RIAT 2019

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
UK Airshow Review
UKAR Staff

Re: RIAT 2019

Post by UK Airshow Review »

• "Blades Slap" - Sam Wise reports from a moist and sticky RAF Fairford for UK Airshow Review.

Image Image Image

harkins

Post by harkins »

Superb write up Sam and I think it really reflects the views of the core of enthusists. Sadly I hold no hope that they'll read and digest it and take any heed. And any of the super loyal accept no criticism RIATers who try to say 'entitled enthusist' or one of their other stock retorts will hand on heart know that they can't honestly argue with your review.

Berf

Post by Berf »

You missed the bit when the woman commentator, when waffling about space, hijacked a well known phrase and said ..... it is one giant leap for humankind..... no doubt written by the PC comms people

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

It is a good write up, and it's hard to argue with many of the points - particularly the excellent point regarding the Harrier at Farnborough.

However, ultimately I feel that RIAT got all of the really important stuff right this year. The aircraft participation was stellar and the flying was superb. I really loved every minute of it. It's a case of different strokes for different folks and clearly there were a lot of enthusiasts who feel the same as Sam on this. I just wasn't one of them.

I guess my only fear is that DBH will sit there and be thinking 'OK we got the MiGs, we got the Harriers, we got the Phantoms, we got the Flankers, we got the BUFF, and they're still not happy - maybe let's "Well, there's no need for that" the enthusiasts and just get a bigger Ferris Wheel and a couple of Pitts Specials next year'.

mark_aviation

Post by mark_aviation »

One of the highlights this year (well at least mine :grin: ) I surprisingly haven’t seen mentioned by anyone on here. On the Friday during one of the torrential downpours, there was a ‘car park announcement’ which went like:

“Could the owner of the Vauxhall Astra registration AB63 CDE please return to their car. You have left your windows open”

This was very quickly followed by a audible groan/ laugh from the showground which we even picked up on the radio at the campsite :lmao: A highlight for myself, but what a miserable day that person must have had :lol:

BrawlerO

Post by BrawlerO »

Great review! Ultimately though the ‘enthusiasts’ probably only counts for less than 5% of attendees and I only see things going in one direction. More tat and ferris wheels for the public, more Corp hospitality for the commercial partners. Hope I am proved wrong next time I attend.

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Really hit some home truths. Really enjoyed that review and highlights everything wrong with the show.

Habu

Post by Habu »

Did anyone else discover the QinetiQ tracking radar ?. They had one on display near the 'Techno zone' , and on chatting with their representative was told they had another on the airfield , monitoring the displays with a feed to a laptop on their stand inside said techno zone. On visiting the stand and asking about the feed I was met with confusion until one of the staff found the stored laptop and opened it up. Pretty interesting stuff with a real time 3D radar map showing positioning of the aircraft ( at that point A-400) with superimposed display box , prohibited airspace etc and also inset hi-res optical video tracking the aircraft beautifully. Apparently this tech is used at RIAT as a kind of 'goal line technology' to ensure conformity with display guidelines . Interesting stuff and a shame that it was hidden away as it could have at least been hooked up to a big screen on their stand at least .
Sorry this was a bit long-winded .

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

BrawlerO wrote:Great review! Ultimately though the ‘enthusiasts’ probably only counts for less than 5% of attendees and I only see things going in one direction. More tat and ferris wheels for the public, more Corp hospitality for the commercial partners. Hope I am proved wrong next time I attend.

This is what I fear. In terms of a pure aviation experience RIAT should be second to none (maybe Oshkosh or MAKS I guess) but I find that Belgium, in particular puts more effort in for the enthusiast. It would be a huge shame if RIAT goes in a Farnborough direction.

tankbuster

Post by tankbuster »

While I understand many of the gripes in the review it isn't what I call an airshow review. Instead it seems to be a critique of management practices. An airshow review for me should be 95% a review of the flying display and the static participation. I was one of the lucky ones with a Saturday ticket but I thought the display was superb as good as any in recent years. The static was a bit lacking in stars and I agree that layout leaves something to be desired but that has been the case since the invention of the blue cone. IMHO a full review should expand upon that and not concern itself with publicity material spelling mistakes from April.
Trevor C
recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

tankbuster wrote: An airshow review for me should be 95% a review of the flying display and the static participation.

Disagree. Found that out writing my own reviews and reading others, both here and on other sites. It just descended into a “X flew, Y flew great display by Z. A welcome return but A, usual good stuff from B, interesting special tail on C.”

It needs to be more to be engaging. Otherwise it’s pretty much a participation list reiterated with usual tropes. If that was the RIAT review, it wouldn’t have stimulated discussion as it has.

It’s a review of the Airshow, and I think some of the incompetence this year needs to be called out. It is doing a disservice to both ourselves and RIAT to let things like sloppy PR, ridiculously greedy full-price Friday tickets go without mention.

UKAR is always honest and unafraid to pull punches when it needs to. We’ll very *very* happily praise a show when it gets things right (see, say, RIAT 2012, 14, 15, 16, 17 reviews) and we must not hold back out opinions when we feel like things have not run smoothly (see 2011, 2013, and now 2019 reviews).

DBH should know that, good or bad, they can look to UKAR to be frank with their views. They’ve been happy to take the praise of our “good” reviews, and now they should have a good long read of this one. It also makes the praise much more material, rather than “another amazing show” reviews that are churned out each year, regardless of what happens.

Companies in other sectors would pay £££s for this kind of marketing that DBH get for free. Where instinct says a response to negativity is “bah, moaners!”, maturity should say “hmm. I might not agree with it all, but let’s have a look at those areas for next year.”

To DBH’s credit, they usually have.

Jonnym

Post by Jonnym »

The review pretty much nails my thoughts on the show. The saturday was a superb day of flying and was amomgst the best single days of airshows I've ever had. It's just other bits - easy bits - that were frustrating... and the static being the biggest frustration. It felt smaller than in recent years so why everything was packed in tight is beyond me.

There's no shortage of people taking pictures of the static so this isn't an enthusiasts thing... When a smaller space like Cosford continue to get it right for static year after year, I'd like to know what DBH's rationale is behind penning the star static items in so tight.

JackyRIATWilson

Post by JackyRIATWilson »

UK Airshow Review wrote:
  • "Blades Slap" - Sam Wise reports from a moist and sticky RAF Fairford for UK Airshow Review.

Image Image Image

This was an excellent review that was absolutely not pulling any punches. Which is how it should be.

I absolutely agree with the points regarding the Blades; the flypast was not the highlight of the summer (nor was the NATO flypast in all honesty, grey aircraft on a grey sky did not do it justice, plus the Luftwaffe Eurofighter looked out of place on it's own after the cancellation of the Luftwaffe Tornado after it went tech, would have had it join the RAF Typhoons). As well, I particularly agree regarding the static area; I have already seen somebody apparently disagree "correctly" that the static park was full; it frankly was not, and the placement of the Dannebrog F-16, Camo F-16, Flanker and Richthofen Eurofighter in front of the toilets was abysmal. Camouflage nets and tents needed please RIAT.

I have already seen Tommy take some stick from a die-hard RIAT supporter (may even be a volunteer) on Twitter. Not justified stick at all, seemed to take a swipe just because Tommy made valid points. I have your back, you were absolutely right and there was no excuse for him to knock you like that.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Did I? I had a polite disagreement with someone that ended well and morphed into an interesting discussion about RIAT. I don't want anything to be made more than it is - 'twas not really noteworthy in any way.

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

JackyRIATWilson wrote:I have already seen Tommy take some stick from a die-hard RIAT supporter (may even be a volunteer) on Twitter. Not justified stick at all, seemed to take a swipe just because Tommy made valid points. I have your back, you were absolutely right and there was no excuse for him to knock you like that.

:lmao: :lmao:

JackyRIATWilson

Post by JackyRIATWilson »

Tommy wrote:Did I? I had a polite disagreement with someone that ended well and morphed into an interesting discussion about RIAT. I don't want anything to be made more than it is - 'twas not really noteworthy in any way.

Their attitude came across as completely inappropriate to me, but glad this was resolved.

spellow3010

Post by spellow3010 »

Interesting review and I generally agree with many of the comments. However, I do think the reviewer should caveat some of his comments relating to The Blades with an 'in my opinion' rider. I do not believe the comparison between the Jordanians and The Blades reflects reality in all honesty, and referring to them as 'guff' - I would have expected better from a review. But that's me. They are Civilian, probably benefit from a much smaller venue (as would the Jordanians in truth), but they put on a decent display. 'Guff' they most certainly were not.

I also raised my eyebrows with the reference to a 'staggeringly dull' US Viper display. Come on, that take off is amazing... and that dedication pass at the end is as sustained a 'fluffy topside' as you're ever going to need of a grey jet. It's not Belgian quality, but I would never call it 'staggeringly dull...' :dunno:

The review reflects a lot of home truths, and fair play to Sam for taking the time to provide the review. Broadly in agreement with it. :up:
Now officially qualifies as a 'regular' at Famous Dave's - El Centro

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

"Taken as a whole, though, and RIAT was lacking the soul that the show should have, too many corporate-driven lines and meaningless aspects taking precedence over producing a quality public airshow."

that pretty much summed this year up for me. the weather can't be helped, what air arms decide to send and what ultimately ends up there is outside of DBH's control. A lot of the other key aspects however are not. the pre show marketing an announcements being the key one. who decided the day that Yeovilton announce a rare C-130 display that they should release an updated about a Ferris wheel? no doubt it was pre planned, but a bit of thought would have quickly realised it would not be well recieved.

it felt so corporate this year too much "don't forget you can get your planes TV DVD!" or "remember you can got to the blades home base and fly with them" etc.

i also felt some of the stands need reviewing as there were as charitable as i am, being acosted by the guys at guide dogs for the blind stand is not something i go to an air show for.

I think there were a lot of good things to celebrate there and it was enjoyable, but as the customer (and we do spend a lot) its reasonable to have concerns about the show.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

rockfordstone wrote:" who decided the day that Yeovilton announce a rare C-130 display that they should release an updated about a Ferris wheel? no doubt it was pre planned, but a bit of thought would have quickly realised it would not be well recieved.

I think far too much is being made of a dull grey soulless modern C-130J that gave a couple of flypasts at Yeovilton. Total yawnsville. RIAT had a Canadian C-130 flying in 1998 and it was hardly noticed. Yeovilton had many star attractions and that wasn't one of them.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

capercaillie wrote:
rockfordstone wrote:" who decided the day that Yeovilton announce a rare C-130 display that they should release an updated about a Ferris wheel? no doubt it was pre planned, but a bit of thought would have quickly realised it would not be well recieved.

I think far too much is being made of a dull grey soulless modern C-130J that gave a couple of flypasts at Yeovilton. Total yawnsville. RIAT had a Canadian C-130 flying in 1998 and it was hardly noticed. Yeovilton had many star attractions and that wasn't one of them.

Obvious troll is obvious
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Domvickery wrote:
capercaillie wrote:

Obvious troll is obvious

Is that even a sentence? :dunno:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

capercaillie wrote:Is that even a sentence? :dunno:

Yep, and I see exactly where he’s coming from. :biggrin:

TomTwin

Post by TomTwin »

cg_341 wrote:
JackyRIATWilson wrote:I have already seen Tommy take some stick from a die-hard RIAT supporter (may even be a volunteer) on Twitter. Not justified stick at all, seemed to take a swipe just because Tommy made valid points. I have your back, you were absolutely right and there was no excuse for him to knock you like that.

:lmao: :lmao:

Hi Chris,

This phenomenon you see is something called “having a friendly conversation”. It’s something people like you who live under bridges waiting for goats to try and cross cannot comprehend.

Fully agree with Jack and Tommy’s posts, and the review of this year’s show. Fingers crossed RIAT take note of the concerns and address them, hopefully on here too.

FlankerPhoto

Post by FlankerPhoto »

This phenomenon you see is something called “having a friendly conversation”.

It’s something people like you who live under bridges waiting for goats to try and cross cannot comprehend.

Oh, the irony.. :roll:

mark_aviation

Post by mark_aviation »

capercaillie wrote:I think far too much is being made of a dull grey soulless modern C-130J that gave a couple of flypasts at Yeovilton. Total yawnsville. RIAT had a Canadian C-130 flying in 1998 and it was hardly noticed. Yeovilton had many star attractions and that wasn't one of them.

It was originally confirmed as a Tac Demo, then downgraded to a flypast, hence why it was only “a couple of flypasts”. If you give people an option between confirming something that hasn’t displayed in the U.K. since 1998 and a Ferris wheel, I think I know which one people will prefer.