Weather

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
Abingdonman

Re: Weather

Post by Abingdonman »

The forecasters can be so very wrong...we went to a pick your own farm Tuesday afternoon,they said it would rain cats and dogs but we took the chance anyway...and it only rained water!
and the water wasnt very warm either! :grin:

Abingdonman

Post by Abingdonman »

Ive just checked the BBC weather forecast for the next 4 days......the best you can hope for is that Michael Fish devised it! :wink:

Feel Heel

Post by Feel Heel »

Looks like Fairford might be getting some wet stuff later today, with whats moving in from the West....

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

scoop

Post by scoop »

Hurn wrote:As long as the cloudbase isn't as low as at Yeovilton you'll probably be ok.

Is there any data availalbe yet to suggest what the height of the cloudbase will be for the weekend? Or is it too unpredictable?
Honorary Flying Display Director, Little-Groat-on-the-Wold International Festival of the Air, 2009

garethbrum

Post by garethbrum »

Feel Heel wrote:Looks like Fairford might be getting some wet stuff later today, with whats moving in from the West....

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/radar/

There's weather warnings everywhere although it does appear that for the SW the worst may be overnight.

Just showery for the weekend so I don't think we have too much to worry about.

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

banksy wrote:
rich735 wrote:
banksy wrote:NetWeather seems to put in a little better light for Friday:

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=uk7dayx7;page=3;type=free;ct=10655~Fairford;sess=#forecast

Apart from a torrential downpour in the middle of the night, it appears to be light rain the rest of the day.

Blimey, this is agonizing!

Saturday does look really good though.

Hi,

The weather system I use Accuweather shows for Friday hour by hour a bit of a mixture, see link.

http://www.accuweather.com/ukie/forecast-hourly.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=0&postalcode=GL7%204AA&metric=1&hbhday=3&hbhhour=7

What an unfortunate name the Long Range and Extreme Weather Expert has... :grin:

Not as bad as his email address bastardi@accuweather.com
Did you hear about the dyslexic pimp? He bought a ware house!
Proud member of the Silverstone Marshalling Team

stuart n

Post by stuart n »

:grin: :grin:
I've had a good look around the web at forecasts for the weekend and at the moment they all agree that we'll get showers at some point. Some say Saturday some say Sunday. I'll have a look again tonight when the forecast will have been updated.
I've packed the umbrellas and wet weather gear so I'm prepared for all mother nature can throw at us :grin:

tornadof3

Post by tornadof3 »

Well that's the heavens opened up now!! Black clouds everywhere!

Blippie

Post by Blippie »

I love it when you get the reflection of the aircraft on the wet tarmac...

... as long as I am in the dry!

Frecce have just called off their rehersal.

Cheers

Blippie

tomw94

Post by tomw94 »

Drew64

Post by Drew64 »

Last year the RIAT was cancelled given the rainfall expected tonight

Andrew

garethbrum

Post by garethbrum »

Drew64 wrote:Last year the RIAT was cancelled given the rainfall expected tonight

Andrew

After two months of the same!

From the met office:

This Evening and Tonight:
A wet evening and night for much of the region with further showers or spells of rain, heavy in places and still with the risk of torrential downpours and localised flooding. Becoming windy across Cornwall and Devon. Minimum temperature 12 °C.

Friday:
Further rain or showers, northern parts of Devon and Cornwall perhaps seeing the heaviest rain. Becoming drier and brighter later in the day. Fresh to strong winds. Maximum temperature 17 °C.

jordan

Post by jordan »

Drew64 wrote:Last year the RIAT was cancelled given the rainfall expected tonight

Andrew

Last year was a different situation, though. Rainfall in the previous month had been well above average and the ground was already saturated by the time the heavy downpours hit during show week. The ground was already at capacity and could not absorb any more water, causing the floods that lead to the cancellation.

This year the ground is much drier as rainfall has been below average in the past couple of months. Tonight and tommorrow's rain might mean the ground is hardly up to picnic standard on Saturday, but it should be able to absorb enough of the water to make conditions acceptable. Not to mention the extra measures that have been taken this year to prevent a repeat of last year.

Having said all that, I don't doubt there'll be some very nervous organisers failing to get any sleep tonight as the rain comes down, with flashbacks of last year.
Last edited by jordan on Thu 16 Jul 2009, 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigfatron

Post by bigfatron »

Has anyone who is on-site said anything about current conditions underfoot on the base by the way?

Harlequin67
UKAR Supporter

Post by Harlequin67 »

In 2008 the rain on Wednesday was from about 6am until 11pm. Nearly 17 hours of non-stop rain on already saturated ground. The squalls that went over Fairford on Thursday and Friday last year were epic, on top of Wednesday's solid rain was the recipe that ruined RIAT last year.

This year the ground is drier and can absorb this amount of rain IMO.
Aviation photographer - Achievement unlocked

jordan

Post by jordan »

bigfatron wrote:Has anyone who is on-site said anything about current conditions underfoot on the base by the way?

Not heard anything about the state of the ground, but Dan's last Twitter update described the weather down there fairly vividly as a 'monsoon'.

I guess tommorrow morning will be the real test of how well the ground is holding out, after tonight's heavy rain has had time to soak in.

Still, I don't think there's anything to be getting too worried about just yet. I think we're all just getting a little over-anxious about it because many of us experienced the disappointment first hand last year, added to worry about the long-term repurcussions of two cancellations in a row. Let's think positive instead! :biggrin:

SEMAE

Post by SEMAE »

Ground was hard and dry when I left at 5pm when it started to rain. I do not think one night's rain is going to cause any problems. Last year the ground was already moist and soft days and weeks before the event.

Martin

bigfatron

Post by bigfatron »

Cheers guys, just planning what footwear to pack before I start heading south in the morning.

itfcscott
UKAR Staff

Post by itfcscott »

As long as they are water proof you will be fine :grin:

stuart n

Post by stuart n »

Latest I've heard from Kempsford is that the grass is quite wet but the ground is still firm.

APG

Post by APG »

Having seen tonight's BBC TV forecast, Saturday is the dry day and Sunday the not so dry day.

That's me there Saturday then

smacken

Post by smacken »

I've been keeping a watch on BBC and MetCheck, at the moment Saturday seems the best bet , so planning for Saturday :biggrin:
Canon 7D Mk2 ,Canon 100-400 Mk2 , 1.4x converter, 24-105mm F4 L..

Sulman

Post by Sulman »

smacken wrote:I've been keeping a watch on BBC and MetCheck, at the moment Saturday seems the best bet , so planning for Saturday :biggrin:

I'm trying not to worry about it. All of us are a little edgy after last year's disappointment. As long as it's reasonably dry I'll be happy.

DonH

Post by DonH »

Sulman wrote:
smacken wrote:I've been keeping a watch on BBC and MetCheck, at the moment Saturday seems the best bet , so planning for Saturday :biggrin:

I'm trying not to worry about it. All of us are a little edgy after last year's disappointment. As long as it's reasonably dry I'll be happy.

I have got to worry until my ferry sails in 8 hours. Conditons deteriorating. :sick:
DonH

lisa34

Post by lisa34 »

Fingers Crossed everyone, weather here in Aberdare today is awfull, it was pouring down here just now, hope that this weather doesnt pass over towards Fairford, looking forward to going down to The George in Kempsford later . The rain here has stopped for now so its obviously just very showery.

Have a good time all.

Lisa