RAF Scampton Closing Ceremony

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Andover

RAF Scampton Closing Ceremony

Post by Andover »

Georgeconna

Re: RAF Scampton Closing Ceremony

Post by Georgeconna »

Acrobats.....very low key for such a station.
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

Impressive that the recording was done 30 years before the broadcast! Not sure I've seen something recorded in 4:3 for a very long time.

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

This is what makes this forum great. Rather than comment on the closure of a historic and important airbase, there's a comment about the video format. Well played sir.

Orion

Post by Orion »

https://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/news ... on-7549714
BBC News - RAF Scampton: Flypast and parade mark closure of Dambusters station
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-l ... e-62769304
Last edited by Orion on Thu 08 Sep 2022, 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Georgeconna

Post by Georgeconna »

DerekF wrote:
Thu 08 Sep 2022, 9:28 am
This is what makes this forum great. Rather than comment on the closure of a historic and important airbase, there's a comment about the video format. Well played sir.
TBh the coverage was Virtually Zero except for one a 2 vids. Kinda sums it up really about how it was filmed. SAD to see another bit of history that might just Vanish. Remember the Lanc and Tall boys out side on a visit in the 80's
Cheers

George

Zero shows for 2018 Giving in a Rest.

JMC

Post by JMC »

Just six reds, what a sorry sight!

pb643

Post by pb643 »

JMC wrote:
Thu 08 Sep 2022, 1:54 pm
Just six reds, what a sorry sight!
Just 2 for the final display. 6 for a flypast only.

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

Underwhelming in the extreme! A National embarrassment, the sooner they disband the better. :grimacing:

Gt5500

Post by Gt5500 »

Stagger2 wrote:
Fri 09 Sep 2022, 11:48 am
Underwhelming in the extreme! A National embarrassment, the sooner they disband the better. :grimacing:
Yes of course, because the best way to fix something is to just get rid of it...

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

There comes a time with most things when it costs too much to repair the aging parts or irreparable damage caused. Most commonly referred to as a "write-off" & disposed of as scrap!
In financial & physical terms I consider the current Red's more than fit the criteria? :boom:

Gt5500

Post by Gt5500 »

Great... Most of us do not

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

"Most of us do not" is based on what top statistical information? Maybe a trivial poll on this forum might give a clearer indication of others' views. :face_with_monocle:

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

Stagger2 wrote:
Fri 16 Sep 2022, 1:28 am
"Most of us do not" is based on what top statistical information? Maybe a trivial poll on this forum might give a clearer indication of others' views. :face_with_monocle:
I was on the South Bank for the Platinum Jubilee flypast. Large numbers of the public watched it with normal conversation levels, but when the Red Arrows put their smoke on there was a spontaneous cheer all along the river bank. I think "Most of us do not" speaks for the nation.

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

None of those people were at RIAT then, because from where I stood the Frecce and Black Eagles got a massive round of applause and cheers, the Reds got practically nothing.

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

cg_341 wrote:
Fri 16 Sep 2022, 7:41 am
None of those people were at RIAT then, because from where I stood the Frecce and Black Eagles got a massive round of applause and cheers, the Reds got practically nothing.
Indeed, however I suggest that assessment of individual performances is different from appreciation for the institution.

Stagger2

Post by Stagger2 »

FWIW I also viewed the above events as described & experienced exactly the same response! Probably the main point coming from this is, as a ceremonial flypast of 9 jets with patriotic smoke trails at a historic occasion they're a brilliant sight of National pride!
As a dis-jointed 7-ship demonstration Team spending 90% of their time way-off in the distance whilst little happens crowd-centre, then not for me! :sleeping: :sleeping:

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

To be fair, at Cosford and Fairford after the Reds displayed I heard nothing but whooping and hollering loudly as usual from the crowds. It was perhaps louder after the Koreans but as has been said before they are a class above.

That also said, if nine or in this case seven red steaming turds wearing RAF roundels appeared in the air, put together a disjointed display in the distance with less flow than a dried up river, I'm sure the great unwashed would still whoop and holler when they finished.

I'm not sure whooping and hollering is a sign of regard or not.
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Gt5500

Post by Gt5500 »

cg_341 wrote:
Fri 16 Sep 2022, 7:41 am
Which means nothing in this context, it may, at a stretch, mean that people didn't like their display this year at RIAT.
However, what is being suggested is that most of the nation think the Reds should be scrapped because they're no good. Something which I personally think is nonsense.

Edit, apologies for continuing to drag this thread off course

Thoughtful_Flyer

Post by Thoughtful_Flyer »

FarnboroJohn wrote:
Fri 16 Sep 2022, 7:32 am
Stagger2 wrote:
I was on the South Bank for the Platinum Jubilee flypast. Large numbers of the public watched it with normal conversation levels, but when the Red Arrows put their smoke on there was a spontaneous cheer all along the river bank. I think "Most of us do not" speaks for the nation.
But that is very different from a paying audience, at a big airshow, watching a full display and comparing it to a couple of high class teams from overseas that we don't get many opportunities to watch.

I have always been sceptical about the jingoistic "best in the world" tag that many like to bestow on the Reds. Sadly in recent years I think they would struggle to be in the top three. Certainly this year the trend has been down rather than up.

FarnboroJohn

Post by FarnboroJohn »

Thoughtful_Flyer wrote:
Fri 16 Sep 2022, 11:15 am
FarnboroJohn wrote:
Fri 16 Sep 2022, 7:32 am
Stagger2 wrote:
But that is very different from a paying audience, at a big airshow, watching a full display and comparing it to a couple of high class teams from overseas that we don't get many opportunities to watch.

I have always been sceptical about the jingoistic "best in the world" tag that many like to bestow on the Reds. Sadly in recent years I think they would struggle to be in the top three. Certainly this year the trend has been down rather than up.
I would not disagree with the positional assessment. I have said before that I think the Frecce are currently peerless. However, that is a million miles from writing off RAFAT just because they are having a fairly awful season.

Gt5500

Post by Gt5500 »

FarnboroJohn wrote:
Fri 16 Sep 2022, 12:18 pm
I would not disagree with the positional assessment. I have said before that I think the Frecce are currently peerless. However, that is a million miles from writing off RAFAT just because they are having a fairly awful season.
Finally someone gets it

DOUGHNUT

Post by DOUGHNUT »

And the thread is actually about the MOD quietly closing another RAF base. Regardless of Scampton's public profile, WW2 bomber station, cold war nuclear base or lately home of the Red Arrows, the location, its history and more importantly its people deserve better.

Binbrook 01

Post by Binbrook 01 »

Well its soon to be joined by the former RAF Finningley by the look of it

BobL

Post by BobL »

Makes me sad to see all these stations closing...
Underneath my gruff exterior lies an even gruffer interior...