Red Arrows to remain at RAF Scampton.

Discuss all things 'aviation' that do not fit into a more appropriate forum
JBartlett

Red Arrows to remain at RAF Scampton.

Post by JBartlett »

Hi all,

Thought I post what I just saw on the BBC news website http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-li ... e-18493345

Good news on the old RAF base :clap: sorry if already posted.

Cheers
James
RIP Red 4, Flight Lieutenant Jon Egging 1978 - 2011
RIP Red 5, Flight Lieutenant Sean Cunningham

RoverDriver

Re: Red Arrows to remain at RAF Scampton.

Post by RoverDriver »

Last edited by RoverDriver on Tue 10 Jul 2012, 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Concorde216

Post by Concorde216 »

Speaking of the Reds, are they going to be taking part in the opening ceremony for the Olympics?

DanH

Post by DanH »

Concorde216 wrote:Speaking of the Reds, are they going to be taking part in the opening ceremony for the Olympics?

The Daily Fail would have a field day if they aren't. :lol:

I seem to recall a few years back that there was a completely unfounded rumour being spread around by the tabloids that the Reds weren't going to be involved because they were 'too British' and the organisers didn't want to offend the foreigners in attendance.

Edit to add: just had a browse through the results of a quick google search - it seems they will be performing flypasts over Cardiff, Belfast, Edinburgh and London on 27th July to mark the opening of the games.
Always seeking to lower the tone...

https://danhphotography.picfair.com/

Mixed grill

Post by Mixed grill »

The BBC report that work will be done on Scamptons runway later this year, where will the Reds be based while said work takes place ?
"Access to the cockpit is difficult, and it is recommended that it be made impossible"

Arthur Tee

Post by Arthur Tee »

Mixed grill wrote:The BBC report that work will be done on Scamptons runway later this year, where will the Reds be based while said work takes place ?

Wouldn't be surprised if they used Cranwell. It's quite a bit quieter there now the Dominies have gone...

Arthur
Canon PowerShot SX40HS - It's not what you've got - it's what you do with it!

JBartlett

Post by JBartlett »

Concorde216 wrote:Speaking of the Reds, are they going to be taking part in the opening ceremony for the Olympics?

Come on thats going to be the highlight of the Olympics seeing the Red Arrows doing a flypast :grin:

Mixed grill wrote:
The BBC report that work will be done on Scamptons runway later this year, where will the Reds be based while said work takes place ?

I guess they could go to RAF leeming but I think they went to RAF Cranwell in the past when Scampton been out use.

James
RIP Red 4, Flight Lieutenant Jon Egging 1978 - 2011
RIP Red 5, Flight Lieutenant Sean Cunningham

Mr Benn

Post by Mr Benn »

Flying over a stadium is always a farce for those in the stadium itself. You see about 0.5 seconds of the planes.

AMB

Post by AMB »

I have photos of the Japanese "Blue Impulse" team in 1964 (I think) when they had F-86F Sabres, making Olympic Rings in smoke overhead the games. I guess this would be too much to expect that of the Red Arrows. Also no doubt H&S would have a hand in any 'potential risk' of anything flying over the Stadium and would immediately clamp down on it! :sad:
Adrian

ericbee123

Post by ericbee123 »

AMB wrote:I have photos of the Japanese "Blue Impulse" team in 1964 (I think) when they had F-86F Sabres, making Olympic Rings in smoke overhead the games. I guess this would be too much to expect that of the Red Arrows. Also no doubt H&S would have a hand in any 'potential risk' of anything flying over the Stadium and would immediately clamp down on it! :sad:

They would run the risk of getting sued for trademark infringement too, if they didn't get the right permissions to draw rings.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... orist.html
Disclaimer-I have spell/grammar checked this post, it may still contain mistakes that might cause offence.