Virtual Air Tattoo

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
RIAT Air Ops

Virtual Air Tattoo

Post by RIAT Air Ops »

Fans of the Royal International Air Tattoo have a treat in store this summer as the world's largest military airshow announces a weekend of virtual flying displays, interviews and never seen before footage. The Virtual Air Tattoo is aimed at giving viewers a flavour of the real event planned for 2020.

The Virtual Air Tattoo will be a free to view live-streamed event on Saturday 18 and Sunday 19 July, with a minimum of four hours of live, unique, video content aired on each day. It will showcase military aviation in a way viewers will not be able to access elsewhere, as the Royal International Air Tattoo has done for nearly 50 years.

CEO, Paul Atherton, commented, "We still want to give the Air Tattoo experience to our visitors, participants & sponsors and this we can do through an online broadcast over what would have been the show weekend. This is our thank you for all their support, loyalty and goodwill during this difficult time."

The broadcast will focus on flying display action, using footage from previous Air Tattoo displays and a unique twist with the inclusion of true 'virtual' displays flown on flight simulation programmes by skilled gamers from across Europe, including RAF eSports who will follow the broadcast with a special tournament. The Virtual Air Tattoo will also give a 'behind the scenes' view of military aviation with content from the Royal Air Force, International Air Arms and our Aerospace Industry Partners.

Working with PlanesTV, the programme will be hosted from a live studio by aviation expert and Air Tattoo commentator, Ben Dunnell, as well as special guests, and viewers will be encouraged to ask questions via social media, making the Virtual Air Tattoo a truly interactive experience.

More details of content and participants will be published over the coming weeks.

CJS

Re: Virtual Air Tattoo

Post by CJS »

Sounds like it could be fun. :grinning:
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

i wondered if something like this would be done. should be fun :)

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

Really sorry ( it's just the way I feel at the moment) but I won't be watching as I feel it just rubs salt into the wound to what we're all missing this year.....Sorry.
...Rad shutters auto.

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

Feel the same Keith! It's absolutely gutting to think we'd be getting ready for RIAT next month in normal times.

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Its very welcome, I'll certainly give it a watch. Its nice to enjoy some past highlights and see some new content. And above all have a short number of hours on the day if not making the pilgrimage in person, then at least making it in spirit.

RAF4EVER

Post by RAF4EVER »

My opinion,same as Keith.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Surely, RAF4EVER, keith, MiG Eater et al - it's better to have this than nothing?

I'd rather sit at home feeling a bit sad there's no RIAT but watching this than just sitting at home feeling a bit sad there's no RIAT.
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

Streffo123

Post by Streffo123 »

its good that they have Ben Dunnell commentating. wonder what the lineup will be

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

So, free entry, no rain, no traffic, no queue, no shoulder barging on the flight line, no last minute drop outs, no constant promotions of programmes, DVDs etc etc

sign me up for 2021 :smiley: :smiley:
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

"no constant promotions of programmes, DVDs etc etc"... don't speak too soon...

I probably will be watching, truth be told. I definitely think its a nice idea, its just weird to think this will be the first year of my life I will not have travelled to RIAT (or ATI).

canard67

Post by canard67 »

A bit of extra realism needed . Park the car a mile from your TV get the missus to search your bag on the way in and charge you a fiver for an ice cream.

Rick

Post by Rick »

canard67 wrote:
Thu 11 Jun 2020, 3:50 pm
A bit of extra realism needed . Park the car a mile from your TV get the missus to search your bag on the way in and charge you a fiver for an ice cream.
:laughing: what about the big wheel ?
Slackers of the World unite !
Tomorrow.

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

canard67 wrote:
Thu 11 Jun 2020, 3:50 pm
And you could always get the kids to play with their toy fairground set right in front of the TV so you can't see or photograph anything without them being in the shot....
...Rad shutters auto.

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

keithjs wrote:
Tue 09 Jun 2020, 10:17 am
Really sorry ( it's just the way I feel at the moment) but I won't be watching as I feel it just rubs salt into the wound to what we're all missing this year.....Sorry.
i thought this when i watched the first few virtual shows from around the world. then i realised i'd rather have some old shows to break up the currently very boring days than nothing at all.

RIAT Air Ops

Post by RIAT Air Ops »

Another flavour of what's to be included in the Virtual Air Tattoo as well as the flying display footage itself...

Berf

Post by Berf »

Well if this is really going to work I hope a good number of you have been sitting in your car since 3am. At around 6 you get out and stand outside your house with a trolley, rucksacks full of stuff, chairs, and a ladder. At 07.30 you then sprint around 400m up and down the street before settling down with you ladder extended overlooking the neighbours. At around 9 you clamber up to the top with your laptop and watch a video of an arriving aircraft. For some, you put your laptop on top of the ladder set it running and and return to your seat. Anyone with a 2m ladder should ensure a 3m ladder is placed in front of it. At about this time you should also go into the house and return with a piece of paper. Every so often during the day you should run up and down the ladder and repeat the laptop process. In between you should pace the garden waving the sheet of paper shouting 'lies'. At around 10.00 go next door and ask them if there is a B2 in the garage. A visit to the other neighbours asking them what time the Ukrainians are arriving is also compulsory.

This process should be repeated on Thursday preferably after camping out in the garden overnight. Don't forget to set your alarm to go off every ten minutes to simulate sleep depravation.

On Friday you start queuing outside your house at around 05.30. If anyone walks past you stare angrily (simulating FRIAT members going to their own entrance). If you are usually FRIAT smile smugly at anyone. Try to get your partner to fry up a bacon sandwich - but you are not allowed to eat it as you fear losing your place. If possible enlist an early morning worker to stand near you spouting complete rubbish on any subject incessantly for an hour or so. Start tapping your watch at 07.30. After this time start shuffling up and down the street swearing. After a time take off every you have on and say 'Is that enough for you'. You now have a choice - run 600m up and down the road and settle down or walk three of four miles with all the gear. Ensure every so often you stop and stuff 10 pounds into the hands of a stranger - even better if you can exchange it for a piece of clothing, badge etc. If they are foreign make it 15 if they American make it 30.

Once over settle down for the day with the laptop. Ensure the neighbour visit every so often asking them when the B2 is arriving and complaining about wing walkers. Ask your partner to shower you with a hose is optional. Do not visit the toilet. When the laptop show is about to feature the B2, get up swear and run to the toilet (without the laptop). Repeat on Saturday and Sunday (but ensure the alarm is set every five minutes at night). Can't wait for 2021.

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

Berf wrote:
Wed 15 Jul 2020, 7:57 am
Well if this is really going to work I hope a good number of you have been sitting in your car since 3am. At around 6 you get out and stand outside your house with a trolley, rucksacks full of stuff, chairs, and a ladder. At 07.30 you then sprint around 400m up and down the street before settling down with you ladder extended overlooking the neighbours. At around 9 you clamber up to the top with your laptop and watch a video of an arriving aircraft. For some, you put your laptop on top of the ladder set it running and and return to your seat. Anyone with a 2m ladder should ensure a 3m ladder is placed in front of it. At about this time you should also go into the house and return with a piece of paper. Every so often during the day you should run up and down the ladder and repeat the laptop process. In between you should pace the garden waving the sheet of paper shouting 'lies'. At around 10.00 go next door and ask them if there is a B2 in the garage. A visit to the other neighbours asking them what time the Ukrainians are arriving is also compulsory.

This process should be repeated on Thursday preferably after camping out in the garden overnight. Don't forget to set your alarm to go off every ten minutes to simulate sleep depravation.

On Friday you start queuing outside your house at around 05.30. If anyone walks past you stare angrily (simulating FRIAT members going to their own entrance). If you are usually FRIAT smile smugly at anyone. Try to get your partner to fry up a bacon sandwich - but you are not allowed to eat it as you fear losing your place. If possible enlist an early morning worker to stand near you spouting complete rubbish on any subject incessantly for an hour or so. Start tapping your watch at 07.30. After this time start shuffling up and down the street swearing. After a time take off every you have on and say 'Is that enough for you'. You now have a choice - run 600m up and down the road and settle down or walk three of four miles with all the gear. Ensure every so often you stop and stuff 10 pounds into the hands of a stranger - even better if you can exchange it for a piece of clothing, badge etc. If they are foreign make it 15 if they American make it 30.

Once over settle down for the day with the laptop. Ensure the neighbour visit every so often asking them when the B2 is arriving and complaining about wing walkers. Ask your partner to shower you with a hose is optional. Do not visit the toilet. When the laptop show is about to feature the B2, get up swear and run to the toilet (without the laptop). Repeat on Saturday and Sunday (but ensure the alarm is set every five minutes at night). Can't wait for 2021.
when you put it like that it makes you wonder why we do it :P

JJC

Post by JJC »

The broadcast will focus on flying display action, using footage from previous Air Tattoo displays and a unique twist with the inclusion of true 'virtual' displays flown on flight simulation programmes by skilled gamers from across Europe, including RAF eSports who will follow the broadcast with a special tournament. The Virtual Air Tattoo will also give a 'behind the scenes' view of military aviation with content from the Royal Air Force, International Air Arms and our Aerospace Industry Partners.

Well, this sounds....thrilling...
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Get on this, chaps, seriously. We’re really proud of this one, and a perfect way to get you in the mood for VAT!
Wissam24 wrote:
Thu 16 Jul 2020, 3:32 pm
A special episode out today! Well, as it's RIAT week :wink:

What better to mark our tenth episode, in the week that RIAT itself would have taken place this year, than to have genuine airshow royalty on the show? We speak to Tim Prince, one of the original co-founders of what was in 1971 the Embassy Air Tattoo and until 2014 the CEO of the RAF Charitable Trust Enterprises, about all things RIAT past, present and future, what he's been up to since stepping down and what it took to build the show into what it has become today. For anyone who has been to the Air Tattoo this is a truly fascinating listen.

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

VAT? I thought that had been cut...

....... ok i'm off......

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

JJC wrote:
Wed 15 Jul 2020, 3:51 pm

Well, this sounds....thrilling...
some E-Sports is intense and very well done to be fair

Mr Benn

Post by Mr Benn »

We were going today . The weather is really grey and overcast (tho dry). I wouldve said at least 100 times by now "I cant believe the weather was great yesterday" .

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Link here if anyone was struggling:

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

This virtual Rafale is actually pretty neat, can't lie. I had no idea virtual air displays could be so sophisticated.