well known spotter and model maker, so committed he is always one of the first to renew his FRIAT membership for the following year. He has been spotting for 50 years plus, is a well respected radar techie who has served with the RAF and is involved in maritime radar trials with the Royal Navy. He is also one of the UK experts on Phantoms.

He ain't no "snowflake!"

And if he made no claim fair play to him, he knew the risks!!!

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

IATthenRIAT wrote:Do they do a search of your belongs (bags etc) when you go though the gate/s on entry.

Nope, you're free to bring in anything suspicious.

Messing, they do indeed takes no longer than 5 mins :up:

Andyperkins

Post by Andyperkins »

IATthenRIAT wrote:Do they do a search of your belongs (bags etc) when you go though the gate/s on entry.

Yes.

Go4Long

Post by Go4Long »

Luke28 wrote:
Airshowhammer wrote:Got a feeling the F16 Viper team have something up their sleeve.

'You're going to see a show like you've never seen before'.

Maybe i'm looking too much into it and its just the OTT American build up that they're just referring to not being in the UK since 2005 so not many of the UK public would not have seen it.

Thats definately the OTT American hype.

Technically since the demo will be heavily nerfed to meet your regs it will be a USAF F-16 demo like you've never seen before.

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

Andyperkins wrote:

Yes.

Thanks.

Adie1980

Post by Adie1980 »

lozza wrote:Looking at the Saturday timetable, see the Mig-21, SU-27 and F35 all after 17:00, guess a lot will miss out who leave early to avoid the traffic jams.

Ah well :wave:
Never understand this kind of thinking, it's just as bad as when people start leaving football matches 5 minutes before the end "to beat the traffic".
You're out for the day to see an airshow...... so see the airshow! :dizzy:
Attending Daks over Normandy (Duxford), Yeovilton Air Day 2019, RIAT 2019 & Bournemouth Air Festival 2019

CJS

Post by CJS »

Adie1980 wrote:
lozza wrote:Looking at the Saturday timetable, see the Mig-21, SU-27 and F35 all after 17:00, guess a lot will miss out who leave early to avoid the traffic jams.

Ah well :wave:
Never understand this kind of thinking, it's just as bad as when people start leaving football matches 5 minutes before the end "to beat the traffic".
You're out for the day to see an airshow...... so see the airshow! :dizzy:

Would have thought most will stay for the F-35.
"Forewarned is forearmed"
How do you know I didn't?

captainfurious

Post by captainfurious »

The list of lies sets up for a fabulous looking day. Leaving Bristol at 8.30am. Will I be there for 10.02am?

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

Some nice little extras today: Hungarian Falcon 7, Spanish Citation, Turkish KC-135.

No 2nd Hunter on the list, but there are a few other bits missing, I guess Friday is still a limited arrivals day?

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

Airshowhammer wrote:

i have never had my bag checked at an airshow. RIAT included. normally get waved through. i must have a face you can trust

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

rockfordstone wrote:
Airshowhammer wrote:

i have never had my bag checked at an airshow. RIAT included. normally get waved through. i must have a face you can trust

Have to admit the amount of times I have bag prepped for checking and I just walk through.
Did you hear about the dyslexic pimp? He bought a ware house!
Proud member of the Silverstone Marshalling Team

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

Airshowhammer wrote:Looking at the timetable, aside from the Flanker, Mig and Harriers the Sunday looks very very average.

^^This

I was toying with the idea of going on Sunday as tickets are still available but I'm not paying nearly double the cost of Cosford for something that is only a marginal 'improvement'. Aside from the 3 acts mentioned above (all of which are pretty 'long in the tooth' so could well go 'tech' on the day) it looks more like a seaside show than a RIAT lineup.

After the RAF 100 last year I thought it might be a good point to 'bow out' of attending RIAT and based on that published lineup I feel it may have been the right choice (the right choice for me; other may disagree). It will be interesting to see the feedback from those who go every year - are they still 100% enjoying it or has it just become 'a habit' (a bit like the people who renew their football season ticket even thought their team are garbage and have been for years).

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

speedbird2639 wrote: Aside from the 3 acts mentioned above (all of which are pretty 'long in the tooth' so could well go 'tech' on the day) it looks more like a seaside show than a RIAT lineup.

Does it though?

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

Tmyers123 wrote:
speedbird2639 wrote: Aside from the 3 acts mentioned above (all of which are pretty 'long in the tooth' so could well go 'tech' on the day) it looks more like a seaside show than a RIAT lineup.

Does it though?

That's one hell of a seaside line up. Could you advise where this is happening so I can get tickets?
Did you hear about the dyslexic pimp? He bought a ware house!
Proud member of the Silverstone Marshalling Team

Luke28

Post by Luke28 »

Tmyers123 wrote:

Does it though?

Of course it doesn't, but comparing it to a seaside show is all the fashion of late.

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

Seaside :lol: