RIAT 2019 security

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
pbeardmore

RIAT 2019 security

Post by pbeardmore »

Almost a tradition that we have a thread on this so....

entered on the Friday around 9.30, 3 guys in uniform within the security check area standing at a table doing nothing (it's very quiet). I place my full rucksack on the table in preparation for a check/search. "No, you're alright mate" and waved on.
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

captainfurious

Re: RIAT 2019 security

Post by captainfurious »

Funnily enough for first time Red Entrance was checking everyone.

Andyperkins

Post by Andyperkins »

They put my rucksack through the scanner which was a first but that was it.

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

The most mind boggling security check was at Duxford’s Tornado Farewell flypast this year.

They parked everyone on the airfield in front of the shop and told everyone to go back into the shop and pay.

I went into the shop, from the airfield side, there was no queue, and they asked to security check my camera bag.

If I was going to blow something up would I have taken it in the shop when I went to pay, when my car was already out on the airfield which I could go back to anytime (along with hundreds of others)?

Seemed a bit pointless, if I really was up to no good I’d have just left everything in the car.

BuffaloG

Post by BuffaloG »

Green yesterday was the quickest I can remember in years.

LittleRedTrain

Post by LittleRedTrain »

Minimal security going on at the Yellow entrance when we got there about 9:40. Howeer, the queue line was still stretching down half way to the bus drop-off through sheer weight of numbers.

Chap running the x-ray scanner was joking that anyone who didn't make eye contact with him got their bag put through the scanner. He did ask for mine to be scanned but it went straight in and out the machine without any fuss.

skidd40

Post by skidd40 »

Blue was thorough yesterday ! all pockets and i mean all pockets wanded ,contents visually checked also even asked me to remove my hat , but strangely my M&S large cool bag....... nothing

Rossbeef

Post by Rossbeef »

I was in blue on Saturday. I did not get checked, nor did my bag. just walked straight through.

The only thing I had an issue with was the scanner did not work for my programme. I was very disappointed by this as i really wanted to look through all the advertisements :grin:

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Happened to me on Sunday. After the body wand scan I was told to put bag on table, and have it opened. Got to the table and the guy just said 'on you go mate'

There was one absolute jobsworth in yellow though Saturday morning. A guy behind me took a photo of the Yellow entry arch. A security guard shouted he was not allowed to take photos. A few seconds later an absolute prat of a police man came storming up.

'this is a no photography area, why are you taking photos'

'Show me your phone' (proceeds to check phone) 'why have you pictures of (whatever it was)

'Show me ID'

'What is the purpose of your visit to Fairford today' (I nearly burst out laughing at this one)

Absolute joke.

jayne_morris

Post by jayne_morris »

jasonT1981 wrote:Happened to me on Sunday. After the body wand scan I was told to put bag on table, and have it opened. Got to the table and the guy just said 'on you go mate'

There was one absolute jobsworth in yellow though Saturday morning. A guy behind me took a photo of the Yellow entry arch. A security guard shouted he was not allowed to take photos. A few seconds later an absolute prat of a police man came storming up.

'Show me your phone' (proceeds to check phone) 'why have you pictures of (whatever it was)

'Show me ID'

'What is the purpose of your visit to Fairford today' (I nearly burst out laughing at this one)

Absolute joke.

why was it an absolute joke?

have you never heard of photography being used as a strategic element in warfare, i do believe it is called reconnaissance photography, if you want to attack a target then what better way to plan your attack than to have detailed photographs of your intended target

BrawlerO

Post by BrawlerO »

jasonT1981 wrote:Happened to me on Sunday. After the body wand scan I was told to put bag on table, and have it opened. Got to the table and the guy just said 'on you go mate'

'Show me ID'

Absolute joke.

I think we should cut Mr Plod some slack there...he’s standing around on a fruitless PR exercise on a hot day with nothing to do except play make believe normal people are terrorists. He’s bound to jump on any chance to flex his lawful muscles. Bless :pinkwafer:

The proper wrong-un’s of the world that mean to do us serious harm are much more intelligent.

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

I wonder under what powers did he search your phone?

The Police just cant relieve boredom at whim by picking on someone.
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

138EAW

Post by 138EAW »

We camped in the official campsite, so used both the Blue & Yellow entrance points. Blue on Thursday, Friday, Sunday and Monday. Yellow Saturday and first time didn't get searched once. Offered bag each time and got waved through.
Gary

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

i didn't find security to be too bad at blue. slow at times but generally the staff were pleasant

CJS

Post by CJS »

Fine at green. Quick scan (it was actually turned on this year) and quick bag check. All by very polite people doing a good job as far as I could see.
You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.