Giant Aircraft Statue for display next to M6 in Preston

Giant Aircraft Statue for display next to M6 in Preston

Postby chrisward123 on Mon 18 Jan 2010, 1:08 pm

As a resident of Preston, we are celebrating the Preston Guild in '12 and as a city with aviation history Preston and BAE are working together to put up a giant sculpture of a aircraft next to the M6, Preston.
Project may cost up to 2.5 Million Squid.
http://www.lep.co.uk/news/Warplane-may-be-built-near.5989881.jp
2019 - RIAT, Blackpool & Southport
chrisward123

Re: Giant Aircraft Statue for display next to M6 in Preston

Postby Wes_Howes on Mon 18 Jan 2010, 1:38 pm

Got to love some of the comments below the article
The Angel of Death of the North
:grin:
Wes_Howes

Postby RoverDriver on Mon 18 Jan 2010, 2:39 pm

s
Last edited by RoverDriver on Sat 07 Jul 2012, 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
RoverDriver

Postby Flankerman on Mon 18 Jan 2010, 8:28 pm

chrisward123 wrote:As a resident of Preston, we are celebrating the Preston Guild in '12 and as a city with aviation history Preston and BAE are working together to put up a giant sculpture of a aircraft next to the M6, Preston.
Project may cost up to 2.5 Million Squid.
http://www.lep.co.uk/news/Warplane-may-be-built-near.5989881.jp

I was in the Preston Guild in 1952 (five years old at the time) - and can vaguely remember a Canberra fuselage being displayed on the back of a low loader.

They were built at nearby Samlesbury - of course it was cutting edge back then.....

I seem to remember being in the back of a sort of farm cart for the parade - part of the local church display - and dressed a bit like Robin Hood for some reason ???

It was 58 years ago - so my memory may be playing tricks....

Ken
Flankerman

Postby DeanW on Mon 18 Jan 2010, 10:28 pm

RoverDriver wrote:Why not put the project on hold for a while. I know of a big camouflaged Delta that might need a home when it eventually stops flying. It might be going a lot cheaper that £2.5m as well.

What about Woodford's Vulcan? It hasn't been scrapped yet and wouldn't be cheaper to restore than spending £2.5M on something new!
DeanW

Postby HOLTY on Mon 18 Jan 2010, 10:40 pm

TSR2
HOLTY

Postby centaurus18 on Mon 18 Jan 2010, 11:23 pm

Bung a redundant JP on a pole :)
Mark
'We’re in the stickiest situation, since Sticky the stick insect got stuck on a sticky bun.'
centaurus18

Postby ericbee123 on Tue 19 Jan 2010, 10:19 am

People, if they commission a sculpture, to :

a: Be as iconic as The Angel Of The North

b: Symbolise Preston's warplane making heritage

c: Cost under £ 2.5 million.

They will get a delta shaped blob on a rock which will be called "The Sky's the Limit" or "The Preston Flyer" or something equally lame.

The chances of it looking like a Lightning, a Typhoon, A Canberra or even remotely airplane like is very slim. They would say they are getting a model made, not a scultpure, if this was the intention. You dont pay a couple of million for a sculpture that looks remotely like what it is meant to.
Disclaimer-I have spell/grammar checked this post, it may still contain mistakes that might cause offence.
ericbee123

Postby HOLTY on Tue 19 Jan 2010, 10:55 am

Get Gormley in and see what he can knock up!!
HOLTY

Postby fg1 on Tue 19 Jan 2010, 2:11 pm

To be honest I'd rather see the £2.5m going towards keeping XH558 in the air with big BAe logos on her. If the decision to build the monument does go ahead then I'd like a less controversial sculpture based on a locally built aircraft which did so much sterling service in the war and in which so many brave crews lost their lives - the Halifax.
fg1

Postby chrisward123 on Tue 19 Jan 2010, 2:30 pm

fg1 wrote:To be honest I'd rather see the £2.5m going towards keeping XH558 in the air with big BAe logos on her. If the decision to build the monument does go ahead then I'd like a less controversial sculpture based on a locally built aircraft which did so much sterling service in the war and in which so many brave crews lost their lives - the Halifax.

Ahem to that!
I just think £2.5M is a ridicolous amount of money but then again it will definietly attract attention espically to BAE :smile:
I just think they should purchase and restore an aircraft either made at Woodford, Blackpool, Samlesbury or Warton.
Although in Muesums, shame DA2 and DA4 have gone as well as XL391 from blackpool, although I doubt they could have salvaged and restored that.

:vulcan:
2019 - RIAT, Blackpool & Southport
chrisward123

Postby Lomcevak26 on Tue 19 Jan 2010, 11:30 pm

fg1 wrote:To be honest I'd rather see the £2.5m going towards keeping XH558 in the air with big BAe logos on her

Me too - good call there!
Lomcevak26

Postby ericbee123 on Wed 20 Jan 2010, 9:47 am

A statue, which may or may not look like a warplane, but would probably be representative of a warplane, requires little ongoing maintenance. If you use a real warplane, you will need to keep it under constant maintenance to stop it looking shabby or rusting away in 10 years.

BAE are one of the companies Preston Council is in discussions with, it will probably be paid for by Preston Guild, Lancashire Council, BAE, other Private companies, Lottery Money, European Money and probably loads of other sources, IF, it ever gets built at all.

BAE are not putting £2.5 million into the project BUT , lets say for arguements sake they were. If given a choice and you were BAE and you did have £2.5million in a pot for PR stuff, would you :

a: Invest in a statue by the side of the oldest stretch of motorway in the UK which is also one of the busiest stretches of motorway in the UK (up to 150,000 vehicles passing it every day). It will last for ever ( hundreds of years ), be seen by tens of millions of people every year for decades,maybe even centuries, to come and could potentially be recognised as a national landmark.

b:Invest it in XH558 which MIGHT fly at some shows this year if your 2.5 million is not just lost in the bottomless money pit, but another sponsor will have to be found next year anyway, unless you want to pump 2.5 million in again next year too.
Disclaimer-I have spell/grammar checked this post, it may still contain mistakes that might cause offence.
ericbee123

Postby Epic Formacion on Wed 20 Jan 2010, 1:05 pm

How about a squadrons worth of GR9's that will shortly become available.
Epic Formacion

Postby Seahornet on Wed 20 Jan 2010, 3:50 pm

ericbee123 wrote:People, if they commission a sculpture, to :

a: Be as iconic as The Angel Of The North

b: Symbolise Preston's warplane making heritage

c: Cost under £ 2.5 million.

They will get a delta shaped blob on a rock which will be called "The Sky's the Limit" or "The Preston Flyer" or something equally lame.

The chances of it looking like a Lightning, a Typhoon, A Canberra or even remotely airplane like is very slim. They would say they are getting a model made, not a scultpure, if this was the intention. You dont pay a couple of million for a sculpture that looks remotely like what it is meant to.

The sculptors sometimes get it right though. I rather like this one, depicting a Gresley A4 Pacific (eg 'Mallard') emerging from a tunnel at speed....

And as the smart ship grew,
In stature, grace and hue,
In shadowy silent distance grew the iceberg too....
Seahornet

Postby ericbee123 on Wed 20 Jan 2010, 5:30 pm

Yeah, I like that one at Darlington as well.

But that only cost £ 760,000 so the scupltor probably felt honour bound to make something which looked like it was meant to.

For £ 2.5 million you get a crazy artists interpretation.

If they had spent £ 2.5 million in Darlington, instead of the Mallard, they would have got :

or $25 miillion gets you this in USA ! A proposed sculpture for $ 25 million.

The more you spend, the less likely it is too look like something or be a bit weird.

For Sale £ 850.

Just sold £ 11.2million

The problem with art, which is what a sculpture rather than a model is, is that it's cost is subjective. The artists will feel compelled to give you something more different with each Pound you spend on it.
ericbee123

Postby DOUGHNUT on Thu 21 Jan 2010, 6:35 pm

How about a compromise ? £500,000 for the sculpture to attract the visitors and £2 million for a nice big hangar to fill with real aeroplanes.
DOUGHNUT

Postby DeanW on Thu 21 Jan 2010, 7:50 pm

ericbee123 wrote:or $25 miillion gets you this in USA ! A proposed sculpture for $ 25 million.

Ha that's quality! :grin:
DeanW

Postby ForkTailedDevil on Sun 24 Jan 2010, 6:11 pm

Couple of points. BAE already have and continue to put a lot of support to XH558. Secondly, the Rochester site are currently under the gloomy umberella of 300 redundancies (20% of the work force) to go by May. £2.5M would go quite a way yo stop these.

Also, what ever they come up with it'll be better than we're going to get at Ebsfleet...
http://artbutnobecause.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/angel-of-the-south.jpg
Not to have an adequate air force is to compromise the foundations of freedom & independence.
ForkTailedDevil

Return to Aviation Waffle