RIAT 2022 Discussion Thread

All you'll ever need to know about the UK's biggest airshow
Bodz156

Re: RIAT 2022 Discussion Thread

Post by Bodz156 »

....a lot of people would say that the Austrian QRA demo, the Hungarian Gripen (dump and burn anyone...) and the Spanish Hornet definitely fit into the star item category.
I definitely would include all those 3, especially if the QRA demo is the same now as it was in 2016 at 'Airpower' & not a shortened version. The other 2 are amongst the rarest of the still active solo jet displays in Europe I'd say...

A question that may not have an answer yet....but for anybody who might know, will the Eastern park & view area be open/accessible from the showground on the Friday this year, as has been the case previously?

Bodz156

Post by Bodz156 »

capercaillie wrote:
Thu 16 Jun 2022, 3:19 pm

As for the comment it looks like a pig with lipstick. If only it did, at least it would have some character, as it is, its a bland as a beige chipboard coaster. Its nothingness has no boundaries. And everyone's look the same.
:joy: This!

Luke28

Post by Luke28 »

Aaaaagh interesting, I agree the flypasts and pull ups were immense.

G-CVIX

Post by G-CVIX »

Let's not forget that post COVID and with the current situation in Ukraine, this RIAT could have well been totally bland or possibly not even happened.

As it has turned out, we have one of the most exciting line-ups in recent years (in my opinion). Lots of variation. Lots of new and unique displays. Lots of static gems.

This "4th of July" theory seems to crop up every year and I'm not sure it's ever come to anything?

phreakf4

Post by phreakf4 »

capercaillie wrote:
Thu 16 Jun 2022, 3:19 pm
The USAF now perform a full aerobatic display with the F-35, its a proper display, not a few flypasts made up on the spot. You cannot compare the two.

As for the comment it looks like a pig with lipstick. If only it did, at least it would have some character, as it is, its a bland as a beige chipboard coaster. Its nothingness has no boundaries. And everyone's look the same.
[sarcasm] As previously stated, what a military aircraft looks like is far more important than how well it performs its allotted tasks....[/sarcasm]
nothing is confirmed at a show until its u/c hits the tarmac or it is running in for its display.....

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

Is it not feasible for the Swedish Historic Flight to perform some formation flybys, like they do at European shows?

cg_341

Post by cg_341 »

No, because that is a display, and they are not permitted to display over land in the UK.

JMC

Post by JMC »

I think the Americans could be announced on the 13th July because there are 13 stripes on the American flag, and it's close to show which is the first since RIATS 50th (50 stars on the flag). I've cracked how it's all transpiring. You can sleep easy now.

Waits for someone to bite the bait

AARDVARK

Post by AARDVARK »

cg_341 wrote:
Thu 16 Jun 2022, 4:24 pm
No, because that is a display, and they are not permitted to display over land in the UK.
Ooooo right ,i was always of the understanding that flybys were accepted, as per the MIG 15 that would sometimes display using flat manoeuvres and gentle turns?

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

AARDVARK wrote:
Thu 16 Jun 2022, 4:27 pm
cg_341 wrote:
Ooooo right ,i was always of the understanding that flybys were accepted, as per the MIG 15 that would sometimes display using flat manoeuvres and gentle turns?
They are. Although the rules have changed a couple of times I think its aerobatics by swept wing jets that are banned over land. The Swedish Draken, Viggen and Tunnan displayed between Bournemouth (or was it Eastbourne?) and Southport in 2019. They were subject to some restrictions but still aerobatic.

They appeared on static display at the one-off RIAT-organised Scampton show in 2017, so similar again this year.

Yet another fine update today. The Polaris will be great to see, I wonder what scheme we get.

DeanW

Post by DeanW »

AARDVARK wrote:
cg_341 wrote:
I thought that was because the Norwegian pilot is a UK display authorisation holder and the MiG-15 flies a non-aerobatic routine, allowing it to display over land despite it being swept wing.

Or is that outdated now? I'm losing track..

Wrexham Mackem
UKAR Staff

Post by Wrexham Mackem »

DeanW wrote:
Thu 16 Jun 2022, 4:38 pm
AARDVARK wrote:
cg_341 wrote:
I thought that was because the Norwegian pilot is a UK display authorisation holder and the MiG-15 flies a non-aerobatic routine, allowing it to display over land despite it being swept wing.

Or is that outdated now? I'm losing track..
to be honest Dean, so am I. :-)

bobby 1211

Post by bobby 1211 »

With the USAF 75th and a sabre already on static, I wouldn't mind seeing the Norwegian MiG-15 joining the static display, especially with its new 'captured' paint scheme
Also does anyone know why the flying bulls never attend riat? I would love to see their P-38 or F4U-4

I also have a question about the US DoD. When they attended Farnborough in 2018 was it the same F-16 that flew at RIAT? Just wondering why it was under US DoD, same as the apache and chinook.

Skylinerworld

Post by Skylinerworld »

bobby 1211 wrote:
Thu 16 Jun 2022, 4:41 pm

Also does anyone know why the flying bulls never attend riat? I would love to see their P-38 or F4U-4
The Flying Bulls attended a few years ago with a flying display.
Search 'AirportsAroundTheWorld' on FB
Search 'airports_around_the_world' on Insta
http://blog.skylinerworld.co.uk/

Bodz156

Post by Bodz156 »

bobby 1211 wrote:
With the USAF 75th and a sabre already on static, I wouldn't mind seeing the Norwegian MiG-15 joining the static display, especially with its new 'captured' paint scheme

I also have a question about the US DoD. When they attended Farnborough in 2018 was it the same F-16 that flew at RIAT? Just wondering why it was under US DoD, same as the apache and chinook.
The USAF didn't have a flying (or static) F-16 at RIAT in 2018....2019 yes, but not 18
The Flying Bulls have attended RIAT...2013 I think. Usually they're at Flying Legends that weekend so can't....

Skylinerworld

Post by Skylinerworld »

2013! Not quite a few years ago as I thought then! Though they did send their Sycamore in 2018.
Search 'AirportsAroundTheWorld' on FB
Search 'airports_around_the_world' on Insta
http://blog.skylinerworld.co.uk/

PanaviaTornado

Post by PanaviaTornado »

JMC wrote:
Thu 16 Jun 2022, 12:42 pm
HeyfordDave111 wrote:
Thu 16 Jun 2022, 12:40 pm
Re the Swedish......What would be nice is either a missed approach ot t&g on arrival, or tower giving them a chance to give us side views at our level (FRIAT) on departures day.
I just want to hear what the Viggen sounds like in afterburner, judging by videos it sounds a lot deeper than most!
I was at Scampton departures back in 2017 and the Viggen almost certainly didn't use its full AB, I think only zone 1 of the RM8. It was noticeably different in noise compared to seeing it at Waddington a few years earlier for a full demo. Hopefully given the size of RIAT we get more of a show with full beans, fuel/flight plan depending of course, fingers crossed. Still, just great to see them obviously.

I'm still hoping we get a Boeing F/A-18E/F, but that will depend on Farnborough. Lots of top notch FJ displays this year despite similar types, another one or two FJ types would complete this RIAT imho.

JMC

Post by JMC »

bobby 1211 wrote:

The one at Farnborough was The Pacific Air Forces F-16 Demonstration Team.

Bodz156

Post by Bodz156 »

Skylinerworld wrote:
Thu 16 Jun 2022, 4:52 pm
2013! Not quite a few years ago as I thought then! Though they did send their Sycamore in 2018.
Ahh yes, I'd forgotten the Sycamore....a result of being in Western P&V all week & Totterdown for the show days that year so I never actually saw it 😅

I still can't believe we have 2 Portuguese Epsilons coming all the way to the UK next month. 😊

CJS

Post by CJS »

Bodz156 wrote:
Thu 16 Jun 2022, 5:04 pm
Skylinerworld wrote:
Thu 16 Jun 2022, 4:52 pm
Ahh yes, I'd forgotten the Sycamore....a result of being in Western P&V all week & Totterdown for the show days that year so I never actually saw it 😅

I still can't believe we have 2 Portuguese Epsilons coming all the way to the UK next month. 😊
The B-25 looked pretty cool in the silver against a bright blue sky iirc. The Corsair also flew that year.
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"

UKAirshowTour

Post by UKAirshowTour »

Lovely update! Some nice heavies and only 16 days of work left for me until the show 😁

JMC

Post by JMC »

This is the most buzzing i've been for an airshow since I think RIAT 2017. My last one was Duxford 2019, and of course the past couple years being so tough on everyone, it's going to be such a good time.

JMC

Post by JMC »

Gosh i've been active today (the VPN is down at work, so do tell me to shut up).

Another thought that came to mind; The US Marine Corps displayed the F-35B at Singapore earlier this year and with it being a Farnborough year i'm wondering if they could potentially be sending that there and thus why the Air Force's demo team are holding out? (Doesn't it come out of the same military budget? If so there'd be no reason to send two F-35's to display?)

Mr Benn

Post by Mr Benn »

Maybe it was the initial tease of there seeming to be an announcement that the USA F35 was going to display, that it now feels a disappointment if it doesnt ? For me it is a shame as I dont care if it looks does look like a pig, as hearing the noise and seeing it hovver is all that matters ! Maybe I speak more for the casual airshow follower, who goes to a couple of shows a year, compared to many of you guys. Bottom line is any show is a bonus after the last few years.

CJS

Post by CJS »

Mr Benn wrote:
Thu 16 Jun 2022, 5:57 pm
Maybe it was the initial tease of there seeming to be an announcement that the USA F35 was going to display, that it now feels a disappointment if it doesnt ?
Was it ever actually anything more than a schedule gap though? Pretty sure the good ship DBH never said anything.
"There's only one way of life, and that's your own"