UK Air Travel Disruption Due to Ash Cloud

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
trebleone
UKAR Supporter

Re: UK Air Travel Disruption Due to Ash Cloud

Post by trebleone »

ChrisM wrote:
Spiny Norman wrote:So all day NATS were saying that airports in the south wouldn't be open, and that no flights would be allowed under 20,000 feet, and then come 10pm tonight, suddenly a bunch of BA airliners appear from the US (including West Coast) and India and so on. Willie Walsh pops up to give a media statement soon after the CAA issue a statement at around 8pm saying the airspace was no longer closed.

Did BA get the nod 12 hours or so ago? Or did they just risk it and hope the authorities would roll over? There was me thinking the volcano (remember that) was still spouting ash and the weather wasn't going to clear the air over UK until the weekend. Hope those engine inspections are fine.

No we didn't get the nod - potentially all those aircraft would have had to divert but we ensured that they were loaded with sufficient fuel for extended holding as well.

Hmm ..... I wonder about the Thomas Cook flights coming in hot on the heels of the BA stuff .... TC being presumably holiday charter flights, would they have departed in the knowledge they would probably have to divert?

24left

Post by 24left »

Well done British Airways??? For doing what exactly?

Manonthefence

Post by Manonthefence »

ChrisM wrote:No we didn't get the nod - potentially all those aircraft would have had to divert but we ensured that they were loaded with sufficient fuel for extended holding as well.

That was an excellent call by whoever made it :win:

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

Look at the track for BAW102, Looks like it circled over Liverpool/Stoke on Trent, went down to Rouen , Paris and is now on its way back!

Russ

Post by Russ »

A Thomas Cook 757 went out of BHX ten minutes ago. First jet noise I've heard in six days, nice!

FGR2

Post by FGR2 »

Just watching flight TCX952P (Boeing 757 G-JMCF). Not sure whether it is a test flight, looks like it left Manchester, has been up over the Thames Estuary at about 38,000 feet, but has now descended to 26,000 feet south of Newmarket.

awesom_o

Post by awesom_o »

So, did BA pretty much force the authorities to lift the restrictions, or was it just a coincidence that the ban was lifted just as a number of BA planes were due to land shortly after the announcement was made. I'll admit I know very little about how the airline industry and air traffic control works, but I find it amazing that the situation seemed to change so quickly last night.
I'm glad to see things are moving again though.

Cruise Control

Post by Cruise Control »

BA knew that the restrictions might be getting lifted early on - the first I heard the strong rumour (from a very good source) was at 1500 yesterday.

We were expecting the restriction to be lifted at 1800 but this was put back due to the meeting - then all told as per press statement. The CAA were telling press more than the actual operators about what could be performed once the restriction was lifted, which was frustrating.

Apparently all G.A operators (most likely airilines too) have to do their own airtests and complete a FODCOM (issued at 2000 local last night) before they can fly with pax- some will ignore this (G.A more than likely) and perform flights today but will get stuck if they are not aware of this of which may well effect there flights tomorrow/audit findings to be raised if not going down the right channels. This FODCOM was issued when companies like BA had aircraft en-route but is also the reason why some will now depart this morning so they can get there paperwork sorted before they depart with fare paying passengers.

The company I work for only knew of this because we were manning the office in preperation to clear our backlog as we had the tip off earlier in the day about airspace possibly being lifted, but a few other G.A operators divert their phones in the evening and work from home and won't see/know this FODCOM until possibly after they had departed for there trips today - or will depart even if aware just so that they get flying :wat:

Is great that the restriction has been lifted but highly annoying that you can't really go until you have completed millions of pages of paperwork first. :wall:

johnnyboy

Post by johnnyboy »

With all the accusation that the airlines got this Government to back down and open air space I thought you might like to see the route of the first BA flight to land at Heathrow last night. Just to point out this is the holding pattern before the decision was made to reopen Heathrow. Someone in BA must have a crystal ball

138EAW

Post by 138EAW »

The two Red Arrows at scampton are up and practising :cool: 243.450. There was also a pair of 100Sqn hawks heard on the scanner 20 mins ago
Gary

raiford

Post by raiford »

Russ wrote:A Thomas Cook 757 went out of BHX ten minutes ago. First jet noise I've heard in six days, nice!

I saw a Thomson 737800 climbing out from BHX in a South West direction over Worcester just after 6.30am this morning.

I have to say it seems as though BA anticipated the lifting of the ban by at least 12 hours, given the flight time from India, China and Vancouver, and other airlines followed suit, at least I would hope that BA are not now dictating the rules and decisions over the NATS and CAA, a matter of principle and authority has to be maintained, but it did all seem a bit inconsistent with the European mainland flying 14000 flights yesterday!

Kip Casper

Post by Kip Casper »

FAAM 146 up doing analysis. Good few pages here including mission brief and flight path.

http://www.faam.ac.uk/index.php/position

http://www.faam.ac.uk/index.php/flying- ... ViNGU4ZmM=
http://www.gcse.com/english/there.htm - learn how to use 'their', 'there' and 'they're'.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher »

Tutors at Wyton have just started flying again.

Brian
The Future Of Photography Is Mirrorless

DUXFORDfotoGALLERY
DfG on Facebook

138EAW

Post by 138EAW »

Marham22 airborne :cool:

Cottesmore atis broadcasting
Coningsby atis broadcasting
Gary

prophecy

Post by prophecy »

awesom_o wrote:So, did BA pretty much force the authorities to lift the restrictions, or was it just a coincidence that the ban was lifted just as a number of BA planes were due to land shortly after the announcement was made. I'll admit I know very little about how the airline industry and air traffic control works, but I find it amazing that the situation seemed to change so quickly last night.
I'm glad to see things are moving again though.

As with KLM and Lufthansa, BA couldn't just keep hanging on and on and on with so many of their passengers stranded so far away whilst inept dithering slow coach Lord Adonis (amateur ZanuLabour, of course!) and Co basically just kept talking indecisive confused twaddle and scratching their heads.
(Where were those "hundred coaches" which useless steaming Brown dung assured were in Madrid taking stranded passengers there to sea ports?)
No-one from far afield would've known with absolute certainty that BA planes could land back here and so, as has already been said in this thread and was quite clear from watching some of the BA movements last night, aircraft were fuelled to be able, if necessary, to bypass or carry on and land in mainland Europe, likely Spain. Indeed one or two did end up doing that, exactly as contingently well prepared for.
And finally returned BA passengers on the news last night spoke highly of all BA had done for them regarding accomodation, being kept informed, flights back and everything. So could actually end up being some really good PR for BA if they now do as they say and "focus" on getting all their remaining customers abroad home as absolutely quickly as possible.
Credit where due to Willie Walsh i say. - And hope he firmly maintains staying strong against those stupid unions too! :biggrin:
Being pestered by personally abusive and bitter Lefties? - Don't suffer in silence! www.stalkinghelpline.org/

XM655

Post by XM655 »

Awac just left Waddington Heading North!
Travels the world working on oil rigs!!!!!!!!

DerekF

Post by DerekF »

If BA forced the ban to be lifted by flying the aircraft towards the UK and trying to embarrass the authorities into giving in then Willie Walsh should be fired. You don't gamble with fare-paying passengers like that.
If, as seems to be the case, BA got word the ban was likely to lifted and launched on that basis, preparing to divert if necessary, then fair enough.
The whole sorry affair seems to stem from the airlines themselves. For a while now they have been unable to agree a safe level of volcanic ash so the authorities banned flying in ANY detected ash. As that "zero-tolerance" now affects the airlines financially they want the rules changed. Funny that.

StephenEThomas

Post by StephenEThomas »

Shawbury seems to have reopened for business this afternoon as well. Squirrels up and about

Steve

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

61_OTU wrote:Shawbury seems to have reopened for business this afternoon as well. Squirrels up and about

Steve

Nicking Nuts :lol: :lol: Sorry couldn't resist
Did you hear about the dyslexic pimp? He bought a ware house!
Proud member of the Silverstone Marshalling Team

StephenEThomas

Post by StephenEThomas »

rdchawk wrote:
61_OTU wrote:Shawbury seems to have reopened for business this afternoon as well. Squirrels up and about

Steve

Nicking Nuts :lol: :lol: Sorry couldn't resist

Don't say that the Squirrels are full of nuts anywhere near here, you'll get lynched :grin:

chrisward123

Post by chrisward123 »

Just seen the 1st plane in the sky since it all happened :lol:
2020 - RIAT, Blackpool & Southport

138EAW

Post by 138EAW »

Waddington has just announced that all Lincolnshire based aircraft have been recalled to base after a tutor returned with ash on its wings
Gary

exocet_uk

Post by exocet_uk »

Typhoon also came back with, to quote 'a messed up engine'.

RichPittman
UKAR Staff

Post by RichPittman »

This hasnt made the press yet has it?
Are these over reactions?

Rich
Always remember "If you cannot turn tight...you cannot fight!"

Tonka pilot

Post by Tonka pilot »

exocet_uk wrote:Typhoon also came back with, to quote 'a messed up engine'.

Not good news by the sounds of things. :shock:

Well four harriers have just took off from Prestwick Airport ten minutes ago as I heard it on the scanner.