RIAT 2020 Wishlist

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
harkins

Re: RIAT 2020 Wishlist

Post by harkins »

I'd love to see a CH-53 once more. It's been quite a while now, but I'm not holding out much hope as according to the '2018 ‘Report on the Operational Readiness of the Bundeswehr Primary Weapons Systems’, only 16 out of 72 are operational. Likely can't spare one for a week.

Luigi

Post by Luigi »

the dark side of "america first" policy.

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

Some of the Civilian operators have the most interesting aircraft out there.

Imagine a static area with:

MB Meteor
HHA Hunter
Draken Mirage F1
Top Aces A4
Top Aces Westwind
Top Aces Alpha Jet

Never gonna happen, but nice to think about!

Luigi

Post by Luigi »

G-CVIX wrote:Some of the Civilian operators have the most interesting aircraft out there.

Imagine a static area with:

MB Meteor
HHA Hunter
Draken Mirage F1
Top Aces A4
Top Aces Westwind
Top Aces Alpha Jet

Never gonna happen, but nice to think about!

...and let's not forget Swedish Historic Flight

( Oh, I did it again... :wall: )

Rossbeef

Post by Rossbeef »

I'm hoping for less arguing when the main thread starts to get into the swing of things.

Actually, I will wish for something more realistic, so Iranian F-14 display :biggrin:

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

A Mig-105 would be welcome too, if possible, if not how about a Buran? :lol:
Got to love Russianhardware

mavvymoo

Post by mavvymoo »

As big a long shot as an Iranian F-14 turning up......

.... Friday 17th July is the UK premier of Top Gun 2. Just saying....
Famed for appearing to put my foot in it, read my post with the voice of Stewie Griffin if it offended you first time

vulcanshammer

Post by vulcanshammer »

mavvymoo wrote:As big a long shot as an Iranian F-14 turning up......

What are you thinking? Tom Cruise on static?
The sooner the world runs out of cotton wool the better

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

As long as it’s not Kelly McGillis. :grin:

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

Gotta chuck German CH-53 and Norwegian Orion on the wishlist. Not long left for either.

verreli

Post by verreli »

vulcanshammer wrote:

Don't rule it out. Cruise will be in London that evening for the premiere so a Friday visit to RIAT is a possibility. Maybe Iceman too?

While we're still in the wishlist, how about a Boeing flown superbug, marked in a black/blue special scheme, to open up the display programme on Friday?

mavvymoo

Post by mavvymoo »

vulcanshammer wrote:

To be honest I was just thinking big screen for some apres flying entertainment. Now that would score some brownie points! :worship:
Famed for appearing to put my foot in it, read my post with the voice of Stewie Griffin if it offended you first time

Airshowhammer

Post by Airshowhammer »

F35C, looks like something straight out of Star Wars, there was rumours of the US navy displaying it this year.

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

verreli wrote:Don't rule it out. Cruise will be in London that evening for the premiere so a Friday visit to RIAT is a possibility. Maybe Iceman too?

Isn't time cruel sometimes? Val Kilmer has 3 chins & is over twice the girth he was in Topgun, but Tom Cruise is still a 'short-arse'! :whistle:

edhunter

Post by edhunter »

As it is also a Farnborough year do you think there is a realistic chance of the USAF bringing a kc-46 over for RIAT and Farnborough?

verreli

Post by verreli »

Stagger2 wrote:Isn't time cruel sometimes? Val Kilmer has 3 chins & is over twice the girth he was in Topgun, but Tom Cruise is still a 'short-arse'! :whistle:

Time is a cruel mistress. First she takes your looks, then your mobility, then inexorably your life.

HeyfordDave111

Post by HeyfordDave111 »

Airshowhammer wrote:F35C, looks like something straight out of Star Wars, there was rumours of the US navy displaying it this year.

I seem to remember seeing on scramble a deployment scheduled of Marine F-35's (i could be wrong on all counts mind) to Marham late summer. Maybe? just Maybe?
Got to love Russianhardware

FlankerPhoto

Post by FlankerPhoto »

Crimson Flag is scheduled for October, IIRC.

As a side note, for those wanting something other than a Herc from Jordan.. both Il-76s were transferred to Egypt.

Post by 106500 »

After the super Spanish Harrier displays last year, I’m wondering if they might do a repeat act at this year’s event? Failing that what about the prospect of a US Marine Corps AV8B pairing? Now that would be a real coup! I suppose though we’ll have to make do with the usual Osprey... we can but live in hope.... :roll:

Light Chop

Post by Light Chop »

106500 wrote:After the super Spanish Harrier displays last year, I’m wondering if they might do a repeat act at this year’s event? Failing that what about the prospect of a US Marine Corps AV8B pairing? Now that would be a real coup! I suppose though we’ll have to make do with the usual Osprey... we can but live in hope.... :roll:

USMC Harriers are elusive enough on their own continent, and never with a pair so that probably answers that question.

The regular (and very welcome) CV-22 demonstration comes from the USAFE.

verreli

Post by verreli »

Yuma and Cherry Point both have USMC Harrier displays this year. Elsewhere, they're a rare static exhibit. Other than the core ACC displays and two display teams, the host bases will display their resident aircraft (i.e. Beale U-2 and Dyess B-1) but their rare aircraft rarely travel. Surprisingly the USN don't have a core travelling F-18 display, leaving the PR to the Blue Angels. I can highly recommend a trip to the USA to attend one of their shows. A completely different experience to RIAT but all the more rewarding for it.

Seahornet

Post by Seahornet »

HeyfordDave111 wrote:
Airshowhammer wrote:F35C, looks like something straight out of Star Wars, there was rumours of the US navy displaying it this year.

I seem to remember seeing on scramble a deployment scheduled of Marine F-35's (i could be wrong on all counts mind) to Marham late summer. Maybe? just Maybe?

That wouldn't quench Airshowhammer's thirst though - the US Marines operate the same B model as the RAF/RN, not the bigger and more imposing C model of the USN. :sad:
And as the smart ship grew,
In stature, grace and hue,
In shadowy silent distance grew the iceberg too....

JJC

Post by JJC »

Seahornet wrote:
HeyfordDave111 wrote:

That wouldn't quench Airshowhammer's thirst though - the US Marines operate the same B model as the RAF/RN, not the bigger and more imposing C model of the USN. :sad:

Believe the USMC have just received their first C model F-35s in the last few days, although as I understand it they’re set to procure far less C’s than they are B’s.
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

USMC have a few F-35C that fly alongside the USN aircraft in the training role at Lemoore.

The first dedicated USMC squadron which will take over the training role received its first aircraft at Miramar last week.

The days of the legacy Hornet in the US military are now numbered as the F-35C will replace it in the USMC leaving just NASA and Top Gun (I think) operating them. All USMC F-18 will be Miramar based from FY27 and should be retired around FY31.

If you want to bag Harriers at Yuma be quick, they are in the final 18 months to 2 years of operations. All remaining Harriers will be based at Cherry Point from FY22 and will likely be gone completely from FY24 going by the published transition plan.

CJS

Post by CJS »

boff180 wrote: All remaining Harriers will be based at Cherry Point from FY22 and will likely be gone completely from FY24 going by the published transition plan.

Financial Year?
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"