FRIAT Forum 2019

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
G-CVIX

FRIAT Forum 2019

Post by G-CVIX »

Dear FRIAT Member,
We are pleased to announce that we will be holding a FRIAT Forum for 2019 and we would be delighted if you can join us. Spaces are limited to the first 50 respondents and the Forum is only open to current FRIAT members. RSVPs must be completed by Monday 11 March.
The Forum will take place on Friday 5 April at Air Tattoo HQ, Douglas Bader House, Fairford.

Do we have any UKAR members in attendance this year?

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Re: FRIAT Forum 2019

Post by Tommy »

To my knowledge no staffers are this year (correct me if I’ve missed anyone, guys!).

I would have liked to have gone again this year and done another sunmary on here but sadly life admin got in the way. A shame. Other than the information given, it was great to meet TomG and others and put names to many faces; long-time posters, lurkers, and “UKAR? I don’t touch that website with a barge-pole mate... still, nice to meet you!” types. :grin:

Paul_Reflex

Post by Paul_Reflex »

I'll be going along to the forum. I'm quite happy to report back with any news, as long as it isn't embargoed obvs.

BossMann

Post by BossMann »

Would it also be possible for any UKAR members attending the FRIAT Forum to ask about the status of the RAFCTE's 'other' airshow in the east of England?

Even if it is to get an official ' it will never happen again'.

they did give information on the cancelled Scampton Airshow at these forums previously........................

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

Other questions to be asked:

Why aren't future dates for the show now only until 2022 published on the website, it used to be longer in advance. Has this anything to do with the future of RIAT at Fairford when the US sends in the Rivet Joints?

Will RIAT permanently return to the week after Flying Legends as the list of future dates suggests, as that weekend has been dropped by Farnborough to have its public shows every two years?
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

That last one is unlikely tbh. The Friday shows will still clash and as many FIA participants also attend RIAT it makes more sense for RIAT to continue to occupy the weekend slot before an FIA.

G67

Post by G67 »

One minor feedback if anyone's going to the Forum.

Consistently the daily movements sheets have run-out by mid-morning on the Arrivals days. Given that they are ticketed days I don't really know why that is, since surely they know exactly how many tickets they have to sell.

But it would be nice if they printed more movements sheets. They could save paper by omitting the front 'cover' and reducing the amount of whitespace on the lists.

Or even just provide a downloadable text file each day...

frank

Post by frank »

Could you raise the following for me.

If the P&V`s are becoming increasingly full especially on the Monday, why don't RIAT make them advance ticket only. To hold a limited number back for on-the-day purchase is just plain nonsense. People could be driving for hours to attend in the hope of buying a ticket, only to find it sold out. Surely this will only encourage people to hang around inside or outside the base.
Secondly in my opinion the P&V`s are becoming too crowded for the area they have, numbers should be reduced for safety reasons. Last year we had the farce of people being herded into a smaller area for the Frecce practice display and we were fair jammed in. Not an acceptable practice

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

That Frecce thing was pure insanity. I would like some clarity on that too. Is that something we can expect to happen regularly with certain displays?

Only a small point, but personally I have found the food vendors in the FRIAT enclosure and P+V East to be a fairly miserable affair. I'm not complaining about the price, it is what it is, but any chance of some variation?

It doesn't look like anyone here is going other than Paul, so I wouldn't expect minor points like mine to come up, but I thought I'd post here regardless. :)

Paul_Reflex

Post by Paul_Reflex »

I'm making a list and I'll do my best.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

G-CVIX wrote:That Frecce thing was pure insanity. I would like some clarity on that too. Is that something we can expect to happen regularly with certain displays?

:grin:
I think what made it all the more ludicrous was not only did they cut the lines completely on the multi direction bomb-burst and cross over rendering not only the line of safety absolutely irrelevant but put the complete P&V under the display line, but when they came to display on Saturday they left that whole section of their display out of the routine. :dizzy:

Utter bonkers :grin:

Personally I didn't feel the East end P&V was overcrowded, always a relaxed time ahead of the show for me. :biggrin:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

Mr Benn

Post by Mr Benn »

Wish id seen this thread earlier. My burning question,which has been asked by many on here already, is how can they justify increasi ng the Friday ticket prices so much...and to be t he same now as a weekend ticket ? My plan was to take some of my family on the Friday ( all over 18 yo), just as a taster for them , but on a quieter and cheaper day.

Paul_Reflex

Post by Paul_Reflex »

Mr Benn wrote:Wish id seen this thread earlier. My burning question,which has been asked by many on here already, is how can they justify increasi ng the Friday ticket prices so much...and to be t he same now as a weekend ticket ? My plan was to take some of my family on the Friday ( all over 18 yo), just as a taster for them , but on a quieter and cheaper day.

I'll add that to the list. I think I'll email Wendy in the next few days with the questions rather than hog lots of time in the Q&A on the actual day.

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Although I sympathise, and agree with your point on Friday pricing, I doubt it'll get on the agenda at the FRIAT forum. Friday is included in the FRIAT packages.
You could ask 'for a friend' and they may answer.
its time to kick the tyres and light the fires

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151934326@N08/albums

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

A last minute request from me please Paul, to make sure the lack of commentary is raised. It detracted from the show last year, and the rumour as to the reason why it wasn't there needs addressing. Thanks, and I hope its an enjoyable day tomorrow. But for my personal shortage of annual leave I'd be there myself.
its time to kick the tyres and light the fires

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151934326@N08/albums

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Wrexham Mackem wrote:A last minute request from me please Paul, to make sure the lack of commentary is raised. It detracted from the show last year, and the rumour as to the reason why it wasn't there needs addressing. Thanks, and I hope its an enjoyable day tomorrow. But for my personal shortage of annual leave I'd be there myself.

+1 from me. It was extremely frustrating not having the commentary, especially just before the cancelled flypast since nobody near me knew what was going on.

I always enjoy hearing the visiting commentators as well - they've made the effort to come all the way from far flung places, they really ought to be heard in the FRIAT enclosure!

G67

Post by G67 »

No, please, no commentary. It was an island of tranquility in FRIAT last year and if you did want to hear the same inane wittering three days in a row you could tune to the radio station. Or just lean over a bit to the public tannoys.

Safety announcements were still broadcast as legally required.

I'm not a videographer but I'm sure they were pleased with the absence of background blethering, too.

It's an airshow not a BBC1 chat show.

Tom105

Post by Tom105 »

Im with the others lack of commentary was bad, why should we have to use a radio in order to get it
Thomas

Paul_Reflex

Post by Paul_Reflex »

It's too much really, but I will definitely ask about the commentary. I hope future planning beyond the next couple of years is raised, if not I'll ask what their current line on this is. I'm fairly confident that the P&Vs will be discussed and I'll report back. I can certainly ask if there can be more daily movement sheets available, although personally I'd prefer that we all used less paper and shared with each other more, or even a paperless version through the app.

Anyway, I'm sure there will be much to talk about, much answered and some unanswered questions tomorrow. Also Cumberland sausage.

Albion143

Post by Albion143 »

Paperless version through the app sounds a great idea to me!!!

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

My only point is. If and it's a big if, there is something decent announced flying at the meeting today, can we have no 'I know something you don't know' posts please.
Did you hear about the dyslexic pimp? He bought a ware house!
Proud member of the Silverstone Marshalling Team

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

G67 wrote:
It's an airshow not a BBC1 chat show.

Well exactly... I might say "it's an airshow - not a day's spotting at an airbase".

Commentary is part of the airshow. I've been going to airshows since the '90s and don't recall ever visiting one where commentary wasn't available at crowd centre (especially for those that paid extra!).

Paul_Reflex

Post by Paul_Reflex »

Just back from a great day at DBH. I have summarised what I heard below, I tried to focus on some of the points raised above. I hope its helpful.

Safety
The cycle path from whelford village to site 16 is closed again this year and diverted behind the hedge. There is a new road closure to the North west of display area, it's a road/lane to the west of Ryhmes. Aircraft positions will now be monitored in real time by Qinetic usung radar with a direct link to the display director.

Participation
Tom said that we are on track for a strong show. There has been a particular focus on NATO and they have recieved good levels of engagement from the 29 NATO member states. Most of these nations are responding positively and the only full member to have declined so far is the Czech republic. Lots of interesting ideas and aspirations were discussed but no specific participation announcement was made at the forum.

P&V issues.
With reference to last year's special arrangements for the Frecce Tricolori, we were told that they were keen to fly their 'Bomb' manoeuvre. But during the rehearsal at Fairford, issues were revealed with crowd overfight and the team were not able to fly this manoeuvre safely without further modifications to the disay which was unachievable at that stage. This was a joint decision made by the demo team and the RIAT flying display team. I raised the need for more flying display lists at p&v.

FRIAT
The loyalty scheme to continue. Paying for FRIAT by monthly payments may move to 5 monthly payments, from 6 next year because the prices are easier to divide by 5. We discussed commentary in the FRIAT enclosure. In 2017 the speakers were tampered with, needing frequent repairs, and this caused a high cost due to the contractors obligations for their insurance. The FRIAT team are looking at better speaker placement for next year so that the sound disperses more evenly over FRIAT area, i.e. not fixed to the grandstands.

Future plans.
As far as DBH are concerned shows will continue past the point where Fairford is used for full time operations, but there may be some challenges and changes to accommodate, mostly due to more personnel being based there.

It was an RAFCTE decision not to run Scampton for a second year in 2019. They couldn't create a brand around Scampton with the base closing. They said that they still have an ambition to run a similar event in north if opportunity arises.

That's it, just over 100 days to go!
Last edited by Paul_Reflex on Fri 05 Apr 2019, 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tom105

Post by Tom105 »

Thank you so much for the feedback really appreciate as i couldn't make it! :clap:
Thomas

Big Eric

Post by Big Eric »

A couple of points :-

Where is "site 16"?
"Tom said that we are on track for a strong show" - well, he's not going to say "we are on track for a weak show" is he?
"Freece Tricolori" should be Frecce Tricolori.

:smile: