The future of RIAT

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
Finningley Boy

Re: The future of RIAT

Post by Finningley Boy »

IAT moved to Fairford when KC-135s were based there. The RC-135s at Mildenhall were not the reason the Air Fete folded. Further, RIAT has already been advertised for next year and the year after.

FB
I have danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings!

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

I've only been to the last 2 RIAT's. Before that I used to go to music festivals, and I can certainly say for what you get at RIAT £40 or £50 quid a day is great value for money.

8.5 hours flying on 3 days this year. Flying Legends at Duxford was around 30 quid a head for less than half that.

I feel for those who can't afford it, but the numbers that go are proof that ticket prices are not turning people away.

BossMann

Post by BossMann »

Would North Weald Airfield be unsuitable for any future airshows IF RIAT had to move and couldn't find another major RAF base for the show ( as they will be either too busy as frontline operational airfields or have been scrapped by the MOD )

North Weald was home to the Fighter Meet Airshow/ Airshow Europe 1992/ North Weald Airshows..... don't know when it last held an airshow.

I know it has issues with being close to Stansted - but so is Duxford and that doesn't stop them from being able to accommodate full displays by French rafales/ RAF typhoon/ Patrouille de France and the Red Arrows

The first Air Tattoo was held at North Weald too....

If they could overcome the airspace issues maybe North Weald could be suitable if needed .... the local council was thinking of starting to host a proper airshow at the airfield last year but clearly that never happened - maybe if anyone here knows any more info on the issues regarding shows at North weald can help

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

North Weald would be quite a comedown from Fairford. It's tiny in comparison!

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

BossMann wrote:I know it has issues with being close to Stansted - but so is Duxford and that doesn't stop them from being able to accommodate full displays by French rafales/ RAF typhoon/ Patrouille de France and the Red Arrows

Base of controlled airspace above Duxford is 4500ft and in a location where aircraft inbound to Stansted and Luton don't have to go.

Base of controlled airspace above North Weald is 1500ft and it's ~2.5nm from the extended centreline of runway 04 for arrivals, and the 22 climbout track for departures.

So the fact that Duxford is "also close" doesn't work as an argument.

BossMann

Post by BossMann »

cg_341 wrote:
BossMann wrote:I know it has issues with being close to Stansted - but so is Duxford and that doesn't stop them from being able to accommodate full displays by French rafales/ RAF typhoon/ Patrouille de France and the Red Arrows

Base of controlled airspace above Duxford is 4500ft and in a location where aircraft inbound to Stansted and Luton don't have to go.

Base of controlled airspace above North Weald is 1500ft and it's ~2.5nm from the extended centreline of runway 04 for arrivals, and the 22 climbout track for departures.

So the fact that Duxford is "also close" doesn't work as an argument.

Cheers for clarifying

Fingers crossed RIAT can stay at RAF Fairford forever...

AMB

Post by AMB »

G67 wrote:
farnboroughrob wrote:One of the things I have always wondered is do DBH actually pay for the military aircraft to display? Do they pay for the fuel? I assume they do pay for aircrew accommodation? .

For NATO assets I believe the answers are: no / yes / yes
For non-NATO and booked civilian: yes / yes / yes
For civilian 'volunteers' like Chipmunks on static I don't know for certain, I'd guess no / no / yes

I believe they pay for fuel for aircraft being displayed, but not for fuel getting to/from the show. Can you imagine the fuel bill for the RAAF Wedgetail from Australia or the Kawasaki C-2 from Japan?
Adrian