RIAT 2019

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
harkins

Re: RIAT 2019

Post by harkins »

The 55th looks like it was definitely a thing in Italy. The problem is likely twofold though. Wait for a 60th and a few more of those teams could be gone (F-5 teams for starters), yet if they did attempt an Italian style 55th, given the Reds gave that a miss, it's a long shot expecting people to come to their party.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

2019 is the 20th anniversary of the NATO Kosovo Campaign — Operation Allied Force — this one makes me feel old, still have a “Hey Slobs, got anymore Migs?” Sticker commemorating the campaign and photos of the Belgian F-16 sporting it’s Mig-29 kill at Waddington just a month later.

Personally for that very reason together with the campaigns very strong link to NATO (and it’s 60th) that I would like to see Kosovo marked.

Could get James Blunt to appear as he commanded a Scout Tank in the conflict and was one of the first to cross the border in the ground invasion. :lol:

Chrisse

Post by Chrisse »

boff180 wrote:2019 is the 20th anniversary of the NATO Kosovo Campaign — Operation Allied Force — this one makes me feel old, still have a “Hey Slobs, got anymore Migs?” Sticker commemorating the campaign and photos of the Belgian F-16 sporting it’s Mig-29 kill at Waddington just a month later.

That is unique given we didn't shoot one down. The Dutch don't miss an opportunity to point that out to us :grin:

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Oops I blame old age :oops:

farnboroughrob

Post by farnboroughrob »

I would love to see some thinking outside the box. A trainer meet, airborne forces meet (complete with 5x C-130 drop), helicopter meet, VIP aircraft meet etc. Trouble is we would get a meh from the 'fast jets are everything club' :whistle: :tumbleweed: .

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

But fast jets are everything.

CJS

Post by CJS »

"Meh"

Chris - el Presidente, F.J.A.E (south western branch)
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

Chrisse

Post by Chrisse »

I can only imagine the uproar bordering on pitchforks and torches to DBH if the Romanian air force were to send the IAR-99 (or Yak-52 :shock: ) instead of a Mig-21 to fit in with a trainer theme :grin:

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

CJS wrote:Chris - el Presidente, F.J.A.E (south western branch)

Psst.......JPs & Strikies aren't fast jets...... :tongue:
:biggrin:
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

CJS

Post by CJS »

Brevet Cable wrote:
CJS wrote:Chris - el Presidente, F.J.A.E (south western branch)

Psst.......JPs & Strikies aren't fast jets...... :tongue:
:biggrin:

In the SW Branch we define 'fast' as anything which can out run a Swordfish.

Or, as we sometimes say, anything.

AMB

Post by AMB »

I am very concerned that the US Navy's Blue Angels have not made a show in the UK since 1973 when they had F-4J Phantoms. We never got to see their A-4 Skyhawks and nor their current F/A-18 Hornets!

Why is it that the USAF Thunderbirds can come over here every few years to make a show, but they can’t?

It can’t be due to budget restrictions or even logistics as theiraircraft are capable of in-flight refuelling and in 2006 they flew all the way from Pensacola to Leeuwarden in the Netherlands for just ONE European show there during 16-17 June. Then they flew all the way back, ignoring the UK with the world’s biggest military air show and other UK or European air shows, which didn't seem to make sense from all aspects?
Adrian

planenuts

Post by planenuts »

Hi chaps, the Blue Angels came to Finningley Air Show in 1992, but it was jolly foggy, and the blue scheme became a grey one !!

Rupe :smile:
Name someone who loves you enough to die for you. I can only think of 1.......there is only 1

CJS

Post by CJS »

AMB wrote:I am very concerned that the US Navy's Blue Angels have not made a show in the UK since 1973 when they had F-4J Phantoms. We never got to see their A-4 Skyhawks and nor their current F/A-18 Hornets!

Why is it that the USAF Thunderbirds can come over here every few years to make a show, but they can’t?

It can’t be due to budget restrictions or even logistics as theiraircraft are capable of in-flight refuelling and in 2006 they flew all the way from Pensacola to Leeuwarden in the Netherlands for just ONE European show there during 16-17 June. Then they flew all the way back, ignoring the UK with the world’s biggest military air show and other UK or European air shows, which didn't seem to make sense from all aspects?

Every few years? 2007 - 2017 is hardly every few years is it? And why would the BA hang around for a month just to attend RIAT? On the two last occasions the Thunderbirds have been at RIAT there were obvious anniversaries and links to the UK. The BA don't have that.

So I would suggest not being "very concerned" of I were you. Or if you really are, pop over the pond to see them there. :Up:

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

CJS wrote:
AMB wrote:Why is it that the USAF Thunderbirds can come over here every few years to make a show, but they can’t?

Every few years? 2007 - 2017 is hardly every few years is it?

USAF Thunderbirds visited the UK in 2011 and displayed at RAF Waddington.

AMB

Post by AMB »

CJS wrote: in 2006 they flew all the way from Pensacola to Leeuwarden in the Netherlands for just ONE European show there during 16-17 June. Then they flew all the way back, ignoring the UK with the world’s biggest military air show and other UK or European air shows, which didn't seem to make sense from all aspects?

Every few years? 2007 - 2017 is hardly every few years is it? And why would the BA hang around for a month just to attend RIAT?

'Hang around for a month'? Did you actually read this about the BA flying to Leeuwarden in 2006 just for one show? If they planned it properly, they could have a week at RIAT and include Duxford and any European shows around the same time, making the whole exercise worthwhile.
Adrian

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

AMB wrote:
CJS wrote: in 2006 they flew all the way from Pensacola to Leeuwarden in the Netherlands for just ONE European show there during 16-17 June. Then they flew all the way back, ignoring the UK with the world’s biggest military air show and other UK or European air shows, which didn't seem to make sense from all aspects?

Every few years? 2007 - 2017 is hardly every few years is it? And why would the BA hang around for a month just to attend RIAT?

'Hang around for a month'? Did you actually read this about the BA flying to Leeuwarden in 2006 just for one show? If they planned it properly, they could have a week at RIAT and include Duxford and any European shows around the same time, making the whole exercise worthwhile.
From what I remember, the Blue Angels had an anniversary back in '06 and wanted to mark that in a special style, that is why they contacted a lot of European shows to see if they could come over. Three of that shows were interested, Leeuwarden, Sanicole and RIAT. Only reason why they only came over to Leeuwarden was that there were other appointments back home, which made it impossible to come over for the other shows. If there was only the slightest possibility to pull it off from a logistic point of view, the Blue Angels would have made two more transatlantic return trips that year.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

As much as I would love to see the Blues in the U.K. again - they are the best US team by a large margin - I fear their display would be crippled by U.K. Regulations to the point they would be as criticised/ridiculed as the Thunderbirds are when they visit.

There are numerous crowd rear/crowd front overflights during the display, including the mother of all sneak passes diving at the crowdline from behind pulling hard into the vertical as the crowd line is crossed!

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

boff180 wrote:As much as I would love to see the Blues in the U.K. again - they are the best US team by a large margin - I fear their display would be crippled by U.K. Regulations to the point they would be as criticised/ridiculed as the Thunderbirds are when they visit.

There are numerous crowd rear/crowd front overflights during the display, including the mother of all sneak passes diving at the crowdline from behind pulling hard into the vertical as the crowd line is crossed!

Well, I see what you're saying Andy, and yeah they do overfly the crowd, but last year the Thunderbirds did get concessions for overflight of the crowd. They never got to do their high show at all during RIAT but in general their display was much less compromised and more like their shows back home than on previous visits with the F-16. So some concessions may be possible, who knows.

When the Blues were last in the UK in 92 that tour came about because the C/O was aware the Thunderbirds had been to Europe with their new F-16s so he was determined to make it happen for the Blues too, and he did. (to attempt to display in the clag at Finningley!). I think that's what it comes down to, an individual/s in the right place and right time to want to do it and to find a way.

I can see the argument that the USAF have bases over here so its an outreach of a home show for the Thunderbirds, but the Blues also have the ambassadorial role for the US and are equally capable of representing the US Forces overseas.

The Blues do possess some of the same traits of the Thunderbirds that seem to frustrate some folks over here, but I found them hugely impressive when I saw them. Big, noisy, close, precise, and carrying that illusion of danger that brings proper excitement to the display.

Get em over! :rock:

edhunter

Post by edhunter »

What do you guys think the chances are of getting an aircraft from the Chinese Peoples Liberation Army Air Force at next years RIAT?

RAF4EVER

Post by RAF4EVER »

edhunter wrote:What do you guys think the chances are of getting an aircraft from the Chinese Peoples Liberation Army Air Force at next years RIAT?

Slim to none,and Slim has left town. :lmao: :smile: :heyhey:

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

RAF4EVER wrote:
edhunter wrote:What do you guys think the chances are of getting an aircraft from the Chinese Peoples Liberation Army Air Force at next years RIAT?

Slim to none,and Slim has left town. :lmao: :smile: :heyhey:

Basically this.

There's absolutely no chance whatsoever, unless RIAT happened to coincide with a Chinese aircraft deploying to Europe anyway. You'd be almost as well wishing for a flypast by an Imperial Star Destroyer.

That said, the Black Eagles in 2012 was a pretty extraordinary one-off, albeit one which RIAT had been working on since (I believe) the late 1980s! :shock: But of course they came across for more than just RIAT, and South Korea is, ahem, rather more benign from a NATO perspective than China...
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

mavvymoo

Post by mavvymoo »

Does anyone have immediate access to the Mach 1 and 2 prices for 2019 please? They were in this year's programme.
Famed for appearing to put my foot in it, read my post with the voice of Stewie Griffin if it offended you first time

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

mavvymoo wrote:Does anyone have immediate access to the Mach 1 and 2 prices for 2019 please? They were in this year's programme.

Mach 1 is £200 for adults and £100 for children. Mach 2 is £220 for adult and £110 for children. :up:

mavvymoo

Post by mavvymoo »

Tmyers123 wrote:
mavvymoo wrote:Does anyone have immediate access to the Mach 1 and 2 prices for 2019 please? They were in this year's programme.

Mach 1 is £200 for adults and £100 for children. Mach 2 is £220 for adult and £110 for children. :up:

Nice one, thank you so much :up:
Famed for appearing to put my foot in it, read my post with the voice of Stewie Griffin if it offended you first time

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Well Andy has been proclaiming it for the past 3 (at least!) years, along with the Brazilian national team :grin:

I think eventually we probably will end up seeing an asset from them attend one day. But anything more specific than that is a stretch, I think.