RIAT 2021 Participation and Discussion Thread

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
verreli

Re: RIAT 2021 Participation and Discussion Thread

Post by verreli »

harkins wrote:
Sun 17 Jan 2021, 4:43 pm
Here’s hoping science can pull this off.
Science has done its bit. It's down to the rate of needles in arms now and the numbers look good to me. Lets hope they continue and there's no resistant strain.

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

Considering how many variables there are and how many factors have to be "spot on" in order to hold the event on time, I think its very unlikley. Also consider that, as an event where profits go the charity, there is an obligation not to waste money organising an event that is then cancelled. It's a very hard balance but, sometimes, cancelling early will actually save money.
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

TYPHOON3

Post by TYPHOON3 »

I don't think the show will go ahead in July. There might be a better chance in September if it could be held that late ? Does anyone know when the latest cut off point/date is regards a final decision. Guessing around end of March ?

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

I think whatever the situation is, RIAT need to get some sort of PR going to tell people, even if they haven’t made a decision, what the latest is.

It’d be interesting to hear the difficulties they face, which is easy, and which are problematic, and what the alternatives are if it must cancel or postpone.

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

I agree. It would be brilliant to have a show, but I'd just like to know either way, sooner rather than later. I have all my holiday in for the week as usual but I think I may end up moving it.

I have heard from a friend in the entertainment industry that they have been told to expect to be free from social distancing restrictions in July, but from April until July, there will be social distancing regulations in place. This is from a chap who runs a large venue so the context is live music.

It could be completely wrong and I don't know exactly who they have heard from, but it seemed a worthwhile bit of information to pass on.

Personally I do not expect an event of RIAT scale will be viable in six months time.

Harlequin67
UKAR Supporter

Post by Harlequin67 »

Not only do we need vaccination to be very advanced in this country, but also in many other countries too. I expect DBH are in contact with many foreign air forces who have no idea if they can make it to RIAT. All we can do is watch and wait, and if the show goes ahead then I expect fewer air arms to be in attendance.
Aviation photographer - Achievement unlocked

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

TYPHOON3 wrote:
Mon 18 Jan 2021, 9:43 pm
I don't think the show will go ahead in July. There might be a better chance in September if it could be held that late ? Does anyone know when the latest cut off point/date is regards a final decision. Guessing around end of March ?
wasn't the scampton show in September? shuttleworth and duxford have shows in september so it is possible. i think it would be more likely they show would be postponed another year as opposed to throwing something together late on
Last edited by rockfordstone on Wed 20 Jan 2021, 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

rockfordstone wrote:
Wed 20 Jan 2021, 9:20 am
wasn't the scampton show in december?
No.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

capercaillie wrote:
Wed 20 Jan 2021, 10:47 am
rockfordstone wrote:
Wed 20 Jan 2021, 9:20 am
wasn't the scampton show in december?
No.
i have no explanation as to why i put december when i meant september......

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

Sanicole is also in September, and shares much of the RIAT participant-base. It certainly seemed the case that Scampton lost out due to to this.
its time to kick the tyres and light the fires

https://www.flickr.com/photos/151934326@N08/albums

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

Glastonbury festival cancelled. Think that gives you an Idea of what to expect...

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Flare Path wrote:
Thu 21 Jan 2021, 12:52 pm
Glastonbury festival cancelled. Think that gives you an Idea of what to expect...
.....no stage and singers this year?
"The surrogate voice of st24"

Rossbeef

Post by Rossbeef »

Hopefully that will free up Alexandra Burke for RIAT then.

spellow3010

Post by spellow3010 »

I'm with Tommy on this - whilst no news is often met with 'nothing to worry about,' I think in this case, it's important for people already invested in this event (the rolled over FRIAT packages etc) to be honest and up front about progress, what to expect and what can be done if either

a) the event is cancelled again
b) options for people who might wish to stay away even if the event goes ahead.

Most people I would think were expecting 2021 to see a return to normality. It seems increasingly likely that this year is actually going to be another bust on a very wide array of activities. Even with the vaccine. They've still got the trump card up their sleeve about transmissibility to keep us under the thumb for years even having had the double jab.

Flare Path

Post by Flare Path »

capercaillie wrote:
Thu 21 Jan 2021, 1:23 pm
Flare Path wrote:
Thu 21 Jan 2021, 12:52 pm
.....no stage and singers this year?
Indeed - more to-do with the infrastructure to support the event, less the headline acts. But If one of the worlds largest music festivals is unable to proceed, what chance do other summer shows have?

You can be optimistic, but you have to see the other possibility too.

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

I think the Glastonbury team have been very fair with this announcement and other organisers of large events in June/July should take a leaf from this. Most punters are very understanding if treated with fairness and transparency. On the other hand, they have every right to be frustrated if events are officially cancelled at much shorter notice. Considering Glastonbury, with an annual turnover of around 50 million can make the call, I think its fair to expect some news concerning RIAT.
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

microlight

Post by microlight »

I have tickets for RIAT carried over from 2020 , to be honest at this stage and the way things are panning out , I wouldn't object to my tickets rolling over into 2022 and write off this years show - better safe than sorry. The pandemic situation just cannot be predicted unfortunately
Pentax K5
18-55mm
Pentax 55-300mm

Wet Weather Gear .......!!!

verreli

Post by verreli »

pbeardmore wrote:
Thu 21 Jan 2021, 4:01 pm
I think the Glastonbury team have been very fair with this announcement...
So RIAT can wait 3 weeks before making an anouncement and still be very fair. Perhaps 5 weeks and still be fair; 8 weeks and be pretty fair...

I'd wait until Easter. Things will be much clearer then.

Dan213

Post by Dan213 »

verreli wrote:
Thu 21 Jan 2021, 10:00 pm
pbeardmore wrote:
Thu 21 Jan 2021, 4:01 pm
I think the Glastonbury team have been very fair with this announcement...
So RIAT can wait 3 weeks before making an anouncement and still be very fair. Perhaps 5 weeks and still be fair; 8 weeks and be pretty fair...

I'd wait until Easter. Things will be much clearer then.
I think you have to consider the planning invloved, accomodation for aircrew, booking exihbits etc etc. Waiting til Easter is really too late for a large event...
Last edited by Dan213 on Fri 22 Jan 2021, 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

If this show goes ahead then I will be amazed quite frankly, if you think of the logistics involved with air attaches ,accommodation, diplomatic processes, training of air demo crews, these things are not on any priority list anytime soon for governments, just trying to function in any normal way is hard enough at present, not to mention the fact that it might be impossible to actually get insurance for large scale events at present (and one of the reasons why Glastonbury was cancelled apparently), with the world still trying to re-boot from Covid-19 and the ongoing pandemic which will be with us well into the autumn in one way or another.
If we are lucky 2022 might just go-ahead, now you can chastise and mock my comments as much as you like but sadly that’s the truth, unless DBH have some really amazing solution up their sleeve that no one else has considered for a mass event during this pandemic to keep people safe?
It’s heartening to see millions being vaccinated every week and that does bring a long term solution, but sadly I think this year, although we can certainly see light at the end of the tunnel, we aren’t going to reach it in time!
But what do I know!

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-heal ... SKBN29Q2KT

Sadly I think if summer holidays are in doubt, large events must be hugely in doubt.

I think we will largely see a similar summer to last year with restrictions being lifted but not to the point of "normal". I think we'll see social distancing and face coverings in place all year. I believe we might see smaller shows take place, but the large military shows will not. I feel overly optimistic even saying that!

My only real hope for a big airshow is Sanicole, purely because it's in September, but we may have to deal with travel restrictions and Brexit might make it a little more of a pain to get over there.

I wonder if DBH could give us a date where a decision would be made? I'm very "planning orientated" so naturally not knowing does my head in!

verreli

Post by verreli »

AARDVARK wrote:
Fri 22 Jan 2021, 2:18 am
But what do I know!
About the same as the rest of the general public? Your thoughts are quite plausible. I had previously posted that I felt Glastonbury was slightly less than 50:50 and RIAT slightly more. It's a close call either way but I remain an island of optimism in a sea of pessimism.

LinkGaz56

Post by LinkGaz56 »

It is a shame to say it but I have to agree with Aardvark's comments. I was feeling optimistic but having watched the news last night and them reporting that his lockdown could go into the summer then I can't see any way RIAT will go ahead. Already a number of large events I usually attend have been cancelled or at least postponed to later in the year, the Royal Norfolk and Suffolk County shows cancelled way before Christmas, all the major British motorsport Championships have released revised schedules not starting until May and Great Dorset Steam Fair are due to make an announcement next month, widely expected to be that it is cancelled. I know none of those are aviation related but they are all large scale public events, like Glastonbury.
I know I will probably be accused of being negative but I am now being realistic, last year I done hardly any events and its looking that way again this year.

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

microlight wrote:
Thu 21 Jan 2021, 4:05 pm
I have tickets for RIAT carried over from 2020 , to be honest at this stage and the way things are panning out , I wouldn't object to my tickets rolling over into 2022 and write off this years show - better safe than sorry. The pandemic situation just cannot be predicted unfortunately
that's where i'm at. i paid for my ticket in 2019, so it makes no odds whether i carry it over or not at this point
with the government constantly moving the goalposts on vaccines, lockdown relaxation, i can't see how we will be in a place for it to go ahead. i'm normally an optimist but i'm resigned to the fact it will be cancelled again.

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

Just one ellement to consider is the vaccine roll out. When we have as many pros and qualified volunteers working to distribute the vaccine ASAP, I cant see how they can justify taking staff away from this roll to supply medical cover at an airshow. The messages coming out of gov recently are clearly to manage our expectations re the Summer and that makes perfect sense. Just because an event has not officially cancelled does not mean we cant come to our own realistic conclusion.
Last edited by pbeardmore on Fri 22 Jan 2021, 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.