RIAT 2019 - Issues

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
CJS

Re: RIAT 2019 - Issues

Post by CJS »

IATthenRIAT wrote:
CJS wrote:
IATthenRIAT wrote:
DerekF wrote:It might have been carrying ammunition, casualties or any number of things where a flyby would have been inappropriate, not to mention asking a crew to participate in airshow after a 6 or 7 hour flight....

It all depended on different factors as you say - but It would have been no harm the control tower asking as it was only a matter of minutes away and with the flying time between FFD and Brize being about 5 mins - if none of the things you mentioned had been a factor then cant see what the harm would have been.
Like I say it was just another of those "What Ifs"

The control tower aren't in the business of asking close by military assets if they wouldn't mind nipping over for a quick flypast, they're trying to safely run an airshow.

Just an idea mate - would have been far more intersting than the A400M/blades flypast.

So would me driving my 11 year old Fiesta down the runway.
You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Am I the only one who'll admit to enjoying both the Blades display and their flypast with the A400?

It was a change from the usual jet displays, not to mention the amusing commentary ( although it wasn't supposed to be )
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

spellow3010

Post by spellow3010 »

Brevet Cable wrote:Am I the only one who'll admit to enjoying both the Blades display and their flypast with the A400M?

It was a change from the usual jet displays, not to mention the amusing commentary ( although it wasn't supposed to be )

The Blades put on a decent show as it happens... and the flypast with the A400, in any other year would probably be hailed with more enthusiasm. It's just that all of the eggs of Sunday were put into that basket, and the commentary reflected it, which is a shame. In all seriousness, it wasn't what anyone particularly wanted, but it was well flown.
Now officially qualifies as a 'regular' at Famous Dave's - El Centro

vulcan57

Post by vulcan57 »

Brevet Cable wrote:Am I the only one who'll admit to enjoying both the Blades display and their flypast with the A400M?

I've always thought the blades were good but did have reservations about them being "lost" in the RIAT arena. However, they did themselves proud and certainly showed the Jordanian Falcons how its done.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

vulcan57 wrote:

I've always thought the blades were good but did have reservations about them being "lost" in the RIAT arena. However, they did themselves proud and certainly showed the Jordanian Falcons how its done.

Really? I thought the RJF made them look like amateurs
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

speedbird2639

Post by speedbird2639 »

Arguing over whether the Blades or the RJF were the best display is a bit like two bald men fighting over a comb! :lmao:

R4118

Post by R4118 »

I enjoyed this years RIAT, as I did the 20something before. But I was taken by surprise how "small" it has become. Static has shrunk to its smallest, I think. There were even a lot less stalls, I thought. I was left with the feeling of having missed a part of the static; but this wasn't the case.
I thought the flying display was worthwhile. Friday had the bad luck of weather issues, Saturday was great. Leaving the carpark on Saturday, was a real disgrace in RIAT terms. 10000 cars leaving and 2 traffic wardens. I'm not going to elaborate on this, as I hate incompetence and I wouldn't be nice…..

The only real grief I have is about FRIAT. I had the impression of being in a mall, at times. People walking about without any care about the flying display, only in getting food, drink, gadgets, …, without consideration of others wanting to enjoy, photograph the flying display. Even staff hanging over the rails, instead of sitting down somewhere. This is a trend that has become worse over the years.
I hope this is something that will be dealt with in future.
Why not have staff standing at the stairs holding people back during displays. This used to be the case, but is no longer. This worked fine. There is staff enough to handle this. I do not see the need for 6 or 7 staff checking people getting in the enclosure, 2 would be more than sufficient.
Or why not have a division in seating, people who want to film, photograph, … the displays and others who just want to watch….
Just an idea..
I thinking of changing to the grandstand next to FRIAT. Vantage point is the same …

Something to think about; see how things develop…..
La Ferté-Alias
Old Warden
Tigermeet
Sywell
RIAT
Albert
Duxford
Sanicole

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

speedbird2639 wrote:Arguing over whether the Blades or the RJF were the best display is a bit like two bald men fighting over a comb! :lmao:

In one sense it is - but RIAT wouldn't really be RIAT without the RJF. They are a military display team from an Arab nation (and they always bring their lovely C-130) and so for me they are always welcome - even if I do almost always dose off during their rehearsal...

The Blades felt so entirely wrong for RIAT it was just weird.

p51cjb

Post by p51cjb »

R4118 wrote:I enjoyed this years RIAT, as I did the 20something before. But I was taken by surprise how "small" it has become. Static has shrunk to its smallest, I think. There were even a lot less stalls, I thought. I was left with the feeling of having missed a part of the static; but this wasn't the case.
I thought the flying display was worthwhile. Friday had the bad luck of weather issues, Saturday was great. Leaving the carpark on Saturday, was a real disgrace in RIAT terms. 10000 cars leaving and 2 traffic wardens. I'm not going to elaborate on this, as I hate incompetence and I wouldn't be nice…..

The only real grief I have is about FRIAT. I had the impression of being in a mall, at times. People walking about without any care about the flying display, only in getting food, drink, gadgets, …, without consideration of others wanting to enjoy, photograph the flying display. Even staff hanging over the rails, instead of sitting down somewhere. This is a trend that has become worse over the years.
I hope this is something that will be dealt with in future.
Why not have staff standing at the stairs holding people back during displays. This used to be the case, but is no longer. This worked fine. There is staff enough to handle this. I do not see the need for 6 or 7 staff checking people getting in the enclosure, 2 would be more than sufficient.
Or why not have a division in seating, people who want to film, photograph, … the displays and others who just want to watch….
Just an idea..
I thinking of changing to the grandstand next to FRIAT. Vantage point is the same …

Something to think about; see how things develop…..

Sorry to hear about your issues but I can honestly say that I don't recognise any of the FRIAT issues you describe and I have been there as a photographer for the past 34 years. Good luck with the grandstand if that is what you choose for next year

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

I do feel the 'vibe' of FRIAT has changed over the years. With the advent of cheap digital photography the vast majority of people are photographing aircraft all the time and it seems much more an enclosure for photographers than for aviation enthusiasts. I definitely agree with the idea of people having courtesy and ensuring they don't get in the way - but the attitude of many in the enclosure seems so hostile. I honestly felt at times I was the only person there having a good time!

harkins

Post by harkins »

MiG_Eater wrote:I do feel the 'vibe' of FRIAT has changed over the years. With the advent of cheap digital photography the vast majority of people are photographing aircraft all the time and it seems much more an enclosure for photographers than for aviation enthusiasts. I definitely agree with the idea of people having courtesy and ensuring they don't get in the way - but the attitude of many in the enclosure seems so hostile. I honestly felt at times I was the only person there having a good time!

I know where you're coming from but, I don't think that you can draw a line between aviation enthusiasts and photographers. There is surely a huge overlap? Not entirely sure 'cheap' digital photography is the cause either. You don't see a lot of cheap kit in there. Certainly not by my definition of cheap anyway.

I thought things were ok overall in the enclosure although as I've already said on here, I do think that there was a noticeable increase in the amount of coming and going, especially during displays - at least around where I was sitting. However, perhaps that was due in part to the indifferent weather on Sunday and the appalling weather on Friday and even Saturday wasn't ideal for photography throughout the day, so maybe that resulted in people being a bit more restless. And there was a pretty dull middle part of the day on Sunday where a lot of the less attractive displays seemed to have been grouped together.

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

MiG_Eater wrote:I do feel the 'vibe' of FRIAT has changed over the years. With the advent of cheap digital photography the vast majority of people are photographing aircraft all the time and it seems much more an enclosure for photographers than for aviation enthusiasts. I definitely agree with the idea of people having courtesy and ensuring they don't get in the way - but the attitude of many in the enclosure seems so hostile. I honestly felt at times I was the only person there having a good time!

Didn't go this year, but recognise a lot of the complaints listed, and about FRIAT too.
Remember when, if someone stood at the wrong time there would be howls of 'sit down' from members?
Or when staff kept an eye on things to make sure peeps were ok, and rules were adhered too?

Is it times a changing? or is it a lack of awareness and care?

for example my friend was standing at the barrier at the front of FRIAT last year, and when anything took off 2-3 Frenchmen 'bad rashed' him out of the way to get their photographs.
Granted that didn't go on for too long as i stood there while my friend went to the loo, and i wasn't about to be pushed anywhere. but this behaviour needs to be spelled out to each and every member as unacceptable.
Got to love Russianhardware

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

harkins wrote:

I know where you're coming from but, I don't think that you can draw a line between aviation enthusiasts and photographers. There is surely a huge overlap? Not entirely sure 'cheap' digital photography is the cause either. You don't see a lot of cheap kit in there. Certainly not by my definition of cheap anyway.

I thought things were ok overall in the enclosure although as I've already said on here, I do think that there was a noticeable increase in the amount of coming and going, especially during displays - at least around where I was sitting. However, perhaps that was due in part to the indifferent weather on Sunday and the appalling weather on Friday and even Saturday wasn't ideal for photography throughout the day, so maybe that resulted in people being a bit more restless. And there was a pretty dull middle part of the day on Sunday where a lot of the less attractive displays seemed to have been grouped together.

Sorry I probably wasn't very clear - there is a huge overlap in photographers and enthusiasts, but whereas FRIAT used to be a place where it tended to be enthusiasts taking photos to remember their great day out - it now seems to be a majority of aviation photographers who are there to get good photos and everything else is just waiting.

By 'cheap' what I mean is that in the '90s in order to get publishable quality photographs you needed to part with a small fortune. Now the vast majority of photographers in FRIAT (even the less serious ones like me) are able to get extraordinarily good quality pictures. With no rolls of film to worry about the machine-gunning shutters are almost constant.

harkins

Post by harkins »

I think you have a good point there in so much as I'm often a bit surprised by how little some people sat around me seemed to know about military aviation. I know that there isn't an exam you need to pass and I myself am a casual enthusiast (and very amateur and untalented photographer) but, I am occasionally surprised by some of the things you hear said. It was like an episode of Plane Spotting Live at times! Maybe the photography side of the hobby is the most important side of the hobby for many today.

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

It definitely is.

An example would be my reaction to the USAF F-16 display - I loved the high speed, high G display whereas the only reactions I heard from those around me was disappointment that it was so un-photogenic.

Then there is the moans and groans about how bad the light is when a particular aircraft is displaying. I am a photographer, and of course i'd prefer a brightly lit subject - but this is of minimal importance to me in comparison to seeing a fast jet display. It is the aviation that draws me to an airshow, and my camera is there to record some memories. I feel i'm part of a dying breed on this point!

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

MiG_Eater wrote:It is the aviation that draws me to an airshow, and my camera is there to record some memories. I feel i'm part of a dying breed on this point!

you're not. i go for the aviation. I take my camera for good shots but it isn't my sole reason for being there.

i'm an enthusiast and go to enjoy the show but do place myself to get good shots. that said, i do it with full consideration of the people around me.
what did annoy me this year is that everywhere there were inconsiderate photographers, quite often in groups acting like twats to get "the shot".
i stopped taking photos for a period on the sunday because a group in front of me (who were no more than 2/3m from the front) where all standing on footsteps for the entirety of displays.

i understand it for take off shots, but when the planes are in the air its just a joke. i have no issues with people getting to the front because they go their early, none at all. what does annoy me is people who set up with massive tripods, steps and windbreaks etc within 10m of the flightline which seemed to be a massive issue this year. didn't seem to be any attempt to stop it.

everyone has a right to see the show, a photographer has no divine right to see more than anyone else, and sometimes we need to get over ourselves and respect everyone.

spellow3010

Post by spellow3010 »

rockfordstone wrote:
MiG_Eater wrote:It is the aviation that draws me to an airshow, and my camera is there to record some memories. I feel i'm part of a dying breed on this point!

you're not. i go for the aviation. I take my camera for good shots but it isn't my sole reason for being there.

i'm an enthusiast and go to enjoy the show but do place myself to get good shots. that said, i do it with full consideration of the people around me.
what did annoy me this year is that everywhere there were inconsiderate photographers, quite often in groups acting like twats to get "the shot".
i stopped taking photos for a period on the sunday because a group in front of me (who were no more than 2/3m from the front) where all standing on footsteps for the entirety of displays.

i understand it for take off shots, but when the planes are in the air its just a joke. i have no issues with people getting to the front because they go their early, none at all. what does annoy me is people who set up with massive tripods, steps and windbreaks etc within 10m of the flightline which seemed to be a massive issue this year. didn't seem to be any attempt to stop it.

everyone has a right to see the show, a photographer has no divine right to see more than anyone else, and sometimes we need to get over ourselves and respect everyone.

I'll add to this as someone who gets there early for arrivals and in the FRIAT enclosure. I don't take steps or tripod into Fairford, but I take my 'airshow seat' in with me unless I'm in the FRIAT grandstand. Even on the front row, during arrivals days, you can't see/take photos over the metal fence (P and V East) unless you're stood up. In the FRIAT enclosure, you can't really photograph take offs and much of the flying because the rope gets in front of your lens if trying it from a sedentary position.

I usually attend with a friend of mine. He shoots video, I shoot stills. We have a good working relationship to help prevent situations where he is in my shot, or me in his video. No argy-bargey with anyone around us. Sometimes, we're going to be in someone elses shot if they are stood or trying to sit behind us. Can't do a lot about that I'm afraid. It's the challenge of trying to make the best of what you can. Win on the swings, but often lose on the slides.
Now officially qualifies as a 'regular' at Famous Dave's - El Centro

danspuggti

Post by danspuggti »

Myself and the wife have only been FRIAT members for the past 5 years (although I've attended IAT/RIAT for over 30 years and shes's done every show in the 16 years we've been together) but even we have seen the difference over the last couple of years with peoples attitude to the 'grandstand etiquette'.
The FRIAT team used to be very good at not letting people back into the grandstand whilst a display was taking place but saw none of that 'policing' this year.
Only last year if you even thought of standing up during a display you'd get told to sit down and if that didn't work someone would throw something at you!

I think it is still primarily an enthusiasts enclosure (and lets face it 9 out of 10 people now days own a camera and take pictures/video even if it is just with their phone camera) but due to the subtle price differences between a weekends (2-3 days) worth of admission tickets combined with say the viewing village enclosure for the duration the FRIAT packages are are VERY attractive alternative for not much more money for 'general' airshow attendee.
We've certainly seen a lot more families with children (7-10 year olds at a guess) in the enclosure the last couple of years than what we used to when we first joined (not that that's a bad thing and they weren't causing any issues that I noticed).

Although it doesn't affect me directly I would like to see the disabled/wheelchair enclosures policed better (not the FRIAT enclosure one as that seemed to be ok this year with the no standing rule).
Now I know that all disabilities aren't visible etc etc and that's not an argument I want to get into, but I would have thought that they would have been 'seated' enclosures especially with wheelchair users in them.
However after seeing someone (who happily delcared to everyone around that they had a "gammy leg" so couldn't walk far) stood up literally all day right at the front of the enclosure taking photographs (with wheelchair users sat around them) and then to see a mobility scooter user 'rising like Lazarus' (after previously barely being able to move) and stand up on their scooter (so effectively stood on a small step) thus blocking everyones view behind them (even though they were right at the front of the enclosure) everytime something took off/landed I think someone needs to police them better.
That or I need to go in myself and reap some of the enclosures apparent 'healing properties' :lol:

Parking - Great getting in all days however Saturday especially was a nightmare getting out!
Granted that so many people trying to leave at the same time is never going to be smooth and easy going but in my opinion until they make it impossible for people to drive across the car parks thus forming 6-7 queues that then somehow have to merge into 1 maybe 2 lanes (with nobody giving way to anyone else) and marshals just stood there doing nothing to help the situation it's never going to get any better.

For me the show itself (averaging everything out) was ok.

Although not beyond impossible, if someone had of said to me at the end of the 2018 show that at a single UK airshow in 2019 I will see a Mig-21, SU-27 and a pair of Harriers flying I'd have thought they were mad!

Friday nobody could do anything about (the great British summer :wall: )
Saturdays display was excellent. Loved the Red's and Patrouille France 'Concorde' formations and the Red's & 747 flypasts.
Sundays display would have been ok if there wasn't such a vast difference to Saturday (it would have been very disappointing if for any reason the Harriers, SU-27 & Mig-21 couldn't fly).

Needless to say our FRIAT renewal forms have already been handed in, hotel has been booked and the annual leave forms have gone in at work ready for 2020 :cool:
Same old sh*t.............just happening on a different day!!!

Woodster

Post by Woodster »

Thought I’d add my thoughts on issues or shall we say things that can be improved...

Entry Points
I’m not usually one who minds queuing as usually it’s a good chance to chat and meet new people. However, as the years roll by the queue seems to grow more and more.
The security and scanning is comical at best. Scanning should be done at the entrances if your in a car so you can park up straight away. A simple security checkpoint before you queue for the entrance gates would assist in getting people into the show grounds quicker, that way your scanned and checked without hassle.

Traders
Every year the list of aviation related traders slowly disappear. This year it’s was filled with some better traders but the big loss of Squadron Prints will hurt us more than we know. A stalwart at many air shows for many years and their decision to stop trading at the biggest airshow is a sign of the times.
We are now expected to get half cut on local gin and vodka and buy a polo shirt that has buttons made with Tornado parts for shy of £100! What happened to good old fashioned aviation t-shirts for a tenner!
Food prices are still on par with Dubai and Singapore so again needs serious attention.
Note to RIAT - if you want families to attend then make it cost friendly.

Tickets
Refer to line above. Make it cost friendly. Review pricing and maybe offer incentives to make visitors come back again. Prices increase each year and charging full price for Friday is diabolical considering what you get. If your charging full price then give the public a full show and at least open the green zone.

Exiting the Showground
I mirror all other comments. Exiting the red car park was the worst I’ve seen in the last 10 years I’ve been going. Marshall’s were pointless as non existent.
We decided to delay our exit on Saturday too because the silly bird on the tannoy kept telling everyone not to rush as there were big queues and stay and visit other areas. :dizzy:
We did this and viewed more static that we missed on a Friday but no sooner had she finished waffling did you have the testosterone fuel cadets getting up in your face asking you to leave. :mad: Bear in mind these were the same people walking about the static all day like peacocks so they already annoyed half of the photographers throughout the day walking in front of their shots :lmao: .
This needs addressing as most people are already exiting the showground or heading that way.

Overall I enjoyed RIAT, you will always get a decent flying display. You cannot predict the weather even though RIAT seem to have a curse on their weekend.
Basically they need to reshuffle the pack and look at what works and what doesn’t.
This years Marketing team was a lesson on how not to do it and needs resolving.
Will 2020 be any better? I know one thing, what used to warrant a whole weekend has me thinking I may just make it a one day affair.
:cuppa:

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

My only real complaints are about the Swindon shuttle bus. It is a great service, but after the show the line is brutal. 5/6 buses at a time lined up and only one boarding at a time.

Managed to run on the Sunday from Pimms and get there before any queues started though. On the bus and got to my seat, only to see a mile long queue within seconds starting to take shape.

Other small complaint, nothing to do with the show itself. First train from Bristol on Sunday gets you into the airfield very close to show start by the time you get to the Swindon bus station. Maybe RIAT could work with train companies to get a couple of extra trains running early morning like Cosford does.

austinp

Post by austinp »

Woodster wrote:Thought I’d add my thoughts on issues or shall we say things that can be improved...

Traders
Every year the list of aviation related traders slowly disappear. This year it’s was filled with some better traders but the big loss of Squadron Prints will hurt us more than we know. A stalwart at many air shows for many years and their decision to stop trading at the biggest airshow is a sign of the times.

:cuppa:

Oh no! They seemed to be doing a cracking trade.

Why aren’t they attending and where did you hear this?

Sad loss for sure.

FlankerPhoto

Post by FlankerPhoto »

They confirmed it themselves, the logistical nightmare of getting a fair amount of kit down to Fairford has taken it's toll over the years. Completely understandable.

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Just to show how much RIAT has lost its soul just need to look at this image from 2005.

https://www.google.com/search?q=riat+20 ... k5coM&rp=1

Not one ice cream truck, wine tasting stall, portaloo, ferris wheel or junk!

CJS

Post by CJS »

It's from 2006. Also, the third photo among in that Google search clearly has an ice cream van in it. And where did people wee? There aren't any loos in that particular shot, but obviously there were plenty there.

Granted the aircraft in the photo you link to are pretty cool but again, you don't have to go back far to have seen most of them.

This is 13 years ago remember - that's a long old time in the history of most air forces. Think of the changes to ours in that time and it's hardly surprising that RIAT has changed too.

I'm not saying it wasn't "better" then - I still think the best RIAT I've been to (in terms of variety) was my first in 2007 - but it just could not be the same now, however hard DBH tried.

I'm not saying they don't make mistakes - they certainly did this year - but what actually ends up coming is less their fault I think.
You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

2005 ?
When I clicked on that link it was all for 2013 ! :dizzy:

Partaloos for 2005?
Yep, those were the days when there was inadequate provision of them, where if you did need to use them you'd have to stand in queues longer than the Blue entrance at 07:00hrs and where they were rarely - if ever - emptied.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다