RIAT 2019

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Re: RIAT 2019

Post by Tommy »

capercaillie wrote:Not sure why all the negativity towards the tails

In this thread so far, there’s, what, five users who have made a negative comment(s) towards them? And six users making positive comments towards them, so “all the negativity” isn’t correct, it seems to me.

And most of those saying they aren’t a fan have tempered their criticism with commendations on the spirit and effort made to paint them at least.

People are allowed to not like things.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Tommy wrote:

In this thread so far, there’s, what, five users who have made a negative comment(s) towards them? And six users making positive comments towards them, so “all the negativity” isn’t correct, it seems to me.

And most of those saying they aren’t a fan have tempered their criticism with commendations on the spirit and effort made to paint them at least.

You could be in politics Tom, as when I made my comment five negative and three positive comments/reactions were made, so "all the negativity" at 62.5% was apt in this democratic country of ours.

People are also allowed to like things. :wink:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Mr. Crusher

Post by Mr. Crusher »

capercaillie wrote:We are already aware of the Polish Navy planning to send a Bryza, hopefully the air force can also contribute preferably with MiGs and Sukhois, even if only statics of NATO flypast elements.

Migs are still grounded, today we got a news that Su-22 must also stop flying, there is no information for how long :sad: Team Orlik and Iskry have already released their schedules, so if Polish Air Force sends something to RIAT, it will probably be F-16.

ikarus

Post by ikarus »

"You pay your money and take your choice "

Tickets bought , hotel booked , line up not bad - but down on numbers , I'll still be going as no other
options in my area of the country to see any great variety of this calibre at any other venue.

Personally - fingers crossed for something from the far east turning up again , existing support from the foreign
nations so far not that bad given things going on around the globe :clap:

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Mr. Crusher wrote:
capercaillie wrote:We are already aware of the Polish Navy planning to send a Bryza, hopefully the air force can also contribute preferably with MiGs and Sukhois, even if only statics of NATO flypast elements.

Migs are still grounded, today we got a news that Su-22 must also stop flying, there is no information for how long :sad: Team Orlik and Iskry have already released their schedules, so if Polish Air Force sends something to RIAT, it will probably be F-16.

That's very sad news indeed. Will have to be their Embraer 175 and some M-346s then. :dunno:

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

I can't say i'm gutted as it isn't unexpected - but I was really hoping for a Mig or Sukhoi from Poland.

Oh well!

Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon »

Well according to the Polish Air Force Facebook page......

Translation below....

We are pleased to announce that f16 tiger demo team has another certified pilot pilot.
It's captain. Pil. Wojciech 'Ramrod' Kieczur.

So does this mean there are now two separate F-16 teams? maybe replacing the MiG/ Sukhoi Demos? Here's hoping..

Mr. Crusher

Post by Mr. Crusher »

No, there is still one demo team that has two demo pilots

Red Dragon

Post by Red Dragon »

Mr. Crusher wrote:No, there is still one demo team that has two demo pilots

:up:

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

I genuinely feel bad about saying this - but I have an active (and not deliberate) disinterest in the Polish F-16... When you've had an air arm displaying, in living memory, MiG-21s, Mig-29s, Su-22s and so on - an F-16 seems almost offensive as a replacement...

Sorry!

CJS

Post by CJS »

MiG_Eater wrote:I genuinely feel bad about saying this - but I have an active (and not deliberate) disinterest in the Polish F-16... When you've had an air arm displaying, in living memory, MiG-21s, Mig-29s, Su-22s and so on - an F-16 seems almost offensive as a replacement...

Sorry!

But in living memory the USAF have displayed the B-1b, F-117, SR-71 and we don't baulk at the inclusion of their F-16 display; the RAF have displayed the Harrier and Tornado in the last ten years or so, but we're still happy enough with the Typhoon now (or maybe we're not, I dunno).

It may be a sad fact, but it's a fact nonetheless, that airforces update and change their aircraft - as much as we'd love them to, I don't expect that airshow enthusiasts feature too highly up their list of requirements :grin:
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

MiG_Eater wrote:I genuinely feel bad about saying this - but I have an active (and not deliberate) disinterest in the Polish F-16... When you've had an air arm displaying, in living memory, MiG-21s, Mig-29s, Su-22s and so on - an F-16 seems almost offensive as a replacement...

Sorry!

I've never seen Polish MiG21s but how do you think we feel about Czech Gripens when you look at what they initially brought to western shows in the early nineties all in glorious brown and green camos or silver in some cases. :sad: But those days are gone and you have to make the most of what is still on offer.

You have to remember MiG29s have been displayed at IAT/RIAT by seven nations over the years, with realistically only two now likely to appear unless the Ukrainians can stage through (Fencers first please), MiG21s appeared from four nations with again only one likely to appear now and possibly on the last chance saloon. The poor old MiG23 only appeared in 1991 and 1997, thankfully displaying at the latter in almost constant reheat. The MiG days are truly numbered I fear.

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

All of this is true - and I was just as offended by the Czech and Hungarian Gripens at first - I guess I got over it, but a Gripen is at least a little bit more interesting than the ubiquitous Viper.

Oh well... F-16s will be extraordinarily exciting in the not-too-distant future with the advent of the F-35!

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

MiG_Eater wrote: but a Gripen is at least a little bit more interesting than the ubiquitous Viper.

Mmmmmm, I'll leave my opinion to differ on that, at least we've got some different schemes about on F-16s and they're far better looking. :handbag:

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

I think we should be getting a nice looking Gripen at Cosford this weekend! And at least the Hungarians have proper bort numbers (albeit in grey)!

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

What do folk think will happen/where they will be parked - the static aircraft due to be also used in the flypast on fri/sat, do we think they will be parked in the red zone closest to the display south parking area, how will they get around moving them off and back into the static line with all the public in the way - sounds like a complex thing to do.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

capercaillie wrote:
Tommy wrote:

You could be in politics Tom, as when I made my comment five negative and three positive comments/reactions were made, so "all the negativity" at 62.5% was apt in this democratic country of ours.

Well no-one who was saying “doesn’t do it for me” was saying “I don’t get all this positivity”, but yeah, fair comment, Mr C.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

capercaillie wrote:
Tommy wrote:

Well no-one who was saying “doesn’t do it for me” was saying “I don’t get all this positivity”, but yeah, fair comment, Mr C.

bobby 1211

Post by bobby 1211 »

jason82wells

Post by jason82wells »

IATthenRIAT wrote:What do folk think will happen/where they will be parked - the static aircraft due to be also used in the flypast on fri/sat, do we think they will be parked in the red zone closest to the display south parking area, how will they get around moving them off and back into the static line with all the public in the way - sounds like a complex thing to do.

If they use the pit area then no one needs to move. They've also got the option of using the west since the static park is hardly bulging.

And as they've gone from S to F on the attendance list they may go north side, though this wouldn't prove the best option to ticket holders.

Go4Long

Post by Go4Long »

For those complaining about the "high" cost of RIAT...MAKS released their ticket prices over the last few days. For one day pass for their "Elevated Media Platform" it's 11'000 Rubles...or about 133 Pound Stirling.

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

How dare all these air arms replace ageing, less capable machines with more modern aircraft, do they not realise it makes for a very dull spectacle for enthusiasts at airshows?

Go4Long

Post by Go4Long »

UKTopgun wrote:How dare all these air arms replace ageing, less capable machines with more modern aircraft, do they not realise it makes for a very dull spectacle for enthusiasts at airshows?

:yahoo: I like you. :yahoo:

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

jason82wells wrote:
IATthenRIAT wrote:What do folk think will happen/where they will be parked - the static aircraft due to be also used in the flypast on fri/sat, do we think they will be parked in the red zone closest to the display south parking area, how will they get around moving them off and back into the static line with all the public in the way - sounds like a complex thing to do.

If they use the pit area then no one needs to move. They've also got the option of using the west since the static park is hardly bulging.

And as they've gone from S to F on the attendance list they may go north side, though this wouldn't prove the best option to ticket holders.

Yes but the thing is - they are marked as static and I assume as they have not said other wise - static means for the the whole show duration, they can not be in tow places at the same time, and I dont see how they could be ligned up on the south side flight line and still be called static.

JJC

Post by JJC »

IATthenRIAT wrote:
jason82wells wrote:

Yes but the thing is - they are marked as static and I assume as they have not said other wise - static means for the the whole show duration, they can not be in tow places at the same time, and I dont see how they could be ligned up on the south side flight line and still be called static.

The Belgian F-16s originally due for static have now been removed and instead added as flying under the ‘NATO flypast’ section, as have 2 of the German Typhoons so it seems that these aircraft will no longer be on static display in the showground. Having said that, in the past few years, display aircraft have operated from the ‘pit zone’ area (eg. Reds, Frecce, F-22, Thunderbirds) and have effectively been on static display/easy to view from the showground area when parked up before and after their displays. These aircraft haven’t, however, ever been marked ‘S’ for static display on the official list.

Additionally, static aircraft have been pulled from the show ground overnight for departure/display (Eg. Embrace KC-390 and the Belgian ‘Dark Falcon’ F-16 last year). It’s a fluid process.

Hopefully, given the NATO 70 theme, DBH will capitalise on this presence and the flypast items can operate from the pit zone area where they can also be viewed on the ground throughout the weekend. This is entirely dependent on the flypast items operating from Fairford, which isn’t a certainty at this stage (I don’t think).

I suspect we might get the Reds parked up there again though, considering how much of the marketing has been devoted to this being their last display before the US tour.
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''