Best examples of aircraft improvisation?

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
stonesfan

Best examples of aircraft improvisation?

Post by stonesfan »

I suggested on another thread in a very tongue in cheek manner that VC-10's could have been converted into carrying bombs for use in the Falklands.

However, are there any actual examples of aircraft being used in a role that they clearly werent designed for?

And no points for saying 'Tornado F3'!!!

DeanW

Re: Best examples of aircraft improvisation?

Post by DeanW »

Not quite improvisation but wasn't the Jaguar originally designed as a supersonic trainer?

Seahornet

Post by Seahornet »

How about the Vulcan B2(K) tankers? I believe part of the hose drum housings were fabricated from plywood! :shock:

(photo - Ron Sharpe)
And as the smart ship grew,
In stature, grace and hue,
In shadowy silent distance grew the iceberg too....

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

Do B50 into Stratocruiser and Lanc into York count, or do they have to be effectively non-modified aircraft? Tu95 to Tu114?
Listen to that Gipsy music.....

Dragon Rapide

stonesfan

Post by stonesfan »

Dragon Rapide wrote:Do B50 into Stratocruiser and Lanc into York count, or do they have to be effectively non-modified aircraft? Tu95 to Tu114?

I'd say they just about count!

What about F1-11? Was that not designed as an interceptor for possible carrier use?

LN Strike Eagle
UKAR Staff

Post by LN Strike Eagle »

Did they not fit AIM-9 Sidewinders to Nimrods at one point?
"You really are an oafish philistine at times!"

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

Jet Provost to Strikemaster. And just thought - wasn't there a passenger conversion of the B 24 Liberator called the Liberator Clipper, or something like that?

Dragon Rapide

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

stonesfan wrote:
Dragon Rapide wrote:Do B50 into Stratocruiser and Lanc into York count, or do they have to be effectively non-modified aircraft? Tu95 to Tu114?

I'd say they just about count!

What about F1-11? Was that not designed as an interceptor for possible carrier use?

Yes, but at the same time as the strike version, so no different to the F-4 for example. If you're going into Stratocruiser, York territory you could be there forever as they're purely lineage developments for different roles - Shackleton, Tu104/Tu16, Nimrod, Hastings, Cobra/Iroquois etc all of which are doing the role they were designed for.

A KB-50 tanker would be a far better example, like the Vulcan K2 mentioned above.

The Argentinian bomber Hercules would be another good example, or bad depending on success!
"The surrogate voice of st24"

My flickr photos https://www.flickr.com/photos/146673712@N06/

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

The OP seemed to think they were just about valid. Surely KB 50 is no less a lineage development than those I suggested. Might need a ruling here..... :smile: But I suppose the Herc is an "oddball" and limited development. Perhaps my suggestion of the B 24 to passenger/VIP version is along similar lines....

Dragon Rapide

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie »

Not sure about the Herc bomber being included as its just another palletized load to throw out the back! :dunno: Yanks were already doing it anyway.
Arabest,
Geoff.
52 in a year! We must be certifiable!

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

Dragon Rapide wrote:The OP seemed to think they were just about valid. Surely KB 50 is no less a lineage development than those I suggested. Might need a ruling here..... :smile: But I suppose the Herc is an "oddball" and limited development. Perhaps my suggestion of the B 24 to passenger/VIP version is along similar lines....

But the KB-50 was designed as a bomber (beefed up B-29) and became a tanker, a Stratocruiser was designed as an airliner/transport albeit using technology already to hand with the B-29.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

ArabJazzie wrote:Not sure about the Herc bomber being included as its just another palletized load to throw out the back! :dunno: Yanks were already doing it anyway.
Arabest,
Geoff.

But it wasn't a bomber and was being used as one, clearly what the OP was suggesting.

To the list you could add almost every water bomber (CL215/415 excluded) as I'm sure no-one envisaged the Neptune or 747 on the drawing board as such.

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

Taking a Sea King and turing it into an AEW platform within a few weeks is a good example?
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

SPLAT

Post by SPLAT »

The Nimrod did have sidewinders fitted , it was a running joke at the Confederate Airshow when it displayed.
Imagine an American commentator "The biggest fighter in the worrrrrrrrrrld".
That and the Scottish tea that it carried!!!!

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie »

But there was very little if any modification to the Herc to carry out the task which is what i read as what the OP eluded to! He did mention plywood in the Vulcan mod.

But seen as you mentioned the Stratocruiser, what about the Guppy conversions? Not just the Super Guppy but the A-300 Beluga, Boeing LCF and Bournemouths Conroy CL-44. There is also the Carvair DC-4s(i think) and a few others along similar lines.

Someone mentioned Nimrods, im sure pylons came from Phantoms with a wee bit of a "mod" to fare them in. Then you have to include the temporary fuel probe installation that lasted 25+ years! Going back to Vulcans, im sure the mod to fit Shrike pylons was a bit Heath Robinson!!!
Arabest,
Geoff.

capercaillie

Post by capercaillie »

ArabJazzie wrote: what about the Guppy conversions? Not just the Super Guppy but the A-300 Beluga, Boeing LCF and Bournemouths Conroy CL-44. Geoff.

But all of those were designed on the drawing board to do a job that they do.

Quoting OP - "However, are there any actual examples of aircraft being used in a role that they clearly werent designed for?"

:snack:

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie »

capercaillie wrote:
ArabJazzie wrote: what about the Guppy conversions? Not just the Super Guppy but the A-300 Beluga, Boeing LCF and Bournemouths Conroy CL-44. Geoff.

But all of those were designed on the drawing board to do a job that they do.

Quoting OP - "However, are there any actual examples of aircraft being used in a role that they clearly werent designed for?"

:snack:

Most were converted from airframes that were designed for other uses? I think only the Beluga was as such when it left the factory for the first time. So the way im thinking, Boeing designed the 377 for passenger transport, Aero Spacelines modified it to take outsized loads, ie, space rockets. Canadair redesigned the Britannia as a freighter then Conroy(same company owner as Aero Spacelines) modified it to transport outsized loads, in this case, RR RB-211 Engines. In the modern age, Boeing along with others modified the passenger carrying 747 into the BLCF to carry their outsized loads. Ive not included the likes of 767Fs and the like as not enough of a modification.

What about Mosquito used for pax flights?
Arabest,
Geoff.

DeanW

Post by DeanW »

pbeardmore

Post by pbeardmore »

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/sh ... 30/page161

Hercules seems a fair enough nomination to me
“The best computer is a man, and it’s the only one that can be mass-produced by unskilled labour.”

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

As posted earlier the B 24 was definitely not designed to carry passengers. :smile:

Dragon Rapide

fs9demon

Post by fs9demon »

How about the Gunship transformations

C-47 Skytrain -----> AC-47 Spooky

C-119 Flying Boxcar -----> AC-119G/K Shadow/Stinger

C-130 Hercules -----> AC=130H/U Spectre/Spooky

Do they warrant a mention?
Formally UKVoodoo (FS9 video wizz)

Spring Chicken to S***ehawk in 1 easy lesson
Daga Daga Daga Daga Daga

Eelmoor

Post by Eelmoor »

Saw this on another forum, does it count ?

http://ghostgrey.gaetanmarie.com/articl ... tfires.htm
Live SBS streaming for the Farnborough area http://farnborough.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=rad

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie »

pbeardmore wrote:http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/showthread.php?107232-Falklands-30/page161

Hercules seems a fair enough nomination to me

Sorry chaps, was always told that these were pallet loads more akin to the fuel/air bombs the US Hercs have employed in the past. But then it is only a pylon load. :whistle:

Fuel probe fitment to the Nimrod has my top vote anyway as it was executed quickly and was successful for many years.
Arabest,
Geoff.

Dragon Rapide

Post by Dragon Rapide »

Eelmoor wrote:Saw this on another forum, does it count ?

http://ghostgrey.gaetanmarie.com/articl ... tfires.htm

This is the best yet!! :lol:

Dragon Rapide

ForkTailedDevil

Post by ForkTailedDevil »

Dragon...saw this yesterday...not only a good and forgotten tail but includes a B24 Clipper..
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17011105
Not to have an adequate air force is to compromise the foundations of freedom & independence.