BA 777 ATC conversation

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
121decimal5

BA 777 ATC conversation

Post by 121decimal5 »

This makes interesting listening...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8505174.stm

It's a the ATC chatter when the BA 777 crashed at Heathrow in January 2008. Although everyone's voices are showing signs of stress they maintain their professionalism and follow procedures.

DaveGriff

Re: BA 777 ATC conversation

Post by DaveGriff »

My goodness, that's gripping to listen to, especially when you hear all the klaxons going off on the flight deck. But as you say, extremely professionally handled.

MicrolightDriver

Post by MicrolightDriver »

ATC definitely earned his money that day - he even helped out with the actual evacuation by picking up on an inadvertent transmission by the Captain... :clap:

The official report into the whole situation was also posted today:-

AAIB Report

pb643

Post by pb643 »

Did anyone keep a copy of this recording?

It seems to have been pulled from everywhere including Youtube.

Did not get a chance to listen and would be interested to do so.

Regards

Phil

bennysdad

Post by bennysdad »

I downloaded it from a Swedish site to my PC but am not sure how to attach to this thread. Its a a .wmv file 5.31mb

MicrolightDriver

pb643 wrote:Did not get a chance to listen and would be interested to do so.

I haven't found the full version again, but there's an edited version of the audio still available in the attached article. It covers most of the event anyway.

Click to play the first of the two 'Video Report' segments which are at the bottom of the article:-

Mail Online

pb643

Post by pb643 »

MicrolightDriver wrote:
pb643 wrote:Did not get a chance to listen and would be interested to do so.

I haven't found the full version again, but there's an edited version of the audio still available in the attached article. It covers most of the event anyway.

Click to play the first of the two 'Video Report' segments which are at the bottom of the article:-

Mail Online

Thanks Microlight driver, most interesting. A shame that the ad. is about as long as the audio clip.

Phil

MicrolightDriver

Found the full version:-

LiveLeak

full360

Post by full360 »

Strange that the pilot used the incorrect callsign in the mayday call (BAW95 if I remember correctly).

Technically, the following aircraft that were switched visually to the departure runway, should not have landed because of the
reduced fire cover.

Easy for me to say from the comfort of my armchair I know !!

Cheers
F360

Tangoringo

Post by Tangoringo »

full360 wrote:Strange that the pilot used the incorrect callsign in the mayday call (BAW95 if I remember correctly).

Technically, the following aircraft that were switched visually to the departure runway, should not have landed because of the
reduced fire cover.

Cheers
F360

Funnily enough Speedbird 95 is the callsign regularly used in the 777 sim at LHR where all the emergency and abnormal training is carried out on the twice yearly checks-Amazing what stress does!

Ref the fire cover. I was in the hold over BIG when the incident occurred and there was already 5-10 mins holding prior to the accident. At the end of the day during extreme situations it's a judgement call and a call that has to be made very quickly. To have one dink is unlikely, to have two the chances would have been minute ( tho'not completely impossible of course! ) However,do you really want another a/c..or several,flying around the circuit on a PAN/Mayday in addition to the BA38 when you could jink them across to 27R albeit with fire services attending another incident?

We were shipped off to STN after we got the msg that there was no fire cover avail and our delay was not determined.

Like you said tho'....from the comfort of your chair it's easy!

Cheers.

BTW the ATC tape obviously contunues after the published bit. The poor tower guy does suddenly realise the enormity of what has just happened and his reaction is quite amusing!!!! ( Sorry can't print here as don't want to offend minors :oops: )

pb643

Post by pb643 »

MicrolightDriver wrote:Found the full version:-

LiveLeak

Thanks Microlight driver, that really is quite something, it certainly quickened my pulse.

Anyone able to explain the nature of the callsigns of the various groundunits?

Phil

full360

Post by full360 »

Thanks Tangoringo, PM sent 17th Feb.

Cheers
F360

Tangoringo wrote:
full360 wrote:Strange that the pilot used the incorrect callsign in the mayday call (BAW95 if I remember correctly).

reduced fire cover.

Cheers
F360

Funnily enough Speedbird 95 is the callsign regularly used in the 777 sim at LHR where all the emergency and abnormal training is carried out on the twice yearly checks-Amazing what stress does!

Ref the fire cover. I was in the hold over BIG when the incident occurred and there was already 5-10 mins holding prior to the accident. At the end of the day during extreme situations it's a judgement call and a call that has to be made very quickly. To have one dink is unlikely, to have two the chances would have been minute ( tho'not completely impossible of course! ) However,do you really want another a/c..or several,flying around the circuit on a PAN/Mayday in addition to the BA38 when you could jink them across to 27R albeit with fire services attending another incident?

We were shipped off to STN after we got the msg that there was no fire cover avail and our delay was not determined.

Like you said tho'....from the comfort of your chair it's easy!

Cheers.

BTW the ATC tape obviously contunues after the published bit. The poor tower guy does suddenly realise the enormity of what has just happened and his reaction is quite amusing!!!! ( Sorry can't print here as don't want to offend minors :oops: )

Tangoringo

Post by Tangoringo »

pb643 wrote:
MicrolightDriver wrote:Found the full version:-

LiveLeak

Thanks Microlight driver, that really is quite something, it certainly quickened my pulse.

Anyone able to explain the nature of the callsigns of the various groundunits?

Phil

Hi Phil,

Checker is a ground ops vehicle who normally carries out things like routine runway inspections,construction vehicle movements/shadowing, marshalling , that kind of thing.

Seagull is birdscaring and general ops.

Ops 2 ,more than likely ( bit of an assumption ) more senior ops manager.

Fire pretty obv!!!!

HTH

PS 360 reply sent via pm.Cheers.

Flares

Post by Flares »

Some of the most professional ATC I have ever heard. A huge bow of respect to all involved; everyone played a major part in saving lives that day however, the calm manner of ATC steals the show for me.

If Speedbird 95 is the sim callsign, it is not suprising that the pilot reverted to it as the emergency evolved. This, IMHO, demonstrates just how good the BA sim programme must be (I have no first hand experience of it) as he clearly switched to 'training mode' as soon as the bells went off.