2020 tickets

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
Traveller

2020 tickets

Post by Traveller »

Are the Saturday tickets likely to see a discounted price at some point? I thought I saw early bird a while back but now see only Fri and Sun are discounted. Will Saturday stay at £59 now right through to July?

boff180
UKAR Staff

Re: 2020 tickets

Post by boff180 »

There is a maximum number of discounted (early bird/super early bird) tickets available for each day. The Saturday allocation has already been sold hence why it is now full price but the others are still discounted.

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

As per my post in the other topic, the recent E-Mail from DBH would indicate they've changed that again for the non-Saturday tickets :
Friday and Sunday are still selling at discounted rates until 31 January
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

Traveller wrote:Are the Saturday tickets likely to see a discounted price at some point? I thought I saw early bird a while back but now see only Fri and Sun are discounted. Will Saturday stay at £59 now right through to July?

early bird is finished on it now so it will be full price forever now i suspect.
saturday is usually the busiest day so they tend to maximise the price with it and keep the others lower to get people in

Traveller

Post by Traveller »

Thanks, Saturday it is with my BAE discount code then. Although Sunday is down as discounted the next page is now showing full price only at 59!!

Brevet Cable

Post by Brevet Cable »

It's a cock-up on the page...if you scroll down to the bottom - 'Step 2', where you select how many tickets you want to buy - the price is £49
Tôi chỉ đặt cái này ở đây để giữ cho người điều hành bận rộn
아직도 숨어있다

tankbuster81
UKAR Supporter

Post by tankbuster81 »

I never get how they "supposedly" sell out of the early early tickets so quickly, with no acts announced? 2019 was a very solid but non-spectacular year, and we have no idea of display items as yet. It's like paying for a concert at Wembley in the hope you'll get Deep purple, and Little Mix come out.
Don't bother running, you'll only die tired!!

verreli

Post by verreli »

... or in the case of RIAT, Alexandra Burke. :rock:

I've got my ticket already and if they had a multi future year option, I'd probably get that too. It's RIAT. It's unique as far as global airshows go and always has one or two things not seen recently, or indeed before, with the rest a solid days aviation action. See you all there... :ninja:

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

tankbuster81 wrote:I never get how they "supposedly" sell out of the early early tickets so quickly, with no acts announced? 2019 was a very solid but non-spectacular year, and we have no idea of display items as yet. It's like paying for a concert at Wembley in the hope you'll get Deep purple, and Little Mix come out.

i've booked FRIAT for the first time this year. i get what you are saying in terms of not having announcements but in my case its the show where I am most likely to get an array of jets displaying that I won't at a lot of other airshows.

it's also not strictly about the planes for me. i know some people will be like "no F-22 this year, no for me then", but as with a music festival its about more than just standing there and watching the planes.

as you say, last year was by no means a classic but I enjoyed it. Even if this year doesn't class as a classic i'm sure i'll enjoy it just as much whatever the entries.

Adraruro

Post by Adraruro »

tankbuster81 wrote:I never get how they "supposedly" sell out of the early early tickets so quickly, with no acts announced? 2019 was a very solid but non-spectacular year, and we have no idea of display items as yet. It's like paying for a concert at Wembley in the hope you'll get Deep purple, and Little Mix come out.

The same reason Glastonbury does... people love the event and trust the organisers to deliver year on year, which unless you are stupidly/excessively fussy, it does.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

I book my tickets as soon as they come out for any airshow (not just RIAT) as I have to factor in other expenses such as flights, hotels, trains etc.

The longer I leave it, the more expensive it is. Book anything in September the year before, you will pay a hell of a lot less than you would if you waited until April/May.

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

jasonT1981 wrote:I book my tickets as soon as they come out for any airshow (not just RIAT) as I have to factor in other expenses such as flights, hotels, trains etc.

The longer I leave it, the more expensive it is. Book anything in September the year before, you will pay a hell of a lot less than you would if you waited until April/May.

agreed. tried getting a hotel a few months before RIAT? you need to take out a mortgage

Lightningkid70

Post by Lightningkid70 »

verreli wrote:... or in the case of RIAT, Alexandra Burke. :rock:

I've got my ticket already and if they had a multi future year option, I'd probably get that too. It's RIAT. It's unique as far as global airshows go and always has one or two things not seen recently, or indeed before, with the rest a solid days aviation action. See you all there... :ninja:

You're getting me worried now, how come you have your ticket already? RIAT for 2020 are sending out tickets two weeks before the show, first time in my experience. How can people book hotels in advance when they haven't actually recieved tickets. Am I missing something?
Is there something I don't know or have done wrong?

Martin

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Lightningkid70 wrote:
verreli wrote:... or in the case of RIAT, Alexandra Burke. :rock:

You're getting me worried now, how come you have your ticket already? RIAT for 2020 are sending out tickets two weeks before the show, first time in my experience. How can people book hotels in advance when they haven't actually recieved tickets. Am I missing something?

Martin

Can't speak for anyone else, but I booked my tickets the minute they were out. Simply because its cheaper. As for booking hotels, if you know the show dates, and know you are wanting to go... most people will book hotels for those dates as they fill up fast and go up in price majorly closer to the time. For some shows I have the hotel booked as well as flights before the tickets even go on sale.

I don't think RIAT only sending tickets out 2 weeks before the show matters much. Ticketmaster does this too, they only send tickets closer to the date. NFL London game tickets only get sent out in the final 2 weeks before the game.

Long story short - Price is why. And not having a physical ticket yet isn't a problem as the booking is there. I know I will get my tickets before the show, so no point waiting until I get the ticket in my inbox to book everything else.

Try booking your hotel when the tickets are sent out. I promise you will pay at least £250+ more for the weekend then, than you would now.

Edit: Do you mean how come he has the 'actual' tickets. I don't think he has. He means he has booked his tickets and has confirmation from RIAT that the booking was sucessful that they will be sent out via email.

verreli

Post by verreli »

Lightningkid70 wrote:You're getting me worried now, how come you have your ticket already? RIAT for 2020 are sending out tickets two weeks before the show, first time in my experience. How can people book hotels in advance when they haven't actually recieved tickets. Am I missing something?

Martin

Actual tickets will be sent in the normal published timescales. Bookings can be made via the website which will allow you to commit to hotels, etc. As to OP stated, we don't know what will be there yet however, expect the usual blend of fast jet solo's, national display teams and the RJF.

edhunter

Post by edhunter »

I always book my hotel for the next years RIAT before i leave my hotel. I.e. before I leave the hotel this year I will book for 2021 show.

Lightningkid70

Post by Lightningkid70 »

verreli wrote:
Lightningkid70 wrote:You're getting me worried now, how come you have your ticket already? RIAT for 2020 are sending out tickets two weeks before the show, first time in my experience. How can people book hotels in advance when they haven't actually recieved tickets. Am I missing something?

Martin

Actual tickets will be sent in the normal published timescales. Bookings can be made via the website which will allow you to commit to hotels, etc. As to OP stated, we don't know what will be there yet however, expect the usual blend of fast jet solo's, national display teams and the RJF.

I've been booking these etickets for the past ten years.
This year I managed to book the hotel & purchase the tickets within the same day, but this is the first time that I have had to pay up front for tickets which I won't receive until two weeks before the show.
I have always printed off my "actual" tickets on paying on the site.
We have all actually made a gamble on booking hotels early & possibly air fares in advance but how does anyone know for sure that we will receive the tickets we have paid for. In my experience I have never ever had to pay up front for a ticket for a show and had to wait half a year before receiving them.
So if something goes wrong two weeks before the show, will RIAT let you in with the order reference email?
In my opinion this was the wrong way to go about issuing tickets online for such a large event that visitors have to outlay on other associated things like hotels & transport.
It does say on the website, if you look & I'm sure it will put people off going or wait until alot nearer the time to purchase tickets.

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Lightningkid70 wrote:
This year I managed to book the hotel & purchase the tickets within the same day, but this is the first time that I have had to pay up front for tickets which I won't receive until two weeks before the show.
We have all actually made a gamble on booking hotels early & possibly air fares in advance but how does anyone know for sure that we will receive the tickets we have paid for. In my experience I have never ever had to pay up front for a ticket for a show and had to wait half a year before receiving them.
So if something goes wrong two weeks before the show, will RIAT let you in with the order reference email?
In my opinion this was the wrong way to go about issuing tickets online for such a large event that visitors have to outlay on other associated things like hotels & transport.
It does say on the website, if you look & I'm sure it will put people off going or wait until alot nearer the time to purchase tickets.

You have got your tickets, they're bought and reserved. The printable physical item will be sent out nearer the event - this is perfectly normal practice in all sorts of events from sports to concerts, festivals etc. Its to minimise reselling. Also lessens the number of lost tickets, when folks can't remember where they stashed them all those months ago. But mainly, its an anti-scalper measure.

Don't worry about it, you have your reservation, and your proof of purchase, the scannable 'tickets' will arrive in due course.

Lightningkid70

Post by Lightningkid70 »

I know I will get my tickets before the show, so no point waiting until I get the ticket in my inbox to book everything else.

Try booking your hotel when the tickets are sent out. I promise you will pay at least £250+ more for the weekend then, than you would now.

Edit: Do you mean how come he has the 'actual' tickets. I don't think he has. He means he has booked his tickets and has confirmation from RIAT that the booking was sucessful that they will be sent out via email.

You seem very confident about getting your tickets, you know that for certain? Bit of a risk booking everything else on the most important part which you haven't received?
Don't get me wrong as I have done exactly the same as you & had to book early for my hotel, you certainly don't need to tell me about tickets being bumped up nearer the location on that date. You do understand my point though?
As I said before this is the first time that RIAT has done this with their ticketing & something I have never experienced before for an airshow.
It's not very reassuring & not really fair on people who have to plan & lay out like this so far in advance.

verreli

Post by verreli »

You make a fair comment. I had the experience recently where on buying tickets through ticketmaster I bought an overseas event ticket with parking option. The event ticket came through a few days before travelling but the car park didn't which caused unnecessary hassle due to the lack of time to sort it out. It all worked out in the end though. Not sure why an event such as RIAT would need to go down this route. I suspect with ticketmaster it's to prevent ticket tout's.

Lightningkid70

Post by Lightningkid70 »

Wrexham Mackem wrote:
Lightningkid70 wrote:

You have got your tickets, they're bought and reserved. The printable physical item will be sent out nearer the event - this is perfectly normal practice in all sorts of events from sports to concerts, festivals etc. Its to minimise reselling. Also lessens the number of lost tickets, when folks can't remember where they stashed them all those months ago. But mainly, its an anti-scalper measure.

Don't worry about it, you have your reservation, and your proof of purchase, the scannable 'tickets' will arrive in due course.

Well thanks for that I assume you're part of the DBH team & you know for certain, I feel mildly reassured & I'll hold you to that! :smile:

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

I'm sorry Lightningkid, I don't get where you're going from. Tickets are available. If you bought them from RIAT, you do have them. They even made certificates available for those giving tickets as gifts, so that there was something physical to wrap. The 'ticket' you seem to be referring to is just the physical representation of the ticket - that you've aleady bought - that will get you through the door. It will be emailed out, nailed on, there is no risk.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Lightningkid70 wrote:I know I will get my tickets before the show, so no point waiting until I get the ticket in my inbox to book everything else.

You seem very confident about getting your tickets, you know that for certain? Bit of a risk booking everything else on the most important part which you haven't received?

I have a booking reference, card statement and confirmation email. It's no big deal the ticket has not been sent out. As I said, Ticketmaster and other ticket companies do this too.

I also have to factor in flights to England from Northern Ireland and train costs. I got everything including tickets, flights and hotel for just under £350, and that includes 2 nights in London for a bit of spotting at Heathrow before going up to Bristol on the Friday. Want to try booking that 2 weeks before RIAT? Good luck to you. You'll pay a fortune assuming you can get hotels etc at all anywhere near Swindon/Fairford. That's why I booked in September and others book the hotel the weekend of RIAT 2019.

I know I have the ticket ordered and all the confirmations, worst case a phone-call to RIAT with your booking number will get you the ticket sent out if not arrived. You should also be able to log in and download ticket directly from the RIAT website.

It's really no big deal. Tickets are ordered and I have confirmation/booking reference etc. I'm not in the least worried. My last NFL game in London, my ticket arrived on the Monday before the game and I knew it was only going to be sent out a week before.
Last edited by jasonT1981 on Tue 07 Jan 2020, 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lightningkid70

Post by Lightningkid70 »

verreli wrote:You make a fair comment. I had the experience recently where on buying tickets through ticketmaster I bought an overseas event ticket with parking option. The event ticket came through a few days before travelling but the car park didn't which caused unnecessary hassle due to the lack of time to sort it out. It all worked out in the end though. Not sure why an event such as RIAT would need to go down this route. I suspect with ticketmaster it's to prevent ticket tout's.

That is my worry, as I don't currently have the actual printed off tickets how do I know something won't go wrong & I won't get the three seperate tickets with all the shuttle bus options I paid for. If any one of those elements aren't present in this email that I'm supposed to receive two weeks before, then that's potentially either one day or all three days stuffed.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Lightningkid70 wrote:
verreli wrote:You make a fair comment. I had the experience recently where on buying tickets through ticketmaster I bought an overseas event ticket with parking option. The event ticket came through a few days before travelling but the car park didn't which caused unnecessary hassle due to the lack of time to sort it out. It all worked out in the end though. Not sure why an event such as RIAT would need to go down this route. I suspect with ticketmaster it's to prevent ticket tout's.

That is my worry, as I don't currently have the actual printed off tickets how do I know something won't go wrong & I won't get the three seperate tickets with all the shuttle bus options I paid for. If any one of those elements aren't present in this email that I'm supposed to receive two weeks before, then that's potentially either one day or all three days stuffed.

Worst case on the shuttle bus option. You can pay when getting on the bus at Swindon or where-ever you are getting it from. I wouldn't be happy paying again, but its only £4