RIAT 2020 - CANCELLED

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
rockfordstone

Re: RIAT 2020 - CANCELLED

Post by rockfordstone »

HeyfordDave111 wrote:They might expand it, but unless they are going to be able to fill it with even more aircraft, which seems improbable (i'd love to be proved wrong), i cannot see it happening, unfortunately.

i'd rather have a small static display but full of varying planes.
no point extending the static just to put another 2 grey A400's

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

I would just like to see RIAT happen next year, that’s all Iam hoping for!

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

AARDVARK wrote:I would just like to see RIAT happen next year, that’s all Iam hoping for!

seconded

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

AARDVARK wrote:I would just like to see RIAT happen next year, that’s all Iam hoping for!

Absolutely. Despite the email a few weeks ago offering some reassurance that the focus is on 2021, so many reports from those within the science, health and community sector in the last few weeks paint a rather depressing picture for large events and 'mass gatherings', even when the lockdown measures are eased - some reports this week mentioned there will be no resumption in large scale events until Autumn 2021 (speculation). Obviously, the most important thing right now is saving lives and protecting those frontline workers, but with the Air Tattoo having a long lead in any year it's difficult to predict what will happen and the hope of seeing positivity in this seems very low. In addition, the way the economy and countries globally have suffered raises further questions on how the large scale International dynamic of the Air Tattoo will remain when life returns to normal.

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

Flare Path wrote:

Absolutely. Despite the email a few weeks ago offering some reassurance that the focus is on 2021, so many reports from those within the science, health and community sector in the last few weeks paint a rather depressing picture for large events and 'mass gatherings', even when the lockdown measures are eased - some reports this week mentioned there will be no resumption in large scale events until Autumn 2021 (speculation). Obviously, the most important thing right now is saving lives and protecting those frontline workers, but with the Air Tattoo having a long lead in any year it's difficult to predict what will happen and the hope of seeing positivity in this seems very low. In addition, the way the economy and countries globally have suffered raises further questions on how the large scale International dynamic of the Air Tattoo will remain when life returns to normal.

Thats the view I have been seeing - no body can say how things will pan out.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

The best thing RIAT and other shows can do, is plan for the best. Prepare for the worst.

edhunter

Post by edhunter »

Alongside it being RIATS birthday next year why not also have a tigermeet aswell?

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

off topic slightly, but given that there was a "socially distant airshow" hosted in the states via youtube (some of the display teams were actively involved in providing footage), and that Shuttleworth are doing a "virtual airshow", wouldn't it be an idea for RIAT to do something similar to support the charity work it does?

i'm sure some of us would bung a few quid to the cause to watch some reruns of classic displays

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Thank you for your patience. Today we start the process of refunding Air Tattoo 2020 tickets. Please look out for an email with the details of how to do this. We are sending these in batches so you may not receive this until later tomorrow. If you would like to carry over your tickets to 2021 you don’t need to do anything, and this will happen automatically. Many thanks and we hope to see you in 2021, our 50th Anniversary show.

Please see more here: bit.ly/2U6ZFPk

FlankerPhoto

Post by FlankerPhoto »

Instead of a refund can I have a 2021 ticket and will I retain my seat in the Grandstand/FRIAT?
ANS: Yes, if you would like to carry over your tickets to 2021 then you don't need to do anything and thank you!. We will email you by the end of September but don't worry, your tickets are secure. If you booked a Viewing Village Grandstand seat or FRIAT package your seat number will be carried over too.
Confirmation that FRIAT seats will be carried over.

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

I am hoping to upgrade to Mach 2. My hotel has already carried my booking over.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

FlankerPhoto wrote:
Mon 18 May 2020, 2:22 pm
Instead of a refund can I have a 2021 ticket and will I retain my seat in the Grandstand/FRIAT?
ANS: Yes, if you would like to carry over your tickets to 2021 then you don't need to do anything and thank you!. We will email you by the end of September but don't worry, your tickets are secure. If you booked a Viewing Village Grandstand seat or FRIAT package your seat number will be carried over too.
Confirmation that FRIAT seats will be carried over.
good news indeed. i'll be getting my hotel booking done as soon as i can

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Brilliant I don't have to re-book the seat in grandstand. Top row with the isle in front of me so I have a little extra room. :D

Rossbeef

Post by Rossbeef »

Silly question really but is the programme cost carried over as well should you decide to keep your tickets for next year?

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

jasonT1981 wrote:
Mon 18 May 2020, 4:04 pm
Brilliant I don't have to re-book the seat in grandstand. Top row with the isle in front of me so I have a little extra room. :D
How would you know your seat at this stage Jason? They haven’t been allocated - at least to my knowledge. Unless you have such a very low renewal form number you’re confident you’ll get your request..?

Just curious, in case there is a way of knowing that’s passed me by. Wouldn’t be the first time :smile:

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Wrexham Mackem wrote:
Mon 18 May 2020, 6:06 pm
jasonT1981 wrote:
Mon 18 May 2020, 4:04 pm
How would you know your seat at this stage Jason? They haven’t been allocated - at least to my knowledge. Unless you have such a very low renewal form number you’re confident you’ll get your request..?

Just curious, in case there is a way of knowing that’s passed me by. Wouldn’t be the first time :smile:
You choose your seat in advance now when booking your ticket. It's normal price for all but top row, but top row is an extra £5 on it. Though this is for Public grandstand not FRIAT grandstand.

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Oh of course yes. I was thinking FRIAT!

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

Is anyone at all curious how the show will pan out or function next year, I assume there will be some big changes for us all there?

Anyone have any ideas or opinions?

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

You keep asking this, no one knows, wait til next year and find out
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

Domvickery wrote:
Mon 18 May 2020, 9:25 pm
It's an interesting question and far more valid and important than asking what aircraft might turn up, as it affects us all who go.

CJS

Post by CJS »

IATthenRIAT wrote:
Mon 18 May 2020, 9:41 pm
Domvickery wrote:
Mon 18 May 2020, 9:25 pm
It's an interesting question and far more valid and important than asking what aircraft might turn up, as it affects us all who go.
Yes, but as Dom says, no one knows (no one, not DBH, not you, me, no one) so it's a pointless question. I honestly don't know what you expect anyone to say?

You tried a whole thread devoted to the exact same question and look what happened to that...viewtopic.php?f=19&t=85670
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

RAF4EVER

Post by RAF4EVER »

Got an E-mail from RIAT yesterday about my ticket refund,and the options,am going to carry it forward to next year.

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

RAF4EVER wrote:
Tue 19 May 2020, 10:15 am
Got an E-mail from RIAT yesterday about my ticket refund,and the options,am going to carry it forward to next year.
Then you are cordially invited to the UKAR meet-up, usually held by Wonderland models around 9 to 9.30 on Saturday morning. Final details later (much later.)
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

IATthenRIAT wrote:
Mon 18 May 2020, 8:29 pm
Is anyone at all curious how the show will pan out or function next year, I assume there will be some big changes for us all there?

how many times? you've already had one thread locked for asking this.
the simple fact is no one knows but I'm guessing the assumption is by summer next year there will be a vaccine, the virus has burnt out or enough people have had it that it doesn't matter

Finningley Boy

Post by Finningley Boy »

rockfordstone wrote:
Tue 19 May 2020, 4:14 pm
IATthenRIAT wrote:
Mon 18 May 2020, 8:29 pm

how many times? you've already had one thread locked for asking this.
the simple fact is no one knows but I'm guessing the assumption is by summer next year there will be a vaccine, the virus has burnt out or enough people have had it that it doesn't matter
Hear Hear mr, I've received the email advising that I am required to do nothing in order for my tickets to transfer to next year.

IAT then RIAT take each day as it comes, nothing is guaranteed we could be in another world entirely different again by this time next year! We could actually be amidst a full scale war with China by then. Only possibly, so cheer up! :wink:

FB :face_with_monocle:
I have danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings!