Re: RIAT 2021 Participation and Discussion Thread

Post by FarnboroJohn »

IATthenRIAT wrote:
Thu 18 Feb 2021, 11:04 pm
RIAT Air Ops wrote:
Thu 18 Feb 2021, 5:41 pm
spellow3010 wrote:
Thu 18 Feb 2021, 11:31 am
And if VAT 2021 becomes a thing this summer, I'd like to see more footage of air arms in action, and less 'talking' overall. Just my two pence worth. Happy days everyone...
Virtual Air Tattoo will be making a return in July. :thumbsup_tone1:
I am not being funny but what is the point of that? surely Its a bit like watching someone eat the Most Gorgeous Curry and not able to smell or tast it yourself.
Have you ever heard the phrase "better than nothing"?

I wonder if the BBC still has the tapes from HM's Silver Jubilee RAF demonstration in 1977. Vulcan lay-down bombing, live hot turn-round of Phantoms, Jags shooting up Salisbury Plain and more. On my wish list the way things are going at the moment. Do we need a VAT participation thread?

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

IATthenRIAT wrote:
RIAT Air Ops wrote:
spellow3010 wrote:
And if VAT 2021 becomes a thing this summer, I'd like to see more footage of air arms in action, and less 'talking' overall. Just my two pence worth. Happy days everyone...
I am not being funny but what is the point of that? surely Its a bit like watching someone eat the Most Gorgeous Curry and not able to smell or tast it yourself.
I'm afraid I'm with you. I didn't watch last years and won't be watching this years either.
I't just upsets me more to be reminded of all the things I'll be missing so just rubs salt into the wound...Sorry.
...Rad shutters auto.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

I really liked the VAT last year. It was something different and something rather than nothing and at least fun to sit down with a few beers. Seems like a weird thing to have any kind of objection to to be honest.
Twitter: @samwise24 | Flickr: samwise24 | "soul-sapping mundanity"

RAF4EVER

Post by RAF4EVER »

Also not a fan of VAT, did not watch last year,and it will be the same this year

MarkEstus

Post by MarkEstus »

Couldn't agree more. I tried to watch last year's VAT and I have never been so bored, the commentary from planes TV had no enthusiasm and ruined it in my opinion.
Last edited by MarkEstus on Fri 19 Feb 2021, 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

clearstone

Post by clearstone »

I suspect any virtual event this year may struggle to repeat the popularity of those held year unless we're in another very harsh lockdown. Yes, there will be those few dozen die-hards which watch every airshow livestream religiously but will many of the wider audience really be that fussed? (ie. Those we really want to remind that RIAT and other airshows are still here?)

VAT 2020 was a nice touch, but it probably had its moment in the form of a live 'television' production. It will be competing again a lot more established live sport/entertainment (which itself was only just restarting in July 2020) and probably a few more freedoms for the population. In general, aviation and airshows never really transfer to the small screen very well - if it did you would see a lot more of it on television.
Last edited by clearstone on Fri 19 Feb 2021, 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sithrity

Post by sithrity »

RIAT Air Ops wrote:
spellow3010 wrote:
Well I'm glad the Virtual Air Tattoo is returning this year, for us people who do see the point and choose to tune in.
I don't know everything there is to know about our hobby.

Kids, aviation, missus then responsibilities, (in that order)

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

RAF4EVER wrote:
Fri 19 Feb 2021, 9:26 am
Also not a fan of VAT, did not watch last year,and it will be the same this year
How can you “not [be] a fan of VAT” if you didn’t watch it?

RAF4EVER

Post by RAF4EVER »

not into anything VIRTUAL

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

🤷🏼‍♂️

Might be worth a watch before you declare you’re not a fan, is all.

You do know that it wasn’t all virtual displays, right? Lots of pretty awesome real footage, both archive, and from 2020.

Personally, I really enjoyed it. Whacked on the BBQ, cracked open a beer, you can dip in and out whenever you like. As a substitute, it was pretty top, I thought.

I’ve not quite understood why so many people have to declare that they’re not into something. I’m not into plenty of things, but I just let others others enjoy it. I don’t need to loudly declare that I wasn’t a fan of Bridgerton, or I can’t really get into F1 whenever there’s a race on. I’m just happy people who do like it are enjoying themselves. I don’t sit there asking “what’s the point?!” Just because I’m personally not a fan of it.

keithjs

Post by keithjs »

RAF4EVER wrote:
Fri 19 Feb 2021, 11:08 am
Ditto I'm afraid. I think we'll all just have to agree to differ on this one.
...Rad shutters auto.

rockfordstone

Post by rockfordstone »

i quite enjoyed it last year. lets be fair to them, last year they put it on on the hoof using mainly stock footage, flight sims etc. no doubt they have had it in their minds since last year in case the same thing happened again so i expect it will be better than last year with potentially more input from their air arms.

As with anything, if it doesn't tickle your fancy no one is going to force you into watching it

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

RAF4EVER wrote:
You know this forum is virtual discussion, right?

RAF4EVER

Post by RAF4EVER »

:slight_smile: I know that,just not into VAT

TouchDown

Post by TouchDown »

I wonder if the BBC still has the tapes from HM's Silver Jubilee RAF demonstration in 1977. Vulcan lay-down bombing, live hot turn-round of Phantoms, Jags shooting up Salisbury Plain and more. On my wish list the way things are going at the moment. Do we need a VAT participation thread?

The Skywatch programme from 1974 (narrator Raymond Baxter) doing all of the above is on YouTube -

TD

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

TouchDown wrote:
Fri 19 Feb 2021, 6:29 pm

The Skywatch programme from 1974 (narrator Raymond Baxter) doing all of the above is on YouTube -

TD
TYVM, I'll have a look later. Good old Raymond - a presenter from the days when presenters knew their subject instead of just how to present.

Roger_Over

Post by Roger_Over »

Re the jubilee year this is a reminder of the number and diversity of aircraft the RAF used to have, wow what a line up. Here's to supporting RIAT in 2022, my four tickets are carried over. I'll do something sponsored for RAFCTE this year to compensate for not attending.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Another +1 for the VAT. I enjoyed it last year. It was different (obviously) but fascinating nonetheless, my son enjoyed it and even my infinitely better half watched a bit.

I'm with Andy though - donate a little (if you can) at the same time 👍🏼
With just the slightest bit of finesse, I might have made a little less mess.

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

Wissam24 wrote:
Fri 19 Feb 2021, 5:09 pm
RAF4EVER wrote:
About actual physical planes - not computer generated simulation, there is a difference.

IATthenRIAT

Post by IATthenRIAT »

Roger_Over wrote:
Fri 19 Feb 2021, 10:24 pm
Re the jubilee year this is a reminder of the number and diversity of aircraft the RAF used to have, wow what a line up. Here's to supporting RIAT in 2022, my four tickets are carried over. I'll do something sponsored for RAFCTE this year to compensate for not attending.

We had probably more planes back then than the Whole of NATO have now.

xr221

Post by xr221 »

Yes, the BBC does still have their recording - details here, but it's not available online. Being as the Silver Jubilee British Army review is available, maybe the BBC should be encouraged to also show the RAF and Navy reviews? https://www.gettyimages.com.au/detail/v ... BC_1750165
FarnboroJohn wrote:
Fri 19 Feb 2021, 7:10 am
IATthenRIAT wrote:
RIAT Air Ops wrote:
spellow3010 wrote:
Have you ever heard the phrase "better than nothing"?

Tommy
UKAR Staff

Post by Tommy »

IATthenRIAT wrote:
Fri 19 Feb 2021, 11:44 pm
Wissam24 wrote:
Fri 19 Feb 2021, 5:09 pm
RAF4EVER wrote:
About actual physical planes - not computer generated simulation, there is a difference.
And you do know that VAT had actual physical planes in it, right? Like archive footage and displays? Some of it previously unseen, iirc.

Wissam24
UKAR Staff

Post by Wissam24 »

Not to mention lots with the people involved with them as well.

RAF4EVER

Post by RAF4EVER »

Just received my Email about rolling over my ticket for next year:

What You Need to Do - By Midday on Thursday 4 March

If You Would Like to Carry Over to 2022 (our ideal option!):

Do nothing and your booking will automatically be carried over to 2022, keeping the 2019 prices that were held for 2020 and 2021. Should you want a part refund or a change to your tickets please rollover and we will be in touch before we go on sale with 2022 tickets to do this for you.

We will email you by the end of September to confirm your 2022 booking, there is no need to contact us, your tickets are secure. If you booked a Viewing Village Grandstand seat or FRIAT package your seat number will be carried over too. Thank you!

If You Would Like A Refund (please read carefully):

Only follow these steps if:

You want an automatic refund of the whole booking (not part).
The account your original payment came from is still active. If it is not please contact Customer Services on 01285 713456

Go to the My Orders page.
Click on your 2021 booking.
You will see 'Your order is eligible for refund, please click here to request your refund'.
If you click this your refund will be automatically refunded so, please don't click this unless you are totally sure you want a refund (we had to reinstate some orders last time!).
Should you want a part refund or a change to your tickets please rollover and we will be in touch before we go on sale with 2022 tickets
If you have multiple orders you will need to select each one.
You will receive an email to confirm you have requested a refund.
The funds will be returned to the card/account they were booked with and should be back in your account within 10 days.
If you have forgotten your password, please use the password reset function to gain access to your account or telephone Customer Services on 01285 713456 (9am-5pm, Monday - Friday) to reset your password.

Our team are working remotely so phone lines may take longer to answer than usual which is why we have tried to make this as easy as possible to request a refund online via your account. Remember, you need to do this by midday on Thursday 4 March.

If you were wanting to support us further, in addition to rolling over your tickets, you can do so by purchasing merchandise HERE, donating to the charity HERE or by texting TRUST to 70490 to donate £5. We appreciate that the pandemic has brought tough times for everyone and are therefore most grateful for your support which will help us deliver an excellent RIAT22.

Thank you, your help is much appreciated!

Kind regards

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

RAF4EVER wrote:
Wed 24 Feb 2021, 2:51 pm
Just received my Email about rolling over my ticket for next year:
Just make sure the floor is clean first.
"The surrogate voice of st24"