Gutter Press attack RAF Families' Days

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Ken Shabby

Re: Gutter Press attack RAF Families' Days

Post by Ken Shabby »

Presumably the same UKAR members will show the same disbelieving reaction the next time the press publishes a "Gordon Brown to build 6,000 houses for immigrants" story or such like ... or will they assume the story is correct?

Ken
Ken

Ben H
UKAR Supporter

Post by Ben H »

I wouldn't be reading News of the World, or any of the tabloids for that matter, so it wouldn't bother me a jot.

Hellfire

Post by Hellfire »

Spiny Norman wrote:So the News of the World have a go at the RAF over helicopters and Afghanistan on one day. Here's today's Sun.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/campaigns/our_boys/2567014/Winning-at-the-Millies-meant-a-lot-to-the-guys.html

Crazy world at times.

Wonder how much "joyriding" he did before going out to Afghan... :roll:

Bjcc

Post by Bjcc »

Ken

Correct, very little of whats printed in the press is true, or a full report. It's been getting worse for years. The only amazing thing is some people are stupid enough to believe anything other than the price is the truth!
Not a number, I'm a free man

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjcc/

2shae

Post by 2shae »

I am not entirely sure what the NOTW were trying to gain from this story. It is very poor journalism, and the editor should really be thinking twice about printing this, especially from a news(?) company that is meant to be "Supporting our heroes".

The problem of a shortage of helicopters comes from a lack of commitment from our government to support our Armed Forces. They are more than happy for them to fight wars with sub-standard equipment and a lack of resources whilst they work out how to best waste our money decorating their houses and gardens.

The article from the Sun really sums up why it is important to have any type of Armed Forces Families Days. It includes the simple line
Married dad-of-three Mark said:
. Having a family is obviously important in some aspects of the news group's reporting but not when it comes to a quick flight in a Chinook. The journalists seem to be very quick to forget those families that are sacrificing so much whilst their husbands, wives, fathers, mothers, sons and daughters are away.

I am more than happy for my hard earned cash to be forwarded to reward the families of service personnel in such a small way. Gutter journalism such as this, does not reward our Armed Forces and their families, it just causes more hardship. As a result, I am sure that many commanding officers will be warned to limit the amount that families can be given as a reward for their support.

DaveGriff

Post by DaveGriff »

Stupid right-wing gutter press (sorry Dan!). Anyone care to comment on the Vulcan, whose every flying moment is subsidised by the public, appearing at private events and families days? Just a thought...

AdamN

Post by AdamN »

DaveGriff wrote:Anyone care to comment on the Vulcan, whose every flying moment is subsidised by the public, appearing at private events and families days? Just a thought...

Maybe as a way of saying thankyou to the RAF for giving continued (albeit limited) support? It is currently sitting at one of their bases, after all!

Davef68

Post by Davef68 »

The whole story has the sniff of a certain other Armed Service leaking/spinning it as an anti-RAF story.

rig_pig_78

Post by rig_pig_78 »

i'm disgusted by this story, everything seems to be anti-RAF at the moment. what they don't mention is that at a place such as Odiham, a lot of those families have spouses and parents serving in Afganistan right now. these days are to say thank you to the families for what they have to put up with and the support they give.

Ken Shabby

Post by Ken Shabby »

I fully support service familes being given joyrides in Chinooks as a 'thank you' for all the support they give and the hardships they put up with. What I do object to is civilians getting rides in Chinooks at events just because they have the word "Commentator" on their back whilst their mates, who have been slogging their guts out all day, only get to look on.

Ken
Ken

DaveGriff

Post by DaveGriff »

Good things come to those with dulcet tones....

aceyone

Post by aceyone »

One of the reasons that I haven't read a newspaper for over a year, I just found them too politically biased and hardly believed anything that I read anyway and I dont miss them one little bit !
Don't know about those jets ,they spoil a very nice place

Vodka

Post by Vodka »

simply dont buy the paper. . . i have to dance with the devil Murdoch everytime my DD comes out of my bank account, just so i can watch tv with a decent reception!! news international! . . seen better looking faeces on the end of my bog brush!

Ben H
UKAR Supporter

Post by Ben H »

Yay for the Telegraph!

jaguarfarewellday

Post by jaguarfarewellday »

Scum of the world :loser: . What next no chinook display team as its not training :whistle:
what we have here is a complete lack of respect for the law !

Trevster
UKAR Supporter

Post by Trevster »

Unfortunately pish reporting is rife throughout every area of 'news'. Working for a football club, I attend and record many press conferences during a season and the nonsense that gets printed is beyond belief. After one 'misquote' incident, we placed the full audio of the press conference on our site for fans to listen to prompting complaints from the entire press corps as it 'might affect their sales'!!

It's all money, not truth or what's in the best interest unfortunately which is why I no longer buy a paper...
Canon Rebel T1
Canon EFS 18-55mm lens
Canon 75-300mm lens

PeterR

Post by PeterR »

Trevster wrote:It's all money, not truth or what's in the best interest unfortunately which is why I no longer buy a paper...

Moral used by the press - You should never let the truth get in the way of a good story!

TonyO

Post by TonyO »

Be careful who you tar with your comment, yoof...
Do you want the Aladeen news or the Aladeen news?

Epic Formacion

Post by Epic Formacion »

What is it with the gutter press and choppers? Was Jordan on holiday again........

Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

Trevster wrote:Unfortunately pish reporting is rife throughout every area of 'news'. Working for a football club, I attend and record many press conferences during a season and the nonsense that gets printed is beyond belief. After one 'misquote' incident, we placed the full audio of the press conference on our site for fans to listen to prompting complaints from the entire press corps as it 'might affect their sales'!!

It's all money, not truth or what's in the best interest unfortunately which is why I no longer buy a paper...

Football "journalism" must be the worst, for inaccurate, misleading and plainly made-up stories. How many times have you heard "There is interest from x club in y player" only for the club to say "There has been no contact." Then the story slowly dies away.

As for the idea that one service is using the press against the other - twas ever thus! Look at the history of aircraft development in the UK to see how inter-service rivalries have screwed up so many worthwhile projects.