Possible format for RIAT2021

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
GeeRam

Re: Possible format for RIAT2021

Post by GeeRam »

MiG_Eater wrote:
Mon 28 Sep 2020, 7:13 pm
GeeRam: nearly 1000 people died of Flu in August, around 500 died of Covid. The worst is over.
Clueless.

And a perfect example of why infections are fast rising again.

GeeRam

Post by GeeRam »

G-CVIX wrote:
Thu 01 Oct 2020, 3:38 am
If there's any positives to take, many big festivals are announcing dates and acts so at least some people are hoping for events to go ahead. I think we'll know in January.
Very good friends of mine have been owners/organiser of 2 big music/lifestyle festivals for the past 25 years, and being husband/wife its been their full time jobs for that length of time.
They are not make any plans for the one next summer, as they know it won't be possible, and are also very doubtful about the one that the indoor one that they run every November, even though that is 13 months away (this year's already being cancelled)
They are very doubtful their business will survive as it is.

No way will RIAT happen next year...IMHO.

spellow3010

Post by spellow3010 »

As a previous responder in this thread, one of the other things that has come to mind under Covid is the security 'pat-down' for any event operating under public health restrictions. So many 'un-washed' civilians to process onto the base. Bag searches, pat downs, electronic wands etc.

RIAT is my Christmas, and it was hurtful to lose it this summer, let alone the prospect of losing next year's show too. But I'm with GeeRam and simply cannot see RIAT taking place in 2021 - not in July anyway.

For anyone else out there who hold RIAT as such a big highlight of their year (like the OP), then now is a good time to start managing your expectations for 2021.

Whether the death rate from the virus gets significantly worse or not, the Governmental approach in this country alone means that things will get worse for us as a society before it starts to get better. It stinks, I don't like it, I've got wavering thoughts from time to time about whether to 'carry on' but I have to find a way to deal with it.

Stay safe everyone.
Now officially qualifies as a 'regular' at Famous Dave's - El Centro

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

GeeRam wrote:
Fri 02 Oct 2020, 10:36 am
MiG_Eater wrote:
Mon 28 Sep 2020, 7:13 pm
GeeRam: nearly 1000 people died of Flu in August, around 500 died of Covid. The worst is over.
Clueless.

And a perfect example of why infections are fast rising again.
Respiratory infections increase at this time of year, every year, and have done forever. I still believe the worst is over, in terms of the virus.

Spellow, your comments echo my feelings entirely. Things are dreadful - but we must carry on.

Traveller

Post by Traveller »

Im hearing its been canned. Too much risk to plan this far out. Not personally sure if it will ever return. Time to start moving to other/new hobbies I think. Looking at all the same looking airliner twins, UAVs, small numbers of fighters I think the hobby is over..............

Good point above about no static again, not that it is anything exciting these days anyway.

Rossbeef

Post by Rossbeef »

Traveller wrote:
Fri 06 Nov 2020, 10:01 am
Im hearing its been canned. Too much risk to plan this far out. Not personally sure if it will ever return. Time to start moving to other/new hobbies I think. Looking at all the same looking airliner twins, UAVs, small numbers of fighters I think the hobby is over..............

Good point above about no static again, not that it is anything exciting these days anyway.
Interesting, who have you heard from that has said it that the show has been canned?

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

Traveller wrote:

aren't you a ray of sunshine?

Xray833

Post by Xray833 »

rockfordstone wrote:
Fri 06 Nov 2020, 12:17 pm
Traveller wrote:
Time to start moving to other/new hobbies I think. Looking at all the same looking airliner twins, UAVs, small numbers of fighters I think the hobby is over..............

Please do.

RIAT Air Ops

Post by RIAT Air Ops »

Traveller wrote:
Im hearing its been canned. Too much risk to plan this far out.
Incorrect.

Planning for the Royal International Air Tattoo 2021 is underway and you can be assured that safety for our visitors, staff & participants is our number one priority (as it is every year). The whole team at Douglas Bader House are using all available guidelines and resources to ensure we deliver a professional & COVID Secure event next year, and celebrate the Air Tattoo's 50th anniversary in style.

Further information about the plans for RIAT 2021 will be announced in an appropriate fashion to our loyal customers once details are confirmed.

Cheers,
Peter

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

Good to hear ...maybe the mass quick testing that’s being rolled out in Liverpool may hold the answer to allowing large scale events to take place?

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

AARDVARK wrote:
Sat 07 Nov 2020, 7:39 pm
maybe the mass quick testing that’s being rolled out in Liverpool may hold the answer to allowing large scale events to take place?
Another hick-up in the entrance operation? Personally, I still hope there will be a vaccin by that time.
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

MiG_Eater

Post by MiG_Eater »

RIAT Air Ops wrote:
Fri 06 Nov 2020, 5:13 pm
Traveller wrote:
Incorrect.

Planning for the Royal International Air Tattoo 2021 is underway and you can be assured that safety for our visitors, staff & participants is our number one priority (as it is every year). The whole team at Douglas Bader House are using all available guidelines and resources to ensure we deliver a professional & COVID Secure event next year, and celebrate the Air Tattoo's 50th anniversary in style.

Further information about the plans for RIAT 2021 will be announced in an appropriate fashion to our loyal customers once details are confirmed.

Cheers,
Peter
If I walk through the gates at Fairford next July I will be elated, whatever turns up. Keep going Peter, RIAT is so much more than just an airshow and means the world to so very many of us.

AndrewW

Post by AndrewW »

If I walk through the gates at Fairford next July I will be elated, whatever turns up. Keep going Peter, RIAT is so much more than just an airshow and means the world to so very many of us.
Seconded.

CJS

Post by CJS »

RIAT Air Ops wrote:
Fri 06 Nov 2020, 5:13 pm
Traveller wrote:
Incorrect.

Cheers,
Peter
Excellent news Peter, thanks for the update.

Traveller - you may want to have a word with your source :rofl:
You can't polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

Good news about a possible vaccine today.

Thanks for the update, Peter. Looking forward to RIAT 2021 and returning to Fairford for the weekend as long as it is safe to do so.

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

I hope they come up with something as I can no imagine myself sitting in a taxi than shuttle bus for over Three hours wearing a mask the full time with my breathing, thats if Fairford was opened back up.
Last edited by IATthenRIAT on Thu 12 Nov 2020, 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

verreli

Post by verreli »

It seems like processes are being rolled out to open up mass attendance events in Q1 2021 (e.g. covid test wrist bands). Optimism is building for a particular event next July. I just hope air arms commit to and work up the solo's. I guess the worst case is that national display teams will be available.

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

verreli wrote:
Thu 12 Nov 2020, 10:08 am
It seems like processes are being rolled out to open up mass attendance events in Q1 2021 (e.g. covid test wrist bands). Optimism is building for a particular event next July. I just hope air arms commit to and work up the solo's. I guess the worst case is that national display teams will be available.
Wonder if they will do the same as for music shows expecting either negative result with proof via phone (even with the PCR test not being reliable by a long stretch (Matt Hancocks own words) or proof of vaccine injection.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

The problem with that is testing... you can't guarantee you will be able to get a test within the time period required.