Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | "soul-sapping mundanity"

RAF4EVER

Re: RIAT 2021 Participation and Discussion Thread

Post by RAF4EVER »

CJS wrote:
Wed 09 Dec 2020, 12:44 pm
Streffo123 wrote:
Wed 09 Dec 2020, 12:27 pm
Of course the team themselves didn’t say this but the pilot has said this. Take this with what you will but it now seems unlikely
I would imagine the pilot probably considers him/herself to be somewhat integral to 'the team' though :lol:
He is merely a seat to stick interface unit. :grin: :grin: :grin:

Hog

Post by Hog »

Really pleased the A-10 is coming always wanted to see their display, hope it is flying both days we are going on the Sunday this year. Fingers crossed.

JJC

Post by JJC »

Awesome! Didn’t think we’d get to see one again after the 2011 appearance (I went Saturday only when it went tech a short while after running in) - everything crossed the event can go ahead!!

Hopefully that lovely heritage-schemed jet will make the trip.
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

Can't get to get excited, when the event may not go ahead.

If the plan is to push on, then let's hope it's deliverable and communicated at the earliest possibility.

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

Flare Path wrote:
Thu 10 Dec 2020, 7:14 pm

If the plan is to push on, then let's hope it's deliverable and communicated at the earliest possibility.
let's keep some positivity, i think we all need some.
it may not happen, but we know a lot more about the virus, particularly how it acts during the summer months and that there is going to be a widely available vaccine in the course of 2021.
i am prepared for another write off year, but im 52/48% positive we will get RIAT in some form next year

CJS

Post by CJS »

Flare Path wrote:

Obviously, I would have thought, the plan at least is to 'push on', otherwise why would the A-10 team have self confirmed (I know, it's TBC, but whatever, they wouldn't have done if there was no planned show to self confirm for).
With just the slightest bit of finesse, I might have made a little less mess.

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

rockfordstone wrote:
Thu 10 Dec 2020, 8:53 pm
Flare Path wrote:

let's keep some positivity, i think we all need some.
it may not happen, but we know a lot more about the virus, particularly how it acts during the summer months and that there is going to be a widely available vaccine in the course of 2021.
i am prepared for another write off year, but im 52/48% positive we will get RIAT in some form next year
This is about where I'm at, too. It's a great start, but I don't want to get excited!

aviodromefriend

Post by aviodromefriend »

We'll just have to wait for about three months to see what happens. That was when they pulled the plug out this year, that will also be the time they will have to decide about next year. As long as we will get Thursday updates, it is on (unless the update is: it is off). BTW where was yesterday's Warthog update? Haven't received it!
A weather forecast is a forecast and just that

Mike Moses, Launch Integration Manager Space Shuttle Program

edhunter

Post by edhunter »

aviodromefriend wrote:
Fri 11 Dec 2020, 5:55 pm
We'll just have to wait for about three months to see what happens. That was when they pulled the plug out this year, that will also be the time they will have to decide about next year. As long as we will get Thursday updates, it is on (unless the update is: it is off). BTW where was yesterday's Warthog update? Haven't received it!
Updates might not start until the new year and besides they might not of received the paperwork yet.

jasonT1981

Post by jasonT1981 »

aviodromefriend wrote:
DBH policy has always been to only announce aircraft once the paperwork has been signed off and sent to them.

'Self confirms' like the one we got this week are basically an intention to be at the show with said assets having receive an invite to be at the show but until paperwork is 100% filed and sent its still only a self confirm. Not all self confirms actually make it to shows. Think the Swedish Historic Flight who always self confirm but have not been in a long while.

JJC

Post by JJC »

jasonT1981 wrote:
Fri 11 Dec 2020, 9:40 pm
aviodromefriend wrote:
DBH policy has always been to only announce aircraft once the paperwork has been signed off and sent to them.

'Self confirms' like the one we got this week are basically an intention to be at the show with said assets having receive an invite to be at the show but until paperwork is 100% filed and sent its still only a self confirm. Not all self confirms actually make it to shows. Think the Swedish Historic Flight who always self confirm but have not been in a long while.
On the other hand, I can’t remember when (if?) something self confirmed from the USAF and was a no show/never added to the official lineup....

I think the post meant in relation to the show going ahead - rather than official confirmation of the A-10 by DBH themselves.
''Time to dive into the fireworks!''

bobby 1211

Post by bobby 1211 »

Do you think air arms will be more likely to reject an invite to riat 2021 because of covid? Also could the fact that we are not in the EU anymore effect anything?

verreli

Post by verreli »

bobby 1211 wrote:
Wed 16 Dec 2020, 1:26 am
Do you think air arms will be more likely to reject an invite to riat 2021 because of covid? Also could the fact that we are not in the EU anymore effect anything?
Yes and No.

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

bobby 1211 wrote:
Covid yes, Brexit no.
in terms of military union, we are still part of NATO and the UN so unless there is massive breakdown between the UK and other members those relationships will still remain largely intact

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

Dear Air Tattoo Supporters,

Thank you for your understanding and patience over the past nine months, particularly those of you that carried over your tickets for the Air Tattoo next year. It's been an interesting time for all of us as we try to navigate the new 'normal' and endeavour to keep a positive outlook as we move towards 2021.

Planning for the 50th Anniversary Air Tattoo next July is well underway and rest assured that safety is our number one priority, as it is every year, but clearly more so for 2021. The RIAT Team has been working with the relevant authorities and is using all of the available guidelines and resources to plan for a professional and COVID-secure event next year. Irrespective of whatever government guidance and restrictions may be in place we will strive to ensure that we can deliver a worthy celebration of a significant milestone in RIAT's history.

However, it is likely that next year's show will take place under different circumstances than normal and there may well be changes to the event in a number of areas as we have to demonstrate compliance with the evolving national situation. Notwithstanding, I am pleased to say we have had a positive response from the world's air arms and aircraft operators, and we will do our utmost to give you an Air Tattoo worthy of your support and commitment.

More information will be forthcoming in the New Year regarding any specific changes once we understand more clearly what and how they may impact our plans for delivery of the event. In the meantime, I would like to thank you again for your continued support, and I wish you and your families a happy and safe Christmas from all of us at the Air Tattoo.

Best Wishes,
Paul Atherton
CEO RAFCTE

Spotty_Jag

Post by Spotty_Jag »

bobby 1211 wrote:
Yes & Yes.

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

I'm hoping it's not going to be too different. I can't really see what changes could be made whilst keeping the scale and integrity of the event intact.

Surely the big one is social distancing. If social distancing is in place, FRIAT and other enclosures are out of the question, and the meetings of the air arms etc will be impacted, though possible I guess?

verreli

Post by verreli »

G-CVIX wrote:
Wed 16 Dec 2020, 1:38 pm
Surely the big one is social distancing. If social distancing is in place, FRIAT and other enclosures are out of the question, and the meetings of the air arms etc will be impacted, though possible I guess?
Those are just some of the challenges. Even crowd line distancing would be a challenge. I noticed that quite a few of the hospitality enclosures are already sold out.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

verreli wrote:
Wed 16 Dec 2020, 3:02 pm
G-CVIX wrote:
Those are just some of the challenges. Even crowd line distancing would be a challenge. I noticed that quite a few of the hospitality enclosures are already sold out.
FRIAT enclosure will just increase in size to take up all of the crowdline, easy.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

bobby 1211 wrote:
Only if their Dad is bigger than our Dad.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

capercaillie wrote:
Wed 16 Dec 2020, 3:23 pm
verreli wrote:
Wed 16 Dec 2020, 3:02 pm
G-CVIX wrote:
FRIAT enclosure will just increase in size to take up all of the crowdline, easy.
:smile: you beat me to it Mr C. Really though FRIAT isn't out of the question, it just needs an adjustment in space allocated in the grandstand or a reduced capacity. I can't remember whether it was sold out, so maybe the latter is possible.

And having the vaccine now, things should - should! - be better by then for outdoor events. Its good, positive news that the show is happening. I'm not expecting it to be big, but it'll be welcome and a far better option than a defeatist cancellation.
its time to kick the tyres and light the fires

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151934326@N08/albums

edhunter

Post by edhunter »

i really hope riat 2021 goes ahead as it will give me and hopefully everyone else a massive boost and after the letter from the ceo of rafcte it really looks promising, but after recent events what is the thoughts of everyone else on here is it still a go or wait and see?

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

edhunter wrote:
Tue 05 Jan 2021, 1:22 pm
i really hope riat 2021 goes ahead as it will give me and hopefully everyone else a massive boost and after the letter from the ceo of rafcte it really looks promising, but after recent events what is the thoughts of everyone else on here is it still a go or wait and see?
at this point it is totally reliant on a vaccine being administered to as many people as possible and it being effective. IF all high risk categories are vaccinated by february as they are saying and if we manage to push the number down it may be possible, but i have got less and less positive about the prospect of us having one since the numbers began to rise again.

whilst i have no doubt RIAT could deliver a safe show, i have no faith that the government can get us near a point where it would be safe