Virtual Air Tattoo

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
Tommy
UKAR Staff

Re: Virtual Air Tattoo

Post by Tommy »

Hahaha as if they brought in the VIP chalets when building the digital showground :joy: :joy:

Skyflash
UKAR Staff

Post by Skyflash »

Jeez, how cool is this!? What a fantastic effort from everyone to pull this together.

Loved the MiG-21 display, brilliant.
Posting comments on an aviation-related chatroom, are ya? Looks like it an' all...

CJS

Post by CJS »

Enjoying this a lot :up:. Wasn't that Lancer a thing to behold last year eh :love:

Agree with Tommy, the Rafale display was fun. My 4 year old is loving it, especially the cockpit views :sick:
You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.

CJS

Post by CJS »

27 Hunters in 1976 :shock:

And they only broke one... The prototype :lol:
Last edited by CJS on Sat 18 Jul 2020, 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.

Streffo123

Post by Streffo123 »

Flanker confirmed for 2021 Riat

Streffo123

Post by Streffo123 »

Flanker confirmed for 2021 Riat

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

I think "confirmed" is a bit strong. Probably tentative or positive at best. I think they used the words "we hope to be" rather than "we are".

Let's just take today for what it is, rather than try to read into rumours and between the lines.

Streffo123

Post by Streffo123 »

Yes but at least they want to come. Bring on 2021

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Streffo123 wrote:
Sat 18 Jul 2020, 10:45 am
Yes but at least they want to come. Bring on 2021
👍🏻

verreli

Post by verreli »

Good production values. A really great effort in the circumstances.

Can anyone identify which country the Eurofighter model is representing? I know they were used for marketing so is this a country that didn't buy?

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Quite the setup!

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

This is a pretty darn fluid presentation. Very enjoyable

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Agreed, it's very very slick indeed.

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

This is very well done. I’ve just been able to dip in and out, hopefully it’ll be available for a few days so I can catch it properly.

My flipping Sky Q box has also thrown a spanner in the works today dropping network, as it’s often doing these days. Grrr!

boff180
UKAR Staff

Post by boff180 »

I've been very impressed by the standard of the show, some superb footage, great memories and some surprisingly good virtual displays.

Just hope people are donating to the Charity whilst watching this, the RAFCT stands to lose over £1million from no RIAT this year. Every penny will help. #plug

Ta

Andy

Pat Murphy

Post by Pat Murphy »

Virtual Reds were really impressive :sunglasses:

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

Pat Murphy wrote:
Sat 18 Jul 2020, 1:26 pm
Virtual Reds were really impressive :sunglasses:
i agree. there's some people complaining about them being the virtual display and not showing the real one, but that display was excellent

verreli

Post by verreli »

verreli wrote:
Sat 18 Jul 2020, 10:51 am
Good production values. A really great effort in the circumstances.

Can anyone identify which country the Eurofighter model is representing? I know they were used for marketing so is this a country that didn't buy?
To answer my own question, they were UK markings on the Typhoon model. It was a trick of the studio light.

To everyone involved with the Virtual Air Tattoo, great show ! Let's hope Covid-19 is behind us and next years anniversary gets the event it deserves.

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

Someone also seen that the enclosures didn't reach as far forward as the crowdline? Something of things to come?

I have to say that I was quite impressed with the program for the first day. I just missed the hills north of RAF Fairford in the virtual scenery.

Also nice to hear the story about the Black Eagles from Tim Prince. I'm sure there must be more of these kind of stories. I would just hope he writes them down in a book so these will be around for a long time, instead of taking them witth him in his coffin (which I hope wil not happen anytime soon, of course).
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

aviodromefriend wrote:
Sat 18 Jul 2020, 3:03 pm
Someone also seen that the enclosures didn't reach as far forward as the crowdline? Something of things to come?
i suspect that it was just something they got wrong in the model.
you wouldn't be able to charge for a viewing village, FRIAT or exec enclosures if you could pay less and get closer

soloturk

Post by soloturk »

My thoughts having watched both days, very good enjoyed it, especially as it was a free show as well, so can't complain about any if it really! I think of the two Sunday was my favourite, may be wrong but felt like more features, virtual shows, clips and Q&A's than Saturday? Still I did enjoy Saturday though.

Kind of liked the Virtual Yeovilton to be a bit like the RIAT virtual format in more talks, behind the scene clips, but I suspect the Yeovilton one didn't have as much planning time.

II know it could have just been clips from previous RIAT shows but I preferred this Virtual RIAT format to be honest, if I wanted to see air displays from the past I can watch them on YouTube at any time I like, or get some DVD's, so to have behind the scenes, virtual displays, Q&A's, pilot talks and international short clips made it interesting.

The Virtual Air Displays were certainly something different, as per the post above there seems to have been complaints about them not being the real one, but it's a good way for the Virtual Reds to make themselves known, before this I certainly have never heard if them (and I can't be the only one) and they were top notch indeed! Its made me aware of the Digital Combat Sim that was used for the sim shows and something I'll be looking at getting.

Out of all the virtual display teams I think the Virtual PDF wasn't as good as the other, but still better than I could do lol!

Personal highlights other than the Virtual Reds was the look in the RAF P8 and Voyager, the talk through of the Typhoon display, the Historic Helicopter feature, and the virtual F16 Belgian display (there's probably a couple of things I've forgotten about!)

If anyones interested in virtual flight sim shows theres one in August, by the Lincolnshire Aviation Heritage Centre in place of the cancelled East kirkby show. Not live I believe, but clips put together and put online to watch at any time.

Interesting line up!

https://preview.redd.it/68wzh6phl4651.p ... 6b6470ab18

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

i thought it was very good and there was lots of interesting stuff. the virtual stuff was also very good, especially the virtual reds.

i would have liked to have seen some archive footage from the 00's or further back, but on the whole it was a very enjoyable weekend