RIAT 2019

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
davesurrey

Re: RIAT 2019

Post by davesurrey »

I did P&V East on the Wednesday but want to have the "full experience". So, do you know where the reduced tickets are being advertised?

Luigi

Post by Luigi »

ikarus wrote:JJC and Rockford , I have the same feeling. End of the week , only used one memory card for photos at RIAT and that's only at below 25% capacity of the card.

Not buzzing this year post event and to be honest the number of photo threads in the airshow section of this forum on the event seems to be well down on quantity this year - that also indicates something in my opinion :sad:

I can understand it. despite remaining of my opinion (that is RIAt it's still far the best air show in europe focused on military and not on sales or general aviation), one has just to see the quality of the flight display to understand that this year was not really the best year.

But it just needed a couple of aircraft more, that were present until 2015, to be at its optimum.
Of course we can not have a/c which were usual presences in the 90es (F-104 of the F-4 or the jaguar for instance)
If next year the quality of the show is still lower I will also begin to think seriously not to go in the future.
By now I can only say that even my wife, who has nothing to do with aircraft , liked the show so much that she wants to go even next year. But we've also been lucky cause Sa was already better than Su in the program, but additionally we got the M346 which was foreseen on Su instead.

As already said above, some years are maybe worse than others: this year the USAF situation was not the best (B-1 almost not serviceable), France had to celebrate the revolution and this caused some important absences.

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

Luigi wrote:Of course we can not have a/c which were usual presences in the 90es (F-104 of the F-4 or the jaguar for instance)

There were two Phantoms at RIAT this year. :biggrin:

FlankerPhoto

Post by FlankerPhoto »

I'd say the chances of an Indian Jaguar attending are slim to non existent, unfortunately.

Norwegian CF-104 is a possibility, if/when the ongoing issues are resolved.

Luigi

Post by Luigi »

Tmyers123 wrote:
Luigi wrote:Of course we can not have a/c which were usual presences in the 90es (F-104 of the F-4 or the jaguar for instance)

Indeed but not flying (except when they landed and left). they were only on static. I really hope to see one f-4 in the air next year. I would pay a double ticket for that!

I can not stay 4 or 5 days at the airport only to see a take off and a landing

:sad:

mark_aviation

Post by mark_aviation »

Luigi wrote:
Tmyers123 wrote:

Indeed but not flying (except when they landed and left). they were only on static. I really hope to see one f-4 in the air next year. I would pay a double ticket for that!

I can not stay 4 or 5 days at the airport only to see a take off and a landing

:sad:

You could have paid ‘double’ to see an F-4 fly this year on Arrivals and Departure days. :dunno:

Andyperkins

Post by Andyperkins »

davesurrey wrote:I did P&V East on the Wednesday but want to have the "full experience". So, do you know where the reduced tickets are being advertised?

Taken from the email...

Recognising that we are an airshow and many of the aircraft just couldn't display, to acknowledge this, we will be offering you a £5 discount on Friday tickets for RIAT 2020 when they go on sale in the autumn. We will let you know how to claim this discount nearer to the on-sale date.

harkins

Post by harkins »

But didn’t he say he could not be there for the five days necessary to see arrival and departure? And I was there and saw both but really I saw some taxiing at the west end and the arse end of a take off from the FRIAT stand, so not an awful lot of flying from the F-4s. Personally I just can’t see it happening but if the Greeks or Turks could produce a display next year (and who saw a Harrier pair coming this year?) then that would be incredible. Arrival, departure and three displays and maybe a validation and or rehearsal thrown in!

TomTwin

Post by TomTwin »

harkins wrote:But didn’t he say he could not be there for the five days necessary to see arrival and departure? And I was there and saw both but really I saw some taxiing at the west end and the arse end of a take off from the FRIAT stand, so not an awful lot of flying from the F-4s. Personally I just can’t see it happening but if the Greeks or Turks could produce a display next year (and who saw a Harrier pair coming this year?) then that would be incredible. Arrival, departure and three displays and maybe a validation and or rehearsal thrown in!

Can’t see it happening myself. Just be grateful if one turns up for static.

trebleone
UKAR Supporter

Post by trebleone »

davesurrey wrote:I did P&V East on the Wednesday but want to have the "full experience". So, do you know where the reduced tickets are being advertised?

As far as I'm aware, the £5 discount offer is only being made by email, to those who bought Friday tickets for this year; hence you won't see it advertised.

JJC

Post by JJC »

TomTwin wrote:
harkins wrote:But didn’t he say he could not be there for the five days necessary to see arrival and departure? And I was there and saw both but really I saw some taxiing at the west end and the arse end of a take off from the FRIAT stand, so not an awful lot of flying from the F-4s. Personally I just can’t see it happening but if the Greeks or Turks could produce a display next year (and who saw a Harrier pair coming this year?) then that would be incredible. Arrival, departure and three displays and maybe a validation and or rehearsal thrown in!

Can’t see it happening myself. Just be grateful if one turns up for static.

And what’s wrong with discussing the potential for it?

The problem with this forum recently is that airshow-related discussion and debate (the entire point of the forums) is being shut down at every turn by the ‘Be gRAtEful fOR WhAt YoU gET’ crowd.

I can’t understand. Just be grateful if RIAT gets the Reds/Blades/BBMF and Typhoon and calls it a day next year, right?
Last edited by JJC on Mon 29 Jul 2019, 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''

spellow3010

Post by spellow3010 »

Friday as a school day...

I would imagine for most kids (some already broken up by RIAT Friday, especially this late into July as 2019 show day) that this would have been the last day of term... It was for my daughter. Would imagine that (weather aside for this year), RIAT would have been quite entertaining for a lot of kids, actually getting out and about rather than sat in the classroom having a final day doss with board games and Star Wars action figures (always loved the last couple of days of term back in the day). :up: :smile:

Point being, the last day of term (unless you have a leavers ceremony or something) is akin to false imprisonment really. :wink:
Now officially qualifies as a 'regular' at Famous Dave's - El Centro

Luigi

Post by Luigi »

mark_aviation wrote:
You could have paid ‘double’ to see an F-4 fly this year on Arrivals and Departure days. :dunno:

it's true. When I was a student I use to go for 4 days Fr to Mo and watch it all. But now it is not anymore feasible. In my opinion the show should give the possibility to see all aircraft during 1 day.
I mean: arrivals and departures are to me not part of the show, as well as training on Fr.
Of course if I had the possibility to be there when aircraft arrive I would enjoy it, but I travel from abroad and I can attend RIAT only one of the 2 WE days. So no arrivals or departures. And further, a full aircraft display is something else than just a landing or TO.

Luigi

Post by Luigi »

JJC wrote:...

The problem with this forum recently is that airshow-related discussion and debate (the entire point of the forums) is being shut down at every turn by the ‘Be gRAtEful fOR WhAt YoU gET’ crowd.

Sorry this was not my intention. I am simply aware that air forces are under massive budget pressure these days and therefore that it's not easy to obtain a massive participation as in the past (at least compared to the years I've attended the show). My comment wanted just to point out that, despite this issue, this year was not so bad.

then it can always be improved: if I begin to write down all I'd like to see, I'll need a book and 3 airports to house the planes.

davesurrey

Post by davesurrey »

trebleone wrote:

As far as I'm aware, the £5 discount offer is only being made by email, to those who bought Friday tickets for this year; hence you won't see it advertised.

Thanks trebleone , but I did buy tickets for this year's Friday event but haven't received any email.

JJC

Post by JJC »

Luigi wrote:
JJC wrote:...

Sorry this was not my intention. I am simply aware that air forces are under massive budget pressure these days and therefore that it's not easy to obtain a massive participation as in the past (at least compared to the years I've attended the show). My comment wanted just to point out that, despite this issue, this year was not so bad.

then it can always be improved: if I begin to write down all I'd like to see, I'll need a book and 3 airports to house the planes.

I have no problem with what you’re saying Luigi, in fact I’m supporting your viewpoint. It is good to ask questions, debate and discuss these things.

As we are all enthusiasts, I suspect we all have lengthy wish lists and rightly so!

As Harkins pointed out, who’d have thought we’d get a pair of Spanish Harriers this year? One would’ve seemed unlikely, but 2 would’ve been scoffed at.
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''

Andyperkins

Post by Andyperkins »

davesurrey wrote:
trebleone wrote:

Thanks trebleone , but I did buy tickets for this year's Friday event but haven't received any email.

Did you miss my post?

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

If you really, absolutely, desperately want to see a particular aircraft flying, you have to go to it, you can't complain when it doesn't come and do a display in another country. It's entitlement. Go to Athens Flying Week if you want to see a Phantom fly and turn your nose up at doing arrivals and departures.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

Defiance

Post by Defiance »

Wissam24 wrote:If you really, absolutely, desperately want to see a particular aircraft flying, you have to go to it, you can't complain when it doesn't come and do a display in another country. It's entitlement. Go to Athens Flying Week if you want to see a Phantom fly and turn your nose up at doing arrivals and departures.

100% agreed.

I'm very keen to see Su-57/J-20 but i'm not going to complain about them not being in the UK, i'm going to have to save up the cash to go see them in their natural habitat.

I appreciate it's a bit different to the F-4, but hell, think how many people make the effort to come to the UK for RIAT, going abroad to see aircraft isn't a new thing.

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Only now getting the chance to post my thoughts on this year's RIAT and I have to say I thought it was excellent. Attending all six days is, in my view, the only way to do the show properly - and i'm so glad I did this year. Wednesday was a really enjoyable day, but Thursday was as good a day at an airfield as I can remember. MiGs, Sukhois, Phantoms - and the rest - just an amazing day.

Friday was, indeed, a washout but I was amazed they got as much flying as they did. The A400M display flitting in and out of cloud was really quite incredible, and it was brilliant to see the Harrier in the air.

Saturday was a staggeringly good day with a huge variety of interesting set pieces (Reds/PdF Concordes, BA747, Belgian F-16s. NATO Flypast etc.) I honestly believe that had RIAT been able to stage this display on Sunday as well this year's airshow could rightly be described as a classic RIAT, but alas it wasn't to be. Nevertheless, Sunday was still a brilliant airshow with outstanding displays by the Harriers, Flanker, Fishbed (ok... LanceR), Hornets, and C-27 to name a few.

A real shame the Frecce are no longer able to do their amazing crossing manoeuvre, but as has been said, that's nothing to do with RIAT. The less said about the Blades, the better, a total non-fit for RIAT. I spent much of the Sunday display visiting the static - the highlight being climbing up into the Romanian MiG, so it was another really enjoyable day.

I get quite defensive about RIAT - I have attended every single one (*note the 'R') and I have seen the show wax and wane as defence cuts bite and aircraft come in and out of service. I do genuinely feel the show has been extremely good over the past few years. After RIAT I often feel a desperation to visit more 'old style' military airshows - of which the only UK competitor would be Yeovilton. Looking at European shows there is just nothing that compares to RIAT - I am considering going to Sanicole, and if I do i'm sure i'll enjoy it - but it is absolutely tiny in comparison to RIAT. The way people on these forums complain about RIAT one would expect there to be good alternatives about, but - quite simply - there aren't.

Although I am not encouraging the happy-clappy behaviour that some on these forums abhor, it genuinely worries me when I see people complaining about RIAT's participation - in a year when we have seen a huge number of fast jets, extremely rare static items, unique set pieces and some amazing gems in the flying. DBH and the volunteers must sometimes read these forums and think "Why do we bother?" I love RIAT, and I just hope it continues. If any volunteers are reading this - (and forgive the sycophancy) - genuinely, thanks for the best week of my year - every year.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Don't know if it's been mentioned on here yet, but did the planned satellite photo-shoot of the showground on the Friday actually happen, or was it another victim of the weather?
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

FlankerPhoto

Post by FlankerPhoto »

Happened on Thursday instead, I believe..

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

:up:
Unless it's on their twitter/facebook feed I couldn't see any mention of it on the RIAT website
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

Spotty_Jag

Post by Spotty_Jag »

https://www.airtattoo.com/airshow/visiting/space-at-the-air-tattoo/air-tattoo-from-space
Given the weather on the Friday, I'm sure the Satellite Image will just me a white blob of cloud. But there are images from earlier than week and the week prior.

Habu

Post by Habu »

Brevet Cable wrote:Don't know if it's been mentioned on here yet, but did the planned satellite photo-shoot of the showground on the Friday actually happen, or was it another victim of the weather?

Yes Brevet , they took a contingency image on Thursday at approx 11am. I don't know how to paste a link yet , but you can copy the following into your browser maybe : https://we.tl/t-rTXJwLypnT
Hope it works.
I don't know what the maximum res of the original image was , but am going to see if I can get something higher quality from Airbus themselves ; might take a while.