Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
Hurn

Re: Latest info on Sea Vixen"foxylady"?

Post by Hurn »

Oh I do love blue skies, sun, sand and Sea Vixen displays! :biggrin: :yahoo:

Rick

Post by Rick »

Unusually busy few days coming up for the Foxy Lady so get out there and support the shows she's at and let the organisers know you appreciate them booking her.
Then maybe in the future the most exciting warbird in Europe will get a few more bookings, which can only be a good thing. :yahoo:

Also can we have the Sea Vixen smilie back please :smile:

Cheers

Rick
Slackers of the World unite !
Tomorrow.

Hurn

Post by Hurn »

They've probably trebled their display bookings overnight. :grin:

StevenH

Post by StevenH »

Such a shame this wonderful aircraft only gets bookings on the back of the misfortune of another, it shouldn't be playing second fiddle to the Vulcan.

Hurn

Post by Hurn »

Hope it doesn't go u/s. :ninja:

howard500 fan

Post by howard500 fan »

has foxy lady taken the vulcans place at fly to the past at Oxford airport ?? :smile:

rdchawk

Post by rdchawk »

howard500 fan wrote:has foxy lady taken the vulcans place at fly to the past at Oxford airport ?? :smile:

Yes it has - check out the vulcan thread
Did you hear about the dyslexic pimp? He bought a ware house!
Proud member of the Silverstone Marshalling Team

Airspeed

Post by Airspeed »

rdchawk wrote:
howard500 fan wrote:has foxy lady taken the vulcans place at fly to the past at Oxford airport ?? :smile:

Yes it has - check out the vulcan thread

Many thanks for the heads up about this. Can anyone please confirm at what time the Vixen is scheduled to display at Oxford?

Tim

Mike

Post by Mike »

Won't it be a great day for the UK's classic jet population when TVOC finally decide that the Vulcan is no longer worth the millions pissed away on it, and cut the bloody thing up for pots and pans. Then airshow organisers might finally stop seeing the world through Vulcan-shaped spectacles and book some of the other UK (or dare I suggest European) classic jets a bit more often.

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden »

Mike wrote:Won't it be a great day for the UK's classic jet population when TVOC finally decide that the Vulcan is no longer worth the millions pissed away on it, and cut the bloody thing up for pots and pans. Then airshow organisers might finally stop seeing the world through Vulcan-shaped spectacles and book some of the other UK (or dare I suggest European) classic jets a bit more often.

No

Yes

Regardless of what you think of TVOC it will be a sad day the Vulcan flies for the last time.
(Mark Twain: There are lies, there are damn lies and then there are statistics)

Mike

Post by Mike »

iainpeden wrote:Regardless of what you think of TVOC it will be a sad day the Vulcan flies for the last time.

Not for the other classic jet operators, the cheers will be heard all the way from Coventry down to Exeter, via North Weald and Bournemouth.

phreakf4

Post by phreakf4 »

Mike wrote:
iainpeden wrote:Regardless of what you think of TVOC it will be a sad day the Vulcan flies for the last time.

Not for the other classic jet operators, the cheers will be heard all the way from Coventry down to Exeter, via North Weald and Bournemouth.

I would like to think that the other classic jet operators, who unlike most posting on here actually appreciate how difficult it is to operate a classic jet, would not be so churlish as to actually cheer at the "demise" of the Vulcan.

Part of the reason that so many show organisers book the Vulcan in preference to (for example) the Sabre or Sea Vixen is simply because the "Vulcan Effect" still works. That is to say that having the Vulcan on the programme does attract more "feet through the gate". Wonderful aircraft though the Sea Vixen undoubtedly is (and I for one will be delighted to see it at Shoreham and Dunsfold), the fact is that the oft-quoted (on here) "general public" do not hold it in such esteem as the Vulcan and while the Vixen might attract a few dozens, or even a few hundreds, of "enthusiasts" to a show who might not have attended had it not been there, the presence of the Vulcan has been proven to increase crowds at even the small shows by several thousand (I'm sure Oldtower and others involved in the organisation of Abingdon who post on here will bear me out on this) and is therefore a better "investment" than the Sea Vixen or other classic jets from the organisers' point of view.

A "straw poll" over the last couple of days amongst some of my aquaintances who have little more than a passing interest in aircraft confirms this. In most cases the answer to the question "Would you be more or less likely to attend an airshow if the Vulcan or the Sea Vixen were the main attraction?" was "What's a Sea Vixen?"

How long this situation will persist in anybody's guess, but whilst it does there will be little change in the ratio of Vulcan to Sea Vixen bookings.

Given that, it is not the case that the lack of the Vulcan would automatically increase bookings for other classic jets in comparison to the exposure they currently enjoy, which it must be remembered is far greater now than it was a few years ago. Ten years ago one was unlikely to see any Hunter other than the FRADU examples, now formations of six or more are almost expected at Kemble and Miss Demeanour appears at many shows. We also see Meteors, Vampires, Venoms and the JPs and Strikemasters quite frequently.
nothing is confirmed at a show until its u/c hits the tarmac or it is running in for its display.....

DamienB

Post by DamienB »

phreakf4 wrote:Ten years ago one was unlikely to see any Hunter other than the FRADU examples, now formations of six or more are almost expected at Kemble and Miss Demeanour appears at many shows. We also see Meteors, Vampires, Venoms and the JPs and Strikemasters quite frequently.

Looking back through some 2001 photos I see plenty of civilian owned Hunters from Kemble and Exeter (Miss D among them); Vampires and Venoms from Bournemouth and North Weald; Gnats from Cranfield and North Weald; Meteors from Kemble and Coventry; JPs and Strikemasters galore; L-29s; L-39s; the Sea Vixen... it was a rather healthier classic jet scene 10 years ago. 2001 also saw the 15 Hunter formation at Kemble.

phreakf4

Post by phreakf4 »

Perhaps I should have said "twenty years ago". At my age the difference between ten and twenty years is not that much!..... :smile:
nothing is confirmed at a show until its u/c hits the tarmac or it is running in for its display.....

MicrolightDriver

Post by MicrolightDriver »

Mike wrote:Won't it be a great day for the UK's classic jet population when TVOC finally decide that the Vulcan is no longer worth the millions pissed away on it, and cut the bloody thing up for pots and pans.....

by DanO1978 on Mon 27 Jun 2011, 2:47 pm

I don't think anyone is "anti-Vulcan", but many of us have severe question marks about the fundraising and back-stage operation.

:whistle:

Hurn

Post by Hurn »

Mike wrote:Won't it be a great day for the UK's classic jet population when TVOC finally decide that the Vulcan is no longer worth the millions pissed away on it, and cut the bloody thing up for pots and pans. Then airshow organisers might finally stop seeing the world through Vulcan-shaped spectacles and book some of the other UK (or dare I suggest European) classic jets a bit more often.

Lol, and some people were accusing VttS of spitting out the dummy the other day! :dummy:

Mike

Post by Mike »

Doesn't take much to get a bite out of you lot, does it! :lol:

In all seriousness, the increase in bookings for the wonderful, and under-appreciated Sea Vixen, over the past few days, only proves the point that the UK classic jet scene would be much better off without the Vulcan.

Damien, a few more for your list, we had airworthy T-33s and a Fouga Magister and MiG-15 in the UK not so many years back. Not to mention at least a couple of civilian-operated Canberras.

The only full restoration to flight of a classic jet (as opposed to aircraft being civilianised soon after retirement from military service) in recent years that I can think of has been the Meteor T7. Perhaps a better chance of more restorations will come with more potential airshow booking opportunities. Personally I'd love to see a civilian Seahawk, as the RNHF example seems to have spent most of the last 30 years on a knife-edge of funding and serviceability issues.

DamienB

Post by DamienB »

Dead right Mike, I'd missed the Canberras, T-33 and MiG-15 - and of course the F-86. Surprising just how many of the individual aircraft are no longer to be seen in our skies.

Mike

Post by Mike »

The sad thing is the lack of active restorations. With the recent generations of RAF retirements unlikely to see any examples preserved in airworthy condition, coupled with the sad situation of the Bournemouth Vampires and Venoms being left to rot into the dirt, I can only foresee a decline in the UK classic jet population in years to come. :sad:

phreakf4

Post by phreakf4 »

Mike wrote:...... we had airworthy T-33s and a Fouga Magister and MiG-15 in the UK not so many years back. Not to mention at least a couple of civilian-operated Canberras....

All of which ceased to fly before the Vulcan returned to the air show scene, so how were they disadvantaged by the Vulcan? Or could it be that the show organisers could not justify the cost of booking those aircraft in proportion to the extra attendance, if any, that they generated.

It is also worth noting that these aircraft stopped flying before the "credit crunch" and the subsequent belt-tightening by the majority of people in this country, whereas the Vulcan seems to have managed quite well during the "crunch", all things considered.

Whether the Vulcan is worthy of the public affection it so obviously attracts is a matter of opinion, but I do not believe that there would be some magical resurgence in the classic jet arena were it to cease flying.

It will, of course, end its flying days eventually, TVOC can only stretch out their limited supply of engines for so long, even if airframe hours were not an issue. It will be interesting to see what, if anything, replaces the Vulcan as a major public attraction at air shows. I suspect there will be no such replacement and many of those on here denigrating the Vulcan will be instead posting nostalgic hypocrisy about how the air show scene was so much better "when we had the Vulcan".

howard500 fan

Post by howard500 fan »

I agree the classic jet scene is In decline and we have some airworthy aircraft like the bruntingthorpe lightning and hawker aviation buccaneer :smile:

MicrolightDriver

Post by MicrolightDriver »

Mike wrote:Doesn't take much to get a bite out of you lot, does it! :lol:

In all seriousness, the increase in bookings for the wonderful, and under-appreciated Sea Vixen, over the past few days, only proves the point that the UK classic jet scene would be much better off without the Vulcan...

Don't think anyone's biting, just laughing.

If you like to think that the loss of a major, crowd pleasing star in favour of booking aircraft to which the paying public are relatively indifferent is good for the industry ( and in turn the 'classic jet scene' ) then you carry on. :smile:

howard500 fan

Post by howard500 fan »

oh dear i got the wrong thread :lol: :lol: :lol:

DanH

Post by DanH »

The reason the Vulcan is so popular is because it is liked by both the general public and the enthusiast community. There aren't many aircraft on the airshow scene at the moment that appeal to both but 558 is certainly one of them. Turning it into pots and pans as you suggest would disappoint a hell of a lot of people.

I agree entirely that it would be great to see more of the Sea Vixen and other classic jets at airshows, but trying to suggest that the Vulcan is stopping this from happening and should, metaphorically speaking, fall on its sword is frankly ludicrous. If anything, I think that the restoration of 558 could pave the way for further restorations of more advanced jets.
Always seeking to lower the tone...

https://danhphotography.picfair.com/

Mike

Post by Mike »

howard500 fan wrote:oh dear i got the wrong thread :lol: :lol: :lol:

More like wrong planet! :lol: