RIAT 2020 - CANCELLED

Re: RIAT 2020

Postby capercaillie on Tue 18 Feb 2020, 3:46 pm

jasonT1981 wrote: Vera for the 80th anniversary of Battle of Britain and 75th anniversary of VE Day?

The famous Lancasters in the Battle of Britain, very poignant. :sad: Or are we talking Miss Lynn? :shock:
"The surrogate voice of st24"
capercaillie

Postby capercaillie on Tue 18 Feb 2020, 4:01 pm

Go4Long wrote:
Domvickery wrote:
I do, the US F-16 display last year was god awful, I’d go as far as saying it was one of the worst fast jet displays I’d ever seen

Don’t think that’s fair personally. I can think of two jet displays at the show that were significantly less interesting but given the nod because one was old, and one was old and British.

You've been watching too many episodes of the Simpsons. :whistle:
capercaillie

Postby jasonT1981 on Tue 18 Feb 2020, 4:20 pm

capercaillie wrote:
jasonT1981 wrote: Vera for the 80th anniversary of Battle of Britain and 75th anniversary of VE Day?

The famous Lancasters in the Battle of Britain, very poignant. :sad: Or are we talking Miss Lynn? :shock:

Hasn't stopped the BBMF from using the Lancaster has it? My point was more for war anniversaries in general....Lancaster's played a huge role in winning the war for the allies.
jasonT1981

Postby Go4Long on Tue 18 Feb 2020, 4:42 pm

capercaillie wrote:
Go4Long wrote:
Domvickery wrote:
I do, the US F-16 display last year was god awful, I’d go as far as saying it was one of the worst fast jet displays I’d ever seen

Don’t think that’s fair personally. I can think of two jet displays at the show that were significantly less interesting but given the nod because one was old, and one was old and British.

People raved about the Mig 21 display, but personally I think the F-16 display blew that out of the water. The Mig 21 was cooler to see and I'll give you that...but as a display? the F-16 was much better.

And the Harrier display was cool to see, especially on the Friday when they braved the elements to make for a spectacular landing. But the display wasn't particularly technical, or even really interesting to watch from an aerial perspective. A couple of fast passes and a hover.
Go4Long

Postby G-CVIX on Tue 18 Feb 2020, 5:16 pm

Go4Long wrote:
capercaillie wrote:
Go4Long wrote:
Domvickery wrote:

People raved about the Mig 21 display, but personally I think the F-16 display blew that out of the water. The Mig 21 was cooler to see and I'll give you that...but as a display? the F-16 was much better.

And the Harrier display was cool to see, especially on the Friday when they braved the elements to make for a spectacular landing. But the display wasn't particularly technical, or even really interesting to watch from an aerial perspective. A couple of fast passes and a hover.

I remember nothing of the US F-16 display, apart from a dangerous looking takeoff and the aircraft breaking.

The MiG and the Harriers will be memorable for years to come.

I would broadly say that displays from the USA and Canada do not work in the UK. They are too spaced out, narration heavy, music heavy and lacking in substance, and often too long. I will always be grateful of what is sent over here, and I am aware that we are very lucky to see it. Whether it is our regulations or a difference in style/taste, I don't know, but I rarely find myself absorbed by these displays.
G-CVIX

Postby Wissam24 on Tue 18 Feb 2020, 5:37 pm

G-CVIX wrote:
Go4Long wrote:
capercaillie wrote:
Go4Long wrote:
Domvickery wrote:

I remember nothing of the US F-16 display, apart from a dangerous looking takeoff and the aircraft breaking.

The MiG and the Harriers will be memorable for years to come.

I would broadly say that displays from the USA and Canada do not work in the UK. They are too spaced out, narration heavy, music heavy and lacking in substance, and often too long. I will always be grateful of what is sent over here, and I am aware that we are very lucky to see it. Whether it is our regulations or a difference in style/taste, I don't know, but I rarely find myself absorbed by these displays.

I literally could not agree more except I had forgotten the takeoff as well. The F-22 has a spectacle to it, but every display from NA I've seen otherwise has been utterly uninspiring. The American ones in particular seem to rely entirely on the commentator telling you how excited you are to see the display rather than the display actually making you excited. As Dom said, the USAF F-16 demo last year was dire.

Ok, a caveat - the Canadian CC-130J "flypast" at Yeovilton last year was bonkers!
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | Shamelessly copying LN Strike Eagle's avatar ideas since 2016
Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Postby CJS on Tue 18 Feb 2020, 5:59 pm

Seconded (or possibly thirded, I dunno...)

The Raptor is just awesome, but nothing else at the moment from the US is particularly exciting (the mild backlash from me suggesting the A-10 display wasn't that good the other week would suggest plenty disagree though...).

At my first RIAT in 2007 there were, amongst others, a B-1b and an F-117 flying. I don't recall the Nighthawk's display was much to write home about, but the B-1b's certainly was :shock:

Then again, that might be through rose tinted specs! (Although I think it was actually barrel rolled, so possibly not!)
"Forewarned is forearmed"
How do you know I didn't?
CJS

Postby capercaillie on Tue 18 Feb 2020, 6:01 pm

I think thats a bit unfair.

The A-10 display last time it was over was the best I've ever seen, even from their USAFE display days.

To be honest in the days of USAFE displays the F-15 was always top notch, the F-16s whether from Hahn or Torrejon were always good, yes they lacked the flair of the Dutch or Belgians but were always much tighter than the Stateside displays. Canadian Hornet displays when in Europe were significantly better than the two times I've seen it at Fairford in 2008/2018. Maybe they had more freedom, less regulations?

Our Canadian friend is correct, the MiG was fantastic to see airborne again but lets face it, its a bit loose around the park. Similarly the (ahem) American built Harriers also whilst brilliant to witness were hardly award winning material as a display item. They didn't even manage to hover in front of FRIAT (tut). We're not talking Su27 or Finnish F-18 quality flying.

For those who remember the F-14 displaying at Mildenhall and Boscombe in 1992, again it was great to see the beast in the air, but it took up a lot of sky. To quote our friend once more "People raved about the Mig 21 display, but personally I think the F-16 display blew that out of the water" - I jolly well hope so. :facepalm:
capercaillie

Postby G-CVIX on Tue 18 Feb 2020, 6:19 pm

True, the C-130 demo at Yeovilton was superb.

I recall enjoying the F-22 immensely on its return (2010??) after the cancelled show and the A-10 in 2011, and I will always love and consider US assets a pivotal part of what makes RIAT special, but I do struggle with the style of the flying displays on the whole.
G-CVIX

Postby Chris G on Tue 18 Feb 2020, 9:11 pm

Well i really enjoyed seeing the US Viper display, i'd rather watch that over the Blades any day of the week.
Chris G

Postby tankbuster on Tue 18 Feb 2020, 9:17 pm

Chris G wrote:Well i really enjoyed seeing the US Viper display, i'd rather watch that over the Blades any day of the week.

I thought it was the star of the show, funny how we all see things differently
Trevor C
recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics
tankbuster

Postby Chris G on Tue 18 Feb 2020, 9:32 pm

tankbuster wrote:
Chris G wrote:Well i really enjoyed seeing the US Viper display, i'd rather watch that over the Blades any day of the week.

I thought it was the star of the show, funny how we all see things differently

And seeing that was a major surprise, as pretty much everything else self confirms this was out of the blue.
Chris G

Postby Airshowhammer on Wed 19 Feb 2020, 6:33 am

G-CVIX wrote:True, the C-130 demo at Yeovilton was superb.

Was it? It was only 3 passes from what I recall. Lovely to see though no doubt.

Jumping in with regards the Viper demo, I wouldn't say its the worst demo. The take off and dedication pass were great. Rest of the display i'd admit was a bit high and distant. I thought the Canadian Hornet was worse in 2018. But opinions differ!
Airshowhammer

Postby alans895 on Wed 19 Feb 2020, 6:55 am

I'd agree with that.

The RCAF CF-18 Demo in 2018 was very ordinary.

The RAAF F-18 Demo runs rings around it, with the same safety concerns and restrictions.

The only real positive was the scheme, and another countries participation.

Alan
alans895

Postby Skyflash on Wed 19 Feb 2020, 9:57 am

CJS wrote:Seconded (or possibly thirded, I dunno...)

The Raptor is just awesome, but nothing else at the moment from the US is particularly exciting (the mild backlash from me suggesting the A-10 display wasn't that good the other week would suggest plenty disagree though...).

At my first RIAT in 2007 there were, amongst others, a B-1b and an F-117 flying. I don't recall the Nighthawk's display was much to write home about, but the B-1b's certainly was :shock:

Then again, that might be through rose tinted specs! (Although I think it was actually barrel rolled, so possibly not!)

It barrel-rolled into a bank of low cloud, didn't it? :grin:

It was by far the 'loosest' B-1B display I can ever remember, there was one particularly strange pass when it came arcing in from the right straight over the crowd! :hide:
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...
Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Postby rdchawk on Wed 19 Feb 2020, 10:18 am

Still remember that B-1B barrel roll, couldn't believe my eyes seeing that!
Did you hear about the dyslexic pimp? He bought a ware house!
Proud member of the Silverstone Marshalling Team
rdchawk

Postby duffspeed on Wed 19 Feb 2020, 11:42 am

Anybody know if we can expect to see something from France this year? A Rafale pair would be lovely.
duffspeed

Postby Airshowhammer on Wed 19 Feb 2020, 11:55 am

Any jet in the flying display from France will be most welcome! I wonder if Couteau Delta are back on the scene?

As for the B1, a simple take off still stands out as one of my favourite airshow moments. As a 10 year old kid having never seen one before, I thought it would sound like a passenger aircraft. Boy was I in for a shock :dizzy:
Airshowhammer

Postby bobby 1211 on Wed 19 Feb 2020, 12:25 pm

duffspeed wrote:Anybody know if we can expect to see something from France this year? A Rafale pair would be lovely.

France could send over the Rafale solo or the new tactical demo which consists of two Rafales which has replaced Couteau Delta.
bobby 1211

Postby Go4Long on Wed 19 Feb 2020, 12:31 pm

bobby 1211 wrote:
duffspeed wrote:Anybody know if we can expect to see something from France this year? A Rafale pair would be lovely.

France could send over the Rafale solo or the new tactical demo which consists of two Rafales which has replaced Couteau Delta.

Are you talking about the pair of Rafale M? Because that didn’t replace couteau delta. They’re from the navy, and they attended together with Couteau Delta in 2018.
Last edited by Go4Long on Wed 19 Feb 2020, 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Go4Long

Postby Luigi on Wed 19 Feb 2020, 12:33 pm

Airshowhammer wrote:Any jet in the flying display from France will be most welcome! I wonder if Couteau Delta are back on the scene?

As for the B1, a simple take off still stands out as one of my favourite airshow moments. As a 10 year old kid having never seen one before, I thought it would sound like a passenger aircraft. Boy was I in for a shock :dizzy:

I am very negative about the possibility to see a B-1 again at an Airshow.

I really hope to be wrong on that point.
Luigi

Postby Go4Long on Wed 19 Feb 2020, 12:35 pm

Luigi wrote:
Airshowhammer wrote:Any jet in the flying display from France will be most welcome! I wonder if Couteau Delta are back on the scene?

Never say never. The attendees of red flag last week were treated to a four ship take off for both day and night ops.
Go4Long

Postby Pringles on Wed 19 Feb 2020, 12:42 pm

Go4Long wrote:
bobby 1211 wrote:

Are you talking about the pair of Rafale M? Because that didn’t replace couteau delta. They’re from the navy, and they attended together with Couteau Delta in 2018.

No, I expect they're talking about the rumoured 'Rogues Victor', though things have gone quiet on that front. It's worth noting however that CD has not been replaced, the team was suspended rather than disbanded:

http://thisisflight.net/2019/12/02/fren ... s-in-2020/
If life gives you melons then you're probably dyslexic
Pringles

Postby duffspeed on Wed 19 Feb 2020, 1:26 pm

Pringles wrote:
Go4Long wrote:
bobby 1211 wrote:

No, I expect they're talking about the rumoured 'Rogues Victor', though things have gone quiet on that front. It's worth noting however that CD has not been replaced, the team was suspended rather than disbanded:

http://thisisflight.net/2019/12/02/fren ... s-in-2020/

Rafale M, Rafale C, I really don't mind. As long as they're flown in the same spirit we're used to. Pretty sure I remember back to a Mildenhall show where the cloud base was so low, their Jaguar display couldn't have been much flatter, but it was still a great display - close, fast and burner-filled.
duffspeed

Postby spellow3010 on Wed 19 Feb 2020, 1:31 pm

Go4Long wrote:
Luigi wrote:

Never say never. The attendees of red flag last week were treated to a four ship take off for both day and night ops.

Indeed - never say never. I saw a Red Flag video last week on YouTube (don't have the link, sorry) that showed the 4-ship departure at night. Lovely scenes!! :biggrin: Worth a watch if you can find it.

I live in hope that we'll see another RIAT performance one day (not just an arrival, static squat and departure). My last 'flypast' other than RIAT arrivals was a perilously grey and drizzly moment in the gloom at Cosford... a loud, noisy and effervescent afterburner pass... So glad my daughter saw that!! :up:
spellow3010

PreviousNext

Return to Royal International Air Tattoo