RIAT 2019

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
CJS

Re: RIAT 2019

Post by CJS »

FlankerPhoto wrote:
This phenomenon you see is something called “having a friendly conversation”.

It’s something people like you who live under bridges waiting for goats to try and cross cannot comprehend.

Oh, the irony.. :roll:

Yep, well spotted :lol:
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

effects

Post by effects »

davesurrey wrote:
trebleone wrote:
davesurrey wrote:I did P&V East on the Wednesday but want to have the "full experience". So, do you know where the reduced tickets are being advertised?

As far as I'm aware, the £5 discount offer is only being made by email, to those who bought Friday tickets for this year; hence you won't see it advertised.

Thanks trebleone , but I did buy tickets for this year's Friday event but haven't received any email.

I think that £5 discount is a joke, charging full price in the first instance for what is half an airshow is not right. As hardly anything flew on Friday the fuel bill would have been miniscule, I think a 50% discount is what we should be expecting.
Nikon P900 (Sony DSC-HX400V, Sony DSC-HX300 and DSC-H2 retired)

CJS

Post by CJS »

Any kind of discount is a mistake *if* they're offering it due to the weather.

What about other shows when something can't fly due to the conditions? DBH have set a precedent by doing this, I don't really see how they'll manage to justify not offering a similar discount in the future, which makes a mockery of the wording on the back of the ticket.

It's a nice gesture, but can't help but feel it's the wrong one, for the wrong reasons.
Last edited by CJS on Tue 06 Aug 2019, 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

danspuggti

Post by danspuggti »

I'm sure they're not too worried as the 'discount' will be absorbed once they announce the ticket prices and they've gone up again (at guess conveniently by £5) although I agree it will set a precedent for the future should a similar scenario occur.
Same old sh*t.............just happening on a different day!!!

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

CJS wrote:Any kind of discount is a mistake *if* they're offering it due to the weather.

What about other shows when something can't fly due to the conditions? DBH have set a precedent by doing this, I don't really see how they'll manage to justify not offering a similar discount in the future, which makes a mockery of the wording on the back of the ticket.

It's a nice gesture, but can't help but feel it's the wrong one, for the wrong reasons.

It's a gesture and fair play for them making one.

Last time I recall something similar was 2008 when FRIAT were given free access to Farnborough.

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

The £5 discount issue is a perfect example of where DBH can't win. Whatever route they take, certain airshow fans will say they took the wrong decision. My gut reaction is, outside of airshow fandom, the wider family market will appreciate the gesture. Goodwill between the customer and the client has a value of it's own and, in the long run, is worth more than a £5 discount.
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

Rather than having to offer a discount (having already had to offer a credit on merchandise you might want to buy) they should have priced the tickets accordingly in the first place. You get to see 2/3 of the static and about half of the show so tickets somewhere in the region of £30 would have been fair.

Now we've got DBH running in circles around themselves trying to work out how to give the punter value for money without admitting trying to charge full price for half a day was a giant greedy mistake.

All they have to do is issue a statement admitting that they priced the Friday like that in an effort to maximise revenue for the charity but following feedback from customers they are going to look at a pricing structure that better reflects the product offered. But the number of times DBH has positively responded to constructive feedback from customers can be counted on Venus de Milo's fingers and so the charade continues - with them in their ivory tower schmoozing the 'blazers' and us trying to find a part of the showground where the view isn't obstructed by chalets, executive enclosures and clusters of telehandlers.

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

Now, that's the way to turn a negative into a positive speedbird2639! Sadly you don't work for DBH & they seem to ignore 'free advice' from the proletariat with the same disdain shown to any attendee that didn't upgrade to an 'executive package' :mad:

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Very smart.

Before RIAT 2019, the Friday was a lot cheaper. If anything the £5 discount is not a good will offer at all but more a case of reverting back to cheaper ticket prices (they won't make a loss as they'd still make the same amount as they would have in 2018) and marketing it as discount (putting a plaster on a shattered window).

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

"can be counted on Venus de Milo's fingers"

brilliant line
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

st24

Post by st24 »

Have been trying to find actual public footfall for the 3 days. Okay, Saturday sold out but that's a given these days, Friday didn't, and really didn't deserve to and they were still selling tickets for Sunday up until the lunchtime so again, didn't sell out. Anyone know-be interesting how this compares to previous years and income generated and certainly compared in real terms with the pre-advance ticket days...
You caaan't trust the system... Maaan!

Adie1980

Post by Adie1980 »

Airshowhammer wrote:Very smart.

Before RIAT 2019, the Friday was a lot cheaper. If anything the £5 discount is not a good will offer at all but more a case of reverting back to cheaper ticket prices (they won't make a loss as they'd still make the same amount as they would have in 2018) and marketing it as discount (putting a plaster on a shattered window).

*Before RIAT 2018*

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

Adie1980 wrote:

*Before RIAT 2018*

i'd argue RIAT 18 was different as it was a full display day as such was the same. this year reverted back to a shorter display, 3rd of the showground closed but still sold as the same price as a full day

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Adie1980 wrote:

*Before RIAT 2018*

Yeah I make you right, but 2018 was actual value for money as we got a full show. They can justify charging that.

Adie1980

Post by Adie1980 »

Airshowhammer wrote:
Adie1980 wrote:

*Before RIAT 2018*

Yeah I make you right, but 2018 was actual value for money as we got a full show. They can justify charging that.

Agreed!

JackyRIATWilson

Post by JackyRIATWilson »

CJS wrote:
FlankerPhoto wrote:

It’s something people like you who live under bridges waiting for goats to try and cross cannot comprehend.

Are you saying TomTwin is a troll? Because if you think that, you've got completely the wrong end of the stick. Badly.

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

JackyRIATWilson wrote:
CJS wrote:
FlankerPhoto wrote:

Are you saying TomTwin is a troll? Because if you think that, you've got completely the wrong end of the stick. Badly.

Give it a rest
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Cleaned up. Grow up children, literal or otherwise, especially after a mod has told you to stop. Warnings issued
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

JackyRIATWilson

Wissam24 wrote:Cleaned up. Grow up children, literal or otherwise, especially after a mod has told you to stop. Warnings issued

Can yourself or Domvickery PM myself please.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Cynics would say that the £5 discount is a pretty good ploy by DBH, as it could encourage this year's Friday-goers to do next year's Friday as well.

The one problem the may find is that they've now set a precedent ( 2008 doesn't count as that was a complete cancellation ) so what happens in future when the flying display is disrupted due to bad weather?
You can put your money on it that people will be expecting discounts / partial refunds & berating DBH if they don't get them.

It's not the first time weather has disrupted the displays.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

JackyRIATWilson

Brevet Cable wrote:Cynics would say that the £5 discount is a pretty good ploy by DBH, as it could encourage this year's Friday-goers to do next year's Friday as well.

The one problem the may find is that they've now set a precedent ( 2008 doesn't count as that was a complete cancellation ) so what happens in future when the flying display is disrupted due to bad weather?
You can put your money on it that people will be expecting discounts / partial refunds & berating DBH if they don't get them.

Yes, and where do you draw the line on how many displays were affected = how much of a refund would be made?

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

JackyRIATWilson wrote:
Brevet Cable wrote:Cynics would say that the £5 discount is a pretty good ploy by DBH, as it could encourage this year's Friday-goers to do next year's Friday as well.

You can put your money on it that people will be expecting discounts / partial refunds & berating DBH if they don't get them.und

Yes, and where do you draw the line on how many displays were affected = how much of a refund would be made?

I think the whole thing regarding a token £5 refund is frankly stupid, for the monetary amount it could have been just £1, I dont think a refund like that is the right response regarding the Friday, it would be far better and (the right thing) if they simply halved the ticket price for the Friday compared to sat and sun, no if's or but's no excuses DBH just do it - its that simple.
Also DBH please stop treating fare paying public like children with the different comments regarding the show.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

JackyRIATWilson wrote:
Wissam24 wrote:Cleaned up. Grow up children, literal or otherwise, especially after a mod has told you to stop. Warnings issued

No?

JackyRIATWilson

Wissam24 wrote:
JackyRIATWilson wrote:

No?

Why not? :question:

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

JackyRIATWilson wrote:
Wissam24 wrote:
JackyRIATWilson wrote:

No?

Why not? :question:

Because neither of us have any reason to PM you.