RIAT 2020 - CANCELLED

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
Streffo123

Re: RIAT 2020

Post by Streffo123 »

No it’s Not. There are a lot of people in this thread who have a lot of hope for this show. If you can’t see that, you should leave. I don’t think people who want the show to continue like to hear their dreams being crushed by information that hasn’t been confirmed by the organisers, just their silly conclusions. I’m sick of hearing that the show isn’t going ahead. There is no official statement so please stop going on about it

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Paul_Reflex wrote: how on earth would this show take place? Who would participate in it? Italy or Spain perhaps? .

If it helped keep the show going i'd gladly take this one on the chin and watch a couple of warbirds and the Red Arrows.

Paul_Reflex

Post by Paul_Reflex »

Streffo123, That’s just the point, the organisers know full well that it’s a non starter. They are the ones who are stringing you along. These aren’t silly conclusions, they are based on reality and reason. I can understand why you are upset though, your use of language (dreams being crushed) illustrates how invested you are and I’m sorry to be bringing you down. I get it, RIAT has been the highlight of my year for a long time and I have nearly £300 tied up already in this years show.

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

Paul_Reflex wrote:Streffo123, That’s just the point, the organisers know full well that it’s a non starter. They are the ones who are stringing you along. These aren’t silly conclusions, they are based on reality and reason. I can understand why you are upset though, your use of language (dreams being crushed) illustrates how invested you are and I’m sorry to be bringing you down. I get it, RIAT has been the highlight of my year for a long time and I have nearly £300 tied up already in this years show.

Yep and the longer they keep quiet, the more people think it's happening buy tickets that riat don't have to refund. Easy money in the bank.
What do you call a horse that lives nextdoor?? - A Neigh-bour!
Whisky Connoisseur

Jameslw1993

Post by Jameslw1993 »

Streffo123 wrote:No it’s Not. There are a lot of people in this thread who have a lot of hope for this show. If you can’t see that, you should leave. I don’t think people who want the show to continue like to hear their dreams being crushed by information that hasn’t been confirmed by the organisers, just their silly conclusions. I’m sick of hearing that the show isn’t going ahead. There is no official statement so please stop going on about it

I'm glad there is a few positive people on this thread, the negativity is starting to put me off. People are so keen to write off the show without seeing how this actually plays out for a little more time. Being realistic doesn't mean we always have to look at the worst case scenario.
Fast jet fanatic.

Jameslw1993

Post by Jameslw1993 »

rdchawk wrote:
Paul_Reflex wrote:Streffo123, That’s just the point, the organisers know full well that it’s a non starter. They are the ones who are stringing you along. These aren’t silly conclusions, they are based on reality and reason. I can understand why you are upset though, your use of language (dreams being crushed) illustrates how invested you are and I’m sorry to be bringing you down. I get it, RIAT has been the highlight of my year for a long time and I have nearly £300 tied up already in this years show.

Yep and the longer they keep quiet, the more people think it's happening buy tickets that RIAT don't have to refund. Easy money in the bank.

I can't imagine they have sold many tickets in the last month.
Fast jet fanatic.

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

canard67 wrote:IAT/RIAT has a history of being lucky . Remember the Migs that could have been a disaster . The B2/F-117 that had been printed on the Program that came good 2 weeks before the show. The rained off year they got away with the Royal bit within 2 minutes of a rain storm.
I am starting to get the feeling they might just get away with a show in mid July.

Actually i think it evens out..... i give you the big flyby of 2018, the il28, the mig 21 in 2018, the Shackleton from S.A. , the alleged Tu160, the Be-6 etc.
loads of yins and yans but i think they do basically even each other out.
Got to love Russianhardware

Go4Long

Post by Go4Long »

I will once again stress to all of you doomsayers that there’s not a single person in this thread that hasn’t already come to terms with the fact that it is, at the VERY least, a reasonable thought that it won’t happen. What I’m saying has nothing to do with whether or not it will happen, and everything to do with being sick of hearing people whine, lie, prophesise, claim to have information they don’t have, claim to not have information that they do have, or in general talk about COVID-19.

Honestly, we can all read the news, we all know what’s going on in the world, we all understand the ripples that this is going to cause. So just shut up. Go post in the COVID-19 thread all you want, there’s plenty of room and gloom in there.

I’m not telling you not to express your opinion...I’m telling you to stop expressing it in this thread because you are literally not providing a single drop of information that we all don’t know, or aren’t capable of finding out on our own. So just stop. The last thing we need is more negativity. We all get it, so just shut the heck up.

Paul_Reflex

Post by Paul_Reflex »

You’re absolutely right. I sincerely apologise for my negativity, In truth, I am feeling a bit overwhelmed due to several aggravating factors in my life.

TYPHOON3

Post by TYPHOON3 »

I hate to dash anyone's hopes of the show going ahead, but I've been told today by a very reliable source that DBH have told the printing company to halt printing on RIAT 2020 tickets etc.I was browsing the RIAT website today and got the message 'we are not here right now' .I would love RIAT 2020 to go ahead but alas I highly doubt it.Even if COVID-19 has cleared the UK by July,it may still be present in other countries which would have sent aircraft to participate.
Last edited by TYPHOON3 on Thu 19 Mar 2020, 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Go4Long

Post by Go4Long »

Reading > You

sithrity

Post by sithrity »

TYPHOON3 wrote:I hate to dash anyone's hopes of the show going ahead, but I've been told today by a very reliable source that DBH have told the printing company to halt printing on RIAT 2020 tickets etc.I was browsing the RIAT website today and got the message 'we are not here right now' .I would love RIAT 2020 to go ahead but alas I highly doubt it.Even if COVID19 has cleared the UK by July,it may still be present in other countries which would have sent aircraft to participate.

I've also heard this. Everyone hopes the show goes ahead, but I don't see a problem with people discussing what impact CV19 might have on RIAT, in the RIAT section unless the UKAR Admin tell us otherwise.
I don't know everything there is to know about our hobby.

Kids, aviation, missus then responsibilities, (in that order)

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

What does the Essex-class aircraft carrier the USS Hancock have to do with RIAT?

CJS

Post by CJS »

Is that some sort of military vehicle designation number joke we're all meant to understand?
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

If RIAT does get cancelled, and I can see it happening now.. I'll be disappointed but it is fully understandable. I am hoping that we might see some shows towards the end of the season such as Duxford at end of September. It won't be a decision any show takes lightly, but they seem to be left with little choice.

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

CJS wrote:Is that some sort of military vehicle designation number joke we're all meant to understand?

I thought I'd explained it enough for that to be obvious. It's been a long week, sorry.

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

I am resigned to the show being cancelled. I'm not assuming that we'll get a refund at all, but I would prefer my FRIAT be transferred to 2021 if they would do that. Likewise for Kempsford.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

TYPHOON3 wrote:I hate to dash anyone's hopes of the show going ahead, but I've been told today by a very reliable source that DBH have told the printing company to halt printing on RIAT 2020 tickets etc.I was browsing the RIAT website today and got the message 'we are not here right now' .I would love RIAT 2020 to go ahead but alas I highly doubt it.Even if COVID-19 has cleared the UK by July,it may still be present in other countries which would have sent aircraft to participate.

I’m not doubting the authenticity of the post, but this type of stuff is precisely why RIAT need to get a statement out there ASAP. Cancelling the Thursday update without a peep and the corresponding complete radio silence isn’t a good look.

Even a sort of holding-post would be something - “we know this is a serious issue and other events are being cancelled - we are preparing ourselves for all possibilities and keeping in touch with the relevant authorities [but as things currently stand, the event is still on].”

Just get something out, DBH. Tell people where you stand. Be transparent.

IWM issued a statement on Monday saying that they’re still open as per, and then on Tuesday issued one saying that they were closed, and no one got angry. We all understand that it’s a fluid, ever changing situation. We are tolerant that things change from one day to the next. Stop worrying about bad press and get something out.

Because for every minute of radio silence, dangerous speculation and “good authority” and “mate of a mate of a cousin of a pal of a buddy of a brother of a dude disguised as a dude playing another dude” starts to creep in.

DBH have to control this, and silence is not the way to do it.

CJS

Post by CJS »

G-CVIX wrote:I am resigned to the show being cancelled. I'm not assuming that we'll get a refund at all, but I would prefer my FRIAT be transferred to 2021 if they would do that. Likewise for Kempsford.

It would be easy enough to transfer all existing ticket holders tickets to RIAT 2021, surely?! It's out of their control, I do get that, but that would be in line with other major events (Glasto for one) who are doing the same.

[optimism] That's assuming of course that this year's show is cancelled, maybe it'll go ahead as planned... [optimism/] :tumbleweed:
Buy the sky and sell the sky and lift your arms up to the sky and ask the sky"

Reds Rolling

Post by Reds Rolling »

Finningley Boy wrote:
Reds Rolling wrote:Personally I think the organisers should just cancel it now and be done with it. Concentrate on next year when things have hopefully calmed down.

Here's an original train of thought, why don't we all stop jumping to conclusions, sweeping assessments and general dooming saying? Lets wait and see how things pan out, stop second guessing the organisers and accept what comes.

There are regular updates on Flightline UK listing events postponed or cancelled. Why not settle for what's posted on there and not fuel the self fulfilling prophecy by actually typing advice to cancel. I don't know how much store is placed on forums like this, but I'd hate to think matters may in time change significantly enough well before June and July only for event organisers to jump the gun. The COVID 19 lock down can't last forever without doing more harm than good. On the other hand, signs of reversal are already being reported from Asian countries which have imposed strict measures since February and are now comfortable with relaxing them.

Meanwhile, the stoic British public queue round the bend (there's an expression) to fill up with Bog Rolls and anything they can lay their hands on. Despite how much the Government and others strenuously implore everyone not to do it, because it isn't necessary. They still do it, thoughtlessly and selfishly. Keep calm and carry on? Not in modern Britain.

FB

What? :dizzy: I've posted an opinion of what I think, nothing more. No speculation or jumping to conclusions, so I don't know why you've jumped all over my post when there's others that are actually doing what you say.

I stand by what I said and think the organisers should write this year off. Sorry, if that grates you, but this is a discussion forum, so I'll express my thoughts as and when I please.

FWIW, I have two early bird tickets already booked so obviously have a vested interest in this years show, but that doesn't change my opinion that it should be cancelled.

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

CJS wrote:
G-CVIX wrote:I am resigned to the show being cancelled. I'm not assuming that we'll get a refund at all, but I would prefer my FRIAT be transferred to 2021 if they would do that. Likewise for Kempsford.

It would be easy enough to transfer all existing ticket holders tickets to RIAT 2021, surely?! It's out of their control, I do get that, but that would be in line with other major events (Glasto for one) who are doing the same.

I strongly agree. In the event of cancellation I would very much prefer my FRIAT and Kempsford bookings to simply be carried forward to 2021, rather than the whole process of refunding and rebooking.

play it cool

Post by play it cool »

sithrity wrote:I don't see a problem with people discussing what impact CV19 might have on RIAT, in the RIAT section unless the UKAR Admin tell us otherwise.

Absolutely - it’s undoubtedly the number one priority at DBH, and the main issue regarding all large events this summer. Why on earth wouldn’t we talk about it in relation to RIAT? Do people seriously think the talk should be about what aircraft they’re expecting/hoping for this year?

Best you can hope for is a Glastonbury scenario whereby tickets are rolled over for next year, and, of course, that there’ll be a RIAT next year.

UK Airshow Review
UKAR Staff

Post by UK Airshow Review »

Perhaps unexpectedly, RIAT 2020 has been cancelled.

Link

It is with enormous regret and disappointment that we have to announce the cancellation of this year's Royal International Air Tattoo, due to take place from 17 to 19 July, as a result of the challenging and unprecedented environment presented by COVID-19.

This decision has not been taken lightly and a significant amount of work sits behind this course of action. The crisis, which is worsening by the day, and the implications of which are becoming more profound, has led us to conclude that the most prudent course of action is to cease any further planning to deliver this significant event.

The Air Tattoo is reliant on the support of a wide range of stakeholders, not least the participation of international air arms, medical professionals, military security teams and our Emergency Services, many of whom are delivering a fundamental contribution to fighting this crisis. We believe delivery of our event would distract them from this.

At the heart of this difficult decision is our firm belief that staging the Air Tattoo this year would not only run counter to the current Government advice but would also be beyond what we could reasonably ask of our supporters. We recognise that our decision will have a negative financial impact on our valued suppliers and traders, on the local economy that benefits so much from the large influx of people who arrive in the area for one week in July, as well as on our parent charity. For this we apologise.

We would like to thank all our partners, the RAF, USAF, sponsors, the world's air forces, our amazing volunteers and of course the public who turn up year on year to support our magnificent event. We seek your patience and encouragement over the next few weeks as we plan for the future in order to return in 2021 to celebrate the Air Tattoo's 50th Anniversary.

mark_aviation

Re: RIAT 2020 - CANCELLED

Post by mark_aviation »

It’s the right decision, no one can argue that. But man it’s disappointing. Going to leave a big hole in a lot of peoples summers :sad:

There is also a FAQ page on the website. A key point many will want to know is: Yes, you will be able to apply for a refund or potentially carry over to 2021 what you paid for this year's show. More information about how this is going to work will be communicated over the next few weeks once the process has been finalised.

https://www.airtattoo.com/news/2020/mar ... nformation
Last edited by mark_aviation on Fri 20 Mar 2020, 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

farnboroughrob

Re: RIAT 2020 - CANCELLED

Post by farnboroughrob »

No suprise really, don'e in good time and not last minuite. Even if by June we are coming out of this it leaves no time to organise one of the worlds biggest events. How any air forces will risk sending people here? Covid19 will still be around in July, it is predicted that once lockdown stops there will still be flare ups for months to come and big events could cause that. IT IS NOT THE END OF THE WORLD!! Well not yet anyway.