RIAT 2020 - CANCELLED

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
boff180
UKAR Staff

Re: RIAT 2020

Post by boff180 »

It’s a Farnborough year, the DoD regularly send a bomber asset to undertake a fly over during the trade days.

With that in mind, I’d actually put a big tick in the “quite likely” box of a flying US bomber at RIAT. Although I would admit I consider a B-52 more likely than a B-1.

Andy

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

2012, 2014, 2016, 2018 were Farnborough years we didn't get a flypast then, why would this year be any different?

To be fair we did get the buff on static in 2012 & 2018 :up:

CJS

Post by CJS »

Airshowhammer wrote:2012, 2014, 2016, 2018 were Farnborough years we didn't get a flypast then, why would this year be any different?

To be fair we did get the buff on static in 2012 & 2018 :up:

No US bomber flypast in 2018 eh... :ninja: :ghost:

There was a static Lancer in 2018 too. Did you actually go? :lol:
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

CJS wrote:No US bomber flypast in 2018 eh... :ninja: :ghost:

Thats why they call it stealth
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale

Witchcraft24

Post by Witchcraft24 »

Does anybody know if the POLAF or Slovaks are planning a MIG29 display this year ? Or have we seen the last of this iconic jet in the flying display?

benji1867

Post by benji1867 »

Witchcraft24 wrote:Does anybody know if the POLAF or Slovaks are planning a MIG29 display this year ? Or have we seen the last of this iconic jet in the flying display?

From what ive heard from someone in Slovakia the Slovaks currently struggle to keep 3 serviceable at any one time so i imagine its slim from them and the issues the Polish have had with theirs is well documented. Id love to be proven wrong but i just cant see it happening.

Ben

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

Domvickery wrote:
CJS wrote:No US bomber flypast in 2018 eh... :ninja: :ghost:

Thats why they call it stealth

Forgot about it, it was over that quick!

Static Lancer didn't attend Farnborough.

Neither had anything to do with it being a Farnborough year?

vulcanshammer

Post by vulcanshammer »

Air Tractor from Jordan today?
The sooner the world runs out of cotton wool the better

Pringles

Post by Pringles »

We have begun communicating with Austrian Joint Forces Command who plan to send an aircraft for static display at RIAT 2020. We will bring you more news once the details are formally confirmed.

The Heavy Airlift Wing, based at Pápa Air Base in Hungary, have also communicated their intent to return. We expect their participation will be confirmed in the Spring.

We have received news from the Slovenian Air Force that they plan to support RIAT 2020.

Last week we hosted staff from the RAF Aerobatic Team, to discuss aspects of their participation at RIAT 2020. We discussed the possibility of special flypasts to ensure visitors coming on all days we to see something special in the skies over Fairford. We await the formal confirmation of their attendance from the RAF Air Events Team...

Nothing confirmed this week, but nice to see detail of some more ongoing discussions
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic

edhunter

Post by edhunter »

czech rep is flashing as ongoing which is interesting.

JJC

Post by JJC »

Interesting update and I’m so pleased to see the in-depth updates return. It gives some life and vibrancy to the buildup which hasn’t been seen in the recent past.

Would like to see the Austrian 105 solo again if it’s still about, superb little display from a diminutive type. Sounds like static only from Austria at the moment though.
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''

FlankerPhoto

Post by FlankerPhoto »

https://www.airtattoo.com/airshow/visit ... zoneupdate

International teams parked at the Western end. :up:

vulcanshammer

Post by vulcanshammer »

edhunter wrote:czech rep is flashing as ongoing which is interesting.

Guessing someone meant to be clicking Slovenia hit Czech Republic instead...?
The sooner the world runs out of cotton wool the better

BossMann

Post by BossMann »

Apologies if missed earlier but massive congrats to Peter Reoch on being the new RIAT head of air ops !

Did a great job with RAF Cosford so RIAT should be great

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

These announcements are great. I feel like there's an airshow round the corner, and its only February!

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

Wrexham Mackem wrote:These announcements are great. I feel like there's an airshow round the corner, and its only February!

I have to agree. Even though today wasn't an announcement as such, it's nice to get an update of sorts. Feels nice to be included

Paul_Reflex

Post by Paul_Reflex »

It’ll be interesting to hear what effect this more transparent approach has on the discussion at the FRIAT forum in April.

Wryneck

Post by Wryneck »

FlankerPhoto wrote:https://www.airtattoo.com/airshow/visiting/air-tattoo-blog/n/2020/feb/20/update-from-our-ceo-green-zone-developments?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=greenzoneupdate

How is that a good thing?

The best area of the airfield with the tree-lined back drop for static photography, now taken up with the display teams "so you can watch them taxi in and out" :dizzy:

f'ing marvellous when it continues "In addition to aircraft parking, further developments on the western airfield include Activity Zone improvements and the new Family Enclosure with free activities for children." - so even more of a balls up to the west end :wall: :mad: :mad:

FlankerPhoto

Post by FlankerPhoto »

As I understand it, the teams will be positioned where the fighters were in 2015/16, which certainly wasn't the tree lined area!

You'll notice it mentions the pedestrian entrance from the off base Green Car Park, which can be seen to run through the active pan in the picture, hence the requirement to move it.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Not sure its going to improve the running of the flying display. You take the items that take the longest to taxi around and position and place them in the one position where they have to use part of the runway (3000 feet of it) to taxi stopping any other fixed wing types operating at that time. Sure getting them off the runway will be quicker. Unless of course the flying display will be so cleverly arranged a helicopter will precede each team display?

All based on more common westerly airflow of course. Otherwise its quicker to take off, more of a pain after they land and the helicopter display would need to follow. :grin:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Light Chop

Post by Light Chop »

Wryneck wrote:
FlankerPhoto wrote:https://www.airtattoo.com/airshow/visiting/air-tattoo-blog/n/2020/feb/20/update-from-our-ceo-green-zone-developments?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=greenzoneupdate

The best area of the airfield with the tree-lined back drop for static photography, now taken up with the display teams "so you can watch them taxi in and out" :dizzy:

f'ing marvellous when it continues "In addition to aircraft parking, further developments on the western airfield include Activity Zone improvements and the new Family Enclosure with free activities for children." - so even more of a balls up to the west end :wall: :mad: :mad:

I believe they’re intending to use the big loop for the display teams; the area where that famous line headed by the B-1 was in 1999. Therefore, the tree-lined area will be utilised for the static.

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

Light Chop wrote:
Wryneck wrote:

I believe they’re intending to use the big loop for the display teams; the area where that famous line headed by the B-1 was in 1999. Therefore, the tree-lined area will be utilised for the static.

Or more likely, a car park :sad: :grin:

Otherwise correct. The area being proposed for the display teams is where the fighters (mainly F-16s, plus the French Mirage pair) were parked in 2016:

by Gordon Duncan, on Flickr
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

I wonder if their decision to do this is to get more people down that end of the airfield as the middle to east parts are now all clogged up with loads of enclosures and any clear part of viewing is completely chokka block very early.
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

The close access to the western flightline worked very well in 2016 I thought, so that's a big thumbs up from me in getting it back.

I'm a bit.. maybe uncomfortable is too strong a word.. but the words around encouraging families, youngsters, the next generation, free entry for under-18s, are all to be wholeheartedly agreed with, as is catering for those with young families in a section of the western crowd line. But in the next breath, telling those families that these new free fun enhancements to their day out are in a pay-to-enter, extra charge enclosure. I mean, which is it? There was nothing to stop family friendly extra attractions being placed in that end and encouraging families to use it. I know its a charity event that has to generate revenue, and a premium event, but it does have a whiff of profiteering about this one, contrary to one of its stated objectives. I've just checked and for a family of four, Saturday only, no programme, in the family enclosure, just shy of 250 quid.. "a fun filled day, with the backdrop of an airshow". Hmm.

spellow3010

Post by spellow3010 »

Without a specific confirmed aircraft announcement, I thought the update yesterday was really quite good, so well done DBH. I liked the detail they issued relating to the ongoing discussions and like Dom said, it does feel like there is something being planned in a coherent manner. Not the happy clappy trappy stuff we got last year. I also approve of the display team parking announcement... Hopefully, that could lead to some more of the single display acts operating from the east end of Red, where the pit zone was, or is? It always feels a bit... you know... anti-social of so many fast jets (the main display jet, AND the spare) to be parked over on the north side, away from view.

Canadian special blue and white Hornet from a couple of years ago says hello, just to make my point. :up:

Anything that brings us collectively closer to viewing the aircraft that help to make up the show is a good thing...
Now officially qualifies as a 'regular' at Famous Dave's - El Centro