RIAT 2019

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
sopwithflyer

Re: RIAT 2019

Post by sopwithflyer »

CJS wrote:
bobby 1211 wrote:lets talk about Friday... not even having the chinook and typhoon display?! So far it looks like Friday has 3 displays and the NATO flypast which is not worth the price. I feel sorry to all who can only attend Friday and for DBH as it must be annoying for them too

But they are the ones who have made the choice to charge the same for a 4 hour display as they are for an 8 hour one the following 2 days. Granted there will be a 'pit zone' and some arrivals before and after the flying (could be USN Hornets and a couple of F-4s with smoky touch and goes, but it could be a couple of microlights and a Tutor), but it's little wonder you can still get Friday tickets at a super early bird price.

Had they been on sale for say £30 super eb, £35 eb and £40 full price then maybe, just maybe, they'd sell it out, because I'm sure there are some benefits - it's going to be quieter, you might see something fancy arriving...umm...

But what you'll actually get is less flying and less static access, for the same price.

I've been highly supportive of DBH on here over the years - sometimes to the amusement and bafflement of others - and I remain so by and large, but for me this is a screwup, pure and simple. To be honest I'm kind of surprised it's not being discussed more but maybe it's just me who thinks that there's anything amiss :dunno:

I can only attend on the Friday and I don't mind at all. Stuff arrives - you get to see that, and a lot of us locals actually prefer it being not so busy. I am happy and I guess you look at whats on offer and decide whether you want to buy it. It's all about personal choice.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Oh of course, I realise that.

And lots of people are making the personal choice not to go, which will obviously make it a more relaxing day out for those who do. :up:

just with y'know, less planes and stuff...
With just the slightest bit of finesse, I might have made a little less mess.

Jameslw1993

Post by Jameslw1993 »

Sorry to change the topic, does anybody have any clue as to whether the Apache will give us a role play demo this year?

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

:rock:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/onaviation/status/1136714401636114433[/tweet]

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Special tail for the Spanish Harriers coming to RIAT.

Jameslw1993 wrote:Sorry to change the topic, does anybody have any clue as to whether the Apache will give us a role play demo this year?

Don't see why not. They did the role demo at Duxford last weekend.

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Jameslw1993 wrote:Sorry to change the topic, does anybody have any clue as to whether the Apache will give us a role play demo this year?

RIAT is on their schedule, it’s a solo this year

CJS

Post by CJS »

The special tail Harriers rather implies they won't be the same ones that are also going to Yeovilton.

Oh, and yes, :cool: :rock:
With just the slightest bit of finesse, I might have made a little less mess.

harkins

Post by harkins »

Aargh my eyes! They’re hideous. If only we’d had them last year we might not have been so hard on the RAF100 stickers. Whatever possessed them?

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

Nice to see they have made an effort (are you looking RAF?), but it doesnt look very good in my eyes.

Also i think when they used to put a sharks mouth on the harriers they looked so much better.

Mind you, Harriers. :worship: (are you looking RAF?)
Got to love Russianhardware

harkins

Post by harkins »

Maybe if they'd just done one of them it'd be ok. Or maybe left off the Air Tattoo text. Oh well, they are still Harriers and that's the main thing.

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

harkins wrote:Maybe if they'd just done one of them it'd be ok. Or maybe left off the Air Tattoo text. Oh well, they are still Harriers and that's the main thing.

Each to their own, I think it looks great.

jason82wells

Post by jason82wells »

Tmyers123 wrote:
harkins wrote:Maybe if they'd just done one of them it'd be ok. Or maybe left off the Air Tattoo text. Oh well, they are still Harriers and that's the main thing.

Each to their own, I think it looks great.

Agree - I like them and they've made more of an effort than the RAF did last year.

Canberra TT.18

Post by Canberra TT.18 »

Tmyers123 wrote::rock:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/onaviation/status/1136714401636114433[/tweet]

Remarkable. :wat:

Is this the first time a foreign 'team' have their aricraft specially and only painted up for RIAT? (what's RIAT/DBH role in this :dunno: )
Can't remember this happened before, apart from maybe an odd sticker.
The 3 TTTE Tornado's where painted at Fairford itself I believe.

For the numbercruncher (including me) we already know which two aircraft the Aramda will bring.

Pieter

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

The Hellenic A-7 single-seater received special marks to signal their RIAT attendance (and a sort of “clean” repaint on the twin-stick), and their their F-4s has special RIAT marks in 2016/17.

I also *think* a Luftwaffe A310 received some special stencils on the door one year, but had to depart on a tasking on the Friday before the show weekend. 2014 maybe?

A handful of others here and there, I think.

I’m no fan of the AV-8s’ tail itself, but a really top effort nonetheless :clap:

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

Hercules have often been painted in RIAT schemes.

The Greek F-4 too.

UKTopgun
UKAR Supporter

Post by UKTopgun »

Hmmm. Those Harrier tails seem to mimic the Air Tattoo logo but with bits done totally differently.
Not a fan. But hey, 2 harriers so what is not to like?

Canberra TT.18

Post by Canberra TT.18 »

Tommy wrote:The Hellenic A-7 single-seater received special marks to signal their RIAT attendance (and a sort of “clean” repaint on the twin-stick), and their their F-4s has special RIAT marks in 2016/17.

I also *think* a Luftwaffe A310 received some special stencils on the door one year, but had to depart on a tasking on the Friday before the show weekend. 2014 maybe?

A handful of others here and there, I think.

I’m no fan of the AV-8s’ tail itself, but a really top effort nonetheless :clap:

boff180 wrote:Hercules have often been painted in RIAT schemes.

The Greek F-4 too.

Off course Pakistan C-130s and Greek Phantoms.
It seems I getting old and have some (serious) memory problems :shock:

Pieter

pb643

Post by pb643 »

MiG_Eater wrote:
giblets46 wrote:Any news on the Rafale, always good to see (we were spoilt last year with Coteau Delta too, shame they are not flying this year), I note no French aircraft are official, although Patrouille de France are self confirmed.
Also good to hear if the Airbus A400M will make it, great display from such a big bird, I note we will get to see one in the air in the German Flypast.

I believe the Rafale schedule was officially released and does not have RIAT on it. It's a shame, but hopefully we'll get the PdF.

PdF are listed on their own website as being at RIAT on Saturday the 20th only.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Not sure why all the negativity towards the tails, its a smart design. I will say I'm slightly puzzled by the cobra, hopefully all will become clearer at the time, maybe the plan to call themselves "the Cobras" or something similar. :dunno:

At least its showing an enthusiastic participation. :up:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

Logster

Post by Logster »

I like it - great colours and great to see such effort being made.
Probably has the Yeovilton Airday logo on the other side and will fly each display so that the crowd can only see the 'right' logo - marketing genius! :grin: :whistle:

vulcanshammer

Post by vulcanshammer »

capercaillie wrote:Not sure why all the negativity towards the tails, its a smart design. I will say I'm slightly puzzled by the cobra, hopefully all will become clearer at the time, maybe the plan to call themselves "the Cobras" or something similar. :dunno:

Agreed, I personally think they look great. It's two specially (S)painted Harriers. What is there to moan about? :dizzy: I think some people wont be happy until their own face is on the side of a specially restored TSR-2.
The sooner the world runs out of cotton wool the better

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

capercaillie wrote:Not sure why all the negativity towards the tails, its a smart design. I will say I'm slightly puzzled by the cobra, hopefully all will become clearer at the time, maybe the plan to call themselves "the Cobras" or something similar. :dunno:

The Spanish nickname the AV-8B+ the Cobra.

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

vulcanshammer wrote:

Agreed, I personally think they look great. It's two specially (S)painted Harriers. What is there to moan about? :dizzy: I think some people wont be happy until their own face is on the side of a specially restored TSR-2.

You mean the TSR-2 isn't even going to be in original colours! Forget it.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

boff180 wrote:

The Spanish nickname the AV-8B+ the Cobra.

Cheers Andy, every day is a school day. :up:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

vulcanshammer wrote:Agreed, I personally think they look great. It's two specially (S)painted Harriers. What is there to moan about? :dizzy: I think some people wont be happy until their own face is on the side of a specially restored TSR-2.

Just when I thought it couldn't get any uglier.......

The weird white thing, not the Harriers, I am aware this will not be a well received opinion :lol: