RIAT 2019 - Issues

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
Post Reply
User avatar
mavvymoo
Posts: 137
Joined: Thu 27 Nov 2014, 6:33 pm

Re: RIAT 2019 - Issues

Post by mavvymoo »

Noticed a distinct amount of people popping up in random seats this year too, often halfway across the grandstand from their allocated..

Noticed a lot of that plus tickets being used by multiple people... :whistle:


Being newbies to FRIAT this year I didn't notice this - particularly as we were surrounded by empty seats - even more so on Saturday and Sunday, so I guess they were all concentrated towards the centre of the stand with presumably a better line of shot for the Apache and the wall of fire.

I did keep Mrs MM up to date with runway movements etc as she had her face buried in the back of her camera admiring her handiwork - I thought we spoke at conversational or whisper levels so I'm sorry if I disturbed anyone else. :worship: however I'll refer back to the comment above - we had hardly anyone sitting around us most of the weekend.
Famed for appearing to put my foot in it, read my post with the voice of Stewie Griffin if it offended you first time

phantomphan92
Posts: 44
Joined: Fri 22 Jan 2016, 11:42 am

Re: RIAT 2019 - Issues

Post by phantomphan92 »

All in all it was another good experience, 4th year of being FRIAT again after several years of absence due to my sons age, thought 5 days was a bit much until he got a bit older, however he loves it now and the FRIAT package really helps us enjoy the show, not just because of the stand and all the benefits of watching the show but we find having the enclosure as a retreat is great for when the wife and boy want to wonder off for a bit and leave me to it, knowing where to find me when they’re back. The lack of queuing for toilets and food is a great help too so our reasons for doing FRIAT every year are maybe different to others. I do echo the points made about people moving around during displays though, we had a guy in our row who constantly ran up and down for food and drinks and what ever else almost deliberately when something was on the runway having sat there for 5 - 10 minutes doing nothing beforehand. By Sunday afternoon my wife finally lost it with him and when he came up trying to get in just as something was rolling she told him to park his arse on the steps until it had finished haha. It bothers me more because I know that my son is still of an age where he sits and watches for an hour or so but then wants to go stretch his legs for a bit, because of that we always ask for an aisle seat so him and the wife can leave quickly and easily without disrupting anyone and return in the same manner. I would like to think that he’s well behaved in the stand and is always very careful about when to leave and come back, makes it so frustrating that he knows the etiquette and follows it whilst grown men don’t. Not sure what else FRIAT staff can do about the small number of people who do it but I agree it seemed to worse this year where we were sat. Like I say though, on the whole it was another good experience, enjoyed the whole week and renewal form already in - albeit just me and the boy next year as the wife has something else on, be interesting to see how much time I have in the stand when it’s just the two of us!

User avatar
Ewart
Posts: 353
Joined: Sun 24 Nov 2013, 1:04 pm

Re: RIAT 2019 - Issues

Post by Ewart »

Mavvymoo you had to be at the very Western end of the enclosure to capture the Apache wall of fire.

I doubt from the Western end of the grandstand you would have caught the wall of fire.

My thoughts on the show:

Well I've been going to Fairford since I was about 4, I'm 31 now. I've missed probably 3 Fairford's in this time.

I didn't go last year and I don't do Facebook, I've also managed to stay off the RIAT type threads online. So I turned up this year not expecting anything and hoping for that buzz I used to have spotting tails as the car approaches the fence and heads into the car park.

I had FRIAT Mach2 tickets and was seated around the 170 area.

However in the weeks before and driving to the base on Saturday morning I had no buzz, no excitement or anything like that over attending the airshow.

However I feel this maybe not DBH's fault. I just feel I'm jaded about air shows, saturated maybe.

Su-27's - seen them before
Mig-21's - seen them before etc etc.

Nothing that I haven't seen before, so what is there to really get me excited?

Well the Quatar C-17 was nice and worth walking through, but I would have been more excited to see it on a day out spotting as an unexpected treat.

It really came to a point when back at our lodgings on Saturday evening I'm flicking through the programme and say to my dad 'seems the USAF MC-130 didn't turn up.'

His reply, 'we stood in front of it for five minutes chatting to the crew.'

It was then the penny dropped I was looking but not seeing, I've become blasé about the whole experience. I don't collect numbers and my photography mojo has been lacking for the past year, although that maybe due to having a child in December.

Then the RAF A400 was in exactly the same situation as the USAF MC-130, I didn't realise it was there until departures on Monday.

I always enjoy departures and if I could buy a FRIAT Mach 0.9 ticket to do the Monday only I would. Must remember though my ear plugs, not for the noisy planes, but for the rolling commentary from at least three people behind me. I can see that Phantoms are rolling etc etc. It's sort of expected at Fairford, not like the excitement of being out 'in the wild'. I don't need someone to tell me every single moment in monotone stereo from crowd rear.

I've told my old man that I'm likely to give next year a miss, maybe even the year after. Hopefully a few years out will give me some mojo back, a bit of excitement.

I took the wife to her first airshow at Rhyl (don't judge me) the other year, to watch her excitement as the RAFAT passed and crossed is something I haven't had for a long while. That to me is what's missing.

On the plus side BOAC schemed 747 was delightful, Reds to me were better on the Saturday than Sunday whilst the PdF held no excitement for me at all.
Last edited by Ewart on Fri 26 Jul 2019, 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FlankerPhoto
Posts: 584
Joined: Tue 25 Jun 2019, 3:43 pm

Re: RIAT 2019 - Issues

Post by FlankerPhoto »

Must have been bad, there wasn't an RAF A400M in attendance. :tongue:

User avatar
Ewart
Posts: 353
Joined: Sun 24 Nov 2013, 1:04 pm

Re: RIAT 2019 - Issues

Post by Ewart »

FlankerPhoto wrote:Must have been bad, there wasn't an RAF A400M in attendance. :tongue:


However when I write A--400 it seems to autocorrect to A400M

A400, A400

FlankerPhoto
Posts: 584
Joined: Tue 25 Jun 2019, 3:43 pm

Re: RIAT 2019 - Issues

Post by FlankerPhoto »

Ewart wrote:
FlankerPhoto wrote:Must have been bad, there wasn't an RAF A400M in attendance. :tongue:


However when I write A--400 it seems to autocorrect to A400M

A400M, A400M

Wasn't having a dig,

Only the Luftwaffe & Airbus Defence & Space had examples present this year. :smile:

User avatar
Ewart
Posts: 353
Joined: Sun 24 Nov 2013, 1:04 pm

Re: RIAT 2019 - Issues

Post by Ewart »

FlankerPhoto wrote:
Ewart wrote:
FlankerPhoto wrote:Must have been bad, there wasn't an RAF A400M in attendance. :tongue:


However when I write A--400 it seems to autocorrect to A400M

A400M, A400M

Wasn't having a dig,

Only the Luftwaffe & Airbus Defence & Space had examples present this year. :smile:


I think you've proved my point about me not taking any interest in the show.

I wasn't even on about an A400, I meant the Voyager.
Now where is that face palm smilie.

User avatar
Tmyers123
Posts: 1068
Joined: Thu 03 May 2018, 6:05 pm
Location: West Yorkshire

Re: RIAT 2019 - Issues

Post by Tmyers123 »

Ewart wrote:However when I write A--400 it seems to autocorrect to A400M

A400M, A400M


Because that’s what it’s called. :grin:

FlankerPhoto
Posts: 584
Joined: Tue 25 Jun 2019, 3:43 pm

Re: RIAT 2019 - Issues

Post by FlankerPhoto »

Ewart wrote:
FlankerPhoto wrote:
Ewart wrote:
FlankerPhoto wrote:Must have been bad, there wasn't an RAF A400M in attendance. :tongue:


However when I write A--400 it seems to autocorrect to A400M

A400M, A400M

Wasn't having a dig,

Only the Luftwaffe & Airbus Defence & Space had examples present this year. :smile:


I think you've proved my point about me not taking any interest in the show.

I wasn't even on about an A400M, I meant the Voyager.
Now where is that face palm smilie.

:grin:

IATthenRIAT
Posts: 503
Joined: Sat 23 Jun 2018, 2:05 am

Re: RIAT 2019 - Issues

Post by IATthenRIAT »

When the A400 came over with those four other little planes (yes I know blades) I didn't even bother picking my camera up or watching them come over - I was more interested in watching a butterfly on the grass flying about - I think that sums them up.

vbombers2
Posts: 113
Joined: Fri 20 Jan 2012, 10:08 am

Re: RIAT 2019 - Issues

Post by vbombers2 »

IATthenRIAT wrote:When the A400M came over with those four other little planes (yes I know blades) I didn't even bother picking my camera up or watching them come over - I was more interested in watching a butterfly on the grass flying about - I think that sums them up.


Bit harsh! But they could have done more than one pass.

User avatar
Tmyers123
Posts: 1068
Joined: Thu 03 May 2018, 6:05 pm
Location: West Yorkshire

Re: RIAT 2019 - Issues

Post by Tmyers123 »

vbombers2 wrote:Bit harsh! But they could have done more than one pass.


I’m glad they didn’t in all honesty, it wasn’t anything special and it was bad enough hearing the cringeworthy commentary for one pass. It was just odd how much the commentary was hyping up such a mundane flypast.

IATthenRIAT
Posts: 503
Joined: Sat 23 Jun 2018, 2:05 am

Re: RIAT 2019 - Issues

Post by IATthenRIAT »

There was a RAF c17 that was returning to Brize at 1.20 the control tower could so easily have requested a fly through, that would not have caused too much trouble to the flight and would have been quite cool.

cg_341
Posts: 1814
Joined: Sun 09 Aug 2015, 1:39 pm

Re: RIAT 2019 - Issues

Post by cg_341 »

IATthenRIAT wrote:that would not have caused too much trouble to the flight

Yes, it would have.

IATthenRIAT
Posts: 503
Joined: Sat 23 Jun 2018, 2:05 am

Re: RIAT 2019 - Issues

Post by IATthenRIAT »

cg_341 wrote:
IATthenRIAT wrote:that would not have caused too much trouble to the flight

Yes, it would have.



Care to explain please.

User avatar
DerekF
Posts: 4693
Joined: Sun 07 Sep 2008, 7:54 am
Location: Handforth, Cheshire, UK

Re: RIAT 2019 - Issues

Post by DerekF »

It might have been carrying ammunition, casualties or any number of things where a flyby would have been inappropriate, not to mention asking a crew to participate in airshow after a 6 or 7 hour flight....

Richard E
Posts: 363
Joined: Sun 31 Aug 2008, 3:47 pm

Re: RIAT 2019 - Issues

Post by Richard E »

pbeardmore wrote:Sorry if you think that was insulting people but just because people are volunteering does not justify poor service . (are the security staff volunteers?) Back to the point re lowering the costs to a mimimum. Sometimes, you have to invest in professionals to get a profesional quality of service.


I think one year they used volunteers to run the security checks (possibly 2002?) and my experience of the process was a text book example of "give someone an iota of power and...…" I still remember being told (not asked) to take my hat off so they could check inside the lining

User avatar
Wissam24
UKAR Staff
Posts: 7627
Joined: Mon 29 Apr 2013, 9:54 am
Location: London

Re: RIAT 2019 - Issues

Post by Wissam24 »

Tmyers123 wrote:
vbombers2 wrote:Bit harsh! But they could have done more than one pass.


I’m glad they didn’t in all honesty, it wasn’t anything special and it was bad enough hearing the cringeworthy commentary for one pass. It was just odd how much the commentary was hyping up such a mundane flypast.


Yes, it was embarassing
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016

IATthenRIAT
Posts: 503
Joined: Sat 23 Jun 2018, 2:05 am

Re: RIAT 2019 - Issues

Post by IATthenRIAT »

DerekF wrote:It might have been carrying ammunition, casualties or any number of things where a flyby would have been inappropriate, not to mention asking a crew to participate in airshow after a 6 or 7 hour flight....


It all depended on different factors as you say - but It would have been no harm the control tower asking as it was only a matter of minutes away and with the flying time between FFD and Brize being about 5 mins - if none of the things you mentioned had been a factor then cant see what the harm would have been.
Like I say it was just another of those "What Ifs"

User avatar
harkins
Posts: 1091
Joined: Tue 11 Jun 2013, 9:17 pm
Location: Stockport

Re: RIAT 2019 - Issues

Post by harkins »

Slightly random issue but, why the useless taps on the water bowsers? In this time of environmental awareness it seems wrong to lose around half the water when trying to refill your bottle. It was like trying to fill it from a garden sprinkler.

User avatar
CJS
Posts: 7190
Joined: Thu 15 Jul 2010, 3:30 pm
Location: Hogwarts

Re: RIAT 2019 - Issues

Post by CJS »

Wissam24 wrote:
Tmyers123 wrote:
vbombers2 wrote:Bit harsh! But they could have done more than one pass.


I’m glad they didn’t in all honesty, it wasn’t anything special and it was bad enough hearing the cringeworthy commentary for one pass. It was just odd how much the commentary was hyping up such a mundane flypast.


Yes, it was embarassing


Don't be so kind Sam.

It was the worst bit of commentary I've ever heard. Total nonsense, even if his job was to big it up.

He didn't big it up, he cocked it up.
"Forewarned is forearmed"
How do you know I didn't?

User avatar
CJS
Posts: 7190
Joined: Thu 15 Jul 2010, 3:30 pm
Location: Hogwarts

Re: RIAT 2019 - Issues

Post by CJS »

IATthenRIAT wrote:
DerekF wrote:It might have been carrying ammunition, casualties or any number of things where a flyby would have been inappropriate, not to mention asking a crew to participate in airshow after a 6 or 7 hour flight....


It all depended on different factors as you say - but It would have been no harm the control tower asking as it was only a matter of minutes away and with the flying time between FFD and Brize being about 5 mins - if none of the things you mentioned had been a factor then cant see what the harm would have been.
Like I say it was just another of those "What Ifs"


The control tower aren't in the business of asking close by military assets if they wouldn't mind nipping over for a quick flypast, they're trying to safely run an airshow.
"Forewarned is forearmed"
How do you know I didn't?

IATthenRIAT
Posts: 503
Joined: Sat 23 Jun 2018, 2:05 am

Re: RIAT 2019 - Issues

Post by IATthenRIAT »

CJS wrote:
IATthenRIAT wrote:
DerekF wrote:It might have been carrying ammunition, casualties or any number of things where a flyby would have been inappropriate, not to mention asking a crew to participate in airshow after a 6 or 7 hour flight....


It all depended on different factors as you say - but It would have been no harm the control tower asking as it was only a matter of minutes away and with the flying time between FFD and Brize being about 5 mins - if none of the things you mentioned had been a factor then cant see what the harm would have been.
Like I say it was just another of those "What Ifs"


The control tower aren't in the business of asking close by military assets if they wouldn't mind nipping over for a quick flypast, they're trying to safely run an airshow.



Just an idea mate - would have been far more intersting than the A400/blades flypast.

cg_341
Posts: 1814
Joined: Sun 09 Aug 2015, 1:39 pm

Re: RIAT 2019 - Issues

Post by cg_341 »

Don't forget the crew and official signoffs required.

pb643
Posts: 853
Joined: Mon 01 Sep 2008, 7:31 am

Re: RIAT 2019 - Issues

Post by pb643 »

harkins wrote:Slightly random issue but, why the useless taps on the water bowsers? In this time of environmental awareness it seems wrong to lose around half the water when trying to refill your bottle. It was like trying to fill it from a garden sprinkler.


Absolutely! Everyone I used, appeared to have been equipped with the worse possible tap design you could imagine for the job. Utterly bizarre.

Did anyone else notice the water refilling rules? Only so many bottles could be filled at any one visit! It's a good job it wasn't hot or there could have been bottle rage!

Post Reply