RIAT Dream Job

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
capercaillie

Re: RIAT Dream Job

Post by capercaillie »

cg_341 wrote:Well I'm sure whomever gets the job will be more than happy to engage with the enthusiast community to understand their needs...right up until they read this forum and start to wonder if there's any point.

Christ, folks, what a way to present enthusiasts to the people that matter.

As Brevet mentioned if they are going to go off on a hissy fit because they have read something posted by a nerd/geek/troll/enthusiast/nutter insert whatever word you like, its probably not the job for them.

I don't ever recall any negative posting about Tom himself or the sterling work he has done in attracting some very memorable aircraft over the many years he has been in the job at RIAT. In fact all I can think of is "praise" posts, some to the point of grovelling and wishing they had a bedroom poster to dote over.

Yes, there have been many posts of "meh" to run of the mill stuff from all sorts on here, probably even me :oops: but it is RIAT, it has high expectations, high premiums (especially those of us in FRIAT) and to us old miserable gits who have seen the item at many RIATs and IATs before we're not going to spontaneously combust with excitement and say wow, great job you've managed to get a Mathematical Air Force C-130 for the 69th year running, like some others always seem to do to everything that's added. Conversely I can understand Tom's frustration when :sleepy: and :surrender: comments appear when he does pull a rabbit out of the hat and secures a genuine gem such as the Estonian An2 or Brazilian R-99 and its met with boring propeller job or just a bizjet.
But that is surely just the product of a bunch of misfits on a forum from random strains of society? Every year we see the helicopter haters, the display team haters, the civvy haters, the ones who only like vapour spewing, fire spitting afterburner types, those who "don't go for the static" - admittedly I wouldn't even let those in :whistle:, good grief there are even some who only go to take the numbers :roll: , a right mixed bag. Each one has their own manifest for attending.

I'm sure he has also got a warm glow with the praise when the message boards light up with real enthusiasm when hard work and persistence pay off and the likes of the Spanish Harriers or Romanian MiG21s are announced.

So no need for taking anything to heart posted on a forum by a bunch of faceless clowns.

Anyway, best of luck to Tom in whatever he chooses to do with his time, its been a privilege taking numbers, I mean pictures of all the aircraft he has attracted to the hallowed tarmac and concrete over the years, I'm sure he'll still be keeping an eye on how it develops over the next few years. :clap: :clap:
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Who are you calling a strain... :tongue2:
:lol:

To be fair, a lot - possibly the majority - of the adverse comments weren't so much about the aircraft but more about the over-hyped announcements, especially when those announcements concerned non-aviation stuff like the giant hamster-wheel.
I wouldn't have thought that would come under his job remit, would it?

That said, his dummy-spitting over Tommy's RIAT review article was ill considered in my opinion.
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Brevet Cable wrote:
That said, his dummy-spitting over Tommy's RIAT review article was ill considered in my opinion.

I'm not aware of this... sounds interesting... On this forum?

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

On twitter, but posted on here in the RIAT 2019 review topic ( https://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=84293 )

mark_aviation wrote:Thought it might be of interest to some to see Tom’s (RIATAirOps) response on Twitter:

[tweet]https://twitter.com/tomg701/status/1157599286592512000[/tweet]

And when asked by Tommy :
Are you able to give details of the inaccuracies, Tom?

He failed to do so.
아직도 숨어있다

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

capercaillie wrote:
cg_341 wrote:Well I'm sure whomever gets the job will be more than happy to engage with the enthusiast community to understand their needs...right up until they read this forum and start to wonder if there's any point.

Christ, folks, what a way to present enthusiasts to the people that matter.

As Brevet mentioned if they are going to go off on a hissy fit because they have read something posted by a nerd/geek/troll/enthusiast/nutter insert whatever word you like, its probably not the job for them.

I don't ever recall any negative posting about Tom himself or the sterling work he has done in attracting some very memorable aircraft over the many years he has been in the job at RIAT. In fact all I can think of is "praise" posts, some to the point of grovelling and wishing they had a bedroom poster to dote over.

Yes, there have been many posts of "meh" to run of the mill stuff from all sorts on here, probably even me :oops: but it is RIAT, it has high expectations, high premiums (especially those of us in FRIAT) and to us old miserable gits who have seen the item at many RIATs and IATs before we're not going to spontaneously combust with excitement and say wow, great job you've managed to get a Mathematical Air Force C-130 for the 69th year running, like some others always seem to do to everything that's added. Conversely I can understand Tom's frustration when :sleepy: and :surrender: comments appear when he does pull a rabbit out of the hat and secures a genuine gem such as the Estonian An2 or Brazilian R-99 and its met with boring propeller job or just a bizjet.
But that is surely just the product of a bunch of misfits on a forum from random strains of society? Every year we see the helicopter haters, the display team haters, the civvy haters, the ones who only like vapour spewing, fire spitting afterburner types, those who "don't go for the static" - admittedly I wouldn't even let those in :whistle:, good grief there are even some who only go to take the numbers :roll: , a right mixed bag. Each one has their own manifest for attending.

I'm sure he has also got a warm glow with the praise when the message boards light up with real enthusiasm when hard work and persistence pay off and the likes of the Spanish Harriers or Romanian MiG21s are announced.

So no need for taking anything to heart posted on a forum by a bunch of faceless clowns.

Anyway, best of luck to Tom in whatever he chooses to do with his time, its been a privilege taking numbers, I mean pictures of all the aircraft he has attracted to the hallowed tarmac and concrete over the years, I'm sure he'll still be keeping an eye on how it develops over the next few years. :clap: :clap:

Marvellous post - really, very little else needs to be said.
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

Tmyers123

Post by Tmyers123 »

capercaillie wrote: I don't ever recall any negative posting about Tom himself or the sterling work he has done in attracting some very memorable aircraft over the many years he has been in the job at RIAT.

Maybe not directly at Tom, but something along the lines of “the bellends at DBH” was uttered by some tool on this forum last year.

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

Tmyers123 wrote:
capercaillie wrote: I don't ever recall any negative posting about Tom himself or the sterling work he has done in attracting some very memorable aircraft over the many years he has been in the job at RIAT.

Maybe not directly at Tom, but something along the lines of “the bellends at DBH” was uttered by some tool on this forum last year.

Who?
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale

Gonzo230

Post by Gonzo230 »

I don't ever recall any negative posting about Tom

You only have to look at this thread for some.

It's an interesting conundrum. As social media becomes ever-more prevalent, people seem to feel more able to comment from a limited knowledge base. Communities like UKAR feel that collectively organisers should be listening to their feedback more, but then when those organisers challenge some of that feedback, especially over factual matters, they are accused of having hissy-fits, spitting dummies and being sensitive flowers. Keyboard to subject separation is always bad for considered debate.

At this year's show I was called the 'work experience boy' and 'the complete clown in the tower' and showing a 'lack of effort' on Twitter in amongst many, many expletives; always good to hear after working really quite hard. My particular favourite was the person who was moaning that attending RIAT as a spectator cost him a free weekend and the ticket cost, and that we should be more mindful of that when considering getting aircraft to roll down to the A/B loop. That was aimed at a group of volunteers who take more than a week's annual leave each and put at risk their professional licences, through which they gain employment in their 'real jobs' across the country. All highly motivating, I'm sure you'll agree!! At least I've got a new RIAT nickname.

So no, it doesn't take a genius to work out that social media 'engagement' won't be high up on many volunteers' and organisers' priorities. It's just not worth the hassle, which is a shame.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

...when those organisers challenge some of that feedback, especially over factual matters, they are accused of having hissy-fits, spitting dummies and being sensitive flowers.

If you read the post the "sensitive flowers" comment was made in, you'd have seen it was NOT aimed at the organisers, it was ( as Capercaillie reiterated ) a reply to cg_341's post, to wit anyone who is of that nature wouldn't really be suitable for the job.

Hissy fit / dummy-spitting? That's how his comment on Tommy's review came across to me - and to others by the looks of things.

At this year's show I was called the 'work experience boy' and 'the complete clown in the tower' and showing a 'lack of effort' on Twitter in amongst many, many expletives; always good to hear after working really quite hard. My particular favourite was the person who was moaning that attending RIAT as a spectator cost him a free weekend and the ticket cost, and that we should be more mindful of that when considering getting aircraft to roll down to the A/B loop. That was aimed at a group of volunteers who take more than a week's annual leave each and put at risk their professional licences, through which they gain employment in their 'real jobs' across the country. All highly motivating, I'm sure you'll agree!! At least I've got a new RIAT nickname.

Was that by members of this forum? :dunno:
아직도 숨어있다

Domvickery
UKAR Staff

Post by Domvickery »

Brevet Cable wrote:
Was that by members of this forum? :dunno:

I’d hope not

Being down the west end that day sitting for 2-3hours watching everything turn off & the KC-10 even being thanked for doing so as it did a favour was massively frustrating but the comments on Twitter were way too much
Free straws available to clutch at - PM me. Inventor of the baguette scale

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

From what I recall on the arrivals days, it was pretty much the same as previous years, where ATC were often asking aircraft to taxi down to the far end but either the crew's English wasn't good enough or they declined to do so ( and unless I'm mistaken, didn't a couple agree to do so but turned off before getting there? )
Same with trying to get various aircraft to do running breaks instead of straight-in approaches, wasn't it?
아직도 숨어있다

Paul_Reflex

Post by Paul_Reflex »

Brevet Cable wrote:From what I recall on the arrivals days, it was pretty much the same as previous years, where ATC were often asking aircraft to taxi down to the far end but either the crew's English wasn't good enough or they declined to do so ( and unless I'm mistaken, didn't a couple agree to do so but turned off before getting there? )
Same with trying to get various aircraft to do running breaks instead of straight-in approaches, wasn't it?

That’s absolutely how I remember it. Trouble is that the aircraft that make it down to the west end and those that don’t tend to cluster a bit which causes longish quiet periods.

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Brevet Cable wrote: Tommy's review

*Sam’s.

Unless you’re talking 2018 or 2017.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

Oops, it was indeed Sam's review .... brain-fade on my part ( again ) :oops:
아직도 숨어있다

edhunter

Post by edhunter »

This may seem a daft question, but I am curious as to when dbh start making plans for the following years show in regards of the theme, air arms/countries they wish to invite and any particular aircraft on there wish list they hope the air arms would be available to send?